1,300 Posts
87 Users
684 Likes
52.3 K Views
JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

2001-2002 hockey season.  Very early on, I already knew that me and my then-wife were hosting the FF for our group of 30 in St. Paul, and my entire family know how nuts we are about Gopher Hockey and have been to the FF every year since 1989.  Around Thanksgiving of that year, my sister announces that she is engaged.

Me:  That's great JL, congrats.  Have you set a date?  Sister:  We're thinking Spring. Me:  Just remember, we are hosting the FF for our friends this year and the Championship game is on 4/6.  Have no idea if the Gophs will be there, but wanted to let you know that it will be a tough day for us.  Sister: we are thinking late April/Early May.  Me:  OK

Fast forward to Christmas of that year - Sister:  We have decided on a date.  It's April 6th, 2002!  Me:  JL, you realize we have 30 people coming to town that we have to host for the tourney that day/night, so If you want us to attend the wedding, it would be better if it was in the early afternoon.  Sister:  OK, thanks.

About two months later...  Sister - The ceremony will be at 5:30pm at this church in South Mpls., with reception after.  Me: (under my breath -  You have to be effing kidding me!!!)  Then out loud - Well, we will likely make the ceremony, but then head over to the game and our friends after.  Sister:  OK, I suppose that's fine.

4/4/02 - We all know what happens that night.  ME:  JL, we will be going to the ceremony and as soon as it's over, we are heading out the door and heading to St. Paul.  No receiving line, no chit chat.  I'm sorry, but that's the way it has to be.  Sister:  Grumble grumble grumble.

4/6/02 - longest non-denominational ceremony in the history of recorded time.  We leave the church about 6:20.  Wife changes as we drive over to leave our car at the old Embassy Suites where we were staying.  I change very quickly in the room and we both RUN like hell to get to the arena.  Make it to our seats just as they finished the player intros and the Anthem starts.  All in all a successful night.

Now I am sure some of you think IATA for playing things this way, and I am just fine with your judgement, but in fairness, I did warn her!!!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Sounds like you got the brains in the family. Gold M 16 Maroon M Small Gold M 16  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4696
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @greyeagle

Sounds like you got the brains in the family. Gold M 16 Maroon M Small Gold M 16  

The sister was sorely lacking, can't speak to the rest of the family, of course.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @joegopher

Now I am sure some of you think IATA for playing things this way, and I am just fine with your judgement, but in fairness, I did warn her!!!

NTA:  You warned her multiple times of the exact date/timing that was important, and set that as an expectation.

Not going go go so far as to say your sister ITA, but she was bumping up against that pretty bad.

(Yes, I read/post in AITA on reddit)

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7732
Post on old board: 35040

Similar situation with my brother. He was getting married, they had a date in mind. Told me at Christmas...well, that was the annual vacation to Houghton in July, the one many of us book a year out. (Then-future) SIL asked, "So, you're not going to make the wedding?" I replied, "Would you skip Sturgis if I was getting married that week?" She didn't say a word, because she knew I had a point. 

Thankfully, the shutdown ended up happening, so they had to delay the date anyways, and I made the wedding. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5706
Post on old board: 16243

@the-rube 

It seems like so many things get planned that weekend. The weekend you guys to the UP is the same weekend I go to the cabin in Montana. #1 reason I've never made the UP trip. Plus, there has been other things come up on the weekend or weekends I'm in Montana... never fails.

Keep your stick on the ice...

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2261

Can Anybody who’s done the frozen four before (or simply been there) comment on Tampa as a location? Debating taking the plunge to go down there this year for my first FF trip that hasn’t been here in the Cities and wondering people’s thoughts. Thanks!

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4644
Post on old board: 28736

Tampa was a lot of fun.  Lots of cool bars around the arena and it isn't too hard to get to Clearwater to go to the nice beaches.  I thought they did a very good job with it.

upnorthkid reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Tampa does a great job hosting.  Plenty of stuff to do in the area

upnorthkid reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12643
Post on old board: 9626

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Can Anybody who’s done the frozen four before (or simply been there) comment on Tampa as a location? Debating taking the plunge to go down there this year for my first FF trip that hasn’t been here in the Cities and wondering people’s thoughts. Thanks!

For the majority of us that go every year, Tampa is our favorite. They are one of the few cities that care that the FF is in town.  Channelside has a bunch of stuff that is a few blocks away from the arena. Hattricks is very popular, and that is also a few blocks away. They have a free trolley that takes you to Ybor City, that is an entertainment district as well. We stay in Brandon, and take the back roads right to downtown. An easy drive. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 525

Tampa has been fantastic for the FF both times.  I expect this will be the same.

upnorthkid reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1243
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @viking

Tampa has been fantastic for the FF both times.  I expect this will be the same.

and then the following year in St.Paul MN to pull off a back to back national champion ! ⭐️?

Aloha!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

From today's media availability

Bob--

Started off talking about the Twins and Correa

He is glad to be back on the road since school hasn't started yet and campus is quiet. 

Need to win the series in the 2nd half

2 guys out of practice today ( illness )

Hasn't had a full team practice since Wisconsin

Talked about how confident the defensemen are.

Sees Pitlick, Huglen and Lamb taking the next step

12 guys have had either the flu or food poisoning. Thought it was food poisoning, but it may be the flu.

Vegoe asked if he learned anything new from watching the world juniors. Bob laughed and said he would tell them after the mics were off.

Farm Kid (Nelson) was up next--

Notre Dame plays similar to St Cloud

Need to come through the neutral zone with speed.

He had the illness, but feels better now.

Said Knies was tired from being sick.

* was suppose to talk to Luke Mittelstadt as well, but the video ended before he showed up.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Bonin Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 1012
Post on old board: 8405

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2614
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @bert

Chicago Bears hire Big Ten's Kevin Warren as president, CEO (espn.com)

Was he rumored to be tBob’s top choice for that third assistant starting next year? If so, at least he’s got some time to find other candidates

Happy New Girl GIF by HULU

Cowgirl reacted
mlhouse
(@mlhouse)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 371

Has anyone set the odds for the underclassmen leaving?

Cooley

Knies

Faber

Snuggerud

I think all of them should stay a year with the exception of Faber.  I expect Knies to leave but I think he should stay one more year to continue his development.   I would not be surprised to see Cooley leave, but just about every other top 5 pick that played NCAA hockey has played two seasons.  

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

1. Faber is a junior

2. Likely all gone except Snuggerud (hope I’m wrong)

3. Enjoy the ride while they’re still here!

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4466

Not breaking any news here but I really want to press for that #1 overall seed in the pairwise.

As of now (yes, tons of things can change), we would play the Atlantic Hockey conference tournament winner that first game of NCAAs. Which is obviously a huge advantage

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2193

@upnorthkid 

A little late to the game but I’ll chime in too.  Tampa was a top notch FF site!  Arena was great and easy to get to.  Lots of hotels but they do fill up, don’t delay too long.  Tampa is overall a huge tourist city, not just for FF.  Big range of hotel prices so start looking.  As others mentioned Ybor City has a free trolley to a very touristy restaurant and bar location.  We ran into fellow GPLers while watching a bar across the street burn to the ground!!?. Ahh, good times.  Waving at you Cowgirl lol. On Friday free day we did a historical house tour and then went to a laidback Cuban restaurant that was sort of a hidden gem, really local not a tourist spot.  I need to check my info as I’ve forgotten the name, plus after all these years not sure if it’s still there.  So I guess I’ll add my vote to GO TO TAMPA!  They really welcomed the hockey crowd and at the Lightening arena you can see the Tesla machine make real lightening inside the arena after each goal.  I’m easily amused.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

Cowgirl reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Not breaking any news here but I really want to press for that #1 overall seed in the pairwise.

As of now (yes, tons of things can change), we would play the Atlantic Hockey conference tournament winner that first game of NCAAs. Which is obviously a huge advantage

The tourney could get really goofy this year. I think it’s very likely the 16, 15 and 14 seeds are taken by the Atlantic, CCHA, and Hockey East tourney winners. Even the 13 seed could get taken by a hot NCHC team or maybe Cornell or Clarkson in the ECAC tourney. Being anywhere around the bubble seems extra dangerous this year. 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1241
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

1. Faber is a junior

BINGO…Faber 110%, Cooley 95%, Knies 85%, Snuggy 45%…

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @bearpaw28

1. Faber is a junior

Probably in a minority here, but both Cooley and Snuggerud could stand to be a year older and stronger before plying their wares in the NHL.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @streakygopher
Probably in a minority here, but both Cooley and Snuggerud could stand to be a year older and stronger before plying their wares in the NHL.

No disagreement here.

Both are young 18 year olds.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

1. Faber is a junior

He probably could use a 2nd year…but as the 3rd overall pick (and he’s having a good year) not likely he stays…a long shot…at best. 

Any Road
(@any-road)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 444

The Frozen Four is in St Paul next year. If there ever is a reason for players to stay an extra year, even though they are nhl ready, it would be to try to win a national championship at Xcel. Especially, for a guy like Faber who grew up dreaming about leading the Gophs to a championship. It truly would be a once an a life time opportunity that may prove to be too hard to resist. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4056
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @any-road

The Frozen Four is in St Paul next year. If there ever is a reason for players to stay an extra year, even though they are nhl ready, it would be to try to win a national championship at Xcel. Especially, for a guy like Faber who grew up dreaming about leading the Gophs to a championship. It truly would be a once an a life time opportunity that may prove to be too hard to resist. 

Oh he’ll be playing at the X but it won’t be in a Gopher jersey. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

This is his extra year

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah I think the only one who might come back is Snuggy but I am not sure the odds are very good on that either.  He is already a point per game player (better than that but just saying) and if the Blues want him I am not sure there is a reason for him to say no.  Knies is a sophomore he is gone and Cooley has no real reason to stay unless he has a desire to make a run for Hobey and a title or something like that.  He is the #3 pick and it is conceivable he could have a 50 point season as a frosh.  I don't see the Yotes waiting...

But then none of us know.  Maybe there is an incoming player they want to play with or maybe they have no desire to play for the team that drafted them.  If we can get any of them back though look out.

(it is ridiculous how good that line is)

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Snuggy won’t leave. The Blues have a long history of actually letting their prospects develop and having it pan out. Crazy thought I know. Plus dad won’t let him one and done?. Also Jimmy himself realizes the importance of wearing the M. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5210

Snuggerud could use another year improving his skating and getting a little tougher along the boards. He clearly has the vision and shot down. 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

You’re LITERALLY flowering your nuts thinking Faber won’t sign at Gophers seasons end. He will be in the Wild lineup yet this season…100%.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7113
Post on old board: 18942

1. Faber is a junior

Agreed on Faber, but I would put Knies higher than Cooley. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

1. Faber is a junior

You are definitely not in the minority. Both should stay another year, but I highly doubt Cooley comes back. I do think there is something to Snuggerud's family ties having some credence to staying another season. Plus, in my opinion he needs to get stronger.

Faber and Knies are both NHL ready with the way they play. Big, strong, fast, and smart players. They are gone after we raise the banner this year MG M  

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

For the record I think every one of them could use another year but realistically I just don't see it.  But stranger things have happened...

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

For all the coming vs staying, the freshman it depends on when they want to start the clock on their rookie deal. Absolutely could see them telling Cooley (and Snuggy) to stay in college and get first line minutes given the Yotes aren’t contending and Snuggy ain’t near top 6 ready

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

to everyone who posted about Tampa, thank you. Definitely sounds like I’ll be taking the trip. Hopefully see some of y’all down there!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5706
Post on old board: 16243

to everyone who posted about Tampa, thank you. Definitely sounds like I’ll be taking the trip. Hopefully see some of y’all down there!

More importantly the Gophers as well!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

gopher6 reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

Halfway through the season and it feels like Pino is still trying to find his place. I don’t doubt the effort and I certainly don’t want to tear the kid down. But it feels like most of the freshman are contributing something to differing degrees. Would like to see Kurth score more but he’s popped in a few goals. Strobel hasn’t scored yet but he’s a big body and knows his role. J. Mittlestadt has an engine and is tenacious for the puck. Have to remind myself that they’re all just freshman and everyone takes longer to get there but it feels like it just isn’t quite clicking for Pino yet. What are people’s thoughts? 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Pino is struggling big time, and unfortunately I don’t see a ton to make me think it’ll change.

I’m very high on Kurth even though he isn’t scoring a ton, I love his game.

Strobel and Mittelstadt are good hockey players that know their roles. No issues with them.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I was always a bit skeptical on some of the peoples expectations on Pino's potential this year. Having seen him play at Sioux Falls the past couple of years, he really never stood out. Maybe he is still trying to get back to 100% after being injured last year in the USHL. I'm giving him a pass this year, and maybe he will develop like Nevers did, as Mason did not have a great freshman year either. I hope he ends up being a solid contributor on the bottom 6 in the next couple of years. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Halfway through the season and it feels like Pino is still trying to find his place. I don’t doubt the effort and I certainly don’t want to tear the kid down. But it feels like most of the freshman are contributing something to differing degrees. Would like to see Kurth score more but he’s popped in a few goals. Strobel hasn’t scored yet but he’s a big body and knows his role. J. Mittlestadt has an engine and is tenacious for the puck. Have to remind myself that they’re all just freshman and everyone takes longer to get there but it feels like it just isn’t quite clicking for Pino yet. What are people’s thoughts? 

I feel like Pino is skating below the curve for this time of year. I'm not sure if ND was creating a mismatch on lines, but whenever our fourth line was out there, it felt like they were trying awfully hard to just play even.

Great teams have enough depth to get an unexpected goal from deep into the line up. The Gophers haven't had trouble scoring goals, these past few series not withstanding, but the fourth line is lacking in that department right now.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

We’re getting to that time of year when if your best players are available then that’s who you put out. I personally feel much more comfortable with a fourth line of Strobel-J. Mittlestadt-Kurth/Lamb and I don’t think I’m in minority there. I feel for Pinoniemi, I really do. He’s not in a fun position right now. But down the stretch you’ve got to put your strongest lineup out there if everyone’s available. Unfortunately for Pino, I don’t he’s in that lineup. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

As the biggest Pino supporter on this board I agree. Strobel and Mittelstadt are too effective in their roles to keep out of the lineup. Pino has been too invisible out there but I still have high hopes for his career here. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1160
Post on old board: 6069

The fourth line doesn’t have much of an identity. Rarely they sustain a forecheck. More times they get caught in their own zone. They don’t hit much. Don’t score much. They need to find something they do well and stick with it. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

The problem is Mittelstadt and Strobel are heart and soul role guys while Kurth and Pino are skill guys. Kind of a contrast of styles. Although I will admit John Mittelstadt has shown more skill than I expected this year. Pleasant surprise. 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1994
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @snowcool08

The fourth line doesn’t have much of an identity. Rarely they sustain a forecheck. More times they get caught in their own zone. They don’t hit much. Don’t score much. They need to find something they do well and stick with it. 

That's what I see as well. None of Strobel, Pinoniemi, or Mittlestadt have been terrible, but I don't think any of them have done enough to be locked into the lineup. Considering that all 3 are freshmen, I don't really see a reason to stop rotating them into the lineup.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7113
Post on old board: 18942

It seems like every year the 4th line is discussed and mostly not in a positive way.  I wonder realistically how often a 4th line on this team (or any NCAA team) has performed to the level of expectations we often see? 

This is not me saying there isn't room for improvement nor that it's not something that can be critiqued. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7732
Post on old board: 35040

Dumb question, but how many teams roll a 4th line on a regular basis? 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

It seems like every year the 4th line is discussed and mostly not in a positive way.  I wonder realistically how often a 4th line on this team (or any NCAA team) has performed to the level of expectations we often see? 

This is not me saying there isn't room for improvement nor that it's not something that can be critiqued. 

You must not remember Norman-Romanko-Ramsey?

Best 4th line there ever was!

trixR4kids reacted
Page 8 / 26