28.3 K Views
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10937
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Posted by: @greyeagle

If I had one piece of advise for Snuggy it would be to start playing to his size.  I'm always surprised when I see he's 6'1/6'2 since he doesn't seem to pay like he's that big.   If he can expand his game, even just a little, he will have a huge year and a nice contract down the road.

Like he'd  ever ask me for advise... 🤣 

I just saw Snuggy post on social media "That after consulting with my family, advisors, and GPL I have decided to stay at the U where I will look to start playing to my size." 😲 

BTW, I agree with your thoughts. I believe that often time skilled players take longer to learn how to use their size because their skill is so alluring to them. 

Whoa….I’m psychotic!  😎

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
puckluck
(@puckluck)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 36

Eric Pohlkamp from Bemidji St into the portal.

Really liked his grit and heavy shot when watching him in the world juniors.

I’d love to see him join our D core.

doubt we’re looking for another D though given our returners and Gruba coming in.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4916
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @greyeagle

Whoa….I’m psychotic!  😎

Untitled

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Mozzy
(@mozzy)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 360

I’m happy for another year of Snuggy.  I’m optimistic that he will be a more complete player next season.  Really hoping we get Wood, any team would be excited to add a 30ish point a season guy into their lineup.  Excited to see how the roster shakes out before the season this fall.  Go Gophers!

gopherfun83 reacted
ReplyQuote
Johnny Five
(@johnny-five)
Rep Pts: 15

@puckluck Lotta scuttlebutt on the interwebs about Denver.

puckluck reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12917
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

For those who have access to the Athletic, here is a great article on how Snuggy came to his decision.

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/1775289296443834559

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2469

Posted by: @frozen4champs

For those who have access to the Athletic, here is a great article on how Snuggy came to his decision.

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/1775289296443834559

exceedingly good read and insightful. It’s free to read if you just register your email. Snuggy was very tough on himself in there but very honest. 

but yeah it’s one more year of Snuggy and he’s gone next year (Blues wanted him to sign and he wanted to come back to prove it to himself he could contribute all year; Faber played a big role is the takeaway bullet points)

ReplyQuote

stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 98

Posted by: @trixr4kids

I get he was no longer playing with Logan Cooley and Matthew Kneis so perhaps his scoring production is down because of that.

I think that explains a lot of what we saw, combined with the fact that he’s a bit one dimensional and needs to work on other parts of his game. Dude is like a more talented Brodzinski in that he has a great shot but doesn’t consistently create time and space for himself like an elite player (ie your typical high end center or the occasional Dman like Makar or Gostisbehere) and isn’t an elite passer or visionary. Obviously his skill in forechecking and puck retrieval needs work too, Knies did a lot of the heavy lifting in that area. 

This past year without either of them he just didn’t see as many opportunities and probably forced more shots because of it, and IIRC some of the interview with Motzko he was told to shoot more. Moore has a ton of upside but there were more growing pains for him than Cooley, his vision/passing just wasn’t as good and he was easier to defend. The third person on that line wasn’t realistically going to match Knies whether it was Lamb, Kurth, or whoever. 

Idk, I think too often ppl blame different results on effort when there’s often a simpler explanation. People here have probably played team sports and seen first hand the difference of losing a high end player and everything becoming more difficult. Also losing guys on the blue line meant breakouts weren’t as clean and they didn’t play with the same confidence and freedom when they got the puck into the offensive zone. Combine all these things and it not only explains his decreased production but the team’s as a whole.

Great insight.  It's so easy to overlook the value of having D that can break out of your zone efficiently and without turnovers.  Everything builds off quick transition in coach's scheme and nothing tires you out more than getting stuck in your own zone for 3/4 of your shift.  The best passing D-man I've ever seen at the college level is now playing for the Wild Smile  

trixR4kids and Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5435
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @bertogliat

It helps the Blue Blood or the schools that have deep pocket donors.  And even though it may be helping with Snuggerud this year, it hurt the U last year by convincing Eiserman decommit.

Eiserman had ZERO to do with NIL... The story will come out someday, but it certainly was not NIL.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

I guess we can all look forward to many Culvers sweeps next year. Honestly if 81 improves he has a decent shot for the Hobey. We all know the Gophers always reload, but this year they will be locked and loaded. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1775236481558131174

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

I get he was no longer playing with Logan Cooley and Matthew Kneis so perhaps his scoring production is down because of that.

I think that explains a lot of what we saw, combined with the fact that he’s a bit one dimensional and needs to work on other parts of his game. Dude is like a more talented Brodzinski in that he has a great shot but doesn’t consistently create time and space for himself like an elite player (ie your typical high end center or the occasional Dman like Makar or Gostisbehere) and isn’t an elite passer or visionary. Obviously his skill in forechecking and puck retrieval needs work too, Knies did a lot of the heavy lifting in that area. 

This past year without either of them he just didn’t see as many opportunities and probably forced more shots because of it, and IIRC some of the interview with Motzko he was told to shoot more. Moore has a ton of upside but there were more growing pains for him than Cooley, his vision/passing just wasn’t as good and he was easier to defend. The third person on that line wasn’t realistically going to match Knies whether it was Lamb, Kurth, or whoever. 

Idk, I think too often ppl blame different results on effort when there’s often a simpler explanation. People here have probably played team sports and seen first hand the difference of losing a high end player and everything becoming more difficult. Also losing guys on the blue line meant breakouts weren’t as clean and they didn’t play with the same confidence and freedom when they got the puck into the offensive zone. Combine all these things and it not only explains his decreased production but the team’s as a whole.

Great insight.  It's so easy to overlook the value of having D that can break out of your zone efficiently and without turnovers.  Everything builds off quick transition in coach's scheme and nothing tires you out more than getting stuck in your own zone for 3/4 of your shift.  The best passing D-man I've ever seen at the college level is now playing for the Wild Smile  

They need to set him up for way more designed plays 5 on 5 and one time blasts in the powerplay. 

ReplyQuote
Gopherr16
(@gopherr16)
Rep Pts: -47

Posted by: @jupiter

It helps the Blue Blood or the schools that have deep pocket donors.  And even though it may be helping with Snuggerud this year, it hurt the U last year by convincing Eiserman decommit.

Eiserman had ZERO to do with NIL... The story will come out someday, but it certainly was not NIL.

intriguing!  Must have been fall out with coaches or BU somehow convinced him it would be better for his development to go there.  At the time it was framed as he wanted to play close to home.  I was always very curious what really happened.  

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gopherr16

Posted by: @jupiter

intriguing!  Must have been fall out with coaches or BU somehow convinced him it would be better for his development to go there.  At the time it was framed as he wanted to play close to home.  I was always very curious what really happened.  

I think it was a family issue. Nothing to do with Bob

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5390

I have zero clue what the actual story is, but I looked at it like the Faber situation. Committed to place far from home, spent a good amount of time away from home with the NTDP, realized they’d like to be close to home. 

ReplyQuote
Gopherr16
(@gopherr16)
Rep Pts: -47

Posted by: @karlsson

I have zero clue what the actual story is, but I looked at it like the Faber situation. Committed to place far from home, spent a good amount of time away from home with the NTDP, realized they’d like to be close to home. 

Would be plausible, but Jupiter’s comment makes it seem like there is some more to it.  Would have been awesome to see him here for a year.  Oh well 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7613
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @wilson34

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @upnorthkid

There haven't been many years where there wasn't 1 or 2 guys on a roster with remaining eligibility that were considered expendable. I'm all for replacing that type of player but the odds that every roster spot will be filled with "Gopher caliber talent" isn't all the realistic imho. 

historical outlooks aren’t super helpful now though in the portal era. There’s already 225 guys in the portal. Wilkie, Wood, Fontaine, and Tellier all would fit being the talent level people are looking at just at first glance. We will have top 9 time to offer as well as possible PP time. 

The portal era didn't just begin this year and even programs that have feasted off it had expendable players.  Also if the Gophers land a few Top 6 players that pushes someone on the roster now to Bottom 6, one of which could have "Gopher caliber talent" and decides themselves to enter the portal.

Like I said I have no issue with replacing a few of the players from the portal, but I think people need to be realistic when assuming how "easy" it is to have 23 irreplaceable players on your team even in the era of the portal.

No one on here is thinking like that. Not thinking top 6, thinking top 9. Teams are deep with 9 now. Especially at a place like Minnesota. Wasn’t Nelson’s line considered on paper the 3rd line?

It’s actually quite easy. Despite the Snuggy news, and the all but confirmed Wood coming in, you can still get one more quality forward for your top 9. If someone wants to leave because of it (like a Kurth), let him.

It was suggested or I wouldn't have commented on it and if it were easy several bluebloods wouldn't have any replaceable players with remaining eligibility. Of course a school like MN should be able to bring in some legit talent though via the portal.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7713

Posted by: @karlsson

Let's get the Wood signing out of the way. Michigan Hockey is following him now on insta. I don't want this to be a Hagens situation all over again..Seal the deal...The longer this drags out the more nervous I get...

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/1775256670110621914

IIRC, this is the account that told people to pump the brakes on the Bump to MN rumors, too. 

A couple of days ago he said Minnesota was the HEAVY favorite. Now, he lists Mn first, but "in the mix". I wish he would have started with in the mix first...

This is exactly what I’m saying. 4 days ago I wouldn’t have gave two you know what’s where Matthew Wood went in the portal but now after all the “insiders” said Minnesota over and over, if he ends up going anywhere else it’ll be a letdown.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4854
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @upnorthkid

There haven't been many years where there wasn't 1 or 2 guys on a roster with remaining eligibility that were considered expendable. I'm all for replacing that type of player but the odds that every roster spot will be filled with "Gopher caliber talent" isn't all the realistic imho. 

historical outlooks aren’t super helpful now though in the portal era. There’s already 225 guys in the portal. Wilkie, Wood, Fontaine, and Tellier all would fit being the talent level people are looking at just at first glance. We will have top 9 time to offer as well as possible PP time. 

While that is true you are not going to get a top end player to be on the 4th line or even the 3rd line from the portal, they want to get special teams time to showcase their talent.  They will just portal again. (since the courts shot down transfer rules)  The guys who will take those spots are going to be lesser players that is just how it works.  The days of the Gophers (or any elite team) having players on their fourth line regularly who would be 2nd line on good teams is over because players have freedom.

That is the problem with the framing of these arguments nowadays...its the same argument people ad for Lucia always getting every 4 and 5 star player and sort of leaving behind the strategy that worked.  His success wasn't just because he got all the best recruits (or most of them anyways) it was because he recruited guys who had talent but had no real future outside of hockey to play the lower line role.  The type of guy that will stay 4 years and be happy he did it.  The more he got away from that, the more it became clear the team was backsliding hard.  We basically became the Calipari Kentucky Basketball of hockey...we get all the top names but they never stay long enough to become something special.

To me a team like the Gophers, for the most part, should be using the portal to find those types of players most years.  We get the pick of the litter when it comes to top end talent but we tend to struggle to find those older players that aren't really worried about how much PP time they can get because every recruit we bring in is elite for the most part.  Don't get me wrong there are times we need to supplement our top lines (last year was a big one) and if a guy like Wood wants to come in by all means if he fits the dynamic of the team do it.  That said though if we are going after 5 stars in the portal every year then to me Motzko isn't doing his job.  He is in a rather unique position and he needs to balance things just right.  And to be fair each team he will have is different so again 2 years ago he had no need to get portal players to get top end minutes, last year he did.  This year it would seem he needs something more, someone to play with Jimmy. 

His success will be dependent on if he is able to see how his team is made up and adapt his strategy accordingly.  I have no doubt he will...

That is why I am critical of UND and their getting goalies in the portal.  Its also why I am hesitant to crown a few other teams that I think do, or will, rely on the portal too much.  To me it is not a long term strategy for elite teams.  You might get a good run every few years, but you will have some real clunkers too.  You still have to be able to develop and keep your own talent as well.

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1163

Absolutely agree with the notion you cannot consistently be a portal team. It may work in basketball where there are so few players who get run, but hockey's lifeblood will still be recruiting and development. NIL in other sports has been more about player retention than re recruiting (though it certainly does not hurt there).

Of course, if a great opportunity arises in the portal you pounce. Wood is such an opportunity. Who knows where we are at with him, but it is the type of add which takes good teams to great. 

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Posted by: @stateofhockey78

They need to set him up for way more designed plays 5 on 5 and one time blasts in the powerplay. 

I can understand that view to a degree, but I think some of the growing pains for Jimmy this season had to do with him needing to learn how to get himself open and create space with physical play.  Something he seems to be recognizing in his post season assessment.  I imagine, especially in the B1G, teams are going to continue to shade him on the PP, hit him (this was very noticeable in the B1G 2nd half), and disrupt his time and space until we prove there are too many other weapons on his line that can hurt them or he learns how to adjust his play.  I felt there were many opportunities where a little bit better passing accuracy could have opened up shots for us, but he found guys skates or made an errant pass.  I think he will learn and grow and be a better player having had the struggle.

This brings up a topic though I'd love to get some opinions on.  I have not liked the approach to our power play.  Seems like we either just pass it around the outside looking for a shot or we attempt wristers from the blue line with screens.  Not that this is bad, but I rarely see an approach where it looks like we have a plan.  Thinking 2-3 passes ahead to either set up the bumper or a cross ice feed down low. Watching a lot of hockey and the uber successful power play teams it always seems like they know how they want to attack you, whereas this year I felt our PP was stale and lacked the plan.  Maybe we just need one more skill guy out there, but I'd enjoy other opinions on the topic.

ReplyQuote

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Yeah that all seems pretty accurate, especially the part about taking way too many shots from the point (kind of an issue at 5 on 5 as well). I think having a two unit look that was splitting time evenly was also kinda weird, ideally you load up one unit and have a better plan for how to attack the PK via different looks. Part of the issue was that they sorta just would give the puck to someone else hoping they did something with it and this kinda just repeated itself until they lost it. 

For Snuggerud one way he could create good looks is by doing the curl play that Kessel used to do, he’d either shoot it after the curl with some momentum, pass it back door down low, or sometimes cross ice pass it to someone else with a good shot. I also liked when they worked it near the goal line and drew the PK unit lower. They just need more ways to create chances.

ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Lets assume for a moment that Matthew Wood is acquired from the portal.

Does Snuggerud returning and Wood coming in cause any of our recruits to decommit?  Or does it cause players that would be expecting to step up a line to enter the portal? Or to turn pro perhaps prematurely?

I have to assume that Hendrickson, Ziemer, and Pahlsson did not commit to MN to spend time on the 4th line even as freshmen.  

Of the current forwards in the top 9, Kurth, Lamb, Huglen, Clark(kinda top 9), and Pitlick I would have to believe that their expectations for their next season in college hockey would be to be featured more and be "promoted" a line level but is there room for them?  WIth the talented top 3 incoming freshmen (above), there is a chance that a Connor Kurth could be relegated to 4th line.  

Last thing to ponder, while this scenario could create one of the deepest Gopher teams in recent history, for sure since the major expansion of D1 hockey especially in MN, does it have the high end fire power to win it all?  And to extend that outside of the forwards, do we have the goal tending that can get us there?

ReplyQuote
GopherK2
(@gopherk2)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 79

Interesting comments from Scott Sandelin regarding the Transfer Portal:

https://kdal610.com/2024/04/02/scott-sandelin-unfiltered-on-transfer-portal/

The monsters have their kingdom that they live in, and they’re getting the best players.”

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7613
Post on old board: 18942

The verdict is still out on Airey. As for scoring power I think Wood qualifies if he comes in, there's Snuggy, they both get a fair amount of criticism but Pitlick just put up 36 points and Moore 33, and L Mitts, Huglen, Lamb and Rinzel had 20-28 points.

Who of that group progresses, stays the same or falls back?

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

@slap-shot 

I think Moore leads the team in points next season even with Snuggerud and Wood.

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @mlhouse

Does Snuggerud returning and Wood coming in cause any of our recruits to decommit?  Or does it cause players that would be expecting to step up a line to enter the portal? Or to turn pro perhaps prematurely?

I have to assume that Hendrickson, Ziemer, and Pahlsson did not commit to MN to spend time on the 4th line even as freshmen.  

Of the current forwards in the top 9, Kurth, Lamb, Huglen, Clark(kinda top 9), and Pitlick I would have to believe that their expectations for their next season in college hockey would be to be featured more and be "promoted" a line level but is there room for them?  WIth the talented top 3 incoming freshmen (above), there is a chance that a Connor Kurth could be relegated to 4th line.  

Last thing to ponder, while this scenario could create one of the deepest Gopher teams in recent history, for sure since the major expansion of D1 hockey especially in MN, does it have the high end fire power to win it all?  And to extend that outside of the forwards, do we have the goal tending that can get us there?

I don’t think so, although it is a good point to bring up. Most would be ok playing 4th line for a year and then working their way up the lineup as they get older, Connor Kurth style. Kurth was the USA Junior Hockey player of the year in 2022, was recruited here to score goals, yet still found himself playing on the 4th line as a freshman. All part of earning your stripes.

ReplyQuote
Johnny Five
(@johnny-five)
Rep Pts: 15

Is Huglen a lock to return? 

ReplyQuote

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @johnny-five

Not a lock. His career had so many setbacks with the back issues so he is on the older side now and likely has a future in pro hockey, regardless of where it is. Plus, as mentioned, he is married so he is adulting in other parts of his life.

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1033
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @gopherk2

The monsters have their kingdom that they live in, and they’re getting the best players.”

He does have some good points.

ReplyQuote
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

Posted by: @bert

For sure - many of us have been saying those same things about football and basketball for a while now.

Gopher hockey not exactly a big transfer portal user up to this point though.

ReplyQuote
stateofhockey78
(@stateofhockey78)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @bluebandit24

Not a lock. His career had so many setbacks with the back issues so he is on the older side now and likely has a future in pro hockey, regardless of where it is. Plus, as mentioned, he is married so he is adulting in other parts of his life.

That would make me sad.  I've always liked Aaron.  Had some tough luck in his career, but those silky mitts of his are fun to watch when he's feeling it. I hope he decides to stay with Snuggy returning as we need distributors to go along with the finishers.

Mozzy reacted
ReplyQuote
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

I agree he has some good points and the transfer portal usage is somewhat ridiculous.

But then, on the other hand, these are just kids.  More specifically they are college kids.  I get that the concept of "student-athlete" has been bastardized for decades but if a kid, even a superior athlete, wants to change the college they go to, on what basis should there be rules to stop them?

The real problem with college athletics is the corruption that money brings to it.  For the main revenue sports like football and basketball, the cheaters got to the top of the mountain and the big money television deals.  Then they changed the rules so that most of the cheating is not legal.  The real kicker is, THESE FUCKING SCHOOLS STILL CHEAT.  

The transfer portal with the corruption is a bad thing.  But I believe in freedom and if Tristian Broz wants to go to a different college and a different college hockey program, what should stop him.

This is why I don't favor any rules on college commitments.  NCAA rules are selectively enforced and selectively punished.  If your school is a huge money maker, like ACC North Carolina basketball, when you blatantly cheat with more evidence to convict them 10 times over, nothing happens.  They are huge money makers.  But other schools might receive significant punishment for even lesser violations.  

Instead, if a 13 year old like Chaz Lucious wants to make a college D1 hockey commitment, and his parents support it and the U of M coaching staff and administration support it, why stop it?  It is completely non-binding.  Creating "rules" just means some programs are going to cheat on the rules and get away with it.  Some programs are going to cheat, and get caught, and receive minimal punishment.  Some programs are going to cheat and get caught, and receive maximum punishment.  Its all arbitrary.  So why have rules?

Dcboe and BlueBandit24 reacted
ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Has he graduated? I have a hard time seeing a guy like Huglen leave school without a degree.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Has he graduated? I have a hard time seeing a guy like Huglen leave school without a degree.

He's 23 and been here 3 years. I would have a really hard time seeing him leaving given he's not even in the top 20 in Buffalo's prospect pool. I'd expect him back and in contention to wear a letter. 

ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2375

The longer we go without hearing anything official on Wood the more worried I get that it doesn’t work out. I’m getting flashbacks to the Alex Bump situation last summer. 

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

The longer we go without hearing anything official on Wood the more worried I get that it doesn’t work out. I’m getting flashbacks to the Alex Bump situation last summer. 

The delay is definitely worrisome, though reliable sources have linked Wood to Minnesota. Bump seemed more like connecting dots following the Cooley departure. It did not appear the Gophers were really in consideration for Bump.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @mlhouse

On bold 1, I would doubt it. Would expect it more likely to see lower down transfers out (ie Pino, Strobel, etc). Easy promise from Bob that it's an acclimation year as next year's senior forward class will have Huglen, Pitlick, Nevers (if he's back), and Snuggy all leaving (as well as Wood pending how the year goes). Will be lots of top 6 minutes there and a year getting your feet wet is pretty commonplace for everyone who's not a 1st rounder (Hendrickson a 4th rounder, Ziemer and Pahlsson will be around there too I'd guess). 

On bold 2, in short, look at the last 5 champions. QU, Denver, UMass, UMD x2. The only team with a similar amount of top end talent to win it that we will have this year was Denver. We'd be just fine in terms of having "enough" talent, just need it to show up.

I would like to see tBob pick up an experienced goalie in the portal, but we have also heard nothing but positive things from Bob and Closer regarding Airey, and they see him every day in practice. Of the last champions goalies, Chrona (DU) has looked worse than Laffer in the NHL, Perets (QU) isn't in the league, Hunter Shepard (UMD) has seen spot minutes over his career, and UMass had 2 goalies split time most of the year. More it ends up being a mental game of do guys wilt under the pressure and do you have the system to not put your goalie on an island (even guys like Augustine can get lit up in a 1 and done format as he gave up 9 goals in 2 games with an 86% Sv%). If Airey still can play his best week in and out when the bright lights shine a little more, we'll be fine. Just hard to know if he will based on sample size and that's where I think having a veteran around is good, though Bob does seem like he likes to roll with 1 goalie (though he has mentioned in the past being ok with rotating). 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Gophers_inGF
(@gophers_ingf)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 58

@rau4skiumah he followed yet another UND player on instagram, my bet is we are out. Hopefully not

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1344

Not sure if I missed this getting posted somewhere else, but clearly Jimmy gets the same things what we've been talking about on the podcast. St. Louis did offer to burn a year of his contract, which is the best incentive a team can give because it gets the player to RFA and bigger dollars sooner.

https://theathletic.com/5386446/2024/04/02/jimmy-snuggerud-blues-minnesota-ncaa/?source=emp_shared_article

Snuggerud came to the conclusion that staying in college next season will help him work on his puck protection and puck control and put himself in a better position to produce scoring chances.

“I want to be able to dominate at every single level that I play at,” he said. “I feel like I had a little bit of that last year, but leaving on a note like this after my sophomore year just wouldn’t sit right inside my stomach.

“My goals and aspirations are very high for myself. I shouldn’t have to use the excuse that I wasn’t getting the puck enough because I was and I will. Whoever I play with, I should be able to drive the line and use my own speed to improve in those areas.”

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2446
Post on old board: 6782

Ok @eric-vegoe is the BS that the CHN writer is spewing on X about top end future NHL talent getting north of $100k from NIL's true or real?  From the two collectives in the state of Iowa, which are pretty open about how much they had out, is no where near that for their football and basketball athletes which generate much more money than any college hockey athlete.  Even when you guys had the guy from DTA on the podcast he made it seem like the money wasn't that big.  I mean for cripes sake Cooley who was in the Hobey Hat Trick got burritos not fist full of hundo's!

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692

Patiently waiting for the "Matthew Wood to the Gophers" tweet. Cmon, we need it!

ReplyQuote

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Patiently waiting for the "Matthew Wood to the Gophers" tweet. Cmon, we need it!

he has now followed 5 UND players on IG

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2375

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

he has now followed 5 UND players on IG

Not ideal. But we’ll see what happens. Plenty of talent on the roster, coming in, and still in the portal. It’s a long off season. Plenty to unfold. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I just wish we had a Gopher reporter in town who is making calls and breaking stories instead of posting about a student manager on BC from Warroad....

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1344

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Ok @eric-vegoe is the BS that the CHN writer is spewing on X about top end future NHL talent getting north of $100k from NIL's true or real?  From the two collectives in the state of Iowa, which are pretty open about how much they had out, is no where near that for their football and basketball athletes which generate much more money than any college hockey athlete.  Even when you guys had the guy from DTA on the podcast he made it seem like the money wasn't that big.  I mean for cripes sake Cooley who was in the Hobey Hat Trick got burritos not fist full of hundo's!

There are definitely a couple schools that have decent budgets for NIL because their NHL alums are tired of seeing their programs out of the spotlight. I think the ~ $100k figure for some players aligns with what I've heard for a few. DA definitely doesn't have that kind of budget at this point to compete with that kind of competition. Cooley was going to get more than burritos if he came back last year and Snuggerud is going to get more than that this year -- keeping in mind that there isn't a lot of benefit from being specfic for any collective and there are non-disclosure agreements and clawback clauses in these NIL contracts.

g-manpuck reacted
ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator

I just wish we had a Gopher reporter in town who is making calls and breaking stories instead of posting about a student manager on BC from Warroad....

@jupiter they need to bring back Finoa Quick or whatever her name was

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I have seen that some portal players are making campus visits. Wilkie and Pohlkamp are at UND today.  Could the delay in the Wood decision be based on the fact that he wants to visit campus before he decides? If so, it could be another couple of days of this....

ReplyQuote
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

keeping in mind that there isn't a lot of benefit from being specfic for any collective and there are non-disclosure agreements and clawback clauses in these NIL contracts.

That is the big thing that I think a lot of us fans are having hard time dealing with is how much of this portal movement being driven by NIL money?  How much is recruitment being driven by NIL money?  It's just that mystery we are having problems understanding if it is having an affect or not.

ReplyQuote

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Wilkie and Pohlkamp are at UND today

He is out of the family if he goes there! 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 23