stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Wilkie and Pohlkamp are at UND today

He is out of the family if he goes there! 🤣 

Wood, Wilkie, and Pohlkamp would be a pretty big haul for them.  Not sure about ASU goalie being worth much, but I'm going solely off his numbers. 

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1344

Posted by: @g-manpuck

That is the big thing that I think a lot of us fans are having hard time dealing with is how much of this portal movement being driven by NIL money?  How much is recruitment being driven by NIL money?  It's just that mystery we are having problems understanding if it is having an affect or not.

The majority of the portal stuff in hockey isn't NIL focused at this point. There are only a few players in it and they seem to be spending it on the 1st/2nd rd types from what I can tell. I do think that it's going to be more significant down the line. The majority of the movement right now is kids with a fifth year of eligibility and can't come back to their school or kids who have performed at a high level in atlantic, ccha or independent and want a shot at a B10, NCHC or HE school. Or you have kids who haven't gotten the role they expected at their school or are getting the aid cut and want to find a new spot. It's definitely complicated!

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2446
Post on old board: 6782

homer simpson GIF

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 510

William Whitelaw in portal.  Thought he was very slippery when we played them.

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 415

Based on some comments yesterday, he doesn't sound like a good fit as a person.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7613
Post on old board: 18942

Hoping that a resurgence of involvement from the alumni will strongly influence more NIL funding for the program. Not even necessarily primarily from alumni but also because so many of them have strong local business ties. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7713

Posted by: @gophers_ingf

@rau4skiumah he followed yet another UND player on instagram, my bet is we are out. Hopefully not

Thats a lot to bet on one Instagram follow

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @bert

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Patiently waiting for the "Matthew Wood to the Gophers" tweet. Cmon, we need it!

he has now followed 5 UND players on IG

ReplyQuote
JB
 JB
(@jb)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 40

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

GPL rejoices. I kid, best of luck to you Pino!

puckluck reacted
ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1163

Best of luck to Pino. Hopefully he finds a better fit. 

trixR4kids, Steve MN, puckluck and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5390

Who are we thinking is the early favorite for scapegoat next season? Pino and Brodzinski both out. Dang. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Kukkonen in the portal. Want it known that I predicted him to Minnesota back in September. Half way there.

Not sure if we have room. Might be the fallback if Wood doesn’t work out.

GopherPete reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

That commercial he did for Tech that aired during the MSHSL Boys Hockey Tournament falls a little flat now. 

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Kukkonen in the portal. Want it known that I predicted him to Minnesota back in September. Half way there.

This didn’t age well.

https://twitter.com/mikemcmahonchn/status/1773821342812442853?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

definitely an interesting option if we can’t get Wood. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12917
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Wonder if Pino ends up at Augustana with Raboin.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1163

If this happens you get a virtual statue on GPL.

ReplyQuote
Celsior
(@celsior)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 74

I wonder if Pino is leaving because he felt unappreciated here. When he scored the first goal of the game against Ohio State--his only goal of the season, I believe--he wasn't named the heart of the game. The band director was!

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5435
Post on old board: 15786

I wonder if Close having more points was a factor? A few other forwards were outscored by Close too.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Am I reading his stats right that he had 18 goals his freshman year but dropped to 1 goal his sophomore year (28 games)?

Wonder what was going on there.  That's quite a drop.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Does Pino leaving do anything in terms of opening up spots for recruits/transfers or was everyone assuming a couple of transfers out already, even if we didn't know the names?

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @idontknow

Does Pino leaving do anything in terms of opening up spots for recruits/transfers or was everyone assuming a couple of transfers out already, even if we didn't know the names?

Gophers currently have 11 forwards -- This includes Michel and Nevers

Coming in-- 4 -- Pahlsson, Hendrickson, Falloon, Ziemer

The team usually carries with 14 or 15 forwards. That most likely means for every possible portal guy in, 1 guy must now exit. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Michel was a grad student last year... So he is out of eligibility... Correct?

Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jupiter

Bob said on one of his coaches shows that he was a "possible" guy that could come back. 

Edit-- Just checked, He played 1 year at Huntsville, 2 at St Johns and 1 at Mn.  

But he would be the most likely next off the roster.

ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin

Posted by: @jupiter

Bob said on one of his coaches shows that he was a "possible" guy that could come back. 

Edit-- Just checked, He played 1 year at Huntsville, 2 at St Johns and 1 at Mn. 

But he would be the most likely next off the roster.

He was a body... I would doubt he is back.

Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Am I reading his stats right that he had 18 goals his freshman year but dropped to 1 goal his sophomore year (28 games)?

Injury

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1798

If Michel does leave he would leave as one of my favorite Gopher hockey stories ever.  As a fellow Johnnie its fascinating and very cool that he was able to play for my two favorite college teams in his career.  I would imagine even though his skill is meh.. his work ethic is off the charts.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

They have room. Don’t offer Nevers a 5th year…unless Bob sees his leadership so valuable. Bring two forwards in and challenge a player like Kurth for minutes. Competition is good. Create the best top 9 you can.

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 866
Post on old board: 5335

Michel could be back as a body. He's a walk in I'm sure so if he stays in school what's the harm of another practice body. He won't keep anyone from an actual scholarship spot.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @wilson34

They have room. Don’t offer Nevers a 5th year…unless Bob sees his leadership so valuable. Bring two forwards in and challenge a player like Kurth for minutes. Competition is good. Create the best top 9 you can.

I think Nevers is back if he wants to come back. As you said for his leadership alone, especially after what Bob said about him during the regional when he took over the locker room.  Also, need to remember his brother is coming and you don't want to burn that bridge by telling Mason he isn't welcomed back. Mason may not have the same role and on the 4th line, but he is someone who will play wherever the coach wants him. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

I think Nevers is back if he wants to come back. As you said for his leadership alone, especially after what Bob said about him during the regional when he took over the locker room.  Also, need to remember his brother is coming and you don't want to burn that bridge by telling Mason he isn't welcomed back. Mason may not have the same role and on the 4th line, but he is someone who will play wherever the coach wants him. 

I’m not even thinking about Mason’s brother if I’m Bob. It’s a future recruit down the road.  Unless he is the second coming of Jesus who cares. Bob’s sole responsibility is to put a championship caliber team on the ice for 2024-25.

Would be hard to pass on two quality forwards. Doesn’t necessarily have to be Wood or Kukkonen. There are players of similar ilk in the portal. Definitely tough decisions for Bob, but that’s why he gets paid the big bucks!

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Injury

From what I could tell the injury was in January and he still played 28 games...still seems like a dropoff.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Injury

From what I could tell the injury was in January and he still played 28 games...still seems like a dropoff.

Playing through injuries exists. You don’t just go from 18 goals to 1 goal with nothing hampering you. He didn’t just forget how to play hockey.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I’m not even thinking about Mason’s brother if I’m Bob. It’s a future recruit down the road.  Unless he is the second coming of Jesus who cares. Bob’s sole responsibility is to put a championship caliber team on the ice for 2024-25.

Would be hard to pass on two quality forwards. Doesn’t necessarily have to be Wood or Kukkonen. There are players of similar ilk in the portal. Definitely tough decisions for Bob, but that’s why he gets paid the big bucks!

Hate to go all Herb Brooks on you but sometimes it’s the right players not the best players. I believe I had this exact discussion when people wanted Swankler out of the portal last fall. I don’t think grabbing the shiniest toy is always the right move in this case. With that being said I am fully on board with Wood and/or Kukkonen, I just think Nevers is more valuable to this team than people realize. Culture carrier.

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

Hate to go all Herb Brooks on you but sometimes it’s the right players not the best players. I believe I had this exact discussion when people wanted Swankler out of the portal last fall. I don’t think grabbing the shiniest toy is always the right move in this case. With that being said I am fully on board with Wood and/or Kukkonen, I just think Nevers is more valuable to this team than people realize. Culture carrier.

It’s a balancing act for sure. If BC wins the national championship did they do it with the right players or the best players? Are they culture building?

I’m not about grabbing the shiny toy. I’m about getting to the frozen four and winning it. Hope Nevers isn’t the only one that can lead this team into the 2024-25 season.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@maroon_and_gold 100% agree with you and well said. Coaches also need to be careful on how they handle telling a player he needs to move on or doesn't have a spot. Word travels fast in the hockey world, and you don't want to get the reputation that your word isn't worth anything. Nevers is a legacy kid who's Dad played briefly (1 game) and has 1 brother coming in and another brother in the Edina system and has pull in the Edina community. You don't want to ruin that pipeline. If Mason goes to Bob and says, "if you can get a better player, I will step aside",  then ok, otherwise, like I said, he has a spot on this roster. 

I'm sure the conversation with Pino was difficult. But I'm sure both knew he needed a fresh start.  Bob has to have a few more of those soon, and even maybe one with Barto. 

ReplyQuote
Boats
(@boats)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 725

Nevers is also one of the best penalty killers on the team

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2446
Post on old board: 6782

Pino was the first player that came to my mind moving on when the season ended.  He just never cemented himself to a spot on the ice every game.  I wish him well at his next spot, he very well could break out with a new view.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

I've seen a good handful of posts in this thread mentioning Kurth as a guy that Bob should consider moving on from / bringing in other guys to challenge him for ice time... are you guys watching the games at all? Kurth is one of the only players on the team that is effective on the forecheck / winning puck battles on the boards. He does so many little things without the puck well. I have to believe the analytics suggest he is a winning player.

I'd honestly rather move on from Pitlick, and I really like Pitlick. I think Kurth is a HUGE factor in Minnesota's success and is a key player to connect shifts / gain momentum.

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

I wouldn't be overly eager to let Nevers move on after just seeing Nelson and Brodzinski carry the team at the end of the year. He's not the same player but those guys with experience are valuable. 

HandyNotDan and Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4916
Post on old board: 10695

I think Kurth and Nevers would both be great choices to keep around, for many of the reasons above.  Both are hard workers on both ends of the ice.  Superstar players?  Probably not.   Important (maybe critical) pieces on a team to fill needed roles?  Absolutely.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Discarding known commodities like Kurth and Nevers for players that might gel as well as Cruikshank sounds crazy to me. And before it is said again, my opinion has nothing to do with protecting people’s feelings. 

I’m not against using the portal. But there must be a middle between the above and never using it at all. 

Any Road, HandyNotDan, BlueBandit24 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2638
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @chris-eckes

I've seen a good handful of posts in this thread mentioning Kurth as a guy that Bob should consider moving on from / bringing in other guys to challenge him for ice time... are you guys watching the games at all? Kurth is one of the only players on the team that is effective on the forecheck / winning puck battles on the boards. He does so many little things without the puck well. I have to believe the analytics suggest he is a winning player.

I'd honestly rather move on from Pitlick, and I really like Pitlick. I think Kurth is a HUGE factor in Minnesota's success and is a key player to connect shifts / gain momentum.

There are two Pitlicks: One that produces heart-stopping speed and flashy plays and one that is out of position at key moments when the puck ends up in their net. He went sideways for long stretches this season and played his most mediocre hockey when it mattered most -- but, he is such a dynamic player that losing him would feel like a huge loss. 

Kurth may feel less impactful, but I agree with you. He is hard on pucks and battles in all three zones. Like Nevers, he doesn't cheat. He brought his best game during the NCAAs while Pitlick virtually disappeared.

ReplyQuote
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

@maroon_and_gold 100% agree with you and well said. Coaches also need to be careful on how they handle telling a player he needs to move on or doesn't have a spot. Word travels fast in the hockey world, and you don't want to get the reputation that your word isn't worth anything. Nevers is a legacy kid who's Dad played briefly (1 game) and has 1 brother coming in and another brother in the Edina system and has pull in the Edina community. You don't want to ruin that pipeline. If Mason goes to Bob and says, "if you can get a better player, I will step aside",  then ok, otherwise, like I said, he has a spot on this roster. 

I'm sure the conversation with Pino was difficult. But I'm sure both knew he needed a fresh start.  Bob has to have a few more of those soon, and even maybe one with Barto. 

You’re certainly within your right to put the Nevers family tree and the Edina community (a stretch by the way) above everything else.

I don’t know how you connect the dots of Bob’s “word isn’t worth anything” if a player isn’t back. Nevers played 4 years. He’s not obligated to offer a 5th year. Guess we just have different opinions on this matter.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4260
Post on old board: 12555

There is no roster size limit, but you can't have 40 players on one sheet of ice for practice.  Do we still have a scholarship limit?  

In either case, tell the players the expected pecking order and chance for playing time and let the players decide if they want to stick around.  I trust Bob understands the importance of his current players and can explain to them why they may lose ice time next year.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4916
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @bertogliat

Do we still have a scholarship limit?  

18 full scholarship equivalents. As usual, some of those will likely be split amongst multiple players.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

Posted by: @bertogliat

There is no roster size limit, but you can't have 40 players on one sheet of ice for practice.  Do we still have a scholarship limit?  

In either case, tell the players the expected pecking order and chance for playing time and let the players decide if they want to stick around.  I trust Bob understands the importance of his current players and can explain to them why they may lose ice time next year.

Yes, I believe it is 18.

ReplyQuote
NsHLScout
(@nshlscout)
Rep Pts: 2

Was excited over the idea of seeing Snuggerud take the leap as an NHL fan. As a Gophers fan, this is great news! I don't believe he pulls a Cooley, I think he got some heavy NIL money and if Wood comes, I suspect he gets the same. What a lethal pair that could be!

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

It’s hard to project next year’s forward roster when you don’t have a definitive answer on Huglen or Pitlick returning. I am cautiously optimistic they are both back.

I would welcome Nevers back, but in a 4th line and penalty killer role. 

With how much Bob plays his 4th line, it would be nice to see some real depth and talent down the lineup this upcoming season. 

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @nshlscout

Was excited over the idea of seeing Snuggerud take the leap as an NHL fan. As a Gophers fan, this is great news! I don't believe he pulls a Cooley, I think he got some heavy NIL money and if Wood comes, I suspect he gets the same. What a lethal pair that could be!

I agree, really hoping they get Wood. Regarding NIL, since he is a Canadian the NIL stuff gets murky I believe. Hopefully they find a way to entice him. 

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 23