34 Users
32 Likes
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

The NIT dream is coming to an end.

Less than a minute on the clock & down by 13.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3335
Post on old board: 30840

Rough game from Dawson today. That Indiana State team 100% got jobbed not getting into the big dance too, btw

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

If Ben wants to keep his job he better get quite a few players in the portal cause we are not close to an NCAA team with what we have and what is coming. 

ReplyQuote
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 261

Posted by: @handyman

If Ben wants to keep his job he better get quite a few players in the portal cause we are not close to an NCAA team with what we have and what is coming.

That may be true. Also, it seems even when this team can shoot the ball well in a game there are too many mental lapses, just poor basketball decisions.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6973
Post on old board: 18942

One could maybe say "no big loss" but for a team sorely lacking in depth already you'd rather have continuity than have to replace those minutes from the portal.

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/status/1773017156587786518?s=20

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 970
Post on old board: 8405

I cannot stand the Portal  Now if a coach leaves or a Asst coach leaves I am then for it

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12505
Post on old board: 9626

Add another--

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1773352291136897132

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1165

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Add another--

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1773352291136897132

Ola-Joseph is replaceable but losing Payne hurts a lot.  Team looks headed back to the bottom of the Big Ten.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4380

That one hurts. Damn. Big loss.

ReplyQuote
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

ugh, !@#$ OFF (not PP, don't really blame him....)

ReplyQuote
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Carrington in the portal now too.  You cannot make it up. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Woof! Ben must be feeling the heat right now.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about anybody "entering the portal" until we see them actually commit to somewhere else. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Ben's done.  The one reason most gave to keep him was so the players didn't leave...now he has nothing.

No one to blame but himself.

Sad thing is none of the guys leaving are really all that great, but they are irreplaceable on this team right now.

ReplyQuote

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @beauner

I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about anybody "entering the portal" until we see them actually commit to somewhere else. 

I respect your ability to remain calm and positive, but come on.  None of these players are returning.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1165

Ben's done.  The one reason most gave to keep him was so the players didn't leave...now he has nothing.

No one to blame but himself.

Sad thing is none of the guys leaving are really all that great, but they are irreplaceable on this team right now.

They're all replaceable....but I have zero confidence Ben can replace them.  

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I agree with @handyman, he is done. 

ReplyQuote
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 261

When these players are asked why they're entering the portal, what is their response?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

What is the percentage of players that enter the portal return to their team?  It is a very small percentage...and Payne for sure has offers.  Not to mention why would a coach want a player back if they said they were leaving?  Ben would look even weaker if he did that.

I know you want to stay positive brother but this is not them entering the NBA Draft to get some insights...they are entering the portal to find better options. (and probably already have some) Truth is JOJ and Carrington probably belong in Mid-Majors anyways which is a sad indictment on the type of recruiting Ben has done.  And the insiders are saying more is coming.  Christie is probably next.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil

When these players are asked why they're entering the portal, what is their response?

They would give some lame generic answer...Payne its money and a better team.  He has no NBA future so he needs to cash in now and while reports are we offered a nice NIL deal there is more money out there than we can offer.

What's depressing is there are schools that have just as many disadvantages as we do (some have more) that find a way to make it work.  The right hire can still do that for the non-Blue Bloods. (ask Iowa State)  The only chance we have is to break the bank on a coach who will get fans to care.  We need to put money into this, or the few fans we have left are going to quit.

College sports is becoming completely unwatchable.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Man the reports coming out are wild.  Carrington and JOJ apparently think they deserve more money and playing time?  Carrington was very good defensively but offensively was barely a Big Ten level player.  JOJ was so bad off the ball he was benched and he had limited passing ability or defensive awareness.

Sounds like all 3 decided together to leave.

College sports is dying...I mean it is bad enough we are dealing with it look at all the teams better than us who are losing players.  This is not sustainable.

ReplyQuote

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Ihnen and JOJ were expected...Carrington and Payne notsomuch.

Fox, Garcia and Christie need to come back (Hawkins so far has said he is) or next year could be a 5 alarm disaster.

This all seems weird...local role players leaving like Carrington?  Payne it sounds like people are in his ear about money but Carrington?  Ben was super patient with him and put him in great spots to succeed.  If the portal wasn't nuts in general I would think they are leaving cause Ben is in trouble...

The reality is though: 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Absurd. Carrington might be delusional if he thinks that. 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

What is the percentage of players that enter the portal return to their team?  It is a very small percentage...and Payne for sure has offers.  Not to mention why would a coach want a player back if they said they were leaving?  Ben would look even weaker if he did that.

I know you want to stay positive brother but this is not them entering the NBA Draft to get some insights...they are entering the portal to find better options. (and probably already have some) Truth is JOJ and Carrington probably belong in Mid-Majors anyways which is a sad indictment on the type of recruiting Ben has done.  And the insiders are saying more is coming.  Christie is probably next.

I have no idea what the percentage is that enter and return, probably not high. But I also don't think any of these guys outside of MAYBE Payne is going to find themselves in a better spot next year unless we're speaking strictly playing-time.
I'd seen rumors that Payne got really irritated when he got benched against Michigan State in the Big Ten tournament. The game he had 7 turnovers in 15 minutes of play.
He's a phenomenal athlete and made a lot of strides in parts of his game but he was still a sub-50% FT shooter and turned it over far too frequently for somebody who handled the ball as infrequently as he did. I had hopes that he'd be here for 4 years because he's the type of kid who could be a real force in the Big Ten as a junior/senior (especially after Edey is gone).

There were rumors of Carrington wanting out back in like November or December (whenever he took a leave of absence from the team), and with Asuma coming in next year his playing time likely wasn't going to increase so he doesn't surprise me at all. JOJ had some fantastic moments and flashes but wasn't consistent enough to stay on the court for extended stretches.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Ihnen and JOJ were expected...Carrington and Payne notsomuch.

Fox, Garcia and Christie need to come back (Hawkins so far has said he is) or next year could be a 5 alarm disaster.

This all seems weird...local role players leaving like Carrington?  Payne it sounds like people are in his ear about money but Carrington?  Ben was super patient with him and put him in great spots to succeed.  If the portal wasn't nuts in general I would think they are leaving cause Ben is in trouble...

The reality is though: 

-- attachment is not available --

If Hawkins, Christie, and Garcia come back, with Mitchell and Fox returning as well, and Asuma coming in, I don't think this team is any worse off than they started last year tbh, and are certainly in a better position entering the offseason. 

Remember how underwhelmed many on this board were with the guys Ben brought in from the transfer portal after who we lost in the portal last year?

Then Hawkins led the country in assists/game, Mitchell averaged 10+ points/game and shot 40% from 3 too. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Without an inside presence they are toast and not one of those guys solves that.  You are looking at a team that will be jump shooting all day and none of them are consistent enough to make that work.  In fact only Christie is trustworthy as a shooter and he is streaky.  And don't get me started on Garcia being an inside guy...

Even with Payne this year half the time they struggled in the paint (because he was not a great defender and got in a lot of foul trouble) and so they were going to need at least another Big to back him or if needed play with him.  Now they need two and they both need to be good enough to play in the Big Ten day 1.  If you run out there with Fox, Garcia and some D2 or NDSU center you will be a Weakling Wednesday team even in a mediocre Big Ten.

As I said on Ghole, 24 hours ago we had holes in the team and needed pieces...I mean we lost in round 2 of the NIT.  So we are starting from a position of well...meh.  But we had a foundation and players were showing improvement.  We were going to lose JOJ and Ihnen and that is fine they are replaceable.  Christie was really the big worry because he is likely testing the draft. (like his brother did)  We had the core of Hawkins controlling the ball and Payne in the paint though and some pieces like Carrington who off the bench is a solid option.  Even if Fox retired or Garcia went pro we could absorb that...now one more loss and this could be a really bad run.  The team as is will take a major step back or at best tread water which gets Ben canned.

ReplyQuote
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

I didn't know you ventured over to Gopher Hole. Figured that was way beneath you after the way you have talked about the place over the years. 🤣 

Is it because bonin posts more over there or is the political forum your guilty pleasure? 😎 

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I won't go to the political forum...yikes!

I won't lie bonin was what started me there...

ReplyQuote
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Yikes is right haha

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

My cousin used to post on the Football Board which also helped. 

True story...one Thanksgiving I was over at his house and Kevin friggin Lynch showed up to watch games with us.  He had to leave to do a Wolves game!

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Ryan James is saying that the guys who left spent most of the latter part of the season being "cancers" in the locker room.  I always have a hard time believing this stuff from insiders because it is all just too convenient.  RJ isn't Sid though so there might be some truth to it.

One reason to go to Ghole is there are people there who hate Gopher Illustrated and the other pay sites so they post all the info.  Apparently there is quite the feud between the two. (or was)  

Just stay away from the Off Topic board and be very liberal with your blocks 😀

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Ryan James is saying that the guys who left spent most of the latter part of the season being "cancers" in the locker room.  I always have a hard time believing this stuff from insiders because it is all just too convenient.  RJ isn't Sid though so there might be some truth to it.

One reason to go to Ghole is there are people there who hate Gopher Illustrated and the other pay sites so they post all the info.  Apparently there is quite the feud between the two. (or was)  

If the complaints about playing time were true, I have 0 problem believing they were creating issues in the locker room.

Somebody on Twitter mentioned a couple guys that hit the transfer portal didn't even really celebrate their opening round NIT win. I didn't see any clips of it, nor did I search them out, but it's not hard to believe IMO

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't put much stock in that...it's not like the NIT matters much.  People try too hard to read player reactions on TV when they have no clue why a player is racing the way they are. 

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

Lady Gophers to WNIT title game vs. St. Louis. Great turnaround for them. Hate on the NIT all you want, this has been fun to see and great building by the team assuming the portal doesn’t decimate us. 

ReplyQuote

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @jwg

Lady Gophers to WNIT title game vs. St. Louis. Great turnaround for them. Hate on the NIT all you want, this has been fun to see and great building by the team assuming the portal doesn’t decimate us. 

They were playing really good ball before the pair of injuries totally derailed them (Braun first, and then Hart). I think they started like 15-3 before the Braun injury and finished like 17-15. 

Braun did not play tonight but it is nice to see the team overcome losing her to win and advance. Amaya Battle was FANTASTIC tonight.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12505
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherMBB/status/1775968055320871275

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

Good news for the team and Ben...who I really want to succeed.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Posted by: @jwg

They were playing really good ball before the pair of injuries totally derailed them (Braun first, and then Hart). I think they started like 15-3 before the Braun injury and finished like 17-15. 

Braun did not play tonight but it is nice to see the team overcome losing her to win and advance. Amaya Battle was FANTASTIC tonight.

Will she be back for the Ship? I know she has been nursing the injury and held out 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

No one should hate on an NIT run especially in the first year of a new coach.  That is a positive sign that should always be applauded.  When Pitino did it people were pumped!

The Women got themselves a legit coach...fans need to embrace it and get on board!

As for Garcia that is the first good news we have gotten.  I assume Fox is next.  Christie seems iffy.  They need to get a lot of help in the portal or there will be a lot of whining that we didn't go after Musselman who just took the USC job. (And apparently he reached out mid-season)  I want Ben to succeed too but if he doesn't make the NCAAs he is likely done so he needs some home runs here. 

ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 95

I think if Cam comes back and the Gophers can add a couple nice depth pieces in the portal, they will make a little improvement on the regular season next year and make it to the NCAA tourney. Provided they don't have any unfortunate major injuries of course.

ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 95

Great to see the women's team in the WNIT final. I've always liked these consolation tourney's. Teams can really springboard off of a good showing. It is unfortunate the "neutral" site is right outside of St. Louis, giving the Billikens a little advantage. But this Gophers team has been battling during this tournament. It will be nice to see them pull it off. And what is up with this WBIT? Since when have their been two different consolation tournaments? And why does the WBIT have a lot more major programs? Seems the Gophers were snubbed from that? Oh well. It worked out anyway I guess.

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @jaymedinc

Great to see the women's team in the WNIT final. I've always liked these consolation tourney's. Teams can really springboard off of a good showing. It is unfortunate the "neutral" site is right outside of St. Louis, giving the Billikens a little advantage. But this Gophers team has been battling during this tournament. It will be nice to see them pull it off. And what is up with this WBIT? Since when have their been two different consolation tournaments? And why does the WBIT have a lot more major programs? Seems the Gophers were snubbed from that? Oh well. It worked out anyway I guess.

The WBIT started this year and is run by the NCAA---it really is what the NIT is on the men's side.  The WNIT is now privately held and is really the third tier--like the schools need to pay for much of the things themselves which is why the women's team has had to fly commercial and take long bus rides--not the usual for their big ten season.  But they have really done well given all the circumstances and hopefully can use this as a great jumping off point for next year. 

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jaymedinc

I think if Cam comes back and the Gophers can add a couple nice depth pieces in the portal, they will make a little improvement on the regular season next year and make it to the NCAA tourney. Provided they don't have any unfortunate major injuries of course.

They need more than depth.  Losing Payne is a huge setback and right now it appears the replacement choices aren't anything more than depth players.  The team had flaws before the losses so the portal needs to be kind!

Welcome to the board btw! Smile

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1277

I think the cancer stuff is probably overblown, but it's clear these three all felt like they weren't be treated well and the portal makes it all too easy to find the love somewhere else. Payne is a tough one because they did everything possible to identify him early, make him a priority, develop him on the court, support him through injury and find NIL money for him to at least be in the new ballgame... when players like that want to move on, then you probably don't want to do anything more to keep them around.

Garcia coming back is a huge win for Ben. Darius coming back is a huge win for PJ. Snuggerud coming back is a huge win for Motzko... Dinkytown Athletes is doing their part and the coaches are doing their part.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

DTA is doing great there is no doubt!

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6973
Post on old board: 18942

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I am pretty sure I am a better free throw shooter than that guy...I would rather have him backing up Payne not replacing him.  He won't rebound like that in the Big Ten.  

At this point though we need someone so...yay?

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Cam Christie declares for the NBA draft (LOL). Maintains college eligibility.

https://twitter.com/24CameronC/status/1778864446208667908  

ReplyQuote

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Cam Christie declares for the NBA draft (LOL). Maintains college eligibility.

https://twitter.com/24CameronC/status/1778864446208667908  

Not unexpected. Hopefully he gets news that he should come back to school.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4