209 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4606
Post on old board: 28736

Spurgeon finished 3rd in the Lady Bing...trade him he is worthless!

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1212
Post on old board: 6912

HandyNotDan wrote...

Spurgeon finished 3rd in the Lady Bing…trade him he is worthless!

Wild named Spurgeon Captain in 21-22, while we can debate which player would be best to move to get under salary CAP going forward, it’s pretty clear it’s not likely going to be Spurgeon, obviously Billy Guerin kinda likes him as a player & leader despite what all of (us) “expert rubes” may believe… 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4606
Post on old board: 28736

But random guys who are obviously better GMs on GPL said we should trade him!  And they for sure know more than people paid to research these things do hence why they are posting here!

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1960
Post on old board: 5631

HandyNotDan wrote...

But random guys who are obviously better GMs on GPL said we should trade him!  And they for sure know more than people paid to research these things do hence why they are posting here!

What do you think the Wild should to be cap compliant for next season?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7037
Post on old board: 18942

Old time hawkey:

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Please tell me this is real:

Here's what The Athletic's Corey Pronman had in his mock draft v. 2.0 today:

24. Minnesota Wild: Angus McGuillicutty, LW, Spokane Schnitzels USHL

Minnesota has added a lot at the premium positions in recent years so I can see them rolling the dice in a player like McGuillicutty who has Popeye-like forearms and likes to spray snow on goalies when in front of the net. Russian wingers like James Smith or Kendall Rothschild could also be in the mix for the Wild.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3935
Post on old board: 12555

Slap Shot wrote...

Here’s what The Athletic’s Corey Pronman had in his mock draft v. 2.0 today:

24. Minnesota Wild: Angus McGuillicutty, LW, Spokane Schnitzels USHLMinnesota has added a lot at the premium positions in recent years so I can see them rolling the dice in a player like McGuillicutty who has Popeye-like forearms and likes to spray snow on goalies when in front of the net. Russian wingers like James Smith or Kendall Rothschild could also be in the mix for the Wild.

LOL. no

ReplyQuote

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sergachev is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League. He was selected ninth overall by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. The Bolts traded Jonathan Drouin, the 3rd overall pick in the 2013 draft to get Sergachev.
Born: June 25, 1998 (age 23 years),
Height: 6′ 3″. In 20-21 he signed a 3 year contract averaging 4.8 million.

He’s 23 years old (for a couple more weeks) and aside from maybe Brodin he’s better than all of the Wild defensemen.

ReplyQuote
davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1126
Post on old board: 11138

Bertogliat wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

Here’s what The Athletic’s Corey Pronman had in his mock draft v. 2.0 today:

24. Minnesota Wild: Angus McGuillicutty, LW, Spokane Schnitzels USHLMinnesota has added a lot at the premium positions in recent years so I can see them rolling the dice in a player like McGuillicutty who has Popeye-like forearms and likes to spray snow on goalies when in front of the net. Russian wingers like James Smith or Kendall Rothschild could also be in the mix for the Wild.

LOL. no

OMG - if only there was any hockey team with the nickname of the Schnitzels.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12571
Post on old board: 9626

Another creative video from the Wild featuring Ryan Carter ( Maverick ) and Goligoski ( Goose )

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1536817633689014275

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5173

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5653
Post on old board: 16243

Now do the Wild trade up in the draft with their 2 first rounders, trade for an established player with their #24 and the #19 (from LA) or keep the 2 first round picks?!?!?!

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Faber!!

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 162

gator wrote...

Now do the Wild trade up in the draft with their 2 first rounders, trade for an established player with their #24 and the #19 (from LA) or keep the 2 first round picks?!?!?!

They can't trade for an established player, they don't have the cap space. That is why they traded Fiala in the first place.

Pretty underwhelming trade to say the least.

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
gator wrote…

They can’t trade for an established player, they don’t have the cap space. That is why they traded Fiala in the first place.

Yeah they're going to really miss Fiala's disappearing playoff tricks greatly.

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

So its not an underwhelming trade because of 6 playoff games?

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
gator wrote…

They can’t trade for an established player, they don’t have the cap space. That is why they traded Fiala in the first place.

There's always a way to free up $$$.  I'm just an arm GM, not an actual GM... but there's always a way.

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1733

It’s possible he would have returned more assets if he signed an offer sheet in the offseason (as he definitely would have been offered over 6 mil and maybe over 8) but the assets from this trade will be able to be utilised more quickly as Faber will sign after this year and potentially this 1st round draft selection will be ready in a year or two. Hopefully the Wild are able to find a solid contributor with that 19th selection.

Will be fun to see Faber make his debut after winning us a Natty!

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

YoungEagle wrote...

It’s possible he would have returned more assets if he signed an offer sheet in the offseason (as he definitely would have been offered over 6 mil and maybe over 8) but the assets from this trade will be able to be utilised more quickly as Faber will sign after this year and potentially this 1st round draft selection will be ready in a year or two. Hopefully the Wild are able to find a solid contributor with that 19th selection.

I would assume Fiala is signing with LA real soon. I highly doubt they made the trade without talking to his agent and being on the same page around a contract.

A 19th pick is almost always two-three years away minimum from even being in Iowa let alone with the Wild. We won't see that player for a while.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
YoungEagle wrote…

I would assume Fiala is signing with LA real soon. I highly doubt they made the trade without talking to his agent and being on the same page around a contract.

A 19th pick is almost always two-three years away minimum from even being in Iowa let alone with the Wild. We won’t see that player for a while.

https://twitter.com/thenhltracker/status/1542244781522386946

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/Connor_779/status/1542239304864464904

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

The biggest question is --  when will Cowgirl get a Wild Faber jersey?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

team2tank wrote...

It's so cute you think his piss poor playoff results were just from this year.

Never mind the fact they have to find room for the cap moving forward.

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

Slap Shot wrote...
team2tank wrote…

It’s so cute you think his piss poor playoff results were just from this year.

oooh he's edgy today, lookout!

Everyone gets the move and needing cap space. Doesn't mean the value back is justified no matter what, sorry you are having a tough time with that being pointed out. The talk about his trade over the last month was not for a 19th pick.

Will be even worse if Dumba isn't in a Wild jersey later this next season or in a year.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…
team2tank wrote…

It’s so cute you think his piss poor playoff results were just from this year.

oooh he’s edgy today, lookout!

Just factual.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
Will be even worse if Dumba isn’t in a Wild jersey later this next season or in a year.

Depends what on which Dumba camp you’re in.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Considering how poorly Guerin handled this entire situation, Faber and the 19th pick is probably better than should've been expected.

I did love the quote from Russo where Guerin pretty much he admits that he doesn't understand the basic concept of leverage.

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level

gator wrote...
team2tank wrote…
Will be even worse if Dumba isn’t in a Wild jersey later this next season or in a year.

I was referring to the cap side of things. If Dumba is ultimately gone in a year you probably could have kept Fiala. Obviously Dumba would have had to go now.

Overall just not a fan of losing core players in their mid 20s when they can be around for a long time and still have upside.

We saw how it goes when the core is in the 30s.

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

I was referring to the cap side of things. If Dumba is ultimately gone in a year you probably could have kept Fiala. Obviously Dumba would have had to go now.

Overall just not a fan of losing core players in their mid 20s when they can be around for a long time and still have upside.

It's very likely that they will have to move Dumba or a similar level contract next year as well. The problems that Guerin has caused are just now starting

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7266
Post on old board: 10120

frozen4champs wrote...

The biggest question is —  when will Cowgirl get a Wild Faber jersey?

Was just coming to post that I will NOT be getting a Faber jersey.  Seeing as I’m 0 for 3 on custom Wild jerseys now.

You want someone gone however….let me know….. :bye:

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

I’m sure the anti Dumba crowd would gladly raise the money for you to have his jersey.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3977
Post on old board: 9428

J22 wrote...
team2tank wrote…
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

It’s very likely that they will have to move Dumba or a similar level contract next year as well. The problems that Guerin has caused are just now starting

Jesus dude, did Guerin f**k your girlfriend or something?

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

If Faber pans out, which he should & the #1 pick (eventually) pans out, it's a good trade. Bottom line, based on what LA will be paying Fiala, it wasn't in the cards for the Wild to sign him. If Fiala turns into a consistent 80 point + scorer year after year & gets it going in playoffs, the trade won't seem so great! Fiala is an exciting player & had a great regular season last year, but the goal is to built a Stanley Cup contender. Guerin has played on two Stanley Cup winners & was an executive with Pens when they won two more, so I think it’s safe to say he has a solid idea regarding what he’s trying to ultimately achieve & a long term plan to do it…although some may not agree.

ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I have a good friend that is an F'n Hawk fan. Last guy in the world to ever give a gopher any credit. I took him to a couple games last year and he saw Faber play in person. His analysis was, he's as good as Power but not as big (saw them play head to head). I don't know if I'll go that far, but for a gopher hater to say that i think speaks to how well Faber has acquitted himself over the last year.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7430

I think since we all love Faber and since he’s so familiar around here it’s seen as a much better trade than it is. If it were some Swedish shutdown defenseman and a draft pick we would be saying the Wild got fleeced.

Then again I love Faber so I think it’s a great trade?? not to mention the money dump.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Also the caveat here is the draft pick. If he’s good it’ll shut the nay-sayers up.

P.S. take Snuggerud with the pick?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

team2tank wrote...
YoungEagle wrote…

A 19th pick is almost always two-three years away minimum from even being in Iowa let alone with the Wild. We won’t see that player for a while.

That just happens the be the time the Wild will have the money to sign free agents again.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7266
Post on old board: 10120

gator wrote...

I’m sure the anti Dumba crowd would gladly raise the money for you to have his jersey.

Yes, I’ve already been asked to buy one. ?

What makes the most sense to me however is for them to give Faber #22.  Then it’s a simple as a new nameplate….

someone make this happen! 😉

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Cowgirl wrote...
gator wrote…

Yes, I’ve already been asked to buy one. ?

What makes the most sense to me however is for them to give Faber #22.  Then it’s a simple as a new nameplate….

someone make this happen! 😉

The wild also have now 2 draft picks right in that range of Snuggerud, Chesley, and Rinzel.

ReplyQuote
fishingmn
(@fishingmn)
Member Golden
Rep Pts: 7

Bertogliat wrote...

The wild also have now 2 draft picks right in that range of Snuggerud, Chesley, and Rinzel.

It seems highly likely that the Wild will spend all of their early picks on forwards so Chesley or Rinzel seem unlikely.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

fishingmn wrote...
Bertogliat wrote…

It seems highly likely that the Wild will spend all of their early picks on forwards so Chesley or Rinzel seem unlikely.

Never assume.

They'll need to replace Dumba.

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1297

J22 wrote...
team2tank wrote…
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

It’s very likely that they will have to move Dumba or a similar level contract next year as well. The problems that Guerin has caused are just now starting

Didn't these problems basically start 10 years ago? It's not something that Guerin caused, it was always coming.

The cap solutions to find a way to add another $8M in space involve adding entry level contracts to your current roster and dumping players by sweetening the trade with draft picks heading out. And once that $8M in space gets taken by Fiala, there is still the issue of figuring out your goaltending situation and extending Boldy beyond next season.

I think we should be able to read the writing on the wall that Dumba and his $6M contract are not very attractive to the rest of the NHL. If there was an easy deal out there to be made, then that would have been the move. If I were the GM of another team I'd only take Dumba if I could send back a slightly worse contact with some term attached. They don't have to do anything with Dumba next season as his contract expires. Also btw... the Dubma deal was signed by Paul Fenton and not Guerin.

I'll be interested to see if Dumba were interested in a team friendly deal -- despite all the criticism, The Athletics market value model puts Dumba at $5.7M/year. I'd be interested to see an Evolving Hockey projection for him.

ReplyQuote

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Eric Vegoe wrote...
J22 wrote…
team2tank wrote…
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

Didn’t these problems basically start 10 years ago? It’s not something that Guerin caused, it was always coming.

The cap solutions to find a way to add another $8M in space involve adding entry level contracts to your current roster and dumping players by sweetening the trade with draft picks heading out. And once that $8M in space gets taken by Fiala, there is still the issue of figuring out your goaltending situation and extending Boldy beyond next season.

I think we should be able to read the writing on the wall that Dumba and his $6M contract are not very attractive to the rest of the NHL. If there was an easy deal out there to be made, then that would have been the move. If I were the GM of another team I’d only take Dumba if I could send back a slightly worse contact with some term attached. They don’t have to do anything with Dumba next season as his contract expires. Also btw… the Dubma deal was signed by Paul Fenton and not Guerin.

I’ll be interested to see if Dumba were interested in a team friendly deal — despite all the criticism, The Athletics market value model puts Dumba at $5.7M/year. I’d be interested to see an Evolving Hockey projection for him.

Why is it always Dumba that gets brought up? There's an older, worse, and more expensive RHD that Guerin is in fact responsible for. Why does Dumba have to be the one to weat that mistake?

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

J22 wrote...
Eric Vegoe wrote…
J22 wrote…
team2tank wrote…
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

Didn’t these problems basically start 10 years ago? It’s not something that Guerin caused, it was always coming.

I think we should be able to read the writing on the wall that Dumba and his $6M contract are not very attractive to the rest of the NHL. If there was an easy deal out there to be made, then that would have been the move. If I were the GM of another team I’d only take Dumba if I could send back a slightly worse contact with some term attached. They don’t have to do anything with Dumba next season as his contract expires. Also btw… the Dubma deal was signed by Paul Fenton and not Guerin.

I’ll be interested to see if Dumba were interested in a team friendly deal — despite all the criticism, The Athletics market value model puts Dumba at $5.7M/year. I’d be interested to see an Evolving Hockey projection for him.

Why is it always Dumba that gets brought up? There’s an older, worse, and more expensive RHD that Guerin is in fact responsible for. Why does Dumba have to be the one to weat that mistake?

I agree that Guerin owns the Spurgeon contract extension & making him Captain & that so far, that hasn’t exactly aged well. In an interview, Guerin, who also made Dumba an A Captain called Dumba the emotional leader of the team. There are some on GPL who don’t like Dumba (“too many turnovers being their main criticism) & never will & that isn’t changing. I’d like to see Dumba playing at full health & the Wild  lutilizing his shot on the #1 power play. Spurgeon is essentially a set up guy on the PP, and now that Fiala is gone, Spurgeon could be setting up Dumba for one timers. But all GM’s (even Guerin) are stubborn to an extent, so he’s not going to give up on Spurgeon anytime soon. Hopefully Rossi rises to the occasion next year and plays on the top 2 lines. And finally…the Parise/Suter buyouts created cost certainly & are now past costs & accordingly irrelevant to future decision making. Parise couldn’t play effectively anymore (see last season with Islanders) & Suter, while he can still play, his DIVA personality didn’t fit the new core leadership group and therefore had to go too. But we get it…you clearly believe we’d of got more trading Suter & maybe your right…we’ll never know. Buying out Suter clearly was a Guerin call which Leopold (in the end) agreed with it & yeah, the Wild has to live now with the cap consequences.

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

From the Twitter and Athletic comments, it seems like a lot of Wilds fans do not like Faber. They’ve obviously never watched him play. There’s no way you watch a game with him and come away anything less than impressed.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

J22 wrote...
Eric Vegoe wrote…
J22 wrote…
team2tank wrote…
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

Why is it always Dumba that gets brought up? There’s an older, worse, and more expensive RHD that Guerin is in fact responsible for. Why does Dumba have to be the one to weat that mistake?

I don't watch enough Wild hockey to know but you have a point.  When he is on he's fantastic, but when I do get a chance to watch the Wild Dumba seems more miss than hit.  I love his shot but he rarely uses it in games I see.  Maybe it's related to injuries.  I am starting to get a Charlie Coyle vibe from him.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Snowcool08 wrote...

From the Twitter and Athletic comments, it seems like a lot of Wilds fans do not like Faber. They’ve obviously never watched him play. There’s no way you watch a game with him and come away anything less than impressed.

Just seen some brutal takes on Faber on Twitter. They just can’t seem to wrap their heads around the concept of a shutdown defenseman.

Honestly the parallels between Brodin and Faber are uncanny. Elite footwork, great stick, solid puckmover. Once he gets acclimated to the league I think Faber will be Brodin quality too. Imagine a penalty kill with Jonas and Brock on the back end, basically like having two goalies?

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Bertogliat wrote...
J22 wrote…
Eric Vegoe wrote…
J22 wrote…
team2tank wrote…
gator wrote…
team2tank wrote…

I don’t watch enough Wild hockey to know but you have a point.  When he is on he’s fantastic, but when I do get a chance to watch the Wild Dumba seems more miss than hit.  I love his shot but he rarely uses it in games I see.  Maybe it’s related to injuries.  I am starting to get a Charlie Coyle vibe from him.

Dumba certainly has his faults, but it's also obvious that he's their 2nd best defenseman. He's also the best partner for Brodin and the best option they have to play the hard matchups that Brodin draws. Who is going to play those minutes of you have to move Dumba?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Snowcool08 wrote…

Just seen some brutal takes on Faber on Twitter. They just can’t seem to wrap their heads around the concept of a shutdown defenseman.

Honestly the parallels between Brodin and Faber are uncanny. Elite footwork, great stick, solid puckmover. Once he gets acclimated to the league I think Faber will be Brodin quality too. Imagine a penalty kill with Jonas and Brock on the back end, basically like having two goalies?

The problem with adding Brock to the Wild is the Wild already have enough 6'0" 190 lb defenseman....or smaller.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Bertogliat wrote...
Snowcool08 wrote…

The problem with adding Brock to the Wild is the Wild already have enough 6’0″ 190 lb defenseman….or smaller.

Benn has size and he’s a goddam cone out there

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5