796 Posts
56 Users
92 Likes
32 K Views
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

OSU kills the major but takes another penalty after and who else but Murphy makes it 2-0. 12 left in the second.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

OSU gets one back to make it 2-1 but Hemp answers right back. 3-1 Gophers. 3 to play in the second.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4713
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Well, there was definitely head contact, but it was a shove. Sounds like the refs' hands were tied unless they wanted to just call roughing, which I assume would happen in a men's game.

Same as with the men, the head contact is mandatory 5 minute major.  But, like with Snuggerud a week ago, no game misconduct.

And yes, while Murphy did drop pretty easily, that was a full-on shove to her facemask.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

WCHA tourney champs. On to the next banner

Steve MN reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1816
Post on old board: 8686

Let's go women!!

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7615

What a great weekend of hockey by the Gophers beating Wisconsin and Ohio State both in less than 24 hours.

They finish the season number #2 in Pairwise and now have 3 wins, 1 loss and 1 tie against the team who finished Pairwise #1.

Skylar Vetter was on her game all weekend giving up only one goal to Ohio State today after only giving up two goals yesterday against the BADgers.

This team can beat you many different ways often it is with Heise and Zumwinkle scoring goals but this weekend it was with lock down defense and good goaltending.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7756
Post on old board: 35040

There's only one thing left to do...win the whole...f*ing...thing. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1816
Post on old board: 8686

I get Jaques for OSU is a great player and won WCHA player of the year, but her making the all tournament team is interesting.  She was a bit of a non-factor in the tournament, and I acknowledge she's a defenseman, but was 0-22 on shots with 0 points on the weekend.

Feels like someone else for OSU may have been a choice.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4507

Went to the game, Gophers flat out brought it today. They were the better team. Heise and Murphy played outstanding, same with Vettar. Now let’s win the NCAAs!

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 851
Post on old board: 5335

NCAA selection show at 11 tomorrow 

Guessing MN hosts UMD and Clarkson.  Just win a rematch of a game from last year and might need to do it again while trying to keep UMD from playing on  their home ice. 

ARM
 ARM
(@arlan-marttila)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 25

Posted by: @jwg
I get Jaques for OSU is a great player and won WCHA player of the year, but her making the all tournament team is interesting.  She was a bit of a non-factor in the tournament, and I acknowledge she's a defenseman, but was 0-22 on shots with 0 points on the weekend.

Feels like someone else for OSU may have been a choice.

I see what you're saying, but that would likely require an all-tourney team with four forwards and only one D; I always hated those. The forwards picked were: Murhpy, 3 goals; Hemp, goal + 2 assists; Heise, 3 assists. Those were more productive tourneys than anyone from OSU had, where they had a goal deflect in off a skate, a nice unassisted goal by Maltais, and Rosenthal's follow-up of a breakaway, the only goal that had an assist. At least Jaques was a big part of shutting down the Heise line 5-on-5, as that unit only had the ENG. It is easier for her to edge out the other UM defenders than an OSU forward to get the nod over those three Gophs.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12656
Post on old board: 9626

Gophers are the #2 overall seed. Will play the winner of UMD/Clarkson

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1247
Post on old board: 5547

complete schedule of playoffs to Frozen 4 in UMD

https://www.uscho.com/ncaa/womens-division-i-ncaa-tournament/

Aloha!

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

I'm just a peripheral follower of the Women's team, meaning I watch games when they are on and get the updates via Twitter.  Can someone explain to me why there are only 11 teams in the NCAAs?  Seems like a really odd way to plan a tournament.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

To fit the NCAAs desired percentage of teams playing the sport making the tournament.

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1242
Post on old board: 5215

Is there any TV/streaming coverage of NCAA tournament games?

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

I believe the frozen four will be streamed by ESPN+ but I don't know if anything else is

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

I believe the frozen four will be streamed by ESPN+ but I don't know if anything else is

The semifinals are on ESPN +, the Championship game is on ESPNU.

Haven't seen anything on the quarterfinals as of yet.  Previously they have streamed on NCAA.com

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2639
Post on old board: 7833

UMD vs. Clarkson Thursday at 6:00 at Ridder in first round NCAA action. Former Gopher Anne Cherkowski  is Clarkson’s leading scorer (tied). Other local ties are a couple of Wayzata alums, Emily Wisnewski and Gretchen Branton.

https://clarksonathletics.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/stats/2022-23?path=whock

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 263

Clarkson women's team. Canadian, eh?

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

ESPN+ and then ESPNU championship? That's terrible coverage. What a bummer.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1242
Post on old board: 5215

Thank you both for the reply. I was focused on the quarterfinal vs UMD/Clarkson. Hopefully there's some streaming option, such as NCAA.com, which had been mentioned.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Heise snubbed. Wow. What a joke. 

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/1633528020538630144?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3965
Post on old board: 12555

So this Saturday you can watch the women's team play at 2 pm, find a nice spot for dinner, and then stay to watch the men's team smoke Michigan State.  

Pretty....pretty....pretty....pretty good.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

So this Saturday you can watch the women's team play at 2 pm, find a nice spot for dinner, and then stay to watch the men's team smoke Michigan State. 

This is my plan for the day.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7137
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/1633528020538630144?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

Is it possible she split votes with Grace - who H2H compares just as favorably to Mueller?

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

I’m getting some yeah ok have that… imma get the real prize vibes from this. Reminded me of MJ’s documentary. 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Is it possible she split votes with Grace - who H2H compares just as favorably to Mueller?

-- attachment is not available --

I guess... but in my opinion Heise not making the final 3 is totally ridiculous.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

-- attachment is not available --

I guess... but in my opinion Heise not making the final 3 is totally ridiculous.

Maybe - I simply just posited a possible cause.  Grace certain was on a par with Mueller for GWG and PPG.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Haven't confirmed yet but believe Saturdays game will be on BTN+.  I know the UMD/Clarkson game Thursday is for sure. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Haven't confirmed yet but believe Saturdays game will be on BTN+.  I know the UMD/Clarkson game Thursday is for sure. 

BTN+ shows the Gophers on at 2pm on Saturday.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Posted by: @frozen4champs

BTN+ shows the Gophers on at 2pm on Saturday.

All of the BTN+ games, so the UMD/Clarkson and Penn State/Quinnipiac opening round games Thursday and the MN and Ohio State Quarterfinals on Saturday are all available for free.

You do NOT need to be a BTN+ subscriber to watch them. Pass it along. 

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Duluth beats Clarkson 2-0

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Got to beat UMD and Soderberg, arguably the hottest goalie in the country a 5th time. They failed last year. Hopefully that changes this year..

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level

Penn State and Quinnipiac nearly five minutes into OT #3.

Ohio State sitting back laughing awaiting the winner. 

Bucky beats LIU 9-1 and gets Colgate Saturday. 

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden

Penn State and Quinnipiac nearly five minutes into OT #3.

Ohio State sitting back laughing awaiting the winner. 

Bucky beats LIU 9-1 and gets Colgate Saturday. 

Quinnipiac winds up winning 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

For those who subscribe to the Athletic, there is a long story about the culture going on within the Harvard Women's hockey team. So eye opening stuff.

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1634175568974434304

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Good Lord. Without reading the article, naked skates and "mental Hunger-games" sounds like something you'd think in 2023 would never happen. Even if the title is somewhat sensationalized, how can a staff be that oblivious? 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Good Lord. Without reading the article, naked skates and "mental Hunger-games" sounds like something you'd think in 2023 would never happen. Even if the title is somewhat sensationalized, how can a staff be that oblivious? 

Not having read the article yet, I'm trying to come up with a way that the headline could be sensationalized so far that the underlying facts still aren't insanely bad.  Unsurprisingly, I haven't found a way for that.

EDIT:  Partway through the article now.  If what's being reported is even close to being true (not suggesting it isn't), I'm curious how close some of this came to actual criminal behavior.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

It’s bad.  

Players allegedly recall a fining system “Some players had to pay a ‘gay tax’ or an ’Asian tax.’”

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

It’s bad.  

Players allegedly recall a fining system “Some players had to pay a ‘gay tax’ or an ’Asian tax.’”

There's a reference to it resembling the Stanford Prison Experiment.  And from what I've read so far, that fits.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

It’s bad.  

I can somewhat guess the former but the latter? Regardless I don't even want to know the details.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

It’s bad.  

I can somewhat guess the former but the latter? Regardless I don't even want to know the details.

There was a system of monetary "fines" (apparently very low amounts, but the amount doesn't matter, it's the concept that's so insanely wrong) for any number of things.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

A couple of the takeaways from the article. 

1. Time for this coach to retire. 

2. Where was the leadership on this team?  At some point through the years you would have hoped they would have stepped in. 

3. A situation like this is one of the benefits of the transfer portal, which I'm normally not a huge fan of. 

I think what makes Faber such a great leader on the Gophers is the circumstances he grew up with in regards to his sister. I'm sure he has seen the struggles his sister has had to endure and he goes out of his way to make sure everyone on the Gophers is treated equally.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2. Where was the leadership on this team?  At some point through the years you would have hoped they would have stepped in. 

As near as I can tell, the leadership was actively participating.  If you didn't play along, you didn't get to be part of the leadership.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

As near as I can tell, the leadership was actively participating.  If you didn't play along, you didn't get to be part of the leadership.

According to the allegations, coaches were rewarding players who would rat out their teammates for eating improperly, drinking too much or even being promiscuous.  Coaches allegedly had some player send photos of their plates to coaches before they ate meals.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

While the Harvard Sociology Department is cranking out white papers on gender equity, diversity and inclusion, their hockey team is in violation of its own policy?

That's an astonishing and embarrassing contradiction, if not a delicious irony. ? 

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level

naked skates and "mental Hunger-games" sounds like something you'd think in 2023 would never happen.

I've seen the naked 1/4 ran at the old U track in 1991. Far cry from 2023, but hey.

Page 8 / 16