684 Likes
51.8 K Views
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5627
Post on old board: 16243

@maroon_and_gold 

Romanko might be in my Top 10 for all time fav. Gophers.

Keep your stick on the ice...

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2600
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @gator

@maroon_and_gold 

Romanko might be in my Top 10 for all time fav. Gophers.

Upon entering the offensive zone he'd make so many circles he should have been wearing tights.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@streakygopher 

Do you have first hand experiences skating in circles and wearing tights?!?!?!

j/k... 😉

Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 399

I don't think Pino lasts long here, he's not a Gopher quality player. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7421

Posted by: @jaykay3

Disagree. But we’ll see I guess. 

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

Seems like the majority of people commenting about Pino have basically the same opinion, but there are a few people supporting him or suggesting he belongs. I haven't seen much from him to suggest he can play at this level. But I am curious for those who support him, what do you base that on? I haven't really followed him coming into this year, so is it past success at lower levels that has you optimistic, or what exactly is it? Just trying to get a better idea and see a different perspective.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4613
Post on old board: 10695

I have to say, I haven't seen anything out of Pino so far this year, either good or bad.

I honestly don't know, has he not been getting any icetime?  Or is he so unremarkable that I just haven't noticed him?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Disagree. But we’ll see I guess. 

Yeah I’m certainly not advocating for the kid to leave. Someone else mentioned Nevers and his path to where he’s at now. It takes different guys different routes to find their spot. I don’t doubt his effort and I hope he can find his role and eventually excel in it. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

Posted by: @steve-mn

I have to say, I haven't seen anything out of Pino so far this year, either good or bad.

I honestly don't know, has he not been getting any icetime?  Or is he so unremarkable that I just haven't noticed him?

Some of both but mostly the latter. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4384

I would tend to agree.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12563
Post on old board: 9626

The Athletic's Corey Pronman ranks his top 150 U23 hockey players (including current NHLers). Here are the Gophers on the list--

#17-- Cooley

#53-- Snuggy

#59-- Knies

#70-- Faber

#129-- LaCombe

Chesley was on the list last year, but dropped off.

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1615324517022470145

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @gopherpete

Seems like the majority of people commenting about Pino have basically the same opinion, but there are a few people supporting him or suggesting he belongs. I haven't seen much from him to suggest he can play at this level. But I am curious for those who support him, what do you base that on? I haven't really followed him coming into this year, so is it past success at lower levels that has you optimistic, or what exactly is it? Just trying to get a better idea and see a different perspective.

Was a huge recruiting get when Bob flipped him from St. Cloud. Played in the 2019 All-American game with Zegras, Caufield, Hughes, Boldy, etc. (as well as Koster, Huglen, Brinkman). Was a miracle he didn’t get selected in the NHL draft (was projected to be a 4th rounder). Led his USHL team in scoring before a season ending injury last year. In the 2020-21 season he was tasked with centering first round pick Owen Silinger. 

High ceiling but clearly needs time to acclimate to the college game. 

Greyeagle reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

He’s been very invisible all year but player development is a thing that exists. I’m not ready to give up on him this early at least. 

Greyeagle reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I'm certainly not going to give up on Pino. I'm sure missing a huge chuck of last year stunted his development. I don't ever see him as a top 6 guy, but hope he grows into a bottom 6 role. A full off season with the athletic trainers will be a huge benefit to him. The Gophers need worker bees and 4 year guys, so I hope he slides into that role.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

He’s been very invisible all year but player development is a thing that exists. I’m not ready to give up on him this early at least. 

I'm not giving up on him yet.  I'd love to see how much ice time he's been actually getting.  He's currently -2 on the season (ahead of Kurth and Stobel at -3), so that's not good, but for a freshman, if I can't say I've seen anything bad out of him, I'd definitely think giving him another year before making up my mind is in order.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1615389423163539468

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Cooley

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/01/17_Cooley-Focused-on-Title-With.php

Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

WAY too early to judge Pino on limited playing time. I personally think he will be fine and I trust Coach Motkzo's judgement

wincav and Jupiter ♃ reacted
ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 196

Posted by: @slap-shot

It seems like every year the 4th line is discussed and mostly not in a positive way.  I wonder realistically how often a 4th line on this team (or any NCAA team) has performed to the level of expectations we often see? 

This is not me saying there isn't room for improvement nor that it's not something that can be critiqued. 

My standard is Larry Olimb centering and then having Jon Anderson get a hat trick in the FF semifinal.  It might be a bit too high of a standard Smile

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1615790985409077249

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Fourth line has been fine, the nice thing is they have different guys they can slot in to keep people motivated. Pino is a bit invisible but you could’ve probably said the same about Jaxson Nelson a few years ago, he’s an older guy who should be more of a menace by year four. 

I’d like to see more consistency from Pitlick and Huglen, I feel like they haven’t hit that extra gear that we’ve seen them get to in the past. 

Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 399

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Fourth line has been fine, the nice thing is they have different guys they can slot in to keep people motivated. Pino is a bit invisible but you could’ve probably said the same about Jaxson Nelson a few years ago, he’s an older guy who should be more of a menace by year four. 

I’d like to see more consistency from Pitlick and Huglen, I feel like they haven’t hit that extra gear that we’ve seen them get to in the past. 

Pino is a year younger than Nelson right now. I think people are forgetting that he's already 21 and played 3 years in the USHL.  

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

We are planning on going, so I really hope this Gophers championship prediction comes true!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Knies is now on the Hobey voting list

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

According to who or what?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

According to who or what?

He is now listed on the Hobey page for someone to vote for.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Nice catch, thanks for heads up! Well deserved for Knies. Just went and voted for him.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7222
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Nice catch, thanks for heads up! Well deserved for Knies. Just went and voted for him.

it appears you have to create an account to vote - do they still require going through a social media account on top of that to cast a vote? 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

it appears you have to create an account to vote - do they still require going through a social media account on top of that to cast a vote? 

No. I signed up through my email address.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

grothm01
(@grothm01)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 244

Can you only vote once?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

@grothm01 Once per day

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7523

Any information on why he wasn't part of the original list? 

Last week I counted 82 on the list and now I count 85 so apparently there was very few adds. Anybody not on the original list would seem to be at a disadvantage since everybody else had additional days to get votes.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@collegehockeyaddict 

Larceny is my working theory 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Any information on why he wasn't part of the original list? He is at a disadvantage since everybody else had multiple extra days to get votes.

Fan voting is just 1% of the formula. The top 10 is made up of the committee votes. The main thing is now that he is on the initial list he can now make the top 10.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7523

Yeah since fan voting is only 1% it's likely not a big deal and I'm not really trying to make it a big deal just curious why the list went from 82 players to 85 players.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

The Michigan thread got locked before I could comment on SUML's post.

I see 5 GPLers for sure in that picture, and I don't think that the young Michigan fan was there Saturday night (wasn't paying that close of attention, but I don't recall seeing him there)

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1617926269366317059

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

LaCombe is sitting at 89 career points. He could hit 100.  He would become the 1st 100 point defenseman since Ballard.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2563
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @frozen4champs

LaCombe is sitting at 89 career points. He could hit 100.  He would become the 1st 100 point defenseman since Ballard.

Because I’m always curious, here’s the 100 point list.  The defensemen I’m seeing are Todd Richards, Mike Crowley, Jordan Leopold, Travis Richards, Dan Trebil, Bill Baker, Gary Shopek, Tony Kellin, Chris Harrington, Joe Micheletti, Les Auge and Keith Ballard. Some of the guys before my time might have been defensemen also. I’m too lazy to check.

Greyeagle reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10508
Post on old board: 21741

Solid memory!  If my memory serves Olimb played significant parts of two seasons at defense so it's hard to classify him as one or the other.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6983
Post on old board: 18942

Yeah but Harrington sucked.  ? ? 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Briefly looking over the list. Some goals to assists differential caught my eye.

Larry Olimb: 59/159 (100) in 4 yrs.

Todd Richards: 30/128 (98) in 4 yrs.

Mike Crowley: 37/120 (83) in 3 yrs. Just for @jupiter

Neal Broten: 38/104 (66) in 2 yrs.

Dan Trebil: 24/100 (76) in 3 yrs.

Chris Harrington: 14/95 (81) in 4 yrs.

Eric Vegoe reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I completely missed on Harrington. I looked up a bunch of defensemen through the years and for some reason not him. Cade Fairchild came close. He had 92 points. 

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2563
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @greyeagle

Solid memory!  If my memory serves Olimb played significant parts of two seasons at defense so it's hard to classify him as one or the other.

Yes, I was going to put in a disclaimer of sorts for Larry, but after I got done typing the list I kind of though “finally” and clicked “add reply”. Kind of surprised Reed Larson didn’t make it to 100.

Greyeagle reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Boy did he ever take a lot of flack.

gator reacted
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1203

Posted by: @bertogliat

Boy did he ever take a lot of flack.

Some of it was probably earned, but IMO, he was largely unduly criticized. He had the unfortunate honor of being the team's top defenseman in the years immediately following Leopold, Martin, Ballard, etc. Those are some pretty tough skates to fill.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4588
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I completely missed on Harrington. I looked up a bunch of defensemen through the years and for some reason not him. Cade Fairchild came close. He had 92 points. 

Cade was another who took a lot of flack...

Harrington also I believe played with Goligoski which didn't help.  He was very good just not a top pairing type and we had been so spoiled. 

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1999

Posted by: @iceburg

Posted by: @greyeagle

Yes, I was going to put in a disclaimer of sorts for Larry, but after I got done typing the list I kind of though “finally” and clicked “add reply”. Kind of surprised Reed Larson didn’t make it to 100.

Reed had 95 points in 2.5 years. My memory is fading, but it seems like something unusual happened halfway through his Jr season. I'm thinking he got in trouble for talking to the pros, so he quit school and went pro. I could be wrong though.

Page 9 / 26