53 Users
194 Likes
31.8 K Views
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7643
Post on old board: 35040

Ohtani to the Twins? LOLOLOLOLOL I mean, I can't even, wow. Why would ANYone even THINK that?! 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10472
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @the-rube

Ohtani to the Twins? LOLOLOLOLOL I mean, I can't even, wow. Why would ANYone even THINK that?! 

Maybe one of the Pohlad's inherited some money?  

arrested development banana stand GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7211
Post on old board: 10120

Not a fan of the number style on these new Twins jerseys. (Also still not sure if navy or black). 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3911
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @cowgirl

Not a fan of the number style on these new Twins jerseys. (Also still not sure if navy or black). 

Blavy?  Or Nack?

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 544

Another quarter put in the merry go round. Starting pitcher allows 1 run through 6 relief gives up 2 without getting an out. Stats don’t tell all. Twins relief in close games continue to do the same old same old. Bad pitches at critical moments in the game and in the count. Hitters jump on mistakes in baseball. It’s a broken record.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

No offense and a few errors are also factors. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3316
Post on old board: 30840

Feels like the Twins are 5/50 with the bases loaded this season.

Edit: they are 5/43 and all 5 hits are singles. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @beauner

Feels like the Twins are 5/50 with the bases loaded this season.

Edit: they are 5/43 and all 5 hits are singles. 

I feel like the hitting will get back to the mean.

The relief pitching, on the other hand, is a more familiar problem for the team and its fans. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 5547

The Twins have 5 hits in 46 bases loaded setting, pathetic 

Aloha!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Twins win in extra innings @ Houston today thanks to this absolute missile from Jeffers

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1663322023865745408?s=20

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

ROPE.

Royce, Jeffers, Kirilloff. Young'ns. I like it. Hope they keep them. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Lewis made his season debut yesterday, exactly 1 year after tearing his ACL. In his debut he hit a 3 run HR and had the game-tying RBI in the top of the 9th against a closer who had not blown a save yet this season. 

Pretty nice debut for the kid.

He's probably (hopefully) going to be starting at 3B quite often this summer alongside Carlos Correa. Should be quite a bit of range and quality defense on the left side of the infield with those 2 guys. 

Sounds like Larnach is on his way back from pneumonia and Polanco is getting closer to returning as well. They did shift Nick Gordon to the 60 day IL as he recovers from his broken leg. In the meantime, Willi Castro has been playing really well in his duties finally (for a while it was looking like he was a DFA candidate). His slash line in mid May was .186/.300/.302, after yesterday's game is is .265/.324/.441 and he's starting to utilize his speed on the bases (9 SB) as well with 4 in the last 5 games.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Ryan is crap today. Probably because I decided that I’d really sit down and watch a game earlier. 

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 75

@karlsson The Twins hitting coach should be fired!  The number of strikeouts for Twins hitters is the only justification that is needed!  Worst hitting team in baseball!

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level

Any player that can’t hit above .200 shouldn’t be in the lineup!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @mnpuckguy

Any player that can’t hit above .200 shouldn’t be in the lineup!

IIRC Mr Buck Ninety One (.191) Tim Laudner is still a WS ring holder and a local legend. 😉 

BAs are gonna dip with analytics. HR, BB, K. Those are your outcomes. Not a fan. I prefer the piranhas and small ball. Get on base. 

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level

@the-rube Gallo is a left handed version of Miguel Sano!!  What were thinking signing another strikeout machine like Gallo!  Kepler is another example.  Hitting under .200 he should be sent to St.  Paul until he learns how to hit!  Baldelli babies these guys too much!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

My point is, with the OVER use of analytics, it's one of three outcomes. My take is, just get on base. Expands possibilities for scoring runs. Put the ball in play, at the very least. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

@the-rube Gallo is a left handed version of Miguel Sano!!  What were thinking signing another strikeout machine like Gallo!  Kepler is another example.  Hitting under .200 he should be sent to St.  Paul until he learns how to hit!  Baldelli babies these guys too much!

I'm well past ready to see Kepler move on. Just not enough there.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I think I'm agreeing with the Kepler train of thought. Unless you keep him at a very low salary, it's not worth it. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

He's been mostly great for the Twins but OK. He strikes out a lot, yes. But he is also 2nd on the team of full-time players (Kiriloff is ahead of him but has only played 20 games, Jeffers is ahead of him but has half the at-bats) in OBP and far and away the leader in slugging percentage. 

Defensively he's been outstanding and his ability to play 1B and outfield extremely well has been huge for this team. 

Kepler has been not very good for a while now and I'd guess when Larnach is healthy again Kepler finds himself on the bench a lot more.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

I think I'm agreeing with the Kepler train of thought. Unless you keep him at a very low salary, it's not worth it. 

He's on a lower-ish salary (I think he's making 7 million this year) but his club option next year is 10 million and I have a hard time envisioning them picking that up. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

They are on a road trip right now I work downtown why is the scoreboard an video screen open right now?

Aloha!

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Varland is dealing tonight. Couple bases loaded hits, too! 

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Lopez comes in for the eighth, and he’s given up two home runs on three pitches. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Then walks Dubon, hits Peña. Sure glad we didn’t risk having Varland go out there. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

They are on a road trip right now I work downtown why is the scoreboard an video screen open right now?

I think they run the boards for other events hosted at the ballpark.  Or maybe they are testing  lights, or just like wasting electricity? ?‍♀️

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Nice win. Tired of waiting for Lopez to turn it around. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7406

@karlsson The Twins hitting coach should be fired!  The number of strikeouts for Twins hitters is the only justification that is needed!  Worst hitting team in baseball!

In runs scored the Twins are 13th out of the 30 MLB teams. Definitely the worst other than more than half of the league who has scored less runs. ? 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

In runs scored the Twins are 13th out of the 30 MLB teams. Definitely the worst other than more than half of the league who has scored less runs. ? 

They definitely aren't the worst hitting team in baseball but they have scored 2 or fewer runs in roughly 1/3rd of their games which is absolutely terrible. 

When they do score runs they tend to score in bunches. When they don't they are lucky to put up more than 3. It has very much been a feast-or-famine offense this season which is very frustrating.

bearpaw28 reacted
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

The league average is 4.5 runs per game. A team scoring 2 runs or less is not uncommon.

The Yankees have scored 273 runs in 58 games (4.7 runs per game)

The Twins have scored 256 runs in 56 games (4.6 runs per game)

The Yankees and Twins have both scored 2 runs or less in 17 games.

Even teams that are scoring slightly better than average in runs scored are scoring 2 runs or less in about 30% of their games which is what the Twins are doing.

The Twins offense has been slightly better than average so far.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Polanco has been activated and Julien was sent to AAA.

I am looking forward to a line up with Buxton, Correa, Lewis, Polanco, Gallo, and Kirilloff.

They will likely not hit for a high average overall but can produce runs which the line up has done slightly better than average with on average only 3-4 of those guys in the lineup. Who knows how long they will stay healthy but in April & May - 56 games

Lewis played 2 games, Kirilloff played 23 games, Polanco played 23 games

due to all three starting the season on IL.

Hopefully having these guys in the lineup more moving forward will create additional positive results.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4600
Post on old board: 10695

The league average is 4.5 runs per game. A team scoring 2 runs or less is not uncommon.

The Yankees have scored 273 runs in 58 games (4.7 runs per game)

The Twins have scored 256 runs in 56 games (4.6 runs per game)

The Yankees and Twins have both scored 2 runs or less in 17 games.

Even teams that are scoring slightly better than average in runs scored are scoring 2 runs or less in about 30% of their games which is what the Twins are doing.

The Twins offense has been slightly better than average so far.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

The Twins team batting Ave was 109 with the bases loaded going into last nights game

Aloha!

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Out of the 30 teams the Twins are 8th in home runs and 4th in walks.

I agree that lower batting averages/higher strike outs often makes the game more boring but with how good pitchers have gotten (increased average velocity/pitch moment) often times the way to score runs is through walks and home runs. Because of pitchers getting better it is a lot more difficult to get a sustained rally inning (4 hits or more in an inning).

This isn't just a Twins problem. Lower batting average/higher strike outs has been happening through out baseball for quite some time.

This was why they outlawed infield shifts in order to hopefully increase batting averages. If batters get rewarded more often when they put the ball in play they maybe more will look to cut down on their swing with two strikes but the bigger issue is more pitchers having more strike out pitches now (increased velocity/movement).

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

The Twins team batting Ave was 109 with the bases loaded going into last nights game

Yeah it was nice to finally get a couple of hits (last night) with the bases loaded.

They are now 7 for 49 with the bases loaded: .143

With runners on first and third they are 19 for 51: .373

The runner on second must be a distraction. ? 

Overall this is 26 for 100: .260

I would guess these two situations will even out more as the season goes on.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Yeah it was nice to finally get a couple of hits (last night) with the bases loaded.

They are now 7 for 49 with the bases loaded: .143

With runners on first and third they are 19 for 51: .373

The runner on second must be a distraction. ? 

Overall this is 26 for 100: .260

I would guess these two situations will even out more as the season goes on.

I was gonna say their average with RISP has actually been mostly pretty solid. It's just when they have bases loaded they've been awful. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

I’m not sure what the hell is going on with the lineup in the middle of this game. Either they’re conceding this one or important guys are still hurt. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Well clearly Royce Lewis is conceding nothing!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

I’m not sure what the hell is going on with the lineup in the middle of this game. Either they’re conceding this one or important guys are still hurt. 

Buxton left the game with some sort of rib injury I saw. Correa's plantar fasciitis flared up, and Kepler got a migraine. 

That said, Castro has been vastly superior at the plate to Kepler so that's not much of a downgrade.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

I turned the app on just in time for a hit (with the bases loaded nonetheless) for a walk off win.  You’re welcome. 😉

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Buxton was hit squarely in the ribs with 97 mph, so that made sense. 

Nice to walk Cleveland off for once after last season. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Emilio Pagan with 2.1 IP of scoreless ball in relief. Good to see him exercise some Cleveland demons after they teed off on him last season.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Only score one but it was enough tonight. The picture on AppleTV+ is incredibly crisp. I’ll admit I like watching games broadcast on it. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Posted by: @cowgirl

I turned the app on just in time for a hit (with the bases loaded nonetheless) for a walk off win.  You’re welcome. 😉

I have been to 8 games this year.  My record is 7-1.  Four of the games I attended were walk-off wins.  I will probably attend 17 more games this year.  You're welcome, too!

Cowgirl reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Lewis lands on his head going to first. You just can’t make this stuff up. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Lewis lands on his head going to first. You just can’t make this stuff up. 

As a former 1B, I can assure you this footwork is freaking terrible. Sounds like Lewis is ok though at least

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1665451986056036354?s=20

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Glad to see we're wasting improved pitching on the inability to hit.  Another 2-1 loss and a series loss to the Guardians.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Split…

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

The Twins struck out 16 times with a total of 5 hits yesterday 

Aloha!