209 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

Bertogliat wrote…

The problem with adding Brock to the Wild is the Wild already have enough 6’0″ 190 lb defenseman….or smaller.

Benn has size and he’s a goddam cone out there

Faber is basically Brodin size and I think Faber plays bigger than his listed weight. I don't think his size is necessarily an issue as I think people tend to overestimate how big the average NHL player actually is listed at league-wide.

"The average NHLer is 73.33" (6' 1 1/3") tall, weighs 204.42 lbs, and is 27.36 years old. The average forward is 72.93" (6' 1") tall, weighs 202.4 lbs, and is 27.1 years old."

I'm sure Faber could add a few pounds and be just fine as he matures.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1996
Post on old board: 5631

I don't think Faber's size will hamper him at much at all. That's just not his game. I do agree with the point that you can't build an entire d-core of poke checkers though. I would try to build a defense with 4 guys like Brodin, Dumba, Faber and then have a right handed and left handed version of a Jacob Middleton type player. Ryan O'Roarke isn't a huge guy, but he plays with quite a bit of ahole in his game

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

J22 wrote...

I don’t think Faber’s size will hamper him at much at all. That’s just not his game. I do agree with the point that you can’t build an entire d-core of poke checkers though. I would try to build a defense with 4 guys like Brodin, Dumba, Faber and then have a right handed and left handed version of a Jacob Middleton type player. Ryan O’Roarke isn’t a huge guy, but he plays with quite a bit of ahole in his game

Yes. Individually the size isn't an issue.  But in the NHL you need defenseman with size and the Wild are not very big on the blue line.

ReplyQuote
fishingmn
(@fishingmn)
Member Golden
Rep Pts: 7

Stanley Cup winning Av's top defensemen:

Cale Makar 5'11"  187lb

Devon Toews 6'1"  191lb

Bo Byram 6'1"  190lb

Sam Girard 5'10"  170lb

Yes, they have Manson & Erik Johnson but those guys aren't their top players.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1250
Post on old board: 6912

fishingmn wrote...

Stanley Cup winning Av’s top defensemen:

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

Yes, they have Manson & Erik Johnson but those guys aren’t their top players.

And Jack Johnson, who is thick. Girard missed the last 2 series, that’s a deep D core. I’m Avs are one of few (maybe the only team) with a better Defenseman group than the Bolts…the difference being Makar!

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

fishingmn wrote...

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

But Manson and Johnson ate up a bunch of PK minutes and that allows Colorado to run a smaller group of D at even strength.

ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Elite Prospects lists Faber at 6' 190. Gophersports.com has him at 6'1" 200. Seems to me his size isn't an issue.

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

fishingmn wrote...

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

It's not a universal rule.  If you have to talent at forward that the Avs enjoy and a player like Makar on the blue line, you can obviously win with smaller D corps.  But I've seen the Wild get pushed around in the playoff after flourishing in the regular season.  It gets old.  Size does make a difference once the big boy pants go on.

ReplyQuote
Thirty-Four
(@thirty-four)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 182
Post on old board: 7524

Bertogliat wrote...
fishingmn wrote…

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

It’s not a universal rule.  If you have to talent at forward that the Avs enjoy and a player like Makar on the blue line, you can obviously win with smaller D corps.  But I’ve seen the Wild get pushed around in the playoff after flourishing in the regular season.  It gets old.  Size does make a difference once the big boy pants go on.

Also, Girard got absolutely destroyed by a clean hit in Game 3 of their second round series by a league average sized forward and missed the final 2.5 series. Size is more important once the playoffs start for certain.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Thirty-Four wrote...
Bertogliat wrote…
fishingmn wrote…

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

It’s not a universal rule.  If you have to talent at forward that the Avs enjoy and a player like Makar on the blue line, you can obviously win with smaller D corps.  But I’ve seen the Wild get pushed around in the playoff after flourishing in the regular season.  It gets old.  Size does make a difference once the big boy pants go on.

Also, Girard got absolutely destroyed by a clean hit in Game 3 of their second round series by a league average sized forward and missed the final 2.5 series. Size is more important once the playoffs start for certain.

lol…Barbachev had Girard in a vulnerable position behind the Avs net retrieving a puck and literally left his feet while delivering the hit…so calling that a clean hit is laughable (whether it resulted in a penalty or not) it was thrown in a dirty manner. But…what comes around goes around…that’s what happened subsequently, when Kadri ran the Blues goalie, knocking him out of the series (too).

ReplyQuote
Thirty-Four
(@thirty-four)
Lucia Level Golden

bearpaw28 wrote...
Thirty-Four wrote…
Bertogliat wrote…
fishingmn wrote…

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

lol…Barbachev had Girard in a vulnerable position behind the Avs net retrieving a puck and literally left his feet while delivering the hit…so calling that a clean hit is laughable (whether it resulted in a penalty or not) it was thrown in a dirty manner. But…what comes around goes around…that’s what happened subsequently, when Kadri ran the Blues goalie, knocking him out of the series (too).

He didn’t leave his feet to hit him, when contact occurs, you leave your feet, big difference. It would have been boarding possibly in the regular season. It’s hard to argue that a league average D Man isn’t less likely to end up with a fractured sternum in my opinion. This isn’t a Blues thing, it’s I’d prefer 4 league average D and 2 shrimps at most. Perunovich gets hurt climbing the boards…

ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I'll disagree with the statement that "when contact occurs, you leave your feet"

Lots of players are in control when they initiate checks and do not leave their feet

ReplyQuote
Thirty-Four
(@thirty-four)
Lucia Level Golden

Chill Kessel wrote...

I’ll disagree with the statement that “when contact occurs, you leave your feet”

Lots of players are in control when they initiate checks and do not leave their feet

I’d always end up popping up unless I really ran a guy.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Thirty-Four wrote...
bearpaw28 wrote…
Thirty-Four wrote…
Bertogliat wrote…
fishingmn wrote…

Cale Makar 5’11”  187lb

Devon Toews 6’1″  191lb

Bo Byram 6’1″  190lb

Sam Girard 5’10”  170lb

He didn’t leave his feet to hit him, when contact occurs, you leave your feet, big difference. It would have been boarding possibly in the regular season. It’s hard to argue that a league average D Man isn’t less likely to end up with a fractured sternum in my opinion. This isn’t a Blues thing, it’s I’d prefer 4 league average D and 2 shrimps at most. Perunovich gets hurt climbing the boards…

It was a dirty hit…period. As far as your comment about Perunovich…well…he can’t hear U, he has an NCAA Championship ring plugging both ears ??

ReplyQuote

Thirty-Four
(@thirty-four)
Lucia Level Golden

Then I guess you should stick to watching Squirt games. As far as Puny sticking his rings in his ears, he did and he's going to be out for 40 games with ear chafing.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Chill Kessel wrote...

I’ll disagree with the statement that “when contact occurs, you leave your feet”

Correct.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12651
Post on old board: 9626

Oh Boy.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1544714704995504128

https://twitter.com/animalsofhockey/status/1544722613804621824

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1544816310839803908

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Seems like a really good deal to get a 3rd year out of Middleton at that price. I thought he was really good for the Wild and helped Spurgeon quite a bit.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Hoping we get one of Snuggerud, Chesley or Rinzel?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

With two picks in each of the first two rounds I’ll be curious if they bundle some to move up or if they take 4 players.

I like the idea of drafting 4 solid players and hope they develop into NHL talent in a few years.

But I don’t know where the talent pool drops off.  Good luck to the Wild!

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Bertogliat wrote...

With two picks in each of the first two rounds I’ll be curious if they bundle some to move up or if they take 4 players.

I like the idea of drafting 4 solid players and hope they develop into NHL talent in a few years.

But I don’t know where the talent pool drops off.  Good luck to the Wild!

From what I have heard/read, the top end of the draft isn't anything special but there's an unusual number of "solid" prospects. Probably explains why we have seen a guy like Rinzel projected to go anywhere from around #20 to somewhere in the 50's.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1545179910028812290

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Hope Guerin has a deal lined up elsewhere to move Talbot, otherwise this deal makes very little sense

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4068
Post on old board: 9428

J22 wrote...

Hope Guerin has a deal lined up elsewhere to move Talbot, otherwise this deal makes very little sense

I’d be fine with Talbot and a young backup with potential. Didn’t see anything in the playoffs from Fleury to think he’s gonna carry the Wild anywhere.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Bigbeer wrote...
J22 wrote…

I’d be fine with Talbot and a young backup with potential. Didn’t see anything in the playoffs from Fleury to think he’s gonna carry the Wild anywhere.

I'd be fine with either Talbot or Fleury and a young backup. When you're already strapped for cash, I don't see how having two 35+ year old #1 goalies makes any sense.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

J22 wrote...
Bigbeer wrote…
J22 wrote…

I’d be fine with either Talbot or Fleury and a young backup. When you’re already strapped for cash, I don’t see how having two 35+ year old #1 goalies makes any sense.

Trade Talbot for a draft pick and be done.  Send him to Arizona.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Please take Brad Lambert. Thanks

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1545084576707526662?s=20&t=TXcqM5F6Zzmpifs2P6zrQQ

Also as iffy as Talbot is I'd have preferred they not re-sign MAF.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Wonder what Mrs Talbot has to say about it? :popcorn:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1545442089642725379

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10656
Post on old board: 21741

During the third round?

Does that mean Cam's agent doesn't think he's worth any more than a fourth round choice?  B-)

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote...

Guerin has confirmed both players could miss the start of the season https://t.co/lIVCWY0boz — Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) July 7, 2022

Also as iffy as Talbot is I’d have preferred they not re-sign MAF.

It may be my brain fog due to me being sick, but I don't get why you didn't want them to resign MAF because Talbot is "iffy?"  What do you mean?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

frozen4champs wrote...

Wonder what Mrs Talbot has to say about it? :popcorn:

Cam Talbot's agent George Bazos met with Wild GM Bill Guerin during the third round here.
“We both stated our positions,'' Bazos said via text message. “Billy has a lot to think about.''
?— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) July 8, 2022

It sounds like Talbot wants out (backs up his wife's stance after the playoffs).  "We both stated our positions" sounds like a nice way to say Bazos demanded Bill he needs to do move Talbot.  Weird to do in the middle of the draft.

I know what they say about assumptions, but I can't help it. It's a good thing I am not a GM, because I'd take this and park his arse at the end of the bench for all games except back-to-backs.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

How do you re-sign Fleury without at least knowing Talbot's thoughts on it? What a cluster-

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

J22 wrote...

How do you re-sign Fleury without at least knowing Talbot’s thoughts on it? What a cluster-

I've heard Guerin interviewed about the goalie situation recently and he was point blank asked how he's handling it.  Bill said he hoped to resign "Flower."  But he also made a point to clearly state "Talbot is under contract so he isn't going anywhere."  I thought at the time it was a message to Talbot and his agent.

Bill knows Talbot's thoughts on it.  No doubt in my mind.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

J22 wrote...

How do you re-sign Fleury without at least knowing Talbot’s thoughts on it? What a cluster-

I think Cam knew all along this was a possibility and what do you think his response would have been? I guess I'm old school. If you think you should be the #1 goalie, go out and prove it on the ice. We just got done with 10 years of 2 players being GM's in the locker room, so I don't want to go back to those days.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

frozen4champs wrote...
J22 wrote…

I think Cam knew all along this was a possibility and what do you think his response would have been? I guess I’m old school. If you think you should be the #1 goalie, go out and prove it on the ice. We just got done with 10 years of 2 players being GM’s in the locker room, so I don’t want to go back to those days.

Talbot did exactly that. Billy's guy still got to start the playoffs

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Bertogliat wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

Guerin has confirmed both players could miss the start of the season https://t.co/lIVCWY0boz — Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) July 7, 2022

Also as iffy as Talbot is I’d have preferred they not re-sign MAF.

It may be my brain fog due to me being sick, but I don’t get why you didn’t want them to resign MAF because Talbot is “iffy?”  What do you mean?

I'm saying that while Talbot might not be a top-flight goalie in the league, I think they still could do without MAF.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Fluery was 9-2 with a 2.74 GAA and 910 SV%

Talbot was 32-12-4 with a 2.76 GAA and 911 SV%

Seems like a coin flip to me, but I did state at the time they should have gone to Cam earlier in the playoffs.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

frozen4champs wrote...

Fluery was 9-2 with a 2.74 GAA and 910 SV%

Talbot was 32-12-4 with a 2.76 GAA and 911 SV%

Seems like a coin flip to me, but I did state at the time they should have gone to Cam earlier in the playoffs.

Now look at Talbot's last 15-20 games.

The bigger point is that it would have been a good idea to know Talbot 's thoughts on the matter before the draft happened.  Lots of goalies got traded in the last 2 days. Might have been a good time to know what you could've got for Talbot.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Would love for the Wild to go Kurth here I’m shocked he hasn’t been taken yet

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10656
Post on old board: 21741

Aren't they both Guerin's guys?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Bertogliat wrote...
J22 wrote…

I’ve heard Guerin interviewed about the goalie situation recently and he was point blank asked how he’s handling it.  Bill said he hoped to resign “Flower.”  But he also made a point to clearly state “Talbot is under contract so he isn’t going anywhere.”  I thought at the time it was a message to Talbot and his agent.

Bill knows Talbot’s thoughts on it.  No doubt in my mind.

Exactly, Talbot is under contract for 22-23 at 3 million ? boo fricken woo…if Cam’s pissed Billy signed Flower for 2 more years. Clearly THE PLAN is for their 1st Round draft pick from last year to be between the pipes for Wild in 2-3 years & maybe as soon as 23-24 (if Flower plays the 2nd year) he could split time or back up the young guy. Aside from chafing about resigning Flower, Talbot has no leverage, Billy doesn’t have to make a move unless or until he actually wants to. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1545486374136156166

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

frozen4champs wrote...

A lot of people are interpreting Bazos' quote solely as Talbot wants to be traded (Talbot indicated otherwise after the season). I'm getting the impression from team sources that Talbot wants a raise by way of an extension. He makes $3 million this year vs. Fleury's $3.5 million https://t.co/zK6XdLyKZz — Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) July 8, 2022

This is excellent.  When asked last night about the Kaprisov situation you could tell Guerin knew something but he was holding back.  He could comment, but he wouldn't.

With Cam Talbot, and Bazos, Guerin holds NOTHING back.  Full frontal.  I think it's most hilarious.  You can tell Bill just so annoyed by it.  His words have repeatedly stated He likes cam.  But how he says it, makes me think the HATES Bazos.  Entertaining.

Also, since I brought up Kaprisov, I thought it was an excellent sign that Guerin drafted a Russian player.  Shows he isn't too concerned about Kaprisov or getting burned a Russian player  from the KHL.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Russo wrote more about Kaprizov in the Athletic.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1545730196317274113

According to league sources, Kaprizov left Russia recently for Dubai and tried to return to the U.S. He couldn’t clear into the U.S., though, perhaps because he doesn’t currently have a work visa despite signing a five-year contract last September. As The Athletic reported July 1, several Europeans — not just Russians — were given exceptions to play last season without visas because U.S. consulates were inundated during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kaprizov, sources say, tried to cross the ocean by way of Caribbean Islands after not succeeding in the Dubai route. Again, he wasn’t permitted. Kaprizov then returned to Russia, where he remains.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

In before the...

ReplyQuote
Armadillo
(@armadillo)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 279
Post on old board: 12601

I would assume the Wild are melting the phone lines to Immigration and Customs Enforcement as we speak...

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786
Topic starter  

Is it really that F'n hard to keep the political BS to yourself? I mean really!? I am not in the mood for anything remotely political these days. Anything like it will get you banned really damn fast.

D2D... Banned for a little while. Not sure how long. However long I feel like it I guess.,

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

Armadillo wrote...

I would assume the Wild are melting the phone lines to Immigration and Customs Enforcement as we speak…

Personally, I think there's more going on then we know. Being denied access to the US via Dubai and then the Caribbean Islands.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5