53 Users
194 Likes
32.1 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7674
Post on old board: 35040

First round playoff exit, yet again, is my prediction. Yawn. Good enough to have hope, bad enough to not have better results. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1656683475775238145?s=20

Bummer news for Mahle. He was off to a really good start to the season. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @beauner

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1656683475775238145?s=20

Bummer news for Mahle. He was off to a really good start to the season. 

We can’t survive a season without one. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

I can remember growing up at the Met Twins games when I played Park ball games we would show up for day games it would always rain we just sat in the crowd and yelled let’s play ball, and they did

Aloha!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gallo just hit a home run to a part of Target Field that I'm not sure I've ever seem a ball hit before.

Just absolutely ridiculous. ???

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1657480199175389184?t=mmvyCShanwAp6VocTfZV3w&s=19

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1657497084637986824

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5167

Correa has dragged his average up to .200!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Correa has dragged his average up to .200!

FWIW, Correa has been one of the more unlucky hitters on the team and in the league so far this season based on xWOBA (expected weighted on-base average) which basically just factors in how hard the ball is hit, the launch angle it is hit with, and in the case of ground balls, the runner's sprint speed. Long story short, he's been hitting the ball very hard consistently and not getting a lot of rewards for it yet. That usually tends to balance out eventually.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7532

https://twitter.com/realmnsportsfan/status/1657770320936198145

Gallo just hit a home run to a part of Target Field that I'm not sure I've ever seem a ball hit before.

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1657480199175389184?t=mmvyCShanwAp6VocTfZV3w&s=19

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

After 41 games (a quarter of the season) they are 23-18 which is a season pace of 91-71.

They've scored 191 runs and given up 148 runs.

Out of the 30 MLB teams there are 11th in runs per game and 3rd in runs given up per game. Their +43 run differential is 5th. Only Tampa Bay, Texas, LA Dodgers and Atlanta are better.

I don't expect the pitching stats to stay that high but the team has played well so far.

The starting pitching depth will be tested with Mahle out for the season and who knows what they will get out of Maeda.

Sonny Grey, Pablo Lopez, and Joe Ryan have been huge but Ober, Varland, and Winder will likely need to be counted on a lot this season. It will be interesting to see if they can get much help from Maeda and/or Paddack. 

The team batting average is really low but runs scored is in the top half and nearly the top third. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

He hit another tape measure shot today too.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Pulled his hammy late in the game.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10549
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @idontknow

Oooooh ouch....you never want to pull a @hammy! ? 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Yeah, don't pull a @hammy 
Gonna have a bad time. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

He said in postgame it was a cramp and he could have stayed in but given the game was pretty much in hand they pulled him.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7253
Post on old board: 10120

The hit that gave the dodgers their go ahead run in the bottom of the 8th was foul.  But a non-reviewable play, because the play happened in front of the umpire.  ?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

The hit that gave the dodgers their go ahead run in the bottom of the 8th was foul.  But a non-reviewable play, because the play happened in front of the umpire.  ?

Literally was never in fair territory. Edit: I guess the first bounce looks like it probably caught chalk before clearly going into foul territory.

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1658335552557711360?s=20

Cowgirl reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Well, we tied it up again top of nine.  I thought I was going to get to bed early tonight.  ?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Wow that Kiriloff at bat was not impressive for the home plate umpire. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Phil Cuzzi is having a terrible night behind the plate. Just rung Kiriloff up on 3 pitches. The first one was 3 inches high and 5 inches outside, then a foul ball, then strike 3 called 5 inches

inside https://twitter.com/alex76056029/status/1658341094143270912?s=20

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Wow that Kiriloff at bat was not impressive for the home plate umpire. 

These umps must really want to go home. ?

Yeah that was ugly.  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I just don’t understand how a pitcher struggling to hit the strike zone gets those calls. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I just don’t understand how a pitcher struggling to hit the strike zone gets those calls. 

Especially when the catcher has to reach all the way across the plate on strike 3. No amount of framing saves that.

Hopefully he keeps that zone in bottom 10

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Outman seems like an unfortunate name for a baseball player.  ?

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

And we walk in the winner in the bottom of the 12th.  Glad I stayed up for that.  Poopy.  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Really, Lopez?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

That's my biggest problem with walking the bases loaded there even though it is 100% the right move (I'd rather pitch to Trace Thompson instead of the home run leader in the MLB 100 times out of 100). It just doesn't give any margin for error. 

Thompson put together a good at-bat and credit to him for not chasing pitches out of the zone.

Frustrating loss given everything they had to overcome, including multiple deficits late in the game and some terrible umpiring.

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

Phil Cuzzi is having a terrible night behind the plate. Just rung Kiriloff up on 3 pitches. The first one was 3 inches high and 5 inches outside, then a foul ball, then strike 3 called 5 inches

inside https://twitter.com/alex76056029/status/1658341094143270912?s=20

I've gotten so weary over the decades of hearing "Hey, this is MLB. You can't take pitches that close". First, that is just total bullsh*t; second, as your post notes, those AREN'T even close pitches.

Would I be a good umpire/referee? Probably not. When I was a teenager in West St. Paul, I was happy to help out with little league and such. But that was back when the games were weekday mornings or afternoons at Harmon field, virtually devoid of parents and those that WERE there never would have thought of exhibiting the psychotic behavior that's so widespread now. It was fun and no pressure, trying to help the kids enjoy themselves and get better at the same time.

As with all humans who work for a living, there are simply a number of umpires who suck at what they do. As demonstrated last night and on other occasions, Phill Cuzzi is one of them. Sometimes in life, the answer is as simple: you're terrible at what you do.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I saw a clip on Twitter last night of the Dodgers TV crew during the Kiriloff at-bat and even they said (paraphrasing slightly) "Boy oh boy that isn't even close. We'll take it but that's not even close. Cuzzi is making an already almost impossible task even more difficult."

Edit: Found the video

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1658347098385838080?s=20

Then there's the scorecard. The three "most impactful" misses in the game last night all went against the Twins. Overall 10 out of the 68 called strikes Cuzzi had last night were outside the zone. 

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1658481608641609733?s=20

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2608
Post on old board: 15478

That's my biggest problem with walking the bases loaded there even though it is 100% the right move (I'd rather pitch to Trace Thompson instead of the home run leader in the MLB 100 times out of 100). It just doesn't give any margin for error. 

Thompson put together a good at-bat and credit to him for not chasing pitches out of the zone.

Frustrating loss given everything they had to overcome, including multiple deficits late in the game and some terrible umpiring.

The Kirilloff at-bat may have been a good time for Rocco to kick up a fuss and get thrown out of the game. If he had, maybe they don't walk in the winning run...who knows. That umpire performance merited a complete meltdown by the manager.

The ump did the heavy lifting in the Twins' failure to get more than one run across, but the team should be held accountable for its own inadequacies. They had bases loaded with no outs and managed only a single run on a walk.

Then you have a Twins' relief pitcher throwing unhittable 103 mph fastballs who decides to mix it up a bit and toss a fat hanging curve or slider or whatever it was, basically opening the door for LA to tie it the next inning.

It wasn't just the umpiring last night. After clawing to get back into the game, they let LA's goldilocks off the hook more than once.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 28736

Umpire issues even out over time. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7001
Post on old board: 18942

That's not the point. I'd rather they be better at getting obvious calls correct even if it means sometimes a call doesn't work in your favor. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 28736

That isn't going to happen.  You are talking about human beings not robots mistakes are going to be part of the deal and have been since baseball began.  You have watched baseball long enough to know that. 

It isn't like it is unique to baseball.  According to the fans all refs and umpires suck in every sport.  And you ever notice no one in here is screaming and yelling when a call goes our way?  I would think if this was about just getting things right we would hear the fans of teams that benefit bitching as much as fans who don't.   Never quite do do we? (For obvious reasons)

So no offense but it is the point.  When calls are made by humans human error is going to be part of the equation.  As long as things are pretty even across the board that is likely a good as it is going to get.  It still beats the alternative.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

That isn't going to happen.  You are talking about human beings not robots mistakes are going to be part of the deal and have been since baseball began.  You have watched baseball long enough to know that. 

It isn't like it is unique to baseball.  According to the fans all refs and umpires suck in every sport.  And you ever notice no one in here is screaming and yelling when a call goes our way?  I would think if this was about just getting things right we would hear the fans of teams that benefit bitching as much as fans who don't.   Never quite do do we? (For obvious reasons)

So no offense but it is the point.  When calls are made by humans human error is going to be part of the equation.  As long as things are pretty even across the board that is likely a good as it is going to get.  It still beats the alternative.

This is all I have ever really asked of refs/umps. They may suck, they may be great, just be consistent. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Dodgers catcher must have a bum shoulder. Twins are stealing a lot and he’s not close to throwing them out. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7001
Post on old board: 18942

It's my point.  Everyone understands human error is a part of it - it doesn't mean that we as humans don't wish for things fully rational or not.  But I'm all for electronically called balls and strikes which could happen as early as next season.  Now tell me again how wrong my preferences are. ? 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Nice to have Farmer back. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Fantastic outing by Ober tonight. Arguably the best of his career given the circumstances (that elite lineup, the fact the bullpen was taxed after yesterday's extra inning game, and who the opposing pitcher was). Moran came in and pitched a scoreless 1.1 inning and Jax pitched a scoreless 9th to cap it off. 

Farmer has been on fire the last handful of games as well.

In future news, Royce Lewis moved to AAA for his rehab stint and was 3/4 with a HR tonight. The Twins are working him at 3B to potentially be the starting 3B the rest of the season. I expect Lewis probably stays in AAA on his rehab assignment until the end of May (IIRC he's allowed 20 days and he's currently on day 4 or 5). At that point if the Twins feel comfortable with him at 3B I'd guess he gets the call up.

Unfortunately for Miranda, he's going to have a hard time cracking the big club barring a bunch of injuries even if he gets his head back together at AAA. If Lewis comes up and produces offensively (and he's almost certainly better defensively than Miranda already) and Farmer continues to be at least serviceable in the utility role, Miranda will be stuck in AAA. I love his bat when he's on but MLB pitchers found the hole in his swing (high heat) and abused the hell out of it and Miranda has not been able to adjust on the fly.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Weird. Umpires doing their job NOW after letting this go unpunished when the Twins visited Yankee Stadium. Same umpiring crew the Twins had for that series.

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1658624971600707586?s=20

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

It's my point.  Everyone understands human error is a part of it - it doesn't mean that we as humans don't wish for things fully rational or not.  But I'm all for electronically called balls and strikes which could happen as early as next season.  Now tell me again how wrong my preferences are. ? 

It's not hard to imagine that balls and strikes can be (and maybe should be) called electronically. 

Sure, human beings are going to present human error. But not all human beings are exactly equal to one another in performing their jobs. Some are even consistently bad at it. Cuzzi is one of those guys. If he were an OR doctor, he would be the one who removed the wrong kidney.

During the game two nights ago, Cuzzi's incompetence was criticized heavily by both Twins' and Dodgers' announcers alike. That's how bad he was. Who cares what fans think? Umpiring or reffing isn't a referendum and, even if it were, fan sentiment under the spell of their own passions obviously cannot be relied upon for its objective purity—hence, the need for a "well-constructed Senate." Nobody complains about getting the benefit of a couple of terrible calls, but sensible fans with knowledge of a sport at least acknowledge shoddy refereeing when they see it. And, yes, even on here fans do indeed point out when the Gophers get a lucky break. 

Slap Shot reacted
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 576

Pagan just gives up a bases loaded walk to tie it and then a grand slam. Five runs with 2 outs in the seventh. Great work 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Pagan just gives up a bases loaded walk to tie it and then a grand slam. Five runs with 2 outs in the seventh. Great work 

There's a reason they try to keep Pagan starting with clean innings. But after the last couple days and a shorter start by Gray today they didn't really have the option. It was basically Pagan or Cole Sands. Pagan has been mostly exceptional except the long outing in relief of Maeda after he took the line drive off the leg and left the game (he gave up 6 earned in 1.2 IP in that game, he had given up 2 earned in the other 15.2 IP this season). 

He wasn't staying closed in his first couple pitches. Then Outman gets a pitch he can handle (wasn't even a terrible pitch, mid 90s at the knees outer half) and hits it out. That said, the at-bat to Heyward he definitely got squeezed on at least two pitches that clipped the zone before the walk. Could have/should have ended the inning there.

The biggest problem, again, has been the Twins offense with the bases loaded. Bases loaded, nobody out top 6: Zero runs. 1st and 2nd nobody out top 7: 1 run (scored on a throwing error on the pitcher).

I swear they average like 0.25 runs per inning when they get bases loaded. It's so frustrating.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy

Not a fan of this guy at all. Twins have a good team this year and will win some games, but this kind of pitcher will be the reason they are not a serious post season contender.

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 576

The twins shouldn’t need a a five run lead late in a game to put up a win. And yeah pagan missing by a lot when it counts, that’s the difference. The batter knew it was a ball when it left his hand. I just don’t like him

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1658964024342773760?s=20

Your avatar is so appropriate.  

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

I heard on KFAN this morning the Twins have the lowest runs scored with nobody out and the bases loaded for the last 2 decades 

Aloha!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

If that's true I'd be curious what the range is.  I would be surprised if there was much difference from top to bottom.  How often does bases loaded with zero outs even come up in a season?

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

What a bizarre stat... but one that doesn't surprise me.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Cooley came back maybe our luck is changing. ? https://twitter.com/FlyoverTwins/status/1659600916696252416

Page 9 / 29