26 Likes
12.1 K Views
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

Right down the pipe.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840
Topic starter  
Posted by: @handyman
Posted by: @beauner
Posted by: @the-rube

Answer to the shift? Bunt to the weak side. You can make that decision last minute. 

Go ahead and go to a batting cage that has machines throwing 90mph and try to drop down a bunt like that that doesn't go right back to the pitcher. It's not nearly as easy as people think it is. Then think about adding between 2-7mph to it and also having to read it for horizontal break (2 seam fastballs/sinkers) coming in at you or going away from you, curveballs, sliders, etc. 

(Sac bunting, on the other hand, is significantly easier because you're squaring up way early and broadcasting your decision). 

And yet people did it for over a century...because you know, they practiced the fundamentals of the game and used their talents for more than just getting beefed up stats. ("hit it where they aint" was something every coach said) I think you are forgetting the age range of the fans you are talking to we remember what baseball was like even 20 years ago.  We remember when coaches understood that there is more to doing the job than just understanding probability.  I get that some people think this is a better version of the game but that number is small and rather niche.  And the ratings reflect that. 

Glad you enjoy it...but at the rate it is going baseball will be losing to NCIS 10 years from now.

Guys over a century ago weren't throwing the same pitches we're seeing today.

I'm not saying I love the state of the game, but to act like hitting in 2022 is the same as it was in 1980 is asinine. It's not even the same as it was in 2010. Average fastball velocity from 2009-2012 increased by 5% league wide and has continued to increase. 

The simple fact of the matter is pitching development right now is lightyears ahead of hitting development. Things aren't going to get "better" until hitting development catches up. They are making strides but it's going to be slow. Basically the only way to train hitters to handle the stuff they are seeing right now is to crank pitching machines up to 110mph and say "good luck" if you're not taking live BP.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5165

I agree the game isn't as fun to watch. But to say any of it is because the players don't know how to play it anymore is ridiculous. I honestly think we're all trying to say the same thing. Trying to lay down a bunt without squaring up early is a lot harder with today's pitching, so they've stopped doing it. Shift be damned. It's no longer a high enough percentage play to make it worth it. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7672
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @karlsson

I agree the game isn't as fun to watch. But to say any of it is because the players don't know how to play it anymore is ridiculous. I honestly think we're all trying to say the same thing. Trying to lay down a bunt without squaring up early is a lot harder with today's pitching, so they've stopped doing it. Shift be damned. It's no longer a high enough percentage play to make it worth it. 

If you can do it against the shift, you're on base, aren't you? OBP. That's an analytic, aka the New Religion of sports...

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

If you can do it against the shift, you're on base, aren't you? OBP. That's an analytic, aka the New Religion of sports...

No, because you've likely messed it up and bunted it right to the pitcher, fouled it, or missed it completely. Do you really think no one would be doing it if it were as simple as you're trying to make it sound?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Yes, I do. The coaches say, "Do this," and you better do that, or you will be cut, unless you're Trout or Judge or whoever. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Can you imagine Sonny Gray or Jake Ryan pulling a Jack Morris? No, not in this day and age. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

So it is simple, puts a team in a better position to win, but despite this no managers call it? 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

So it is simple, puts a team in a better position to win, but despite this no managers call it? 

Must. Follow. Analytics. In. Analytics. We. Trust. 😉

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Analytics is fine...as a GUIDE. It shouldn't be the rule book. Need context added to those guidelines. That's all I am saying.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

You missed the part where he said "It's a lot harder with today's pitching, so they've stopped doing it." You're just as likely to put it right back to the pitcher or pop it straight up in the air as you are to drop it down the third base line soft enough that it doesn't roll all the way to the 3B (pull shift for RHH) or 1B (pull shift for LHH). 

You do see guys attempt it occasionally (not necessarily on the Twins because we don't have a ton of overly dramatic shifts against us - Kepler tends to have the biggest shifts IIRC, but guys like Anthony Rizzo used to get 10-15 hits a year doing it), but the huge shifts tend to be more against LHH and the Twins in particular don't have a lot of dead pull lefties (Kepler being the exception). Lefties have a significant edge on bunt hits against the shift (like 150pts higher) than righties. There was an article I read last year, I can't remember where it was from, that talked about why more hitters don't bunt against the shift. The stats were something along the lines of LHH batting .450 on bunts in play against the shift, RHH batting about .300 against the shift. These stats were only on balls that actually went in play (I assume in part because he'd have to pour through every single at-bat to find ABs where they fouled off a bunt attempt or two and then swung away) so it isn't a true outcome result, but it's obviously a mostly effective way to get on base when they get the bunt down. 

I'd be curious to see what the end results of all at-bats where a bunt against the shift was attempted (including foul balls etc.) but I'm not sure where to find that data, or if it even exists. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Another lead blown late Cleveland. Yawn. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626

Dick and Justin were just talking about maybe a 5 game sweep when it was 3-0... ? 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Dick and Justin were just talking about maybe a 5 game sweep when it was 3-0... ? 

So they predicted the come back….

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Booo this team!  Boooooooo!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

This Sanchez catcher flirts with danger on every inside pitch to left handed batter by trying to catch it back handed.  Wild pitch scores a runner from 2nd.  Cripes!

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 75

Twins finding a way to blow another game after leading 3-0!  Might be looking at getting swept again!

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

When Jake Cave is your offense you're pretty much screwed let's be honest. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10525
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @bertogliat

This Sanchez catcher flirts with danger on every inside pitch to left handed batter by trying to catch it back handed.  Wild pitch scores a runner from 2nd.  Cripes!

The Twins are really good at finding interesting ways to give leads & lose games.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle
Posted by: @bertogliat

The Twins are really good at finding interesting ways to give leads & lose games.

There is an unofficial official term for that. Twinning. 

"How's MN doing?"
"They're Twinning."

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2000

Was just watching Dan Burrito on Enough Said tonight on ch 9. Said the Twins have the most babied pitching staff in history and all they have to show for it is a bunch of injured pitchers.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

The wheels started falling off when Gordon made the bad throw on a ground ball. Led to 3 runs for Cleveland in the 7th. Then a 71mph jam shot for a single, a hard hit single, a pinch runner and a spiked breaking ball that bounces 30 feet in the air and the Twins lose. 

On one hand, it's a very Minnesota way to lose a game. On the other, Cleveland has had a horseshoe or 4 stuck up their hind parts for a few weeks now.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Matt Wallner from Forest Lake hits a HR in his major league debut. A lone bright spot so far in game 1 of todays doubleheader. And the DB who caught it from Cleveland is being a jerk about giving it to the Twins. 

https://twitter.com/BallySportsNOR/status/1571218355008466945

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1571222721765203970

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

Sanchez SUCKS defensively & can’t HIT a lick…pathetic!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Twins and Cleveland officially in MLB's longest game of the season.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Cleveland wins on a walkoff E6 with two outs in the bottom of the 15th.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7234
Post on old board: 10120

Ugh

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6987
Post on old board: 18942

Of course.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

No one is surprised. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

No one is surprised. 

I mean I'm surprised they lasted 6 extra innings and that it took a defensive error on a hard hit but relatively routine ground ball to lose. Does that count?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I’ll be back in February asking if the Twins signed any free agent pitchers.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  

Twins won 3-0 today. Wonderful pitching performance by Ryan and the bullpen. Keeping what minimally slim hopes they have alive for another day, at least.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Gray gives up a moon shot to Cleveland in the 1st. 3-0 after 1

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

oof

bart simpson drain GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

GIF

Steve MN reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1571956565137301510

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1211
Post on old board: 6912

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1571956565137301510

Typical…the Twins LOSER syndrome has evidently infected Lopez…Twins lose 4 of 5 at Cleveland. They’re DONE & have been for awhile…

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1233
Post on old board: 5547

so the Twins removed a starting pitcher for the 6th time this season who had given up 1 run or less going into the 5th inning

Hooray

Aloha!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gopher6

so the Twins removed a starting pitcher for the 6th time this season who had given up 1 run or less going into the 5th inning

Hooray

When? Sonny Gray gave up a 3 run HR in the first inning. Last time I checked, 3 is more than 1 run or less.

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 241
Post on old board: 8761

Posted by: @beauner
Posted by: @gopher6

Hooray

When? Sonny Gray gave up a 3 run HR in the first inning. Last time I checked, 3 is more than 1 run or less.

I think he meant 1 hit or less, not one run. Barreiro was ranting about it today. I think he was referring to Ober’s start over the weekend.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

https://twitter.com/pioneerpress/status/1572029981571661825?s=46&t=Vy1s_eRc4f1-OPhoV_AMmQ

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

So I’m going to the Twins game next Tuesday. 
I feel like maybe they should be paying me to go….

but at least I’ll have a cool hat.  

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

Can I give you a list of player jerseys to buy so they won't be on the team next year? ?

Cowgirl reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Can I give you a list of player jerseys to buy so they won't be on the team next year? ?

You have her mixed up with me. I'm 2/2 on players getting traded/released the same year I buy a jersey (Guzman, Austidillo)

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

If y’all are buying, sure!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Oh no, I have a jersey curse.  So far it’s just been with the Wild.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Oh no, I have a jersey curse.  So far it’s just been with the Wild.

Ah, so you have the Wild curse, I have the Twins curse. 😉

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

If y’all are buying, sure!

Just put it on my tab.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2600
Post on old board: 15478

@greyeagle good gif for pretty much the entire MN professional sportscape.

Page 15 / 17