53 Users
194 Likes
32.5 K Views
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

I'll start by saying I wouldn't want the job. Homeplate umpires have no upside and nobody gives them the benefit of the doubt. Since the advent of the magic box, the umpire's calls have become another, "game within the game." Even the announcers comment on nearly every single borderline pitch.

That said, the ball-strike calls definitely seem like they've been stacked against the Twins.

If the assumption is that the magic box is an accurate representation of reality, the argument for retaining umpires becomes a nostalgic one. But the league should tread lightly. There have been a lot of changes in baseball, and if they ever take the umpires off the field, that would be a seismic shift in America's pastime.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7579

All 4 playoff games the ball/strike calls have gone against the Twins adding up to a total of 3.62 runs (a 2.42 runs advantage for Toronto and a 1.20 run advantage for Houston). It sure would be nice to get a fair shake from the umps. We shouldn't have to beat both the opponent and the umpires.

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1711026439502410230

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1711388775480234471

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3961
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @cowgirl

Posted by: @karlsson

Hard to see a lane for Correa there, but again that whole rule is obscure as hell and pretty much pointless. 

I was surprised they didn't review it but I also hate that rule so I'm kinda glad they didn't.

I had just tuned in after some kerfuffle about Correa - what happened?

The Astros fans are just booing him because he's their former leader and so far through two games this series has been a killer against them. Typical fan stuff.

The non-review was on a single where Correa got thrown out at the plate trying to score from 2B on a single to end the inning. The "Blocking the plate" rule could have been reviewed by the umpire crew because the C didn't appear to give Correa a clear lane to slide to but they didn't review it and I'm glad they didn't. 

I am not a baseball guy, but I thought the catcher can block the plate so long as he has the ball in his glove.  The ball beat Correa to the plate, which is why the catcher could be in that position and why Correa tried to slide around the tag.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5210

Posted by: @bertogliat

Hard to see a lane for Correa there, but again that whole rule is obscure as hell and pretty much pointless. 

I was surprised they didn't review it but I also hate that rule so I'm kinda glad they didn't.

The Astros fans are just booing him because he's their former leader and so far through two games this series has been a killer against them. Typical fan stuff.

The non-review was on a single where Correa got thrown out at the plate trying to score from 2B on a single to end the inning. The "Blocking the plate" rule could have been reviewed by the umpire crew because the C didn't appear to give Correa a clear lane to slide to but they didn't review it and I'm glad they didn't. 

I am not a baseball guy, but I thought the catcher can block the plate so long as he has the ball in his glove.  The ball beat Correa to the plate, which is why the catcher could be in that position and why Correa tried to slide around the tag.

Not anymore. But that’s the way it should be and therefore why I don’t see many people really complaining about it. My only real complaint is that the rule even exists. If the ball beats you there, tough luck bud. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The big bad AL East more like the AL least!!! They are 0-6 this season. ? 

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1711171543441523067

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1799
Post on old board: 8686

It's kind of like the Gophers in hockey - being the best through the regular season doesn't really translate to postseason success.  It's rare the Gophers win both the regular season and the conference championship.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7312
Post on old board: 10120

I guess it was something else, Correa was in the middle of an at bat when I saw umps conferring.  But I may just have missed stuff as this was when I just got in the car and was loading the video feed and radio which were disjointed in time.  

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I guess it was something else, Correa was in the middle of an at bat when I saw umps conferring.  But I may just have missed stuff as this was when I just got in the car and was loading the video feed and radio which were disjointed in time.  

There was some goofy situation with runners on base as to whether or not the pitcher for the Astros was going to pitch out of the stretch or from the wind up.  Apparently if you're going to pitch out of the wind up they have to declare that?

It appeared the umpire was trying to get clarification on that.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Not anymore. But that’s the way it should be and therefore why I don’t see many people really complaining about it. My only real complaint is that the rule even exists. If the ball beats you there, tough luck bud. 

I think they could block the plate before whether or not they had the ball, but now they have to have the ball before moving into the path of the runner.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/collisions-at-home-plate

"The catcher is not permitted to block the runner's path to the plate unless he is in possession of the ball, though blocking the path of the runner in a legitimate attempt to receive a throw is not considered a violation. The runner can be ruled safe if the umpire determines the catcher violated this rule." 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3382
Post on old board: 30840

There was some goofy situation with runners on base as to whether or not the pitcher for the Astros was going to pitch out of the stretch or from the wind up.  Apparently if you're going to pitch out of the wind up they have to declare that?

It appeared the umpire was trying to get clarification on that.

Ahh yeah that part of the game. Valdez does kind of a side-saddle windup (a few Twins pitchers do something similar). For pitchers who have a windup like that, which is pretty similar to where/how the pitcher would start if pitching from the stretch, the pitcher has to declare "I'm going from the windup" or "I'm going from the stretch" so the umpire can communicate that to the baserunners etc. 

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1243
Post on old board: 5547

So is Buxton out of the lineup again this series?

Aloha!

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1221

He was left off the roster while he rehabs a sore right knee.

Minnesota Twins ALDS Roster

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1710675740864217515/photo/1

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 442

Sonny throwing bullpen

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Holy crap we are goi g to have to pull gray after 1 inning

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Completely unacceptable whiff by Kiriloff on the Alvarez ground ball. Instead of what was basically the easiest double play you could draw up, Alvarez ends up on 2B with Altuve on 3B. Then Tucker singles and Gray hangs a CB belt high over the middle to Abreu and he hits it back to Houston.

4-0 Houston after the top of the first.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

A check-swing single by Altuve on a pitch he was fooled by and an E3 by Kiriloff. If Kiriloff makes a routine play they're out of the inning after 3 hitters.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

0-2 RISP

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Apparently Twins fans have decided that telling Christian Javier exactly how much time is left on the pitch clock is a great way to annoy him but all it is doing is letting him know exactly how much time he has to mess with the Twins hitters timing before he has to start his motion.

If you're going to be annoying like that, at least start the time countdown earlier and make him rush. SMH

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

A check-swing single by Altuve on a pitch he was fooled by and an E3 by Kiriloff. If Kiriloff makes a routine play they're out of the inning after 3 hitters.

I was being a tad sarcastic.  But not a lot sarcastic.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Twins have swung and missed at 12 of Javier's 30 pitches so far.

Yikes.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

0-5 RISP

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Sonny has had a bad day and is done for the day. 
Trying to take two putting up our 4th and 3rd pitcher will be tough. 

Nothing is impossible, but it’s starting to feel that way. Twins striking out like crazy. 

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @jwg

Nothing is impossible, but it’s starting to feel that way. Twins striking out like crazy. 

Ryan doesn't stand a chance tomorrow

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

0-7 RISP

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Bases Loaded, 1 out, 0 hits much less a run. 🙁

LeSigh...

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4056
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @jwg

I would think Lopez would go in a game 5 but that’s looking less likely every half inning 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7732
Post on old board: 35040

Had the game on the radio at work, and I wondered, "Ok, are going to get good Sonny or bad Sonny?" That was answered quickly. Didn't even bother with the last 3 innings. Wasn't our day. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7312
Post on old board: 10120

Reminder the game is now at 6pm tomorrow. 

Wave those homer hankies as hard as you can! 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7732
Post on old board: 35040

This would be so juicy.

Mark Rosen

@KFANRosen
Obviously Joe Ryan has to do his part tomorrow but this entire Twins season would be worth it just to see Pablo Lopez face Justin Verlander in a deciding 5th game on Friday

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4056
Post on old board: 9428

Turns out the Lewis Bill Buckner impression may have been the most important play of the game 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

Turns out the Lewis Bill Buckner impression may have been the most important play of the game 

Assume you mean Kiriloff?

That, IMO, was the deciding factor. Obviously the Twins had chances to score and left a village on the bases again but that error against the superhuman Alvarez on what should have been an inning-ending double play is such a huge momentum swing. The crowd would have gone bonkers getting Houston's hero to hit into a double play. 

Instead of getting the catalyst for their offense to end the inning we get no outs out of it and have 2 in scoring position for Tucker and Abreu.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

None of that mattered when relief gave up 5 runs and Twins could only muster 1. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Buxton is not in the starting lineup but it will interesting to see if he gets a chance to pitch hit tonight.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1712196097224184224

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Apparently Twins fans have decided that telling Christian Javier exactly how much time is left on the pitch clock is a great way to annoy him but all it is doing is letting him know exactly how much time he has to mess with the Twins hitters timing before he has to start his motion.

If you're going to be annoying like that, at least start the time countdown earlier and make him rush. SMH

Javier was watching the clock.  He was purposely letting the clock run down to basically zero before starting his windup.  (Several months ago I suggested that pitchers do just that—they have to be set to hit with 8 seconds left, but often are in the batters box earlier.  Then they have to stand there that long, which can get uncomfortable). As to the countdown, Javier was throwing the pitch after the clock got to zero.  I presume that many of the fans don’t know that they only have to begin the delivery (e.g.wind-up) by zero.  So they were counting to try to (erroneously) point out that there should be a time clock violation.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1712191920565334518?t=Wh4397sclAeUKeBH7VRyOw&s=19

Bruised ego? ? 

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2003

That, IMO, was the deciding factor. Obviously the Twins had chances to score and left a village on the bases again but that error against the superhuman Alvarez on what should have been an inning-ending double play is such a huge momentum swing. The crowd would have gone bonkers getting Houston's hero to hit into a double play. 

Instead of getting the catalyst for their offense to end the inning we get no outs out of it and have 2 in scoring position for Tucker and Abreu.

It's nuts to compare the Kiriloff play with Buckner's flub. One ball was hit hard. The other was a slow roller.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @norm

It's nuts to compare the Kiriloff play with Buckner's flub. One ball was hit hard. The other was a slow roller.

Hard being a relative term.

It was, to that point, the softest ball in play off of Alvarez's bat all series at 81mph (he later hit a ball in play 4mph slower).

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Boom!

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Royce Lewis now has 4 home runs in 20 postseason at bats.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2003

3 hard hit balls by the Twins in the first. I think they're gonna light this guy up tonight.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

STOP PITCHING TO YORDAN ALVAREZ!  Stop!  Don’t fekin do it.  

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Man, all Houston does is hit bombs. Yesterday and now today…

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Well, this was fun for a week or so there.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Being down two really seems like we're down five fight now.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

You'd think they would have learned not to give Abreu anything out over the plate to swing at after he hit two balls to the moon yesterday. But Thielbar challenged him again and Abreu rocked it again.

Twins bats have to figure out a way to string hits together somehow.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Paddack looks like another thing to look forward to. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

2 runs over two games isn't going to cut it. Pitching doesn't matter with that offense. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Twins got a leadoff double from Julien and a HR from Royce Lewis (after the Polanco line out double play). They haven't had a hit since.

Not a good time for the entire lineup to go ice cold. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Critical half inning coming up for the Twins.  

They have an outside chance to get to four but seemingly no chance to 5+ in this game, at least the way they've looked at the plate.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 28 / 29