College Hockey: 202...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


College Hockey: 2024-25 Season

1,359 Posts
92 Users
425 Reactions
70 K Views
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 

BU Goalie wraps both hands around a Cornell player's head to spin him around... and of course no call.  Get it consistent refs.  I don't think that should have been called, but if you're going to call that earlier facemask, you've gotta call this too, goalie or not.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 4:29 pm
coondog
(@coondog)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 82
Rep Pts: 217
 

@steve-mn Or at least the after the whistle cross check.  

Forgive me, I hate BU.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 4:32 pm
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 

I hate BU and I LOATHE Mike Schafer, so, you can tell my true "favorite" for this game would be a meteor strike on the arena, but, I'm so completely fed up with the BS inconsistent calls from refs that I'll happily call them out, too.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 4:37 pm
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 874
Rep Pts: 1735
 

That was significantly less of a hold than what the BU goalie did. Refs are subpar all around


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 4:40 pm
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 

At least these refs know how to call a trip that leads to an immediate turnover.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:16 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

Hell of a finish brewing in Toledo 


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:23 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

Posted by: @steve-mn
↑

At least these refs know how to call a trip that leads to an immediate turnover.

Correct. At least in this game we have evidence that they have a pulse. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:24 pm
CRS
 CRS
(@crs)
Lucia Level Golden
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 71
Rep Pts: 171
 

Go Big Red. Send your coach out on a high note!


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:30 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

Posted by: @crs
↑

Go Big Red. Send your coach out on a high note!

Funny. I’m kind of cheering for them in spite of this. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:32 pm
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 

Posted by: @karlsson
↑

Posted by: @crs
↑

Go Big Red. Send your coach out on a high note!

Funny. I’m kind of cheering for them in spite of this. 

I'm kind of cheering for Cornell, and very MUCH in spite of it being Shafer's last season.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:35 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

Can the ESPN intermission report add one more guy to the mix so 4 of them can all talk at the same time? Good grief 


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 5:40 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

BU back to the FF. If it’s BU, BC, Umass and UConn I may die


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 6:04 pm



streaky gopher
(@streakygopher)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1530
Rep Pts: 4750
Post on old board: 15478
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

BU back to the FF. If it’s BU, BC, Umass and UConn I may die

I won't die but I won't be watching either.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 6:06 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @streakygopher
↑

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

BU back to the FF. If it’s BU, BC, Umass and UConn I may die

I won't die but I won't be watching either.

 

I have tickets and will be there (we go to every FF) so it may be a proximity thing 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 6:07 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Watching western look like ass so far is not making me feel better about the bullshit that happened on Thursday 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 6:13 pm
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
 

Boston College >>>>>>> Boston University…….

I really dislike BC.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 6:23 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Watching western look like ass so far is not making me feel better about the bullshit that happened on Thursday 

Same

 


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:07 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2081
Rep Pts: 6321
Post on old board: 15139
 

Oh darn, a bad break from the refs for UMass.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:09 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

That’s a real soft 5 and I’m sure wmu is going to score about 3x here


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:10 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

Not sure I agree with a five there, but I’m not going to be upset for Suniev or UMass. 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:10 pm
Steve MN reacted
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 874
Rep Pts: 1735
 

I have thoughts on that 5 and they don't paint the refs in a positive light


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:11 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

😂 I feel so bad, not the game winner but it helps😂


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:12 pm
ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 146
Rep Pts: 281
 

Not a 5 in my opinion. They a do a make up call from Minnesota game.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:12 pm
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 874
Rep Pts: 1735
 

I'd prefer to see WMU win this but that was a nonsense 5. Reason I want WMU to win is because I don't want a BC/BU/UMASS frozen 4. Those Massholes will be unbearable if they get 3 of 4 in.


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:14 pm



trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2081
Rep Pts: 6321
Post on old board: 15139
 

Eill be interesting to see if WMU gets another goal or not on the PP, I think they’re the better team but that’d swing the momentum in either direction. 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:16 pm
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
 

Posted by: @karlsson
↑

Not sure I agree with a five there, but I’m not going to be upset for Suniev or UMass. 

Was that a Gopher fan hanging over the railing into the tunnel for UMass. He had a few choice words for Suniev. Suiniev stopped dead in his tracks and looked straight up at the fan for several seconds before going back into the locker room area and going all Danny Kristo on his stick.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:22 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

I think there was a Gopher fan near there, yes. But I think Suniev was actually looking at a replay on the scoreboard when he stopped and turned around. 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:23 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

Cappi gets it imo, the game misconduct too harsh. Can’t just get a five anymore, has to be both 5 and gone. With this penalty call I don’t agree with the new rule for what it’s worth.


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:25 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3601
Rep Pts: 9718
 

This five itself was bad. Booting him was ludicrous. But again, 


Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:35 pm
Jûpe ♃
(@jupiter)
Mariucci Level Admin
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 2100
Rep Pts: 7801
Post on old board: 15786
 

Cappy is incorrect. The refs have the option on hits from behind to not kick a player out. 

The new rule provides guidance and additional levels of penalty options for on-ice officials.

It strengthens rules regarding clear violations of contact to the head to include a major penalty (five minutes) and at least a game misconduct or disqualification. The past two years, a standalone major penalty was permitted to be enforced in some instances. Along with this adjustment, a minor penalty option is available to game officials. This is intended only for actions that are inadvertent or when the player making contact is using otherwise legal tactics.

Officials will have all options available for hitting-from-behind infractions (minor, major and major/game misconduct or disqualification).


Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:36 pm
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 874
Rep Pts: 1735
 

They have a chance to fix it here and they should. This is a hit to the head


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:36 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Consistency. That is good officiating


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:37 pm
The Rube reacted
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

Ok I’m confused, cappi made it sound the a stand alone 5 wasn’t an option anymore. I don’t know, whatever.


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:39 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1393
Rep Pts: 4128
 

@jupiter thank you


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:41 pm
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2201
Rep Pts: 3161
Post on old board: 5547
 

So with years NCAA playoffs why is the officiating so bad not just the Gopher game but I have seen quite a few questionable calls and non calls?


Aloha!

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:45 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @gopher6
↑

So with years NCAA playoffs why is the officiating so bad not just the Gopher game but I have seen quite a few questionable calls and non calls?

maybe @fightclub30  can speak to this, but there’s an awful lot of leagues out there and I’m guessing for a lot of people, reffing the ncaa isn’t the end goal so you probably lose a lot of your best to the higher leagues. 

secondarily, officiating has probably been this bad forever. We can now just see it in real time over and over with tv and our grace for them when they have replay is probably much less

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:49 pm
trixR4kids reacted



Jûpe ♃
(@jupiter)
Mariucci Level Admin
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 2100
Rep Pts: 7801
Post on old board: 15786
 

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy
↑

@jupiter thank you

We let Cappy know. It is confusing.

 


Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!
♃

 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 7:50 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1819
Rep Pts: 3594
Post on old board: 6912
 

Western Michigan to Frozen Four. 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 8:11 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3795
Rep Pts: 11908
Post on old board: 10120
 

A little revenge.  How does it feel to have the refs decisions affect the momentum and outcome of the game, huh???

I’ll root for the broncos over one of the ugly maroon and gold-ish colored teams.  


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 8:14 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2081
Rep Pts: 6321
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Posted by: @gopher6
↑

So with years NCAA playoffs why is the officiating so bad not just the Gopher game but I have seen quite a few questionable calls and non calls?

maybe @fightclub30  can speak to this, but there’s an awful lot of leagues out there and I’m guessing for a lot of people, reffing the ncaa isn’t the end goal so you probably lose a lot of your best to the higher leagues. 

secondarily, officiating has probably been this bad forever. We can now just see it in real time over and over with tv and our grace for them when they have replay is probably much less

 

I’d like his opinion too because he reffed at far higher levels than I ever did (I did some HS varsity games in WI but not here). But from my experience reffing soccer and hockey over the course of like 10+ years it attracted some really weird people who felt a need to be the smartest person in the room (they’d make this very apparent during the yearly ref classes lol) and yet they often weren’t athletic enough to keep up with the play or be in position to make calls. It definitely skewed a bit older too and some of these people were retired just making money on the side. It definitely doesn’t pay well enough to be a full time gig and you need to spend on gear, gas, taxes, which also impacts the pool of people willing to do this, not to mention you get yelled at a lot. At the NCAA level this is probably all true as well but the pay is probably a little bit better and the refs aren’t geezers at least. 

There were some higher ups I enjoyed working with over the years but some of these people were just insufferable, I think one assignor stopped giving me HS soccer games to ref because my watch died and the half went over by a few minutes. Kinda just unlucky (JV game where I was the only ref) but apparently this was some huge deal to this dipshit. I also had an assessor once just absolutely ream into me because I didn’t pay money for a newer ref shirt and then somehow he decided I was uninterested and a whole host of other things, I can take valid criticism but personal attacks that aren’t based in reality not so much. It also seemed like some of these orgs were more interested in having an old boys club than truly evaluating how good their refs were and making decisions based on merit. Like I said before it attracted some weird personalities some of who moved to the top and if you didn’t mesh with them they’d drive you out in some cases. Combine that with all the other issues and all I can do is laugh when I hear that there aren’t enough refs anymore. 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 9:19 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3795
Rep Pts: 11908
Post on old board: 10120
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 282
Rep Pts: 1114
 

Posted by: @cowgirl
↑

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/dane-jackson-set-to-be-named-und-mens-hockey-coach

So the Pink Flickertails were unhappy with the Berry regime....and they hire his top assistant.  Got it.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 9:59 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @skiumahlaw
↑

Posted by: @cowgirl
↑

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/dane-jackson-set-to-be-named-und-mens-hockey-coach

So the Pink Flickertails were unhappy with the Berry regime....and they hire his top assistant.  Got it.

 

no one has ever accused them of being smart 

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 10:00 pm
SkiUMahLaw reacted
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 524
Rep Pts: 1506
 

Posted by: @upnorthkid
↑

Posted by: @gopher6
↑

So with years NCAA playoffs why is the officiating so bad not just the Gopher game but I have seen quite a few questionable calls and non calls?

maybe @fightclub30  can speak to this, but there’s an awful lot of leagues out there and I’m guessing for a lot of people, reffing the ncaa isn’t the end goal so you probably lose a lot of your best to the higher leagues. 

secondarily, officiating has probably been this bad forever. We can now just see it in real time over and over with tv and our grace for them when they have replay is probably much less

 

I don't want to go into too much here.

It is actually the opposite.  Most of the leagues are now requiring their referees to have Pro Hockey experience, which is SPHL at a minimum but usually means ECHL, AHL.  (The FPHL, nobody counts that)   It has turned into a progression that is opposite of the players.  Players go from the NCAA to the ECHL and AHL.  Officials are usually going form the ECHL/AHL to NCAA.  Linesman the requirement is loosened for.

Officiating has likely always been this bad, maybe worse before.  You just now have multiple, slow-motion, HD cameras to look at it from, and more games on TV than ever before.  It wasn't all that long ago that the Gophers games at Michigan Tech and Alaska weren't on TV, and schools like SCSU and Mankato had games that bordered on Community Access Public TV.  (okay, yeah, it was a pretty long time ago, I am just getting old) Their feeds and broadcasts have gotten way better.

The expectation is now perfection.  Officials make mistakes, it happens.  Players and coaches make mistakes all game long.  A referee makes a mistake and people get upset.  People have lost the grace for players making mistakes too, but I feel even more so with officials.  Hockey is a game played, coached, officiated, and watched by humans.  If you are looking for perfection in any aspect of that, you are going to be severely disappointed.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 11:15 pm
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 

Over/under on how many posts in the next two weeks asking why we didn’t go after Bump and the Slukynsky brothers?


 
Posted : Sat. Mar 29, 2025 11:16 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6415
Rep Pts: 18085
Post on old board: 9626
 

Cap space appears to be the hurdle in Tampa signing Isaac Howard now. We will see how that works out. Tampa is a master at finding ways around the cap.

The Wild appear to think Stramel needs another year.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1906118303833059472

 


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Sun. Mar 30, 2025 7:44 am
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 1284
Rep Pts: 2224
 

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

Cap space appears to be the hurdle in Tampa signing Isaac Howard now. We will see how that works out. Tampa is a master at finding ways around the cap.

The Wild appear to think Stramel needs another year.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1906118303833059472

 

By letting Stramel play his senior year, wouldn't the Wild potentially risk losing him to free agency? Seems like a risky move to me.

 


Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

 
Posted : Sun. Mar 30, 2025 8:26 am
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1819
Rep Pts: 3594
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @mnnavy
↑

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

Cap space appears to be the hurdle in Tampa signing Isaac Howard now. We will see how that works out. Tampa is a master at finding ways around the cap.

The Wild appear to think Stramel needs another year.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1906118303833059472

 

By letting Stramel play his senior year, wouldn't the Wild potentially risk losing him to free agency? Seems like a risky move to me.

 

Wild are probably banking on the fact Stramel had a huge bounce back year playing at Michigan State & don’t want to immediately bounce him to a higher level but instead let him cook in Lansing one more season + the factor he is a 1st round pick by his hometown team. 

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 30, 2025 9:59 am



upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4083
Rep Pts: 12579
 

Posted by: @mnnavy
↑

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

Cap space appears to be the hurdle in Tampa signing Isaac Howard now. We will see how that works out. Tampa is a master at finding ways around the cap.

The Wild appear to think Stramel needs another year.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1906118303833059472

 

By letting Stramel play his senior year, wouldn't the Wild potentially risk losing him to free agency? Seems like a risky move to me.

 

would think their reasoning would be they immediately sign him at season's end and give him the 5 game offer to burn a contract year. 

tbh I think it's dumb move given his growth this year, he's been good on the dot, showed much improved vision and speed thi year. he's not ever going to become a high scorer and i don't think another year at MSU is going to add a ton. He'd be a nice cheap option in the bottom 6 so they can go out and spend rather than signing old guys yet again. That said, if they think he's going to develop further and can't help them, so be it. I'd just rather have him in the lineup than our current 4th line and you have a bunch of expiring contracts this year

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 30, 2025 10:01 am
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 3282
Rep Pts: 3934
Post on old board: 11850
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Posted by: @mnnavy
↑

Posted by: @frozen4champs
↑

Cap space appears to be the hurdle in Tampa signing Isaac Howard now. We will see how that works out. Tampa is a master at finding ways around the cap.

The Wild appear to think Stramel needs another year.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1906118303833059472

 

By letting Stramel play his senior year, wouldn't the Wild potentially risk losing him to free agency? Seems like a risky move to me.

 

Wild are probably banking on the fact Stramel had a huge bounce back year playing at Michigan State & don’t want to immediately bounce him to a higher level but instead let him cook in Lansing one more season + the factor he is a 1st round pick by his hometown team. 

 

I think it is a big risk by the Wild.  If he has another big year he will have a lots of suitors and will be able to go where he wants and thinks he might be the best fit (which of course could be the Wild, but I still think its a big risk).

 


 
Posted : Sun. Mar 30, 2025 10:03 am
Page 23 / 28

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad