330 Likes
27.8 K Views
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7442

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Snuggerud, Moore, Brodzinski, Nelson, Nevers, Kurth, Huglen, Pitlick, Lamb. Did I miss anyone? I don’t think Clark gets there this year. Or any D. Will have plenty of scoring depth?

Your list is what I was thinking, and as someone else mentioned Koster/Mittelstadt could be another. I think a couple of keys for me is-- Snuggy and Brodzinski need to get 20+. Also, we need a couple of 15+ to make up for the loss of Knies and Cooley with the rest being around 10+. It will be interesting to see what Rinzel and Chesley do offensively this year. Chesley had about the same number of points as LaCombe did as a freshman. 

If LaCombe couldn’t get to 10 I don’t see Koster or Mittelstadt getting there. As far as Chesley, I don’t count anyone out after watching Nate Schmidt’s sophomore year explosion lol

ReplyQuote
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 195

There's still a chunk of the core that was here when this team had literally no one else past Sam Rossini rejoining the team to call upon. 

If we find ourselves in that type of situation then there may be trouble sure. But I don't foresee such an event. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12628
Post on old board: 9626

Snuggerud, Moore, Brodzinski, Nelson, Nevers, Kurth, Huglen, Pitlick, Lamb. Did I miss anyone? I don’t think Clark gets there this year. Or any D. Will have plenty of scoring depth?

Your list is what I was thinking, and as someone else mentioned Koster/Mittelstadt could be another. I think a couple of keys for me is-- Snuggy and Brodzinski need to get 20+. Also, we need a couple of 15+ to make up for the loss of Knies and Cooley with the rest being around 10+. It will be interesting to see what Rinzel and Chesley do offensively this year. Chesley had about the same number of points as LaCombe did as a freshman. 

If LaCombe couldn’t get to 10 I don’t see Koster or Mittelstadt getting there. As far as Chesley, I don’t count anyone out after watching Nate Schmidt’s sophomore year explosion lol

I'm just trying to be overly optimistic ? 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 286

I'm just trying to be overly optimistic ? 

I didn't know that was allowed for MN Sports fans?

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1967
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @boosker14

Posted by: @j22

Having a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners doesn't make you a deep team.

Yeah this is nuts man I'm not gonna change your mind on this but this team has scoring depth up and down the forward group and has a number of guys that can AND HAVE stepped up when needed. Hell, the production for this team in the playoffs came from your "2nd/3rd liners" you'd probably rattle off if I asked you to list them. 

How many guys on the roster would you consider 1st line caliber players?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7053
Post on old board: 18942

Yeah this is nuts man I'm not gonna change your mind on this but this team has scoring depth up and down the forward group and has a number of guys that can AND HAVE stepped up when needed. Hell, the production for this team in the playoffs came from your "2nd/3rd liners" you'd probably rattle off if I asked you to list them. 

I doubt most people would answer that in the context of using it to define depth. 99% of the country doesn't have several first line players and relying on 1 line has never been the definition of depth. 

ReplyQuote
Go4birdvowel
(@go4birdvowel)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 224

I think L. Mittelstadt could put up 10+ goals, especially with Koster out for a while. He scored 19 in the USHL, which was 3rd for defensemen and the same as Lamb in a couple less games.

ReplyQuote

Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

I doubt most people would answer that in the context of using it to define depth. 99% of the country doesn't have several first line players and relying on 1 line has never been the definition of depth. 

I guess I sort of look at depth 2 ways;

Scoring Depth (mostly forwards); How much does each line produce?  Do you rely on four first line for a big part of your scoring?  I think Gophers are pretty good here, with 3 lines that should be able to contribute fairly regularly.

Overall depth for injuries; There is a clear drop off after line 3 for forwards and could really be an issue if 2 or 3 forwards to go down at same time given how few they have. 

Defense also has noticeably less depth than last year, when they had probably one of the most talented and deepest D corps to have played college hockey. Koster, as the 4th best D, would probably have been on the top D pairing for most teams last year.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1212
Post on old board: 6912

The Gophers will have a strong team this year. But based on top end talent & veteran defenseman…last year was the most talented & experienced team they’ve put on the ice since 02-03…last year WAS the year to win an NCAA title, which they nearly did. This year, when you lose 3 players (early) who will be playing a regular shift in the NHL this season, that’s a blow. Fortunately they have Nelson, Brodz & Close coming back as 5th year seniors. Snuggy is clearly a 1st line player. After him, lots on 2nd line caliber players… 

ReplyQuote
Jaykay3
(@jaykay3)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 399

Posted by: @bearpaw28

The Gophers will have a strong team this year. But based on top end talent & veteran defenseman…last year was the most talented & experienced team they’ve put on the ice since 02-03…last year WAS the year to win an NCAA title, which they nearly did. This year, when you lose 3 players (early) who will be playing a regular shift in the NHL this season, that’s a blow. Fortunately they have Nelson, Brodz & Close coming back as 5th year seniors. Snuggy is clearly a 1st line player. After him, lots on 2nd line caliber players… 

Agree with this. I think people here are overrating this team a little bit.

Last year I believe they were the best team in the country, this year they're probably a top 5/top 10 team. The beauty of single elimination is the best team doesn't always win so there's a chance, but I don't have nearly the same expectations as last year. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @jaykay3

Last year I believe they were the best team in the country, this year they're probably a top 5/top 10 team. The beauty of single elimination is the best team doesn't always win so there's a chance, but I don't have nearly the same expectations as last year. 

You might be underrating this team a bit. There’s a chance they don’t skip a beat on offense (early on might make that take look bad but I think it’ll even out by the end of the year). And I believe they’re the only top 10 team from last year to return their goalie which is a huge deal. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Koho
 Koho
(@koho)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @jaykay3

You might be underrating this team a bit. There’s a chance they don’t skip a beat on offense (early on might make that take look bad but I think it’ll even out by the end of the year). And I believe they’re the only top 10 team from last year to return their goalie which is a huge deal. 

I think the biggest loss from last year is the defense.  That was a phenomenal D corp.  This year's should be good to very good, depending on how the 1st and 2nd year guys progress and adapt (once Koster returns).  On offense, I feel there is a lot of scoring depth, but probably not the one line that was often unstoppable and could single-handedly turn a game. (That was probably the 2nd best line I can ever remember for the Gophs and maybe 2nd or 3rd best I can recall in college hockey - given I mostly recall Gophs and WCHA teams.) We'll have to see if Snuggy can take another step without Cooley and Knies setting him up and if Moore can jump right in). So I would have to agree that last year they were the most talented team in the country and this year they can be one of a top few teams, which always means you have a shot, but I don't see them as THE favorite. (That is what made the end of last year so tough. Those teams don't come along very often. And with Cooley leaving late, then Eiserman decommit and so far no huge splash in this year's recruiting, the loss last year seems like an even bigger missed opportunity now and makes me want it all the more this year.)  

ReplyQuote
Any Road
(@any-road)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 444

I look at Pitlick and Huglen as two forwards that are key this season. Especially, Huglen who last year generated so many offensive  chances, but he and his linemates never seemed to be able to fully capitalize on them. Perhaps put Huglen between Snuggy and Moore. I am not really in the business of trying to figure out if this years team is underrated or overrated going into the season. I just hope the boys have a good strong first period against Bemidji. Then build from there. 

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Agreed. I’ve cut Huglen some slack as an underclassmen cause he was so nasty and it felt like he just wasn’t getting the bounces. Pucks have to go in this year.

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Days

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10567
Post on old board: 21741

Days

Factor

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Technically next year, but will put here.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1709252336420282450

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5175

T-Mobile would have been great, but I assume there’s attendance concerns. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Does this mean that the Gophers get an extra 2 games on the schedule or isn't that rule in affect anymore?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3949
Post on old board: 12555

Not an ideal selection of teams, but it is Vegas.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4437

Does this mean that the Gophers get an extra 2 games on the schedule or isn't that rule in affect anymore?

I could be wrong, but I thought this was only the Hockey Hall of Fame game or games played in Alaska.

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 842
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I could be wrong, but I thought this was only the Hockey Hall of Fame game or games played in Alaska.

Unless it's recently changed it includes the ice breaker as well.  Guessing Minnesota wouldn't have agreed to do this unless it allowed them to get an extra home series in there somewhere.  

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4437

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Unless it's recently changed it includes the ice breaker as well.  Guessing Minnesota wouldn't have agreed to do this unless it allowed them to get an extra home series in there somewhere.  

That is awesome then. No brainer to do it.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5654
Post on old board: 16243

That is awesome then. No brainer to do it.

Yep... Called my wife her told her we are doing this. She's never been to Vegas, it'll be our fall get away weekend instead of Duluth and a Gopher Hockey road trip. Got to keep the streak going, I've been on at least one road trip every years since 1999.   

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
USHANABI
(@ushanabi)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 187

Where will the two extra games fit in and against which team?

Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . .
Knowing what to do, they sometime don't do it . . .
The 26th year of the Gopher Men's Hockey Profile got to be too much for this ol' codger to handle . . . what with all of the possible activity on the transfer portal . . . . So, I'm closing it down at the 25th year . . .

ReplyQuote
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 138

Vegas thing is cool for sure.  Back to actual hockey talk.... Any thoughts on whether Bob would actually break up a hugely impactful line of Nevers, Brodzi, and Nelson?  Info indicates 22 has taken big strides in the speed category but realistically that gets him to EVEN with most players not ahead.  Nevers is quick and feisty and IMHO Nelson is WAY underrated in the speed and offensive upside category.  Ask his teammates.  He is deceptively fast and has great hands.  He has always played the role of defensive offense partly due to his size and the crazy talent on the team.  Doesn't mean he can't produce.  Point a game in the playoffs.  So much talent, just sort of feel like he has been very undervalued for what he brings to the table.  Things that are tough to find.  I think the team is stacked again as much or more than others and can't wait!!!

ReplyQuote
BlueBandit24
(@bluebandit24)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1111

Posted by: @mg-since-forever
Any thoughts on whether Bob would actually break up a hugely impactful line of Nevers, Brodzi, and Nelson?

It is easy to just line them up again - and I am sure it is an option - but chemistry can be fickle. The Flynn/Carman/Lucia line never quite clicked again like they did as freshmen. Would not be surprised if we saw different variations, especially if Brodzinski is moving better than he has before.

ReplyQuote
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Lucia Level

Fair point.  22 has an awesome shot and nose for the net, but he is not the guy to carry or go get the puck ( at least in the past).  It is beautiful that we have so many potential combinations.  With the team we have 22 has his role but will never in my opinion be the 'get the puck guy'.  He is the SHOOT the puck guy which every team needs.  I just remain a fan of the line from last year where they all seemed to play to their strength.  Although both Nelson and Nevers could probably score more if they aren't digging and always rolling back to cover D.  We shall see! Can't lose Nelly on the dot though

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@mg-since-forever 

That’s why I feel like 22 with Snuggerud is a bit of an odd move by Bob. Two players with probably the biggest appetite for shooting pucks on the team. Doesn’t seem like there’s enough rubber to go around if they were on the same line. Time will tell. Maybe they both score 25 and make me look stupid.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

As long as the other lines don't lack for shooters I don't have a problem with it. If anything it keeps the opposing D and G on their heels not being able to guess where a shot is more likely to come from in certain situations, and I've rarely seen a line be criticized for shooting too much. 

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I have a hard time believing that Brodzinski got that much faster in his fifth season. 

ReplyQuote
USHANABI
(@ushanabi)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 187

Wasn't certain where to put this . . . ?

Happened to see it while searching for surreptitious video / audio capture devices ( due to some strange fixtures on the ceiling in my room here and a sign near one of the offices which announced "video and audio devices are recording throughout the building for your protection" ).

Video Analysis and Player Development Plan

At any rate, what if the "software" behind this ad is not so overburdensome ( size and cost, etc. ) that some 10,000 fans ( or 19,000 fans in the big games ) could be zeroing in "surreptitiously" with their iPhone or Androids ( or what have you ) and reporting on a sub-reddit somewhere in the black hole of the internet ( similar to the "dark pools" that the large banks utilize in their financial games ) every "heat map", "tick," etc., for every player that hits the ice?

Seems like it could be the "Money Ball" of the entire hockey world . . . .

Food for thought and discussion ( que "somewhere, over the rainbow" )?

Over and out for now . . . 

And, Go Gophers!

Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . .
Knowing what to do, they sometime don't do it . . .
The 26th year of the Gopher Men's Hockey Profile got to be too much for this ol' codger to handle . . . what with all of the possible activity on the transfer portal . . . . So, I'm closing it down at the 25th year . . .

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Days

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1212
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @trixr4kids

I have a hard time believing that Brodzinski got that much faster in his fifth season. 

The home ice surface getting smaller will help Brodz, evidently he’s cut some weight & is moving better. No reason not to tinker with the lines in the early going (considering Snuggy lost both of his line mates). 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Days

Top Hat Money GIF by Millions

Zwak, Cowgirl, Jupiter ♃ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2614
Post on old board: 15478

@mg-since-forever 

That’s why I feel like 22 with Snuggerud is a bit of an odd move by Bob. Two players with probably the biggest appetite for shooting pucks on the team. Doesn’t seem like there’s enough rubber to go around if they were on the same line. Time will tell. Maybe they both score 25 and make me look stupid.

During his Media Day interview, Brodz said that he wants to start dishing pucks to his linemates. I would agree a smaller sheet will help his game.

ReplyQuote
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Wondering what others think of our D situation this season?  Clicking on all cylinders by March? Or are we going to struggle a bit this season on the backend?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4607
Post on old board: 28736

Days

Top Hat Money GIF by Millions

th GIF

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1297

Posted by: @mg-since-forever

Vegas thing is cool for sure.  Back to actual hockey talk.... Any thoughts on whether Bob would actually break up a hugely impactful line of Nevers, Brodzi, and Nelson?  Info indicates 22 has taken big strides in the speed category but realistically that gets him to EVEN with most players not ahead.  Nevers is quick and feisty and IMHO Nelson is WAY underrated in the speed and offensive upside category.  Ask his teammates.  He is deceptively fast and has great hands.  He has always played the role of defensive offense partly due to his size and the crazy talent on the team.  Doesn't mean he can't produce.  Point a game in the playoffs.  So much talent, just sort of feel like he has been very undervalued for what he brings to the table.  Things that are tough to find.  I think the team is stacked again as much or more than others and can't wait!!!

I've seen them skate four times the past couple weeks I haven't seen 18-24-22 together at any of the practices. They could always go back to it, but it certainly feels like Motzko wants to try out some combinations.

Motzko always talks about having pairs of guys who stick together.

I've seen Moore and Snuggerud together a couple times, Nelson and Nevers together couple times, Lamb and Pitlick together.

PP groups I saw this week... Moore/Snuggerud/Kurth/Lamb/Rinzel and Pitlick/Nelson/Brodzinksi/Nevers/Mittelstadt -- this group also had Clark and Strobel work in for part of the practice.

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10567
Post on old board: 21741

If memory serves Bob can be a bit of a mad scientist early in the season.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Boosker
(@boosker14)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 195

Posted by: @driftryder

Wondering what others think of our D situation this season?

Early on I think there will be some struggles there with Koster out. But once he's back I think you have good enough "vets" to keep things from getting too out of hand while the younger guys figure things out. 

You're gonna put some young guys in elevated roles I think pretty quickly. That'll lead to hiccups. But I think they'll figure it out. 

Driftryder reacted
ReplyQuote
MarkHockey
(@markhockey)
Rep Pts: 3

Can a guy get some predicted line combos?

Super appreciated....let's go!  Excited to get the puck dropped.

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@markhockey 

Based on what’s being reported:

Brodzinski-Moore-Snuggerud

Pitlick-Huglen-Lamb

Nevers-Nelson-Kurth

Pinoniemi-Clark-Mittelstadt

All 7 D not named Mike Koster in any combination 

Close

Wiese

(Airey hurt)

ReplyQuote
MG since forever
(@mg-since-forever)
Lucia Level

Yikes.  Not what I would have predicted but whatever works I guess.  Third line seems a little heavy on the playmakers and light on the shooters but I am not there for what the guys have been showing so far.  Could be a great formula

ReplyQuote
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

@markhockey 

Based on what’s being reported:

Brodzinski-Moore-Snuggerud

Pitlick-Huglen-Lamb

Nevers-Nelson-Kurth

Pinoniemi-Clark-Mittelstadt

All 7 D not named Mike Koster in any combination 

Close

Wiese

(Airey hurt)

Hopefully Strobel gets more ice time this year as well.

ReplyQuote
Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

Excited to see what this years team will bring. Last season was really fun to watch with all that talent and how they got better as the season went along. It felt like "Gopher Hockey" again to me. Wasn't the ending we all had hoped for but I did personally enjoy the ride...

trixR4kids reacted
ReplyQuote
maddie
(@maddie)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 71

apologize if posting in the wrong thread......looking to buy 2 tickets for the 10/27 game v. Badgers....pls reply here, send PM or text to 317-698-5689

thanks!

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Are they teasing something?

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1710309177778692138

ReplyQuote
rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Are they teasing something?

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1710309177778692138

100%

IALTO

ReplyQuote

Gopherguy05