783 Posts
98 Users
451 Likes
14.7 K Views
Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 440

Who has mentioned Kurth being the one to go besides maybe Wilson34?

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7579

Posted by: @koho

The NIL decision came from the idea that college athletes are entitled to some of the money colleges are making off of them.  Then why is there still a limit on number of scholarships that is less than enough to field a full team? Will NCAA look at allowing more scholies in the future? Might alleviate a few of the issues with portal.

The NIL decision wasn't done because the people in power decided they wanted to share money with players they were basically forced to. They likely aren't excited about adding scholarships. Normally management wants to restrict what they give to the people working for them until forced to change.

ReplyQuote
DinkyTownDog
(@dinkytowndog)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 34

Strobel at St. Thomas makes a lot of sense. Has always talked about choosing Minnesota to stay close to home. Also would imagine he would have a spot there to be an every game guy. Only down side is sacrificing a title opportunity.

Celsior and Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2261

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

The NIL decision came from the idea that college athletes are entitled to some of the money colleges are making off of them.  Then why is there still a limit on number of scholarships that is less than enough to field a full team? Will NCAA look at allowing more scholies in the future? Might alleviate a few of the issues with portal.

The NIL decision wasn't done because the people in power decided they wanted to share money with players they were basically forced to. They likely aren't excited about adding scholarships. Normally management wants to restrict what they give to the people working for them until forced to change.

@koho the scholarships are also set in regards to title IX (from an institution standpoint) and competitive balance. I'm sure football programs like Bama would love to be able to give out 200 scholarships if they could sign/keep that many players. There is variation amongst the conferences as well. AHA is capped at 14. 

I am sure there are also "creative" ways to get these guys extra scholarship money in terms of academic scholarships, which are determined outside of this provided you meet the academic criteria. 

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

Posted by: @goldy77

There’s a reason I mentioned Kurth. If there isn’t anymore portal adds or unforeseen signings, would we all still take Wood if he wants to come here? I think we all answer yes to that.

So with that said, logically looking at the forward group for the upcoming season something would have to give. Kurth would be low on the priority list in my opinion.

There’s a role for him but it just might not be the role he wants. And as I said in a previous post if that results in him transferring then so be it. Again, that’s my opinion and someone else could see another player in that scenario over Kurth.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4466

Get Matthew Wood on campus and let them all battle it out for top 9 minutes. Kurth, Lamb, Clark, Hendrickson, Pahlsson, etc.

Injuries happen all the time. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4644
Post on old board: 28736

A few points:

Don't know why some people are ready for Kurth to leave. I think he was one of more consistent players late season. Sure, not a big numbers guy, but was one of the better forecheckers at the end of the season.  (And while Pitlick did seem to taper off at end of season, I definitely would welcome him back.)

Some posters seem to think portal is driven by coaches suggesting to players they move on.  It seems likely that it is mostly player decision based on where they see themselves fitting than coaches suggesting to players they leave.

Wood sounds like a player worth finding room for, but I don't see value in adding a handful of players from portal regularily.  Develop a team based on players you develop, but just take advantage of portal options when huge improvement or have hole to fill.

NIL is not run by the school and scholarships are.

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

@koho the scholarships are also set in regards to title IX (from an institution standpoint) and competitive balance. I'm sure football programs like Bama would love to be able to give out 200 scholarships if they could sign/keep that many players. There is variation amongst the conferences as well. AHA is capped at 14. 

I am sure there are also "creative" ways to get these guys extra scholarship money in terms of academic scholarships, which are determined outside of this provided you meet the academic criteria. 

Pretty sure you can't be on both.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Is it possible some of you are over inflating the value of Matthew Wood?

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2261

Posted by: @handyman

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Pretty sure you can't be on both.

NCAA requirements to combine academic and athletic scholarships

Does the NCAA let you combine academic and athletic scholarships? Yes, but you have to earn it in the classroom. While Division I athletic scholarships are relatively easy to qualify for — you need to graduate high school, complete 16 core courses and earn a GPA of 2.3 —the criteria are significantly higher for student-athletes looking to secure non-athletic financial aid. To accept an academic scholarship as an incoming freshman, student-athletes need to meet the following criteria:

Division I:

• Top 10 percent of high school graduating class
  • 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.0
  • 1200 SAT score/105 ACT sum score

Division II:

• Top 20 percent of high school graduating class
  • 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.0
  • 1140 SAT score/100 ACT sum score

By imposing these requirements, the NCAA is preventing schools from using academic scholarships as a loophole to get athletes to compete at their school These requirements ensure athletes who combine athletic and academic aid truly deserve it. For this reason, athletes with impressive academics are especially valuable to coaches. If a coach is evaluating you and a comparable athlete to fill a positional need, good grades and test scores can give you an edge. The coach will make an offer to the recruit with better academics almost every time.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5210

cary elwes GIF

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 292

A few points:

Don't know why some people are ready for Kurth to leave. I think he was one of more consistent players late season. Sure, not a big numbers guy, but was one of the better forecheckers at the end of the season.  (And while Pitlick did seem to taper off at end of season, I definitely would welcome him back.)

Some posters seem to think portal is driven by coaches suggesting to players they move on.  It seems likely that it is mostly player decision based on where they see themselves fitting than coaches suggesting to players they leave.

Wood sounds like a player worth finding room for, but I don't see value in adding a handful of players from portal regularily.  Develop a team based on players you develop, but just take advantage of portal options when huge improvement or have hole to fill.

I have always understood this. But my point was, NCAA was forced into the NIL situation they are in now.  They are forced to accept that the players are essentially employees (albeit, a lot of these 'employees' don't result in net income for the school). Combined with the portal, NIL is making a mess of college ('amateur') sports. I am guessing that in some cases, players are choosing to switch schools when they might be able to get a full scholarship instead of partial. And obviously some schools will have an advantage with NIL. Having more scholarships available might mitigate a few of the transfers and show NCAA is accepting the decision.  Of course as one person pointed out, there is a big economic reason not to do this, since increasing scholarships for the couple money-making sports will also mean increases for athletes in non-money making sports, which I am guessing is the case for just about all women's sports (other than Iowa bball) as well as most all men's sports.

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

I don't think so, but that is just my opinion. He's a big-time talent with great size and he knows how to finish.  Nobody knows how he would mesh with the guys, but that's a chance you take with his skill set.  IMO, he would be the 2nd most dangerous goal scorer on the team.  I would also say his size could help us tremendously, which would be a great fill with Jaxon's departure.

ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 95

Posted by: @karlsson

That, and a playing surface they were used to that everyone else struggled with.

Oh, and don’t forget the air conditioning vents! 😉 

All the reason that they should've kept the bigger sheet of ice at Mariucci.

ReplyQuote

DreamLoss
(@dreamloss)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 122

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

I don't think so, but that is just my opinion. He's a big-time talent with great size and he knows how to finish.  Nobody knows how he would mesh with the guys, but that's a chance you take with his skill set.  IMO, he would be the 2nd most dangerous goal scorer on the team.  I would also say his size could help us tremendously, which would be a great fill with Jaxon's departure.

I think some are, especially tied to the comments stating an addition of Wood automatically makes us national contenders. He's a goal scorer that would easily jump into a spot on the wing on one of our top two lines, but his skating ability and compete-level have always been questioned (typing that out makes me think of Brodzinski but Wood is bigger & more talented) and he isn't a play-driver that is going to carry a team like Cooley. However, if the addition of Wood means there is no spot for a fifth-year Nevers, I think you make that trade all day. The fact of the matter is that Nevers regressed this season, going from 23 points as a junior to 15 as a senior, and while I'm all for the need of a vocal leader, that only carries you so far. 

But let's be honest here, once the journalists backtracked on the Gophers being the favorites to land Wood, we all know where someone from Alberta is going to end up anyways 😕 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7115
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @jaymedinc

Posted by: @karlsson

That, and a playing surface they were used to that everyone else struggled with.

Oh, and don’t forget the air conditioning vents! 😉 

All the reason that they should've kept the bigger sheet of ice at Mariucci.

Noo GIF by Harlem

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

Posted by: @dreamloss

I think some are, especially tied to the comments stating an addition of Wood automatically makes us national contenders. He's a goal scorer that would easily jump into a spot on the wing on one of our top two lines, but his skating ability and compete-level have always been questioned (typing that out makes me think of Brodzinski but Wood is bigger & more talented) and he isn't a play-driver that is going to carry a team like Cooley. However, if the addition of Wood means there is no spot for a fifth-year Nevers, I think you make that trade all day. The fact of the matter is that Nevers regressed this season, going from 23 points as a junior to 15 as a senior, and while I'm all for the need of a vocal leader, that only carries you so far. 

But let's be honest here, once the journalists backtracked on the Gophers being the favorites to land Wood, we all know where someone from Alberta is going to end up anyways 😕 

HAHA right?!  I was thinking the same, not many Canadians around these parts 😉

DreamLoss reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Absolutely there is. That’s part of being a fan.

But, it’s a unique opportunity. 15th pick, made the Canadian World Junior team, and has two years of college under his belt.

I’m assuming that’s why me and others want him wearing maroon and gold. Especially since the roster looks deep on paper but might (key word might) lack a couple pure scorers. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Posted by: @wilson34

Posted by: @goldy77

There’s a reason I mentioned Kurth. If there isn’t anymore portal adds or unforeseen signings, would we all still take Wood if he wants to come here? I think we all answer yes to that.

So with that said, logically looking at the forward group for the upcoming season something would have to give. Kurth would be low on the priority list in my opinion.

There’s a role for him but it just might not be the role he wants. And as I said in a previous post if that results in him transferring then so be it. Again, that’s my opinion and someone else could see another player in that scenario over Kurth.

If we’re talking next year Kurth is higher on the depth chart than Pahlsson/Hendrickson

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 224

Seemed like the rumors of Wood to Minnesota cooled right around the same time Snuggerud confirmed he was coming back. Hope the gophers get him but it also wouldn’t surprise me if another first round right-shot goal scoring winger doesn’t want to or isn’t being advised to go to a team that already has Jimmy Snuggerud. 

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1222

The fact of the matter is that Nevers regressed this season, going from 23 points as a junior to 15 as a senior, and while I'm all for the need of a vocal leader, that only carries you so far. 

It would be interesting to compare Nevers' stats fr before the break to after the break. 

It appears a lot of people here have conveniently forgotten that Nevers suffered a concussion against Bemidji, and it was widely discussed by many on this forum that he may not have been 100% for the first half of the season.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7317
Post on old board: 10120

Don’t all guys over inflate the value of wood…?

😁

NoCoastNirvana, trixR4kids, HandyNotDan and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Old Section 8
(@old-section-8)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 27

value, or ...???? Smile  

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
DreamLoss
(@dreamloss)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

Seemed like the rumors of Wood to Minnesota cooled right around the same time Snuggerud confirmed he was coming back. Hope the gophers get him but it also wouldn’t surprise me if another first round right-shot goal scoring winger doesn’t want to or isn’t being advised to go to a team that already has Jimmy Snuggerud. 

That's a good point and the two decisions may very well be connected. In some of the highlights I watched I noticed that UConn put Wood in the same Ovi spot on the power play where Snuggerud plays so maybe that's a factor (albeit a small one). But hey, there is no issue with having two strong PP units. 

ReplyQuote
DreamLoss
(@dreamloss)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @mnnavy

The fact of the matter is that Nevers regressed this season, going from 23 points as a junior to 15 as a senior, and while I'm all for the need of a vocal leader, that only carries you so far.

It would be interesting to compare Nevers' stats fr before the break to after the break. 

It appears a lot of people here have conveniently forgotten that Nevers suffered a concussion against Bemidji, and it was widely discussed by many on this forum that he may not have been 100% for the first half of the season.

Just looked and Nevers had 5 points in 14 games (.36 PPG) before the holiday break and 10 points in 20 games (.5 PPG) after the break, with a nice 6pt run over 5 games between 2/10 & 3/8. So, some improvement the second half but not a ton. And I didn't forgot about the early season concussion and remember thinking that we needed to give him the benefit of the doubt post the injury, I just didn't see enough from him overall to necessarily warrant a definite spot on next year's team. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12643
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Nevers is never going to light up the scoreboard. If you are going to judge players strictly on points, then you will always be disappointed with a lot of players each year.  Nevers value is on the PK and as a leader in the locker room. He was a +16 last year on the shutdown line. Being that much of a plus player and scoring that few of points is pretty remarkable.  I have no problem with him coming back and slotting in on the 4th line or 13th forward as a PK specialist.  tBob trusts him and having him as a reliable player on the 4th line should satisfy some of the critics of this years 4th line.  

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

HandyNotDan, bearpaw28, Rau4SkiUMah and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @mnnavy

Just looked and Nevers had 5 points in 14 games (.36 PPG) before the holiday break and 10 points in 20 games (.5 PPG) after the break, with a nice 6pt run over 5 games between 2/10 & 3/8. So, some improvement the second half but not a ton. And I didn't forgot about the early season concussion and remember thinking that we needed to give him the benefit of the doubt post the injury, I just didn't see enough from him overall to necessarily warrant a definite spot on next year's team. 

Gotta remember he had two goals taken away from him by questionable goalie interference calls😉. One was a huge one late in Madison that would’ve gotten us the sweep. 

ReplyQuote
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 90

@handyman I'm hoping for him he signs with the Gophs simply for the line name assuming he gets paired 11& 81

Moore  - wood - jimmy

or

jimmy - moore - wood

etc.

ReplyQuote

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5335
Post on old board: 15786

I would be more interested to see what number Wood would take IF (BIG IF) he would come to MN... He is #71 and so is Chesley, so he wouldn't get that number. 

Smile

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1117

I see no reason why Wood and Snuggerud cannot coexist, even with some similarities in their toolkits. Both will get ample ice time and power play opportunities. It is just about finding linemates who complement their skillset.

If Snuggerud returning is what leads Wood elsewhere, however, it is a tradeoff I would make every time. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Nevers is never going to light up the scoreboard. If you are going to judge players strictly on points, then you will always be disappointed with a lot of players each year.  Nevers value is on the PK and as a leader in the locker room. He was a +16 last year on the shutdown line. Being that much of a plus player and scoring that few of points is pretty remarkable.  I have no problem with him coming back and slotting in on the 4th line or 13th forward as a PK specialist.  tBob trusts him and having him as a reliable player on the 4th line should satisfy some of the critics of this years 4th line.  

Nevers stepped up his play in the second half. I’d welcome him back in that role. 

blockhead reacted
ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

A few points:

I have always understood this. But my point was, NCAA was forced into the NIL situation they are in now.  They are forced to accept that the players are essentially employees (albeit, a lot of these 'employees' don't result in net income for the school). Combined with the portal, NIL is making a mess of college ('amateur') sports. I am guessing that in some cases, players are choosing to switch schools when they might be able to get a full scholarship instead of partial. And obviously some schools will have an advantage with NIL. Having more scholarships available might mitigate a few of the transfers and show NCAA is accepting the decision.  Of course as one person pointed out, there is a big economic reason not to do this, since increasing scholarships for the couple money-making sports will also mean increases for athletes in non-money making sports, which I am guessing is the case for just about all women's sports (other than Iowa bball) as well as most all men's sports.

If they increased the number of scholarships some programs would fold.  There are plenty that can barely manage with what we have.  Adding more will exasperate a much worse problem...

And do not call the players employees because they are not, and it is set up that way for a reason.  If they were employees a lot of these problems would be dead tomorrow.  Of course the sport would likely die a slow agonizing death, but at least for a few years all sports would be way less chaotic.  Honestly, I think Football would be the only sport of the money sports to make it out unscathed.

(don't take this as harsh...I get what you are saying just making a point that the players and fans would be better off if they were in fact employees...at least in the short term)

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

😁

See now this is more of what I expect around here! 😉

Don't get me wrong, I have zero issue with him coming here if he does, but the way some of you are acting you would think we are talking about Thomas Vanek.  I get the guy has the intangibles, but he is a point per game player which doesn't scream "That guy will change the outlook of the season"!!  I get UCONN is not very good but if he is a game changing player they would have been better than they were.  Plus he disappeared against a lot of the top teams if you look at the stat sheet.  From 2/4-22 he had 2 points in 6 games.  Hell he only had like 16 after the New Year.  I am sure there is a reason, but again nothing I see says this is the difference between the Frozen Four and missing out.  And I always question stats out of the BCHL because that league has been notorious for decades for being the Big XII of junior hockey. (no defense which pads offensive stats)

Again I will welcome him with open arms next year if he wants to come here but we aren't exactly talking Dany Heatly here.

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

😁

Don't get me wrong, I have zero issue with him coming here if he does, but the way some of you are acting you would think we are talking about Thomas Vanek.  I get the guy has the intangibles, but he is a point per game player which doesn't scream "That guy will change the outlook of the season"!!  I get UCONN is not very good but if he is a game changing player they would have been better than they were.  Plus he disappeared against a lot of the top teams if you look at the stat sheet.  From 2/4-22 he had 2 points in 6 games.  Hell he only had like 16 after the New Year.  I am sure there is a reason, but again nothing I see says this is the difference between the Frozen Four and missing out.  And I always question stats out of the BCHL because that league has been notorious for decades for being the Big XII of junior hockey. (no defense which pads offensive stats)

Again I will welcome him with open arms next year if he wants to come here but we aren't exactly talking Dany Heatly here.

No one is comparing him to Heatly or Vanek. We’re simply looking at a talent who’s 6’4 and went 15th overall in the 2023 NHL draft. You can talk about him disappearing, but isn’t that what Snuggerud did the later half of the season? Think we are all glad he’s back.

For a team that lacked scoring this season, especially down the stretch, it would seem like a no brainer to add this guy. There’s a reason North Dakota and virtually every Big Ten team want this guy.

ReplyQuote
Celsior
(@celsior)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 74

I don't get the talk about Nevers being a fourth liner next season. He has been a solid contributor to the second line for the past two years. Sure he didn't have a lot of goals last season but he Brodz and Nelly with him to put the puck in the net.

I'd be happy to see him back next year and wouldn't expect him to be relegated to a fourth line role.

ReplyQuote

Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 399

😁

The kid will be one of the best players on the Canada WJC team next year. I think you're massively underrating him by just looking at his UConn stats. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @celsior

I don't get the talk about Nevers being a fourth liner next season. He has been a solid contributor to the second line for the past two years. Sure he didn't have a lot of goals last season but he Brodz and Nelly with him to put the puck in the net.

I'd be happy to see him back next year and wouldn't expect him to be relegated to a fourth line role.

Who do you send down to the 4th line then? Kurth? Ziemer? Not a chance

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

😁

It’s more the fact that he’s a high end player that would compliment Snuggy and Moore (or any line) well with his skill set. I don’t think anyone thinks he’s Vanek 😂 

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Kurth, Huglen, Pitlick, Lamb all took a jump in production.  Expect the same from Moore and Rinzel.

Anticipate Snuggy stays flat. The reason I am clicking the internet checking on Wood updates isn’t because he is Vanek.  

Rather that we are currently banking on Freshman to replace the production of Nelson and Brodzinski (who proved me wrong).  Would feel confident this team can take a step up with Wood and the Freshman.  Knowing that the BIG will keep reloading and we won’t steal as many games with goaltending.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1242
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @boninthebear

Kurth, Huglen, Pitlick, Lamb all took a jump in production.  Expect the same from Moore and Rinzel.

Anticipate Snuggy stays flat. The reason I am clicking the internet checking on Wood updates isn’t because he is Vanek.  

Rather that we are currently banking on Freshman to replace the production of Nelson and Brodzinski (who proved me wrong).  Would feel confident this team can take a step up with Wood and the Freshman.  Knowing that the BIG will keep reloading and we won’t steal as many games with goaltending.

If Snuggy doesn’t take a HUGE step forward in scoring next session, St Louis might ? selecting him in the 1st round. Moore can skate like the wind, but (hands & finishing ability) he is a shell of the player Cooley was as a freshman. Huglen & Pitlick need to take big steps forward next year too. Lamb will be better, Kurth’s first two years haven’t been impressive, Rinzel will be a stud next year & Luke M. is a good college level offensive D. If they get legitimate goaltending & pick up Wood they have a chance to be better than they were this season. 

Potatopirate reacted
ReplyQuote
puckluck
(@puckluck)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 36

Whether they get Wood or not we have a nice group of forwards.

Make up a freshman line of Hendrickson, Ziemer and Pahlson to start the year.  You can consider them our “4th line” if you want but Bob rolls all lines so put them together and let them play their way up.  That way you give the upper classman players like Kurth Lamb and Clark (Nevers if he comes back) the chance to secure those roles.  Should drive competition and allow the freshman to settle in and earn more

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

To piggyback on a couple of the previous posts.

For me, Snuggy really needs to comeback with a focus on defense. His +/- is not acceptable for an elite scorer. Offensively, if he can get to 25 goals and 45 points, I would be happy with that. Also, he has lead the team in PIM the last 2 years. Those foolish 5's need to stop.

If Huglen has a SR season like the Farm Kid, that would be great. I don't expect 19 goals like Nelson, but maybe a 15 goal and 30 point season seems reasonable. But foremost, he needs to get back to the center that takes and wins the draw in crucial situations. He was really good 2 years ago, and it dipped last year. He will be the anchor of the PK next year. 

Pitlick needs to stop being the turnover machine. There is never any question about his hustle, but he tries the backward passes too many times. A 20+ goal, 45+ points would be satisfactory for me. Although he only had 14 PIM, he had a couple of dumb ones at bad times.

Moore, Kurth, Lamb and Clark really need to continue to improve next year. Rinzel needs to continue to improve his defense, but his offense is fine. 

I think our defensive corps will be better by the addition of Gruba ( maybe Whipple ) and the fact the unit will be a year older.  I wonder who of the combo of Fish, Rud and Begley will be here in October and if Yakesh still comes or will go elsewhere. 

Goaltending is my biggest concern. But I trust Bob will figure it out.

The future is still bright..

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

wincav reacted
ReplyQuote

Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 286

https://twitter.com/mikegrinnell_/status/1777015581079753105?s=46

I know some have wondered if we now have scholarships available for Wood. IMO if Bob feels he can improve this team, you figure out how to get him $$. I think you take the risk of upsetting some if he is as talented as some claim. BC, BU, MI and others wouldn’t hesitate to figure it out. 

ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

https://twitter.com/mikemcmahonchn/status/1777039291417338161?s=46

i guess it got figured out!  BOOM!!!

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1117

Fantastic news! 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Let’s gooo

ReplyQuote
Any Road
(@any-road)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 444

In bob we trust.

trixR4kids and Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Young gopher diehard 2
(@younggopherdiehard2)
Wooger Level

Now I am curious if Nevers is back or not. If he’s back, we are likely at 14 forwards.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Wheelers take--

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1777046455435301237

ReplyQuote

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2003

What's going on? Did Bob get Wood today?

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 16