1,984 Posts
122 Users
1539 Likes
60.2 K Views
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1222

I'm guessing either October 8th or October 14th.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1237
Post on old board: 5215

Given that it's 50 years since the first National Championship, I'd love to see a throwback honoring that team, if only for a couple games.

hockey1974B

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @chris83

Given that it's 50 years since the first National Championship, I'd love to see a throwback honoring that team, if only for a couple games.

hockey1974B

Yeah I've been wanting to see that M return for a very long time. 

Chris83 reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10656
Post on old board: 21741

hockey1974B

This has always been one of my dad's favorite teams and he loves this picture in particular.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris83 reacted
rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Any word on when we get to see these new uniforms? 

The itch is real lol!

IALTO

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2005

Posted by: @greyeagle

hockey1974B

This has always been one of my dad's favorite teams and he loves this picture in particular.

Cause I'm in it?

Greyeagle reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @norm

Posted by: @greyeagle

Cause I'm in it?

Obviously.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12651
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1705961800695431317

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Big 10 media poll:

1. Minnesota 

2. Michigan 

3. Michigan State 

4. Notre Dame

5. Wisconsin

6. Penn State

7. Ohio State

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Mittelstadt and Snuggerud picked preseason first team. Koster, Brodzinski and Close picked second team and Chesley is an honorable mention.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Big 10 media poll:

1. Minnesota 

2. Michigan 

3. Michigan State 

4. Notre Dame

5. Wisconsin

6. Penn State

7. Ohio State

I know that polls are worthless, yet I find it interesting that the B1G coaches have Penn St and Ohio St at the bottom and the USCHO poll has both in the top 16 and 6 of the 7 teams ranked in the top 20. No longer a B1G Mistake? ? 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1117

Should be a loaded league once again. Does not seem to change anytime soon with Hastings at Wisconsin and Michigan State apparently now a recruiting juggernaut.

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 747

Polls and Rankings - College Hockey | USCHO.com
https://www.uscho.com/rankings/

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1799
Post on old board: 8686

Anyone seen any further updates on Mariucci progress? Saw Craig Flor's 9/8 update but wondering if they've gotten lights done and ice in and/or if the new seating is getting installed.  Really curious about the luxury seating in the corner.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

@jwg 

According to @eric-vegoe last week, the ice was suppose to go in this past weekend and they are making sure everything is working. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @gator

@jwg 

According to @eric-vegoe last week, the ice was suppose to go in this past weekend and they are making sure everything is working. 

That's cutting it close.  There is no Plan B at this point.

I am curious to see the new boards/glass.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

The final layer of ice is going down now. Flor will post more once the UofM social has posted a more public update.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Cowgirl and Greyeagle reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The new Mariucci--

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1707062620149190829

Greyeagle reacted
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

Hey GPL!

What do you want to know going into this season? Media day is tomorrow and a couple of the guys wearing letters this season will be there along with Huglen, Snuggerud and maybe another to answer questions from us media jackals.

Maybe we'll get clarification on the new paid position on the coaching staff, who Motzko will be playing at center to start the year, how he'll handle the ice time for the defensive corps with a bunch of key pieces turning professional, what the workload might look like for the goalies, who has had the best offseason and what's the emphasis going to be starting the year.

Feel free to drop questions in this thread, send me a PM, DM or text, and I'll try my best to accomodate.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @frozen4champs

The new Mariucci--

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1707062620149190829

Love it!

They later tweeted some still pics.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1707071226303094977?s=20

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @eric-vegoe
Feel free to drop questions in this thread, send me a PM, DM or text, and I'll try my best to accommodate.

What, if any, changes will the coaching staff make to accommodate for the new sized Mariucci ice sheet?  Will fewer games on an Olympic ice make their jobs easier?  Especially thinking as they prep the team for postseason.  

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Q: Aside from the obvious changes in personnel, in what ways will this team be different from last year perhaps in style of play, strategy, etc.

Q: How does the U plan to cater more to fans living in SE Asia? We're a seriously under-represented part of the fan base.

(okay maybe skip the 2nd one)

It would be cool if the 1st GPL podcast could be shot in the new arena with some previews of the changes up close. Assuming that would even be allowed. 

Greyeagle reacted
Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5337
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @slap-shot

It would be cool if the 1st GPL podcast could be shot in the new arena with some previews of the changes up close. Assuming that would even be allowed. 

Not going to happen for podcast #1... But I can ask around to see if this would be possible later in the season.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

Posted by: @slap-shot

Not going to happen for podcast #1... But I can ask around to see if this would be possible later in the season.

Yeah I thought it might be too close for that, but appreciate the thought of looking into it later. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

White backgrounds on the advertisements on the boards!  They finally realized how cheap ass it looks to have the colored backgrounds.

This looks much classier.  Love it!

The Red M at center ice is odd.  It should match the uniforms and the seats.  The floor at Williams arena was bad enough, now they are doing it to Mariucci.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@eric-vegoe 

I know questions about lines before a game has been played tend to get a snark from Bob but I’d like to know how much he plans on keeping chemistry from last season (18-24-22 and Pitlick/Huglen) or if he’s truly putting it all in a blender, so to speak.

Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 198

rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level

Posted by: @boosker14

https://twitter.com/EvanMarinofsky/status/1707084057958314177?s=20

uhhhhhhhhhh

Ouch that really hurts us. I was really exited to watch him in maroon and gold.  

IALTO

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

All I know is THIS years team is really good and has as good of a shot as anyone to win it all. 

gopherfun83 reacted
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level

Once the rumblings of NIL money starting to tug at his sleeves started rolling I knew it was likely trouble. 

Hard to believe a university the size of UMN has trouble with competing hockeywise in the NIL world but here we are. 

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

This new reality of $ really sucks the fun out of college hockey.  

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5214

The transfer portal and NIL have not slowed my growing apathy toward college athletics. 

Cowgirl reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2262

Once the rumblings of NIL money starting to tug at his sleeves started rolling I knew it was likely trouble. 

Hard to believe a university the size of UMN has trouble with competing hockeywise in the NIL world but here we are. 

would rather they say fuck basketball and dump it into a sport we have massive built in advantage for, but that require the admin to seem to care about being dominant in sports at all

Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level

@upnorthkid Only way the programs at Minnesota compete is if they get with the times. 

Need the old timers within the booster ranks to wake up. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

@eric-vegoe I am curious if Bob Motzko has spent any more time coping with Vikings' losses at Menards this year.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 845
Post on old board: 5335

Unless the U suddenly becomes much more relaxed in compliance this is probably going to happen more and more. Dinkytown athletes is trying to get a foot in but right now most of their NLI focus is going to existing players not recruits. 

In fact the way that the U has their compliance department intertwined with NIL with it that they've  you can't just give recruits money to show up. So if other schools are doing that like they are in football Bob's going to have to figure something out because there's going to be a certain number of upcoming recruits that may have looked at the you but if some Eastern school is going to pay them a certain amount of money the use not going to match that That's guaranteed.

It's been happening in football and basketball for a year or two and it appears it's finally potentially come to hockey too. 

rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level

IALTO

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1799
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @orion

This new reality of $ really sucks the fun out of college hockey sports.  

Fixed that for you.  It feels like MN is screwed as are all but a select few schools in the not too distant future.

We're really screwed in football and basketball and hockey will suffer because here they'll always lag behind those other sports vs. a "hockey school"  Who at UND or BU really cares about anything other than hockey?

SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 577

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Unless the U suddenly becomes much more relaxed in compliance this is probably going to happen more and more. Dinkytown athletes is trying to get a foot in but right now most of their NLI focus is going to existing players not recruits. 

In fact the way that the U has their compliance department intertwined with NIL with it that they've  you can't just give recruits money to show up. So if other schools are doing that like they are in football Bob's going to have to figure something out because there's going to be a certain number of upcoming recruits that may have looked at the you but if some Eastern school is going to pay them a certain amount of money the use not going to match that That's guaranteed.

It's been happening in football and basketball for a year or two and it appears it's finally potentially come to hockey too. 

One of the few things the NCAA is allowed to do is restrict schools from using NIL money for an inducement to enroll at a school, which is actually in the policy.   So the compliance department is simply conforming with NCAA rules on the subject, and is being careful to ensure our coaches are not coordinating with an NIL collective for recruiting purposes.

That isn't stopping the NIL collectives from going out to recruits and contacting them on their own nationally.   And of course some compliance offices at other schools may be purposefully ignorant and looking the other way at their coaches making that communication.

If the NCAA actually enforces its rules, there are a lot of schools that would be in real trouble.  The U is not one of them.

The NCAA has indicated a very passive interest however, and they did penalize the U of Miami last year for a violation related to NIL.  I could totally see them making an example out of another school soon-- but it won't be a P4 school.  What's the old saying?  "Cleveland State is sure going to pay for Kentucky's recruiting violations."

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

Posted by: @jwg

Posted by: @orion

This new reality of $ really sucks the fun out of college hockey sports.  

Fixed that for you.  It feels like MN is screwed as are all but a select few schools in the not too distant future.

We're really screwed in football and basketball and hockey will suffer because here they'll always lag behind those other sports vs. a "hockey school"  Who at UND or BU really cares about anything other than hockey?

Hit. The. Nail. On. The. Head. 

I remember talking to an old coworker about this. Minnesota is unlike any other school that has a big time hockey program. Unlike Michigan, Wisconsin, and Michigan State our football and basketball programs have been for the most part averaging out at mediocre for the past half century. A few highs, quite a few lows, and a lot of average. At those schools hockey is obviously important (at different degrees) but their football and/or basketball programs are also really successful and popular and therefore no one will bat eye if that’s where you focus your energy because if football and basketball can be your most successful sports, why wouldn’t you? 

HOWEVER! We also aren’t an out and out hockey school like BU, Denver, UND, and UMD where mens hockey is obviously your most successful and important sport. So we can’t pour all of our efforts into hockey. 

We’re kind of in this weird middle ground where we’re trying make sure we’re a bit of everything but not all of one thing. The school that’s closest to our situation is possibly BC.
It’s weird that at a place like Minnesota the hockey program is sometimes this red headed step child in the athletic department but here we are. 

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 262

Unbelievable. Can this really be about money? Isn't this Eiserman kid going to play in the NHL in just a few years? NIL money is baby shit.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I joke to my wife that I'm leaving the farm to Gopher Hockey. Days like today makes me actually consider it.... 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil

Unbelievable. Can this really be about money? Isn't this Eiserman kid going to play in the NHL in just a few years? NIL money is baby shit.

I can't imagine the number of factors going into a recruiting decision and this is just one more on the list. For a kid who probably only has what his parents provide any money to play hockey and go to school will seem like a huge deal. 

Between NIL, transfer portal uncertainties, goofy parents, and the overall fickleness of yutes it's no wonder coaches end up with hair styles like Bob's.  

Keith reacted
MNBassman
(@davey-j)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 208

If pretty damn close to ignoring all sports at all levels!  They are literally gross from bottom up!

Formerly known as davey j.

GopherPete reacted
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level

NIL money is baby shit.

$75K for a college student is some serious coin. He isn't making that NHL dough right now. Gotta cash in when it's available. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

I wonder how much Cooley was going to get from Dinkytown before he left? 

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

NIL money is baby shit.

$75K for a college student is some serious coin. He isn't making that NHL dough right now. Gotta cash in when it's available. 

Almost enough money to get back a year of tuition and board at SSM.

https://www.s-sm.org/admissions/affording-ssm

wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 242

Sadly, money is now corrupting amateur college sports. it will turn into a bigger business as time goes by. 

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 248

Long overdue for athletes to be compensated in college. For decades everyone else but the athletes have profited from college sports.

This season isn’t lost, neither is next season, and the season after that. Kids from the state of Minnesota will always want to be a Gopher, regardless if they are a 5 star recruit or not. 

Do NCHC teams rely on one and done players? How about Qunnipiac? And how about Umass and Providence? Think they have all done fine in recent memory. Gophers will be fine too. Let’s look forward to the 8th of October! 

Rau4SkiUMah, MikeEruzione11, gopherfun83 and 4 people reacted

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 747

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

All I know is THIS years team is really good and has as good of a shot as anyone to win it all. 

Win it all in St. Paul

"I'm not looking for the best players; I'm looking for the right ones. -Herb Brooks"

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Page 39 / 40