1539 Likes
58.8 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12502
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Let the Gophers early departures and in coming recruit speculation begin.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2214

Faber has signed with the Wild. 3 yr 2.775 mil

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1106

Fully expecting to hear news on departures of Faber, Knies, Cooley soon. Fairly confident Snuggerud returns. You then of course have the senior defense moving on.

Will consider any other returns - including those with a fifth year option - a bonus.

All-around fantastic and entertaining season and hard not to be very bullish on the future of the program. This ending, however, will sting for a long while.

coondog and HandyNotDan reacted
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @bluebandit24

This ending, however, will sting for a long while.

They usually do...unfortunately

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4573
Post on old board: 28736

It will be interesting to see how the Cooley deal plays out.  Arizona only has a couple games left so they likely aren't going sign him now and waste a year...at least I wouldn't not with 2 games to go. 

I think he would be better coming back (and it would be smart out of them) but I have no real belief it will happen.

Good luck to all the players who move on!  You had a helluva season!

GoldyShuffle
(@goldyshuffle)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 28

Out of left field: Bob will resign 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @handyman

It will be interesting to see how the Cooley deal plays out.  Arizona only has a couple games left so they likely aren't going sign him now and waste a year...at least I wouldn't not with 2 games to go. 

I think he would be better coming back (and it would be smart out of them) but I have no real belief it will happen.

If Cooley wants to go, he will sign before the end of the Coyotes season. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Not sure it means anything at all. But worth noting. 

https://twitter.com/jessrmyers/status/1644949165695172608?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @j22

Well that would obviously be his way to go but they don't have to sign him just cause he wants them to.  They will but ultimately they have to give him the deal.  IIRC their last game is the 13th.

If he doesn't sign by then then logic says he us at least considering staying.  Doesn't mean he will just means he hasn't decided completely. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I’ll do his homework for him if that’s the issue ? 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Well that would obviously be his way to go but they don't have to sign him just cause he wants them to.  They will but ultimately they have to give him the deal.  IIRC their last game is the 13th.

If he doesn't sign by then then logic says he us at least considering staying.  Doesn't mean he will just means he hasn't decided completely. 

expectations from their beat writer are talks will at least go into next week. Probably looks like it’s more a toss up than was thought about a month ago

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

What were the thoughts a month ago?

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

If he wants to go, they will sign him. that's how it works with players of that caliber.

I do agree that if he isn't signed in the next couple of days, it's because he's leaning towards coming back

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7391

Posted by: @goldyshuffle

Good luck with that one chief

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Biggest question mark besides Cooley for me is Justen Close. Do they bring him back for a 5th?

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level

@goldyshuffle are you just throwing a random absurd prediction out there, or have you heard something?

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level

@maroon_and_gold absolutely bring back Close if he wants to play another year.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherpete

@goldyshuffle are you just throwing a random absurd prediction out there, or have you heard something?

Don't feed the troll.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

Bob joked about Cooley coming back a few weeks ago. I don’t know if that was the start of it, but there have been more and more hints from people that he’s thinking of staying. Gives me hope, even if it is false hope. 

GopherPete reacted
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level

@handyman just wondering where it was coming from. Of course your favorite poster over at ghole is taking that post and running with it now Grinning

BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1106

If Close wants to return, a no-brainer to welcome him IMO. You solidify goaltending in a year where you turn over a lot in front of him.

I'd still have the odds of Cooley returning as very low but not the 0% it was since day one.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

If he wants to go, they will sign him. that's how it works with players of that caliber.

I do agree that if he isn't signed in the next couple of days, it's because he's leaning towards coming back

Yeah i know that is why I said they would if he said he wanted to.  Weird though since they have all the leverage he can't really do anything if they refuse.  The NHL is weird...

I don't read much into the Jess Meyers tweet on Knies.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

What were the thoughts a month ago?

think pretty much everyone speculated it was a for sure. Now seems it’s a bit more open

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

If I were a betting man I’d bet on Nelson and Brodzinski returning for a 5th year. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Yeah i knowvthat is why I said they would if he said he wanted to.  Weird though since they have all the leverage he can't really do anything if they refuse.  The NHL is weird...

would imagine the Knies stuff is related to money and having guys available. They currently have no salary cap space so I’m sure they have to logistically make it work. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

@handyman just wondering where it was coming from. Of course your favorite poster over at ghole is taking that post and running with it now Grinning

Oh I can only imagine.  bonin is so gullible ? ? 

I mean nothing is impossible but I won't even pretend to buy it unless it comes from a source that isn't a rumor monger who blamed last years period of bad play on team leadership.  The same leadership that lead them to the Frozen Four last year and the Title Game this year. 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @bluebandit24

If Close wants to return, a no-brainer to welcome him IMO. You solidify goaltending in a year where you turn over a lot in front of him.

I'd still have the odds of Cooley returning as very low but not the 0% it was since day one.

think Bob alluded to Close coming back, but would imagine some of that depends on how he feels being in his later 20s still playing with the young guys or if he wants to move on. 

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level

Agreed. And Bob doesn't strike me as someone who would make such a big decision while in an emotional state after losing the big one.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Yeah i knowvthat is why I said they would if he said he wanted to.  Weird though since they have all the leverage he can't really do anything if they refuse.  The NHL is weird...

would imagine the Knies stuff is related to money and having guys available. They currently have no salary cap space so I’m sure they have to logistically make it work. 

Agreed.  Plus it isn't like they need him yet so no rush.  He has time to get everything in order and relax for a bit if he likes.  Been a pleasure watching him for two years Smile

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Special shout-out to Matt Staudacher. Guy had every reason to hit the transfer portal but stayed and red shirted so he could stay a Gopher. I hope he wears a letter next year. 

gopherfun83, coondog, Neely and 5 people reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Yeah i know that is why I said they would if he said he wanted to.  Weird though since they have all the leverage he can't really do anything if they refuse.  The NHL is weird...

The risk/reward just isn't there for Arizona to mess around with the situation.

The Knies situation is a little interesting to me, but I'm guessing it's just Knies doing the classy thing and sticking with his teammates for the night 

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

The risk/reward just isn't there for Arizona to mess around with the situation.

The Knies situation is a little interesting to me, but I'm guessing it's just Knies doing the classy thing and sticking with his teammates for the night 

i think it’ll be an interesting discussion from AZ to Cooley that probably hinges on where they see him slotting. They have to be happy with how he’s developed this year. Clearly he’s still young and on the smaller size, so may also say we want you to develop your 200ft game playing special teams for one more year. That being said, if Cooley insists he wants to go, they’ll be hard pressed to push back much as you allude to

HandyNotDan reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 5547

From what I have viewed from 2014 losing to Union, last year losing to Mankato state this year losing to the Q I think Motzko should get a older team to win a NCAA Championship

Aloha!

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

From what I have viewed from 2014 losing to Union, last year losing to Mankato state this year losing to the Q I think Motzko should get a older team to win a NCAA Championship

He is

gopher6 reacted
Kelor
(@kelor)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 148
Post on old board: 5863

Posted by: @gopher6

I think this team was plenty good enough, and looking at how far Michigan and Minnesota went with their young teams suggest it can be done without going old.   It will be tough to ever see a team this great again.

WPoSforever reacted

GoldyShuffle
(@goldyshuffle)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 28

@handyman 

Their is a funny little inner circle of rube fandom with you and Mg. Sycophantic slobber knockers to the core. It’s kinda cute.

I predicted Cooley committing here a month before it happened publically. I predicted Johnson and the others that came back before it became public. I predicted the people that left before it came public. But yeah, don’t feed the troll.  My source on Bob, is Bob. That good enough for you?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

He’s been making them older bit by bit. Gotta take in the Cooleys and Snuggeruds when they’re available though. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3954
Post on old board: 9428

@handyman 

Their is a funny little inner circle of rube fandom with you and Mg. Sycophantic slobber knockers to the core. It’s kinda cute.

I predicted Cooley committing here a month before it happened publically. I predicted Johnson and the others that came back before it became public. I predicted the people that left before it came public. But yeah, don’t feed the troll.  My source on Bob, is Bob. That good enough for you?

You’re expecting us to believe that Bob Motzko told you, since the end of last nights game, that he is going to quit? Doh’kay…

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Was North Dakota significantly older than this Gopher team when they beat Q years ago? Apples and oranges but Q probably hasn’t changed their philosophy dramatically since then and North Dakota is a blue blood program that can attract high end younger talent. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

@handyman 

MG?  Inner circle?  Slobberknocker?  Are you drunk?  I'm hardly some rube most of the rubes dislike my approach to fandom.  You should pay better attention.

I don't believe a thing you say especially that your source is Bob.  I have been around too long to not see you for what you really are.  I think you can tell which is why you get so butthurt whenever I respond to your stuff.  And no I don't think you are really Papa L. I just say that to get you going. 

If others want to buy it that is cool but you don't pass the smell test. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

He’s been making them older bit by bit. Gotta take in the Cooleys and Snuggeruds when they’re available though. 

Yes and it's not his fault guys like Sorenson left.  Those are the guys who would make the team older.  The portal kind of hurts that. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Was North Dakota significantly older than this Gopher team when they beat Q years ago? Apples and oranges but Q probably hasn’t changed their philosophy dramatically since then and North Dakota is a blue blood program that can attract high end younger talent. 

The Portal was different so it is possible they had a few more vets.

And the age thing is annoying I hated that the announcers used that as an excuse for Michigan and I won't use it for us.  We had plenty of veteran players we were fine. 

upnorthkid, Driftryder, trixR4kids and 1 people reacted

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

@handyman 

MG?  Inner circle?  Slobberknocker?  Are you drunk?  I'm hardly some rube most of the rubes dislike my approach to fandom.  You should pay better attention.

I don't believe a thing you say especially that your source is Bob.  I have been around too long to not see you for what you really are.  I think you can tell which is why you get so butthurt whenever I respond to your stuff.  And no I don't think you are really Papa L. I just say that to get you going. 

If others want to buy it that is cool but you don't pass the smell test. 

This joker thinks everyone likes you…. ? 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

The comments on todays gopher hockey IG posts are a bit salty 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7212
Post on old board: 10120

Handyman:

snoop dogg smile GIF by VH1

?

HandyNotDan reacted
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Posted by: @trixr4kids

The Portal was different so it is possible they had a few more vets.

And the age thing is annoying I hated that the announcers used that as an excuse for Michigan and I won't use it for us.  We had plenty of veteran players we were fine. 

Agreed. Also, lets not forget that the Gophers had them down 2-0 in the 2nd period and then chose to play a very conservative game after that, which in hindsight probably wasn't the best of plans. I truly believe if we would have continued to play like we were in the 1st period we would have won. Then all this "we must get older" talk would be moot. I liked the mix we had on this team.

HandyNotDan reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 588

Why is this type of trolling allowed to go on here? Especially now.  Is this really called for?

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2143

Just the fact that the word “slobberknocker” was used in a sentence is worth the price of admission?

We were heartbroken to wake up to the news this morning.  That said, I’m with Cowgirl and many of you, this year has been a glorious ride.  The teamwork, the skill on the ice, the fans, the excitement.  I’ve enjoyed it all and I want to thank the whole team and all of you for all the fun, all the critiques, all the caring.  Here’s to next season! 

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

coondog, Norm, GopherK2 and 4 people reacted

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @mnstate0fhockey

Why is this type of trolling allowed to go on here? Especially now.  Is this really called for?

Jup is still in Florida so he's not handing out any banhammers right now. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do when he gets back because there is a troll problem like @cowgirl said there would be but he didn't seem too concerned then.

HandyNotDan reacted
Page 1 / 40