Gophers 2024 off se...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


[Closed] Gophers 2024 off season

1,461 Posts
109 Users
878 Reactions
84.7 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4395
Rep Pts: 12998
 

Posted by: @hey_sioux_suck
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

If you look at the proposed roster on GPL at the link (add Koster and Nevers, subtract Whipple).  

The amount of depth really is exceptional.  Also a lot of big game experience with the Junior/Senior/Grads (10 excluding Wood and Souliere when 20 see the ice).

I think you’ll have the first round first line.  With 2xJuniors and a Sophmore.

D-core has 4 scorers (Rinzel, Koster, LMitts, Gruba).  Chelsey and Cal are shutdown D.

Unlike ‘22-23, we won’t be relying on youth in the Forward group.  Might have slightly less high end talent.  

 

MIGHT have slightly less high end talent? C’mon, no Cooley, no Knies, thats two, top 2 line NHL forwards. That equates to less talent - period. 

 

Wood is equal to Knies IMO, could be better in some ways.  Snuggerud SHOULD be better than his Freshmen version.  Cooley to Sophmore Moore is a drop off for sure.

This is my point exactly, it’s not as big of a drop off as folks perceive.

 

Saying Wood will be equal to Knies is a stretch. Moore simply isn’t as good as Cooley. Like most Gopher teams, they’ll have plenty of talent, the 24-25 D core will not be on the level of Faber, LaCombe & Johnson group though. And we’ll see how the goalie transfer from Penn State does. They need guys like Pitlick & the Roseau kid to step up…and they will REALLY miss Nelson & Brodz experience & scoring. Asking Koster & Nevers back provides glue & is a wise move by tBob.

 

 

With the skill of Pahlsson and Hendrickson coming in, we could have four legit scoring lines.  Very close to 2022-23 skill level in the D zone and slight difference between sophomore Moore and Cooley, but the scoring depth will be deeper.  Don’t discount the level of experience guys like Huglen, Lamb, and Pitlick have accrued through deep NCAA tournament runs.  

 

Even the 2022-23 team didn’t have a scoring 4th line. This team will be deeper offensively but whether they have the same high end talent remains to be seen.

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 1:40 pm
Jûpe ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 2074
Rep Pts: 7465
Post on old board: 15786
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

If you look at the proposed roster on GPL at the link (add Koster and Nevers, subtract Whipple).  

Heisenberg still has Whipple coming in for 2024... So I will wait until I hear something more concrete on if he is coming or not. Then make the update to the proposed roster.


Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃

 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 1:45 pm
Blue Bandit 24
(@bluebandit24)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1008
Rep Pts: 2893
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4395
Rep Pts: 12998
 

Mason is a welcomed “addition” but I hope Motz doesn’t force him into the top 6. Plenty of talent already there.


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 4:00 pm
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2019
 

Posted by: @jupiter
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

If you look at the proposed roster on GPL at the link (add Koster and Nevers, subtract Whipple).  

Heisenberg still has Whipple coming in for 2024... So I will wait until I hear something more concrete on if he is coming or not. Then make the update to the proposed roster.

Whipple signed his NLI and the spot is there if he wants to take it. It's up to him to decide what is best for his development.

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 4:22 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4549
Rep Pts: 11443
Post on old board: 18942
 

AT LEAST HE WONT TAKE AN UNTIMELY PENATLY LIKE HIS COUSIN!!

Just wanted to make sure we pointed that out for at least the 3rd time.  


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 5:43 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

AT LEAST HE WONT TAKE AN UNTIMELY PENATLY LIKE HIS COUSIN!!

Just wanted to make sure we pointed that out for at least the 3rd time.  

I can always count on U slap shot! 😉🤠

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 6:05 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold
↑

Mason is a welcomed “addition” but I hope Motz doesn’t force him into the top 6. Plenty of talent already there.

Nevers will dig for pucks on the 3rd line & kill penalties. Good locker room guy too, earned his bonus year (on this squad) as did Koster. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 6:08 pm
TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 143
Rep Pts: 633
 

Wouldn't likely affect Whipple's playing time, but any chance that this could push Rud or Begley out of the program or to the juniors?  Also, realize that with 3 D-men scheduled to come in next year, it may not be easier then.


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 6:59 pm
Jankwi01 reacted
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 171
Rep Pts: 641
 

Glad the OG crew of Nevers and Koster will be back.  Cannot emphasize how much the team will miss some other experienced work horses in Nelson, Brodz(sometimes) and Close.  The backbone of the team needs to be reestablished as was evident in the NCAA playoffs.  The superstars didn't show up to play so hopefully they add some grit to their game in the offseason and step up.  TONS of talent on this roster so no excuses


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 7:12 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @mg-since-forever
↑

Glad the OG crew of Nevers and Koster will be back.  Cannot emphasize how much the team will miss some other experienced work horses in Nelson, Brodz (sometimes) and Close.  The backbone of the team needs to be reestablished as was evident in the NCAA playoffs.  The superstars didn't show up to play so hopefully they add some grit to their game in the offseason and step up.  TONS of talent on this roster so no excuses

Fixed your post 😉

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 8:09 pm
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 171
Rep Pts: 641
 

@bearpaw28 Ummmm OK :). Cannot deny his importance at certain times but also have to recognize his liability at others.  Overall you are 100% correct.  I respectfully retract.  I wish him the best and a team that can take his talent and develop it.  Just not sure there is a complete player there.  Willing to be WRONG here.


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 8:40 pm
bearpaw28 reacted



Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@mg-since-forever is one of our forwards going to the USHL? Is there room for Ziemer, Paulson and Hendrickson?


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 8:55 pm
FargoGopher7
(@fargogopher7)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 38
Rep Pts: 78
 

@jankwi01 yes all 3 will play


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 9:01 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@fargogopher7 

 

How many forwards we got then? I apologize but the math seems like we would be over 14.


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 9:04 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @mg-since-forever
↑

@bearpaw28 Ummmm OK :). Cannot deny his importance at certain times but also have to recognize his liability at others.  Overall you are 100% correct.  I respectfully retract.  I wish him the best and a team that can take his talent and develop it.  Just not sure there is a complete player there.  Willing to be WRONG here.

Although most of you know the Gophers are my 2nd favorite MN college team, I do follow the Gophers closely enough to really appreciate how players like Nelson & Brodz never got envious when tBob brought in Knies & then Cooley & Snuggy, but instead embraced it & their respective roles (the same can be said for Huglen & Pitlick) and obviously can’t be said for Broz. And while I realize I irritate some by bringing up Cooleys controversial penalty vs Q, I do feel bad for the players regarding how that game ended. That was a special team, the best Gopher squad since 2002-2003. The challenge, especially for the Gophers (who literally can recruit an ALL STAR roster if they choose) is finding the right mix of players. And who knows, maybe they will in 2024-2025 & take home a Natty. Brodz came in as a true freshman directly from HS after winning Mr. Hockey, accordingly, his last 3 years were his best, similar to Nelson & Close & those three 5th years were clearly valuable last season & wore the M proud! 👍 Also happy tBob asked Koster & Nevers back for their 5th year of eligibility, it was the right thing to do. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 9:14 pm
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@fargogopher7 

 

How many forwards we got then? I apologize but the math seems like we would be over 14.

With Nevers back, I have JMitts, Nevers, Hendrickson, Pahlsson, Falloon competing for 4th line ice.

Line 1:  First rounders

Line 2:  7’s

Line 3:  Ziemer/Clark/Kurth

Line 4: 3 of the 5 above

Could see Hendrickson over Clark as Line 3 C over the course of the season.  But would not want to play against the forecheck of that third line.

When you look at maybe you roll 13 forwards with Nevers extra as a specialist?  Good problem for Bob and Gordon.  They selling tickets to practice 😁?

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 10:41 pm
Jûpe ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 2074
Rep Pts: 7465
Post on old board: 15786
 

IF?

Someone is not paying attention. I Dont Know  


Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃

 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 10:45 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@boninthebear 

 

Thanks for sharing. I guess If I was Bob I would probably have ziemer and Hendrickson play another year of juniors. I feel like that is more valuable than getting limited minutes on the forth line. I don't get paid the big bucks though.


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 10:56 pm
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@boninthebear 

 

Thanks for sharing. I guess If I was Bob I would probably have ziemer and Hendrickson play another year of juniors. I feel like that is more valuable than getting limited minutes on the forth line. I don't get paid the big bucks though.

Ziemer will be on line 2 or 3.  

 


 
Posted : Wed. May 22, 2024 11:00 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4020
Rep Pts: 12311
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@fargogopher7 

 

How many forwards we got then? I apologize but the math seems like we would be over 14.

With Nevers back, I have JMitts, Nevers, Hendrickson, Pahlsson, Falloon competing for 4th line ice.

Line 1:  First rounders

Line 2:  7’s

Line 3:  Ziemer/Clark/Kurth

Line 4: 3 of the 5 above

Could see Hendrickson over Clark as Line 3 C over the course of the season.  But would not want to play against the forecheck of that third line.

When you look at maybe you roll 13 forwards with Nevers extra as a specialist?  Good problem for Bob and Gordon.  They selling tickets to practice 😁?

 

 I’d be very surprised if we aren’t rolling 7 d every night, especially if whipple is coming in. It will be a nice problem to have if all those guys want to come in and battle to get on the ice. We’ll see how Goes in the free transfer era if they all stick around if it doesn’t work out

as far as the idea of juniors, if Bob thinks ziemer and Hendrickson can help you absolutely bring them in. Would imagine someone like Falloon knows he may not see much if any ice this year. But all of them have the opportunity to be a big part of the next year and getting a year of college seasoning knowing we’re going to unload a bunch of forwards could be very valuable

 


 
Posted : Thu. May 23, 2024 7:24 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@eric-vegoe 

Why did you lock my thread?


 
Posted : Thu. May 23, 2024 11:28 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@boninthebear 

Who falls down  to line 3 then? Lamb? Huglen?


 
Posted : Thu. May 23, 2024 11:31 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4549
Rep Pts: 11443
Post on old board: 18942
 

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@eric-vegoe 

Why did you lock my thread?

I suspect he might think it's redundant from the NCAA hockey thread?  Just a guess.

 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 3:07 am



BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@boninthebear 

Who falls down  to line 3 then? Lamb? Huglen?

Ziemer is RW.  I think you have:

LW:  Pitlick

C:  Huglen

RW:  Ziemer if he gets moved up to line 2

I said this before, but the practices with this roster should be really competitive.

If Nevers plays on line 2 or 3 you could be looking at Kurth or Lamb on the 4th line.  Crazy.

 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 3:09 am
Jûpe ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 2074
Rep Pts: 7465
Post on old board: 15786
 

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@eric-vegoe 

Why did you lock my thread?

I suspect he might think it's redundant from the NCAA hockey thread?  Just a guess.

 

Vegoe is not a moderator, so it was not him... But I am guessing that it was locked because of the redundancy.

 


Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃

 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 7:41 am
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 514
Rep Pts: 1046
Post on old board: 8405
 

Posted by: @jupiter
↑

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@eric-vegoe 

Why did you lock my thread?

I suspect he might think it's redundant from the NCAA hockey thread?  Just a guess.

 

Vegoe is not a moderator, so it was not him... But I am guessing that it was locked because of the redundancy.

 

 

I locked it.  We have a section for College Hockey and there is a section in there or Other College Hockey news.  We like to leave this section for Gopher Hockey Talk

 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 8:36 am
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 1707
Rep Pts: 5054
Post on old board: 28736
 

I don't think he is underselling them...I think you guys are forgetting how good Knies was and still is.  Moore hasn't shown he is at that level yet and none of us knows how good Wood is really.  Comparing them as equals is very premature. 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 9:15 am
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @handyman
↑

I don't think he is underselling them...I think you guys are forgetting how good Knies was and still is.  Moore hasn't shown he is at that level yet and none of us knows how good Wood is really.  Comparing them as equals is very premature. 

I’ve watched Wood play a handful of UCONN games, including the Hockey East Tournament against BC where he single handedly kept them it in.  

I think we have a pretty good idea of how good he is as he’s played more than 60 games in Hockey East.  Not like he’s coming in from the USHL.  

 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 10:07 am
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Stauber Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 235
Rep Pts: 985
 

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 10:28 am
HandyNotDan, Any Road, Jankwi01 and 2 people reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 789
Rep Pts: 1749
Post on old board: 8686
 

We have a hockey schedule!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

…for the women… 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 6:51 pm
Cowgirl reacted
TBGopher
(@tbgopher)
Lucia Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 26
Rep Pts: 91
 

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 


 
Posted : Fri. May 24, 2024 7:18 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3775
Rep Pts: 11828
Post on old board: 10120
 

 

 

Posted by: @jwg
↑

We have a hockey schedule!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

…for the women… 

 

not thumbs downing the women.  Just the fact we wait. And wait. And wait. And wait….For the guys schedule.   

 

 


Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 12:45 am
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 1:16 am
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 

Some telling stats in the above post, & you’re being accurate about what U posted earlier regarding Moore vs Cooley comparison. IMO had Cooley returned as he originally indicated, Gophers make Frozen Four & maybe Ship Game, him not returning affected Snuggy the most. Cooley had the potential to be a generational college player, unfortunately we’ll never know if that would have been the case. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 5:20 am
Mike Eruzione 11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2254
Rep Pts: 6824
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 

Some telling stats in the above post, & you’re being accurate about what U posted earlier regarding Moore vs Cooley comparison. IMO had Cooley returned as he originally indicated, Gophers make Frozen Four & maybe Ship Game, him not returning affected Snuggy the most. Cooley had the potential to be a generational college player, unfortunately we’ll never know if that would have been the case. 

 

yes but you forgot to tell us that Cooley took a penalty with 4 minutes left 😉

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 8:18 am



TheBirdman
(@thebirdman)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 143
Rep Pts: 633
 

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 ----

I also remain somewhat jaded about the top line disappearing in Tampa.

I've not seen Wood play, but am hopeful that another high skill forward helps elevate Snuggerud back to his freshmen year production.  His reliance on (and subsequent missing of) Cooley and Knies was apparent last year. Especially on the power play --- which also disappeared or was abysmal in key stretches. Hoping last year also highlighted the importance of developing other skills besides his one timer. Moore seems to gain confidence after the world juniors last year --- hoping that carries forward.

Team seems a little "fresher" this year than it did last year --- I can't quantify other than the roster turnover. Still wishing we could find that player who has some edge and nastiness to him, not to be dirty, just keep other teams honest.

 

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 11:30 am
Mike Eruzione 11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 2254
Rep Pts: 6824
 

I am also jaded on the Knies comparisons due to how he no showed in NCAA play 2 seasons ago. But assuming Wood will be similar to him seems very premature. Next year’s team looks deep as heck which is something we haven’t been able to say. 

Like others have said, practice for those forwards is going to be very very competitive.


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 12:28 pm
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 

Some telling stats in the above post, & you’re being accurate about what U posted earlier regarding Moore vs Cooley comparison. IMO had Cooley returned as he originally indicated, Gophers make Frozen Four & maybe Ship Game, him not returning affected Snuggy the most. Cooley had the potential to be a generational college player, unfortunately we’ll never know if that would have been the case. 

 

yes but you forgot to tell us that Cooley took a penalty with 4 minutes left 😉

 

Not Cooley’s fault.  Was two players mixing it up.  Was sitting right at that dot in Amalie and the ref who’s call it was motioned it was both players with his hands and to play on.  Next thing I know there is a whistle out of nowhere.  Complete BS.  You don’t make that call in the Natty.  Was way behind the play and two players going at it.

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 12:29 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 

Some telling stats in the above post, & you’re being accurate about what U posted earlier regarding Moore vs Cooley comparison. IMO had Cooley returned as he originally indicated, Gophers make Frozen Four & maybe Ship Game, him not returning affected Snuggy the most. Cooley had the potential to be a generational college player, unfortunately we’ll never know if that would have been the case. 

 

yes but you forgot to tell us that Cooley took a penalty with 4 minutes left 😉

 

Not Cooley’s fault.  Was two players mixing it up.  Was sitting right at that dot in Amalie and the ref who’s call it was motioned it was both players with his hands and to play on.  Next thing I know there is a whistle out of nowhere.  Complete BS.  You don’t make that call in the Natty.  Was way behind the play and two players going at it.

 

C’mon man..the freaking point is SITUATIONAL hockey, leading by 1 goal with 4 minutes remaining you have to control your emotions. Mixing it up similarly in the first period is one thing, with 4 minutes to go is VASTLY DIFFERENT. You don’t let your emotions put U in situation where the ref might see it the other way  & call a penalty on U. That’s exactly what he did, and will (unfortunately) always be a part of his & the 22-23 teams legacy. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 12:47 pm
TheBirdman reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 1263
Rep Pts: 3947
Post on old board: 5631
 

Blaming a player for terrible officiating is and will always be an awful take.


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 1:59 pm
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3335
Rep Pts: 7550
Post on old board: 10695
 

Posted by: @j22
↑

Blaming a player for terrible officiating is and will always be an awful take.

When the guy that's right on top of the play, looking directly at the two players involved doesn't call anything, but the guy on the other end of the rink does, that's when you know it was a bad call.

What I don't understand is why, once the ref at the far end made his call, why the closer-in ref didn't add on the matching minor to the QU skater.  He clearly thought it shouldn't have been a penalty on either of them, once his cohort stepped in to call it on one side, he should have evened it up.

 


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 2:15 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@steve-mn 

I think Knies Is a better all around player than Wood. He is a better skater and is a much better at winning puck battles. I think Wood shoots it a little bit better and passes a little bit better. I think if Wood learned to be more physical he could close the gap and make it a conversation.


 
Posted : Sat. May 25, 2024 3:29 pm
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@steve-mn 

I think Knies Is a better all around player than Wood. He is a better skater and is a much better at winning puck battles. I think Wood shoots it a little bit better and passes a little bit better. I think if Wood learned to be more physical he could close the gap and make it a conversation.

Middle ground I can live with 😁.

The more interesting debate for me is which of the Freshman forwards can break into Line 2 or 3?  

This assumes Pitlick and Huglen are back (hope they are).  Not sure if there will be an announcement for them, or Chelsey for that matter.  Similar to Snuggy?

 


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 9:26 am
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @jankwi01
↑

@steve-mn 

I think Knies Is a better all around player than Wood. He is a better skater and is a much better at winning puck battles. I think Wood shoots it a little bit better and passes a little bit better. I think if Wood learned to be more physical he could close the gap and make it a conversation.

Middle ground I can live with 😁.

The more interesting debate for me is which of the Freshman forwards can break into Line 2 or 3?  

This assumes Pitlick and Huglen are back (hope they are).  Not sure if there will be an announcement for them, or Chelsey for that matter.  Similar to Snuggy?

 

All 3 will be back, Huglen was the only one I wondered about, Chesley isn’t ready…I consider Rinzel the best returning D followed by Luke M. 

 


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 10:17 am
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 1707
Rep Pts: 5054
Post on old board: 28736
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @handyman
↑

I don't think he is underselling them...I think you guys are forgetting how good Knies was and still is.  Moore hasn't shown he is at that level yet and none of us knows how good Wood is really.  Comparing them as equals is very premature. 

I’ve watched Wood play a handful of UCONN games, including the Hockey East Tournament against BC where he single handedly kept them it in.  

I think we have a pretty good idea of how good he is as he’s played more than 60 games in Hockey East.  Not like he’s coming in from the USHL.  

 

Do we because the stats I am seeing don't tell me he is as good as people are pumping him up to be.  Again the guy is not a point per game player and you are comparing him favorably to a guy who was Big Ten Frosh of the Year, Big Ten Player of the Year, First Team All American and a Hobey Finalist.

edit: I am not dissing Wood at all...I am just saying Knies was one of the 3 best players in the country.


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 1:59 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 336
Rep Pts: 435
 

@bearpaw28 

As a pure defensive defenseman I would have Chesley #1. He gives you almost nothing on offense though. He's a rich man's Jack Peart at St.Cloud State.


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 2:01 pm
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 1707
Rep Pts: 5054
Post on old board: 28736
 

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @tbgopher
↑

Posted by: @koho
↑

Posted by: @ddillon22
↑

Hobey Hat Trick and Big Ten player of the year might be tough for Wood to obtain like Knies did but I hope he does.  

Agree. Where they were drafted has zero consideration on how good two players are compared to each other. I still contend Knies should have won the Hobey as the best player in college hockey. All three had arguments for why they deserved to win, but I thought Knies was the most complete and impactful payer of the three.  It shouldn't just be about points. He was the best against the boards, rarely loosing those battles.  He was great on the PK, often creating scoring chances. Was a turnover generating machine, sometimes with stick, just on effort and sometimes just overpowering a player.  Cooley was a more creative offensive player and Fantilli a better scorer, but in head-to-head games, in World Juniors I thought Cooley looked better that Fantilli, and in NCAA Knies looked better overall than Fantilli. 

So until we actually see him play, I wouldn't put Woods in as the next Knies.  That line a couple years ago Louie was calling the best Gopher line he'd seen (although I don't agree).  They were historically good.  If it is Wood, Snuggy and Moore, I expect it to be one of best in country, but for now, would not expect to be at same level as 22.

And I hope they prove my expectations wrong. (Moore did look a lot better in 2nd half, and if Snuggy can play like he did right after World Juniors..., so I do expect a lot.)

I also agree this should be a very talented and deep D corp, maybe best in country, but still don't expect to be as good as 2 yrs ago.

But they don't need to have a first line and D corp as good or better than that year to have great shot at winning it all.  And I think this team will likely have more scoring depth than that team. 

Crap! It isn't even June yet.

 

Totally agree Knies should have won the Hobey. He was the most complete hockey player and made the biggest 200 foot impact on the ice on a game-to-game basis for the Gophers. Cooley and Fantilli had the points but that's not what the award should be about (unfortunately that is what it has become)

Also agree that expecting year 2 Moore to be the equal of Cooley and Wood to be the equal of Knies is absurd. I think we should expect them to be very good/elite but they are not generational players like Cooley and Knies IMO.

 

Who said year 2 Moore will be equal to Cooley?  I don’t believe anyone.  My post it said “step down”.  

I do believe this board is under-valuing Wood.  Knies was tremendous indeed.  

Still bitter with the fancy pants line disappearing act in Tampa.  Take away the two empty net goals and that line contributed 1 assist in Tampa.

1 point (ENG assist) in 7 NCAA tournament games probably didn’t help with Hobey for Knies.  Contrast with 3G and 1A for Fantilli in 3 games.

 

Pretty sure voting was done before that but I honestly can't remember anymore.

 


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 2:07 pm



maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4395
Rep Pts: 12998
 

Posted by: @handyman
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @handyman
↑

I don't think he is underselling them...I think you guys are forgetting how good Knies was and still is.  Moore hasn't shown he is at that level yet and none of us knows how good Wood is really.  Comparing them as equals is very premature. 

I’ve watched Wood play a handful of UCONN games, including the Hockey East Tournament against BC where he single handedly kept them it in.  

I think we have a pretty good idea of how good he is as he’s played more than 60 games in Hockey East.  Not like he’s coming in from the USHL.  

 

Do we because the stats I am seeing don't tell me he is as good as people are pumping him up to be.  Again the guy is not a point per game player and you are comparing him favorably to a guy who was Big Ten Frosh of the Year, Big Ten Player of the Year, First Team All American and a Hobey Finalist.

edit: I am not dissing Wood at all...I am just saying Knies was one of the 3 best players in the country.

Wood wasn’t exactly playing with the best talent over at UConn, certainly not compared to what he’ll play with here. He led his team in scoring both years and was a point per game player as a 17 year old freshman, youngest in college hockey that season. I’d say there’s something there. You don’t get drafted 15th overall on accident.

 


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 2:57 pm
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Bonin Level
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 406
Rep Pts: 1395
 

Posted by: @handyman
↑

Posted by: @boninthebear
↑

Posted by: @handyman
↑

I don't think he is underselling them...I think you guys are forgetting how good Knies was and still is.  Moore hasn't shown he is at that level yet and none of us knows how good Wood is really.  Comparing them as equals is very premature. 

I’ve watched Wood play a handful of UCONN games, including the Hockey East Tournament against BC where he single handedly kept them it in.  

I think we have a pretty good idea of how good he is as he’s played more than 60 games in Hockey East.  Not like he’s coming in from the USHL.  

 

Do we because the stats I am seeing don't tell me he is as good as people are pumping him up to be.  Again the guy is not a point per game player and you are comparing him favorably to a guy who was Big Ten Frosh of the Year, Big Ten Player of the Year, First Team All American and a Hobey Finalist.

edit: I am not dissing Wood at all...I am just saying Knies was one of the 3 best players in the country.

I watch a lot of random hockey via VPN and random TV subscriptions as I work as an expat.  Ended up watching BU and BC a lot as I enjoyed watching Celibrini, Lane Hutson, and the top BC line.

Wood played right with those players and stood out in those games.  Sure the point total wasn’t that high this year, but it was very clear the scout was do not let Matthew Wood beat us.  The talent around him was not up to the caliber he will play with here.
 
The Hockey East tournament this year he was a beast all game against BC.  Maybe I have a recency bias, but when I saw the social media post we were in his top 3 I thought it was going to be Cooley 2.0 in terms of emotional letdown.  Also think he makes the powerplay and Snuggy significantly better.

 


 
Posted : Sun. May 26, 2024 4:05 pm
Page 17 / 30

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad