39 Users
76 Likes
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @j22

Foligno and Hartman are dirty players. Duhaime is close.

Foligno is a big boy. He brings pain when he delivers a hit. But he's a role player asked to play a tough checking game on the ice. I don't think he's even in the same conversation as a guy like Marchand or Tom Wilson. Duhaime plays like a Canadian, which is to say he's physical and chippy, but I don't consider him a dirty player, either. His game is just like Sydney Crosby's, minus the skill. ? 

Harman does have a temper and is known to jab with the stick once in a while, so I'll agree on him. Even so, he's a smaller player and mostly harmless. 

Some of the dirtiest players in the NHL, ironically enough, are high-end skill guys like Marchand, Ovi, Benn, Tkacuk, Malkin, Perry et. al.

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1994
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @j22

Foligno and Hartman are dirty players. Duhaime is close.

Foligno is a big boy. He brings pain when he delivers a hit. But he's a role player asked to play a tough checking game on the ice. I don't think he's even in the same conversation as a guy like Marchand or Tom Wilson. Duhaime plays like a Canadian, which is to say he's physical and chippy, but I don't consider him a dirty player, either. His game is just like Sydney Crosby's, minus the skill. ? 

Harman does have a temper and is known to jab with the stick once in a while, so I'll agree on him. Even so, he's a smaller player and mostly harmless. 

Some of the dirtiest players in the NHL, ironically enough, are high-end skill guys like Marchand, Ovi, Benn, Tkacuk, Malkin, Perry et. al.

If you want to limit it to to the 5-10 dirtiest players in the league, then Foligno and Hartman are not at that level.  But, both have been suspended and/or fined multiple times in the last few years. 

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @trixr4kids

The players need to be in solidarity from the plugs who make league min to the Auston Mathews of the league. Also there’s the cultural element of being tough guys etc. and there’s way more of the league min players than them, you’d have issues in your own locker room if you started lobbying to give harsher suspensions that would mainly affect the guys toward the bottom of the pay scale. That’s not to say star players never fly off the handle and get suspended but they can take the loss far more easily.

And like I said it’s ownership and upper management who didn’t want this. That’s the only people Bettman actually listens to.

This too easily absolves the players' role in this. Every roster has minimum salaried players and if those players don't want to lose paychecks they can stop mugging players on the ice. Not being a thug doesn't mean you have to lose your job - rosters have to be filled out and it's not going to happen solely with skilled players because of the cap.

Also I imagine far more players care about this than don't so any hurt feelings would be outweighed by the majority. As far as what the owners want or don't want, if they think the players don't give a rip why should they?

Regarding the insipid "tough guy" element this isn't a conversation about outlawing enforcers or fighting, but about taking care of dangerous plays that could happen to any player on the ice - not just star players.

If the players continue to refuse to speak out this is not going to get fixed, and saying otherwise lets them off the hook.

It doesn’t matter what the players ask for because the GMs and owners don’t give a fuck what they think and hold more power. Change in regards to safety isn’t going to come from players lobbying against their own material interests. If the majority of players wanted harsher suspensions the NHLPA would be lobbying for it, they aren’t. If the owners and GMs wanted safety to improve they’d be lobbying for it, they also aren’t. This isn’t complicated, the owners have far more power to change things in this regard and therefore deserve the majority of the blame. There’s literally nothing the players could do if they imposed greater punishment for dirty play other than strike and that hasn’t happened in over 30 years. It’s pretty obvious who holds more power in those negotiations based on what we’ve seen in the past. The players should ask for NBA salaries while they're at it ? 

You literally argued in a circle regarding players caring about their safety too.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7113
Post on old board: 18942

Bless your heart. No serious change will happen until the players speak up. Hard stop.

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

They should ask for a pony too.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12643
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Another bad hit last night. Lindgren seems to always seems to be the recipient of these.

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1736204128865357880

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The people defending that hit because "hockey is a tough sport" are out of their mind. I didn't even realize it was Lindgren the first time I saw it. His back was turned for the majority of the approach by Pasta so claiming he turned at the last second is beyond oblivious.

ReplyQuote

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1160
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @slap-shot

The people defending that hit because "hockey is a tough sport" are out of their mind. I didn't even realize it was Lindgren the first time I saw it. His back was turned for the majority of the approach by Pasta so claiming he turned at the last second is beyond oblivious.

I have seen more of the "players need to defend themselves better" argument than it's a tough sport for this hit.  Both are get off my lawn comments.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7311
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Another bad hit last night. Lindgren seems to always seems to be the recipient of these.

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1736204128865357880

IMG 8847

creepypasta? 😂

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1738030747280191831

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

An interesting set of events. Cousins had a dirty hit on an Arizona player and Zucker came in and ran him into the boards. Cousins is a notorious dirty player as he recently hit Gudbranson that caused that situation and he also gave Knies a concussion during last years playoffs. I hope he finally gets a suspension.

https://twitter.com/racheldoerrie/status/1742524199313301650

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Can you imagine if people acted like this in public?

Oh, wait.  

Players should act like professionals and those in charge need to grow a pair and put a stop to this nonsense.  Someone is going to get seriously injured and it’s going to happen sooner than later.

$.02

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7572

When bad on ice incidents happen/are talked about it reminds me of what happen to the great Henry Boucha.

I am too young to have seen the incident live but from my father I am familiar with how a great Minnesota born hockey players' career was ended by a vicious on ice attack.

For those who aren't familiar with Henry he was a star at Warroad high school in the late 1960s, played on the USA Olympic team in 1972 and played in the NHL until 1975 when the severe eye injury happened. It resulted in a 10 game suspension and a legal case. It ended up being a hung jury and the prosecution decided not to try the case again.

Hockey is a great game but with sticks, hits from behind/to the head/knees, and skates can turn very dangerous quickly and some of the culture of hockey should change but unfortunately often times change doesn't happen when it should and in the case of Henry even a REALLY horrible incident doesn't really lead to long term change.

IMO since sports often is ALL about winning it can lead to a culture of winning at all cost and a lack of respect for your opponent. Yes in competition there is going to be a natural dislike for your opponent but it's when this gets to a point of not respecting your opponent IMO that leads to doing dangerous things that lead to needless injuring which can be severe but it continues because of a culture of well it's a dog eat dog world. There is always a portion of people within the game who will fight to keep the game from be sissified even though I hate that term.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Zucker claims it wasn't intentional... sure

https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1742749521719816540

ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

Zucker claims it wasn't intentional... sure

https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1742749521719816540

IMG 8949

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5210

In no way saying what Zucker did was good, but I’d respect him more if he admitted it was totally retribution. 

Steve MN and Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1243
Post on old board: 5547

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Ducks continue to load up on young talent. 

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/1744513133522427936

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

Looks like he didn’t want to play at Philly so they just dealt him. 

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1744514420275827019?s=46

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4464

Posted by: @snowcool08

Looks like he didn’t want to play at Philly so they just dealt him. 

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1744514420275827019?s=46

What a bizarre deal… sounds like Cutter refused to talk to Flyers management?

https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1745241870660170141?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4021
Post on old board: 9428

Woof…Knies just got decleted by Mayfield 

ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7572

At the beginning of the season who had Faber leading all rookies in assists? I realize Bedard is hurt now but he did play 39 games before getting hurt. Faber has played 45 games. To be a good defensive defensemen and be leading all rookies in assists by 5 is impressive. 2 of the top 3 are Gophers.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1748559181769252882

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

And another Gopher in the Top 3!

The Top 4 players on that list all play for teams 22nd or worse for GPG.  Only Hughes plays for a team with legit overall scoring with NJ at 7th.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

If anyone follows the NHL and some of the players who are taking personal leaves, you can connect the dots on what is happening. 

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1750181051098419689

ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Cal Foote, Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube, and Alex Formenton are all on indefinite leave from their teams and were also on the 2018 Canadian world junior team.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Today's suspendible hit provided by a Canadians player.

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1750706999942083038

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10644
Post on old board: 21741

That's ugly and brutal.....Gally has some serious free time & a lighter wallet in his immediate future.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden

The side angle is so bad. That’s a full chicken wing to the head. 

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Good Lord is he trying to get suspended?

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1759

Posted by: @greyeagle

That's ugly and brutal.....Gally has some serious free time & a lighter wallet in his immediate future.

Typical Canadiens hack

Grand Forks East... sorry that's probably too much... Go Leafs! 

fastnloud GIF

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Gallagher gets 5 games for the elbow.

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNHL/status/1751011215378124896

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7724
Post on old board: 35040

Zach Parise signs with the Avs. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNHL/status/1751680992031494287

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

The NHL is going to announce a return to the Olympics this afternoon.  I got excited for 2022, and that feel through so I hope this actually happens, but this is FANTASTIC news for my favorite hockey tournament. 

I am curious if they will actually go to Italy or if they will host it in North America as has been speculated. 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

https://twitter.com/iihfhockey/status/1753487487932965064?s=46&t=UoTCikmOZyJ29kktoNzh-A

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

I guess it’s even better than that. The World Cup of Hockey will return and it sounds like we will now have a best on best tournament every two years. That is long, long overdue considering the last time anything like this happened was 2016. 

The NHL also announces a Four Nations Cup in what would be the All Star Game next year between US/CAN/SWE/FIN

ReplyQuote
ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 200

Nice to be able to watch NHL skills competition on YouTube.  Anyone know it’s all star weekend?  I didn’t even know.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @ex_goldy

Nice to be able to watch NHL skills competition on YouTube.  Anyone know it’s all star weekend?  I didn’t even know.

yeah I set timers since we are at some more important games this weekend 😉

ReplyQuote
team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 162

Parise eyes Stanley Cup after signing with Avalanche

https://www.nhl.com/news/zach-parise-trying-to-win-stanley-cup-after-joining-colorado

Parise will be the 3rd oldest player in the league when he takes the ice with the AVs

ReplyQuote
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 995

The list of oldest active players has to heavily skew those with MN Wild ties...

Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, MAF, Goligoski has to be right there...  Brent Burns is still around...  That has to be half of the top 10.

Further with MN ties, I think Wheeler is right behind them.  

Wheeler is 29 days younger than me (we played 2 seasons together in youth).  A few years ago I remember looking at a few rosters and going "wow... I would be the oldest player on either team..."  And then I realized I am getting old.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Same guy who injured KK 97.

https://twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1755036675917402352

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @gopher6

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39502372/maple-leafs-morgan-rielly-cross-checks-senators-ridly-greig-empty-net-goal

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

https://twitter.com/SensOnReddit/status/1756545963718565947?s=20

trixR4kids and The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5689
Post on old board: 16243

@the-rube posted this last night in ‘Simple Pleasures’. I’m pretty sure Rielly is going to be writing a check out and sitting in the press box here really soon. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5210

A slapper there is a jerkface move, but retaliating makes you look small. Rolling my eyes at both organizations here. 

Steve MN and The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5689
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @karlsson

A slapper there is a jerkface move, but retaliating makes you look small. Rolling my eyes at both organizations here. 

Agree to disagree on the slap shot. Though Reilly gets to visit headquarters. Lucky for him it’s just across town.

IMG 0042

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gator

Posted by: @karlsson

Agree to disagree on the slap shot. Though Reilly gets to visit headquarters. Lucky for him it’s just across town.

IMG 0042

You are correct that one of the NHL leagues offices is located in Toronto, along with the video situation room,  but the department of player safety is located in NYC. So he will have to travel to NYC if he wants to go in person. 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4695
Post on old board: 10695

The slapper was a bit of a jerk move... the crosscheck to the head is bordering on criminal.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7