677 Reactions
28.3 K Views
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @jaykay3

I wouldn't be overly eager to let Nevers move on after just seeing Nelson and Brodzinski carry the team at the end of the year. He's not the same player but those guys with experience are valuable. 

He’d be perfectly fine as a fourth liner.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 510

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @bertogliat

Do we still have a scholarship limit?  

18 full scholarship equivalents. As usual, some of those will likely be split amongst multiple players.

I never realized this.  Wonder how often this creates issues?  Anyone have any insight into how our 18 are spread out across the 25?

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2131
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @chris-eckes

I've seen a good handful of posts in this thread mentioning Kurth as a guy that Bob should consider moving on from / bringing in other guys to challenge him for ice time... are you guys watching the games at all? Kurth is one of the only players on the team that is effective on the forecheck / winning puck battles on the boards. He does so many little things without the puck well. I have to believe the analytics suggest he is a winning player.

I'd honestly rather move on from Pitlick, and I really like Pitlick. I think Kurth is a HUGE factor in Minnesota's success and is a key player to connect shifts / gain momentum.

There are two Pitlicks: One that produces heart-stopping speed and flashy plays and one that is out of position at key moments when the puck ends up in their net. He went sideways for long stretches this season and played his most mediocre hockey when it mattered most -- but, he is such a dynamic player that losing him would feel like a huge loss. 

Kurth may feel less impactful, but I agree with you. He is hard on pucks and battles in all three zones. Like Nevers, he doesn't cheat. He brought his best game during the NCAAs while Pitlick virtually disappeared.

The problem with Pitlick is that he doesn't really help his linemates out. Coach has to balance the fact that Pitlick can create offense almost instantly by himself, with the fact that he's likely to damper the production of anyone he plays with. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

Posted by: @j22

I've seen a good handful of posts in this thread mentioning Kurth as a guy that Bob should consider moving on from / bringing in other guys to challenge him for ice time... are you guys watching the games at all? Kurth is one of the only players on the team that is effective on the forecheck / winning puck battles on the boards. He does so many little things without the puck well. I have to believe the analytics suggest he is a winning player.

I'd honestly rather move on from Pitlick, and I really like Pitlick. I think Kurth is a HUGE factor in Minnesota's success and is a key player to connect shifts / gain momentum.

There are two Pitlicks: One that produces heart-stopping speed and flashy plays and one that is out of position at key moments when the puck ends up in their net. He went sideways for long stretches this season and played his most mediocre hockey when it mattered most -- but, he is such a dynamic player that losing him would feel like a huge loss. 

Kurth may feel less impactful, but I agree with you. He is hard on pucks and battles in all three zones. Like Nevers, he doesn't cheat. He brought his best game during the NCAAs while Pitlick virtually disappeared.

The problem with Pitlick is that he doesn't really help his linemates out. Coach has to balance the fact that Pitlick can create offense almost instantly by himself, with the fact that he's likely to damper the production of anyone he plays with. 

Help me understand this logic that he doesn't help his linemates?  He was 4th on the team in assists (3rd F) and tied for the best PPG average on the team.  I think he was productive when he decided to play.  From where I sit, the inconsistent effort, lazy passes and back checking was the problem.  He goes through stretches where he's way too casual with his play.

ReplyQuote
MooreWood
(@feisty-golden-rodents)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 34

I'm ready for Wood to commit !

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2469

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

Posted by: @j22

Help me understand this logic that he doesn't help his linemates?  He was 4th on the team in assists (3rd F) and tied for the best PPG average on the team.  I think he was productive when he decided to play.  From where I sit, the inconsistent effort, lazy passes and back checking was the problem.  He goes through stretches where he's way too casual with his play.

i would say he can at times be turnover prone, not hard on the forecheck to create opportunities, flies the zone early for stretch passes (removing outlet passes), and kind of floats at times. That said, I still lik ehis game and would in no way want to see him move on. Just have to be smart about who he plays with (I like him much better with 2 responsible players in Huglen/Lamb than I did with Moore who was too small and Snuggy who has his own defensive liabilities). 

wincav and Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4260
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @driftryder

There is no roster size limit, but you can't have 40 players on one sheet of ice for practice.  Do we still have a scholarship limit?  

In either case, tell the players the expected pecking order and chance for playing time and let the players decide if they want to stick around.  I trust Bob understands the importance of his current players and can explain to them why they may lose ice time next year.

Yes, I believe it is 18.

Then I think this makes it easier.  You could always say you're welcome to stay for year 5 but I have to allocate scholarships to the 1-4 year players.  It has to be hard to accommodate 5th year players with the same number of scholarships.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7713

I feel like Snuggy returning is all the “additions” we needed. No I’m not going full “we don’t want Wood” mode but I don’t think it’s as make or break as it was before the Snuggy news. Wood would likely push a guy like John Mitts out of of lineup which is a small price to pay for a good 1st rounder I get that, but it’s still not ideal.

HandyNotDan reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Also a lot of faith should be put into these freshmen coming in. Ziemer, Pahlsson and Hendrickson can all really play with Falloon not too far behind them.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
The Name On The Front
(@thenameonthefront)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 102

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

I feel like Snuggy returning is all the “additions” we needed. No I’m not going full “we don’t want Wood” mode but I don’t think it’s as make or break as it was before the Snuggy news. Wood would likely push a guy like John Mitts out of of lineup which is a small price to pay for a good 1st rounder I get that, but it’s still not ideal.

I firmly believe the addition of Wood (assuming most players expected back are back) takes us from solid NCAA tournament team to a top three or four title contender for next year. I really hope we land him.

Edit: from a skaters perspective. Still gotta figure out another goalie.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5390

Strauss Mann must have some eligibility left, right?

Sunbone and YoungEagle reacted
ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @thenameonthefront

I firmly believe the addition of Wood (assuming most players expected back are back) takes us from solid NCAA tournament team to a top three or four title contender for next year. I really hope we land him.

I like the positive view.  I do think it's a little early to presume that would make us a FF favorite, but I think it would put us back at/near the top of the B1G.  Hard to say what other teams will look like especially the 4 teams currently still playing that are all fairly young and talented teams. I want to see what the goalie situation looks like, and I still think someone other than Rinzel needs to emerge as a productive scorer on the D-line. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @thenameonthefront

I like the positive view.  I do think it's a little early to presume that would make us a FF favorite, but I think it would put us back at/near the top of the B1G.  Hard to say what other teams will look like especially the 4 teams currently still playing that are all fairly young and talented teams. I want to see what the goalie situation looks like, and I still think someone other than Rinzel needs to emerge as a productive scorer on the D-line. 

I'd like to introduce you to Leo Gruba.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574743/leo-gruba

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12917
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Strobel in the portal

Best of luck to Charlie.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1163

A remaking of the fourth line. Wish him well.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Clearing room for someone?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Strobel in the portal

Best of luck to Charlie.

I thought he played well but never got increased minutes.  Too bad.

wincav, trixR4kids, Driftryder and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Strobel in the portal

Best of luck to Charlie.

I thought he played well but never got increased minutes.  Too bad.

I was just going to comment similarly.  Liked his gritty nature, he seemed hungry in the corners. He never really got a lot of time on ice.  Maybe just odd man out? 

wincav and Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2375

I always liked Strobel’s game. He will be missed but I get the desire to see more ice time somewhere else. I appreciated Pino’s effort and good attitude. We saw improvement from last year to this season but it just quite wasn’t enough. Seemed like almost a confidence issue. I hope gets a fresh start somewhere else. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692

This does seem like they might be making room for a transfer? Or at least all the older players will return (Huglen, Pitlick)? I guess time will tell.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

This does seem like they might be making room for a transfer? Or at least all the older players will return (Huglen, Pitlick)? I guess time will tell.

I am hopeful this is the reason. I am also considering the reality both may just want a different/bigger opportunity. Time will tell.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The fact is that Strobel and Pino really were not going to have the opportunity to move up in the lineup. They were going to be stuck on the 4th line for the next 2 years, and most likely no special teams as well. I hope they both find a place where they have an opportunity to play more, like Garrett Wait did a few years ago. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 225

Maybe a sign Nevers is staying.

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Hendrickson- Pahlsson-Kurth

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

Not trying to predict lines but that seems like a solid top 9 with an upgraded 4th line. Might be hard for Clark to crack the top 9 again which is a good problem to have. Unless it’s Wood I’m fine without adding a portal forward. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

If we are +2 (4 incoming - 2 graduated) on Fowards seems like at minimum those two (Pino/Strobel) would go knowing they would at best be in same role.

ReplyQuote
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 433
Post on old board: 9527

So far only Pino and Strobel for transfers?

ReplyQuote
Mozzy
(@mozzy)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 360

I love the intrigue! I must have hit the refresh button 200 times by now.  I’m just glad that I’m not the guy making roster decisions, that’s got to be a hard thing to do!

ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 101

My first comment. Thanks for accepting me to the group! I've been following the portal this year. I never actually Googled to find a resource that lists the names. Since I found it the other day, I can't stop looking at it to see the updates. And two Gophers have popped up in this time. Thankfully they aren't a part of the core. Hopefully we don't lose anyone unexpected to the portal. Does anyone here anticipate any more Gophers adding their names to the list?

upnorthkid, Driftryder, Delafield Gopher and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 101

I know their is a lot of talk about our Gophers being on Wood's short list to transfer to. I'd love to see that. Here are the other names from the portal that I'd like to see the Gophers pull in. Any rumors on where these guys might go? Or do you know of anyone other than Wood that has been getting recruited by Minnesota?

Scarfone G RIT (Seems to have the best goalie stats in the portal)
Pohlkamp F Bemidji St
Whitelaw F Wisconsin
Engum D UMass Lowell (I'm only interested in him because I'm currently a grad student at Lowell and I've gone to some games. Engum is one of their handful of Minnesota guys)

ReplyQuote

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Pohlkamp is going to Denver. Would not expect the others to be Gophers, though portal season can hold surprises. 

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

@jaymedinc It sounds like Whitelaw may come with some baggage according to some on here.

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

Posted by: @go4birdvowel

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

Not trying to predict lines but that seems like a solid top 9 with an upgraded 4th line. Might be hard for Clark to crack the top 9 again which is a good problem to have. Unless it’s Wood I’m fine without adding a portal forward. 

This is where I'm at. Wood is really the only forward you need to make room for. If he comes in and that causes someone else to transfer or be pushed out so be it. Right now there's been four forwards out and four in so they're in good shape. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

This is where I'm at. Wood is really the only forward you need to make room for. If he comes in and that causes someone else to transfer or be pushed out so be it. Right now there's been four forwards out and four in so they're in good shape. 

I would agree.  If I had my way I'd grab Wood, throw him on the top line with Moore and Snuggy and let Michel go.

ReplyQuote
Buster
(@buster)
Rep Pts: 3

Badger fans on USCHO stating Kukkonen is heading to Madison. Wondering if that's been confirmed. Following up-to-the-minute twitter reports isn't really in my wheelhouse.

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @buster

Badger fans on USCHO stating Kukkonen is heading to Madison. Wondering if that's been confirmed. Following up-to-the-minute twitter reports isn't really in my wheelhouse.

Yes he was confirmed going to Wisco.

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 225

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

I would agree.  If I had my way I'd grab Wood, throw him on the top line with Moore and Snuggy and let Michel go.

Maybe Michel does go but he’s just a walk on/practice player doesn’t really free up any scholarship for Wood.

ReplyQuote

stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

Maybe Michel does go but he’s just a walk on/practice player doesn’t really free up any scholarship for Wood.

I guess that depends on whether all the scholarships are currently used up? If so I agree that probably still means you lose someone like J Mitts

ReplyQuote
MooreWood
(@feisty-golden-rodents)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 34

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

I guess that depends on whether all the scholarships are currently used up? If so I agree that probably still means you lose someone like J Mitts

I don't believe Kurth finds his way out of the top 9 with or without Wood.   Probably rotate between top 4-9 (2nd and 3rd line).  I dont know what to expect out of Pahlsson and Hendrickson.  I think people are hoping they come in to compete for rookie of the year award.  I think their realistic expectation is to get to that 10 goal marker and 20 points for season.   They will be nice players.  Kurth finished 5th in scoring his in USHL(21-22 season).  1.31 points per game.    Currently Pahlsson 1.25 pt/g and Hendrickson 1.04 pt/g.  Its not a apples to apples comparison but it base line for expectations.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

I think Kurth is an ideal fit on a third line with upward mobility if his game continues to mature. As mentioned above, he was a big scorer in the USHL. It doesn't always translate but I would not be surprised if there was a big leap in year three.

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @feisty-golden-rodents

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

I don't believe Kurth finds his way out of the top 9 with or without Wood.   Probably rotate between top 4-9 (2nd and 3rd line).  I dont know what to expect out of Pahlsson and Hendrickson.  I think people are hoping they come in to compete for rookie of the year award.  I think their realistic expectation is to get to that 10 goal marker and 20 points for season.   They will be nice players.  Kurth finished 5th in scoring his in USHL(21-22 season).  1.31 points per game.    Currently Pahlsson 1.25 pt/g and Hendrickson 1.04 pt/g.  Its not a apples to apples comparison but it base line for expectations.

There can always be surprises in both directions, but 10g's as a Freshman is a fairly decent barometer to identify future impact players.  Take Moore for example.  9g's/24 apples.  I think he had a great season for a freshman.  Success and struggles, but overall, a solid effort.  It's hard sometimes to come back to earth when you had Knies/Cooley/Snuggy together and then you see the ridiculous BC class this year.  I think if we hit on one or two of those incoming F's very likely they could have a similar result to what Moore did if paired with vets.  I still go back to the belief we must have an impact D man come in (hopefully Gruba) and maybe a goalie from this offseason to give us a chance at being an elite team, I'm less worried about needing a 15-20g freshman.  

From hearing others' opinions and reading up on a few of the incoming, this may not be a class ripe with top end (1st round) talent, but it's a very deep class one tier down from that.  Plenty of reason for optimism we'll get good contributions overall. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

The 10Gs as a freshman may be a little aggressive based on what role you think these guys are walking into. I don't really see them all being on the PP (especially if you land Wood). Gophers to do that in the last 10 years (with some highlights of recent players as well as some guys who went on to score reasonably well for us in the future). Goals listed first and then points after. 

2023: none, Moore closest at 9. Moore 33pts, Rinzel 28pts. 

2022: Cooley 22G, Snuggy 21G. Cooley 60pts, Snuggy 50pts. L Mitts 21 pts. 

2021: Knies 15G; Chaz Lucius had 9, Huglen 7, Rhett Pitlick 5, Tristan Broz 6. Knies 33pts. No one else got to 20. 

2020: none. Koster, Faber, Nevers

2019: Meyers 10G; Meyers 26 points. Lacombe, Brodzinski, Nelson, and Sorenson all on this team as well

2018: Walker 10G; Walker with 26 points, McLaughlin 20. Ranta and some others all on this team as well.

2017: Mittelstadt 11G;  Mittelstadt with 30pts. Reedy and McManus didn't get there.

2016: Rem Pitlick 14G. Pitlick with 31 points. 

2015: Sheehy 12G; Sheehy with 30 pts, Novak 27pts. Gates didn't get there.

2014: none; Bristedt had 5G. none, Bristedt with 19 points. 

My point with all of this is we get too married to "production" in terms of goals/points when so much of that will be impacted by player role and opportunity (as well as how much the whole team is scoring). This team coming back especially should not need huge production numbers from the freshman unless some of the top guys go backwards instead of forwards (currently 36G leaving with Nevers 3 and Kosters 2 pending). Lots of guys don't even get close to this threshold and go on to be high impact players/4 year strong contributors. Freshman year is exceedingly challenging and it's why you only see the top end guys who also get ample opportunity hitting these levels. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @upnorthkid

The 10Gs as a freshman may be a little aggressive based on what role you think these guys are walking into. I don't really see them all being on the PP (especially if you land Wood). Gophers to do that in the last 10 years (with some highlights of recent players as well as some guys who went on to score reasonably well for us in the future). Goals listed first and then points after. 

2023: none, Moore closest at 9. Moore 33pts, Rinzel 28pts. 

2022: Cooley 22G, Snuggy 21G. Cooley 60pts, Snuggy 50pts. L Mitts 21 pts. 

2021: Knies 15G; Chaz Lucius had 9, Huglen 7, Rhett Pitlick 5, Tristan Broz 6. Knies 33pts. No one else got to 20. 

2020: none. Koster, Faber, Nevers

2019: Meyers 10G; Meyers 26 points. Lacombe, Brodzinski, Nelson, and Sorenson all on this team as well

2018: Walker 10G; Walker with 26 points, McLaughlin 20. Ranta and some others all on this team as well.

2017: Mittelstadt 11G;  Mittelstadt with 30pts. Reedy and McManus didn't get there.

2016: Rem Pitlick 14G. Pitlick with 31 points. 

2015: Sheehy 12G; Sheehy with 30 pts, Novak 27pts. Gates didn't get there.

2014: none; Bristedt had 5G. none, Bristedt with 19 points. 

My point with all of this is we get too married to "production" in terms of goals/points when so much of that will be impacted by player role and opportunity (as well as how much the whole team is scoring). This team coming back especially should not need huge production numbers from the freshman unless some of the top guys go backwards instead of forwards (currently 36G leaving with Nevers 3 and Kosters 2 pending). Lots of guys don't even get close to this threshold and go on to be high impact players/4 year strong contributors. Freshman year is exceedingly challenging and it's why you only see the top end guys who also get ample opportunity hitting these levels. 

I don't disagree with any of that.  My point was simply that if you get close to 10g effort from a freshman that is a pretty strong sign they will be impactful.  Check my accuracy, but interestingly, many of those players were not 1st rounders.

Cooley, Snuggy, Lucius, Mitts 1st round

Knies 2nd, Meyers undrafted, Walker 7th, Rem 7th, Sheehy undrafted

upnorthkid reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

J mitts ain’t going anywhere

ReplyQuote

stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud

Lamb-Huglen-Ziemer

Nevers-Clark-Falloon

Mittelstadt-Michel

J mitts ain’t going anywhere

Who do you think gets bumped if Wood decides to join then?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@stateofhockey78  I would guess Michel leaves. He is probably a zero scholly guy, so he could stay as a 15th body if he wants.  In the lineup, I would guess Falloon is the player who will have to rotate in with others. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

@stateofhockey78  I would guess Michel leaves. He is probably a zero scholly guy, so he could stay as a 15th body if he wants.  In the lineup, I would guess Falloon is the player who will have to rotate in with others. 

I think one of the questions that was being asked was, if Wood does come, is there a scholarship issue or is there room to give him a scholarship without an impact to the other players.  I'm not sure how all that works myself.

ReplyQuote
wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 245

Posted by: @wilson34

Posted by: @wilson34

Kukkonen in the portal. Want it known that I predicted him to Minnesota back in September. Half way there.

Not sure if we have room. Might be the fallback if Wood doesn’t work out.

They have room. Don’t offer Nevers a 5th year…unless Bob sees his leadership so valuable. Bring two forwards in and challenge a player like Kurth for minutes. Competition is good. Create the best top 9 you can.

I think Nevers is back if he wants to come back. As you said for his leadership alone, especially after what Bob said about him during the regional when he took over the locker room.  Also, need to remember his brother is coming and you don't want to burn that bridge by telling Mason he isn't welcomed back. Mason may not have the same role and on the 4th line, but he is someone who will play wherever the coach wants him. 

I’m not even thinking about Mason’s brother if I’m Bob. It’s a future recruit down the road.  Unless he is the second coming of Jesus who cares. Bob’s sole responsibility is to put a championship caliber team on the ice for 2024-25.

Would be hard to pass on two quality forwards. Doesn’t necessarily have to be Wood or Kukkonen. There are players of similar ilk in the portal. Definitely tough decisions for Bob, but that’s why he gets paid the big bucks!

Hate to go all Herb Brooks on you but sometimes it’s the right players not the best players. I believe I had this exact discussion when people wanted Swankler out of the portal last fall. I don’t think grabbing the shiniest toy is always the right move in this case. With that being said I am fully on board with Wood and/or Kukkonen, I just think Nevers is more valuable to this team than people realize. Culture carrier.

Just like the '87 Minnesota Twins. Chemistry was everything.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5390

That, and a playing surface they were used to that everyone else struggled with.

Oh, and don’t forget the air conditioning vents! 😉 

JAYMEDINC reacted
ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7944

If only 4 forwards leave (Nelson, Brodzinski, Pino and Strobel) I suspect bringing in Wood along with the 4 freshmen forwards (Hendrickson, Ziemer, Pahlsson, and Falloon) is likely an issue scholarship wise especially since Strobel probably wasn't getting a lot of scholarship.

Plus with Gruba and maybe Whipple being added on defensemen and as of yet nobody leaving on defense there is certainly a scholarship crunch right now.

I wonder if Snuggy staying will end up resulting in Wood going elsewhere.

Obviously as fans we want the most talented guys on the team but there is only 18 scholarships to go around.

Having these recruits play for 2-4 years could be more valuable then risk losing 1 or 2 of them to bring in a portal player for one year.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

I think one of the questions that was being asked was, if Wood does come, is there a scholarship issue or is there room to give him a scholarship without an impact to the other players.  I'm not sure how all that works myself.

you have 18 scholarships you can split however you want. There is no "roster limit" in that you can have as many guys on the team as you want. Last year we had this many "skaters" who saw action:

13 forwards

8 defensemen

2 goalies

Definitely have to be split in some fashion last year. Given that, there's no way that we can know what % of scholarships (whether full or partial) would be left and this doesn't count guys like Wiese or Michel who did not see action and I would assume are not scholarship players. Also don't know at what point they "allot" these scholarships to players given they are not all enrolled at present. 

ReplyQuote

Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 361

A few points:

Don't know why some people are ready for Kurth to leave. I think he was one of more consistent players late season. Sure, not a big numbers guy, but was one of the better forecheckers at the end of the season.  (And while Pitlick did seem to taper off at end of season, I definitely would welcome him back.)

Some posters seem to think portal is driven by coaches suggesting to players they move on.  It seems likely that it is mostly player decision based on where they see themselves fitting than coaches suggesting to players they leave.

Wood sounds like a player worth finding room for, but I don't see value in adding a handful of players from portal regularily.  Develop a team based on players you develop, but just take advantage of portal options when huge improvement or have hole to fill.

The NIL decision came from the idea that college athletes are entitled to some of the money colleges are making off of them.  Then why is there still a limit on number of scholarships that is less than enough to field a full team? Will NCAA look at allowing more scholies in the future? Might alleviate a few of the issues with portal.

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 23