23 Users
17 Likes
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10503
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @karlsson

I’m ready for this series in Baltimore to end. 

I'm anxious for the Twins to realize the series started.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bearpaw28, Norm and Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 972
Post on old board: 8405

What excuses will the Pohlads come up with this season?

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @bert

What excuses will the Pohlads come up with this season?

Do they ever feel the need to provide excuses?  I thought they just had their GM people tell the media, they have a budget they must adhere to and this is what we got.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6976
Post on old board: 18942

What's bizarre about the Twins and their payroll is that they're the one pro team in town that is most impacted attendance wise when they suck.  The days of averaging 30k-plus per game even with a sub-.500 record are long gone. Even in 2019 when they won 101 games they only averaged 28k. 

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1207
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @slap-shot

What's bizarre about the Twins and their payroll is that they're the one pro team in town that is most impacted attendance wise when they suck.  The days of averaging 30k-plus per game even with a sub-.500 record are long gone. Even in 2019 when they won 101 games they only averaged 28k. 

Agree 100%…just another brick in the wall on why they’re the worst pro sports owners in the TC by a mile! 

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 566

Other than trying to avoid a repeat of the next David Ortiz, I’m still trying to wrap my head around buxton and 200 million they felt was justified. Or 100 million whatever it is

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Agree 100%…just another brick in the wall on why they’re the worst pro sports owners in the TC by a mile! 

On top of that even should a franchise lose money...

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-billionaire-playbook-how-sports-owners-use-their-teams-to-avoid-millions-in-taxes

Yet I don't think they're losing money anyway: https://www.forbes.com/teams/minnesota-twins/?sh=10bd5a8c3bae

And there's this: What Ever Happened to 50% of Revenue for Payroll?

What might a team make beyond the revenue sharing and TV deal?  We can estimate that by looking at the Braves and see they made $528 million in 2023 due to their public disclosures as part of Liberty Media.  We also know that the Braves TV Deal is for $68 million a year so if you subtract that and the $200 million in revenue sharing you get $260 million in stadium, licensing, merchandise, etc… revenue.  With the Twin Cities metro area roughly being 60% the size of the Braves let’s assume that the Twins can only generate 60% of the same baseball revenue ($260*60%=$156 million).  The Twins are looking at $396 million in revenue based on this model and are spending only 30% on payroll.  

The franchise as of March was evaluated to be worth $1.46B and was purchased for $44M.  It's a complete joke. 

ReplyQuote

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Last year Dan gladden told a story (one of many) about when he was playing for the twins and it was either in warmup or the 3rd out of the inning he threw a ball up to a fan in the stands and he was told by the gm or owner that those balls are expensive and we’re not about just giving things away. No joke. I wanna say it was a preseason game he was announcing and I don’t know why he felt the need to bring it up especially on air but when I heard that my thought was he might get talked to about it, not that he probably cared, and that seriously it made me feel like never going to another game. I don’t get it, and Dan even said, isn’t that what being at the ballpark is about? Memories that stick with you to make you wanna come back?

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7669
Post on old board: 35040

I was today years old when I found out about this, and yes, I pre-bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1637275773/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1708
Topic starter  

Posted by: @bearpaw28

On top of that even should a franchise lose money...

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-billionaire-playbook-how-sports-owners-use-their-teams-to-avoid-millions-in-taxes

Yet I don't think they're losing money anyway: https://www.forbes.com/teams/minnesota-twins/?sh=10bd5a8c3bae

And there's this: What Ever Happened to 50% of Revenue for Payroll?

What might a team make beyond the revenue sharing and TV deal?  We can estimate that by looking at the Braves and see they made $528 million in 2023 due to their public disclosures as part of Liberty Media.  We also know that the Braves TV Deal is for $68 million a year so if you subtract that and the $200 million in revenue sharing you get $260 million in stadium, licensing, merchandise, etc… revenue.  With the Twin Cities metro area roughly being 60% the size of the Braves let’s assume that the Twins can only generate 60% of the same baseball revenue ($260*60%=$156 million).  The Twins are looking at $396 million in revenue based on this model and are spending only 30% on payroll.  

The franchise as of March was evaluated to be worth $1.46B and was purchased for $44M.  It's a complete joke. 

I love that the Braves are publicly traded and their disclosures are public.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5151

Stupid White Sox. Keeping me from saying “Well this season couldn’t start worse.”

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1998

Stupid White Sox. Keeping me from saying “Well this season couldn’t start worse.”

Twins had a nice rally in the 9th today but came up short.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @norm

Twins had a nice rally in the 9th today but came up short.

They lost 1-6!?

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2555
Post on old board: 7833

Episode 14 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

Norm reacted
ReplyQuote

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7501

The Twins give up two runs in the top of 8th to fall behind 5-2 but Trevor Larnach hits a 2 run homer in the bottom of 8th, Buxton leads of the bottom 9th with a home run to tie it and then two outs later Kirillof drives in the winning run with a single (after a Santana walk and Jeffers pitch hit double).

Buxton over his last 4 games is 7 for 16 with 3 doubles and a home run.

Larnach was called up a little over a week ago and is 7 for 20 a batting average of .350, an on base % of .417, a slugging % of .750 resulting in an OPS of 1.167

The Twins have now won 2 straight and 3 of the last 4.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3337
Post on old board: 30840

The White Sox are also on pace to be one of the worst teams ever assembled. They were shut out in 8 of their first 22 games and I believe after blowing the game last night they are 3-20 on the season.

Nice get-right series for the Twins but Castro, Santana, Farmer, and Vazquez still need to figure out how to hit (I think the 4 of them are all hitting at or below .175) or they'll be out of a job here sooner than later (maybe not Vazquez since he's a catcher and they like to rotate him and Jeffers). 

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Bats stay hot twins sweep, with missing pieces these wins are pivotal even though it’s April.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

7 straight even though 3 against the white Sox (although they just won 3 straight against the rays) dealing with the injury adversity are team building ingredients for that locker room and should feel pretty confident going into Chicago tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3337
Post on old board: 30840

Bats are starting to wake up, especially for guys who started out terribly.

The swing changes Larnach made in the offseason are paying early dividends too. He has looked great so far.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3960
Post on old board: 9428

For those of you bereft of BSN it looks like Monday nights game is on FS1

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Twins on a 7 game winning steak, the Wolves sweep Phoenix, clearly All Minnesota teams do is WIN!!!!!!

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7221
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @beauner

Bats are starting to wake up, especially for guys who started out terribly.

The swing changes Larnach made in the offseason are paying early dividends too. He has looked great so far.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

He is back!!!!

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1785004297064739016

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

8 straight twins win 3-2

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Thielbar with his 10+ ERA and 2.3+ WHIP got it done, but not before making it very interesting. Good time to find his curve. It was lethal tonight at least. 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10503
Post on old board: 21741

Sesame Street GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

4-32 at the plate tonight. Against the Sox. Just saying. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Top three worst eight game winning streak ever. 

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Actually, you may be correct on this one. CWS is on pace to be NOTORIOUSLY bad. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The White Sox are 3-5 over their last 8 games 

3-0 against Tampa Bay

0-5 against the Twins

Carlos Santana has hit a home run in 4 of the last 5 games.

Joe Ryan has a 3.38 ERA, a WHIP of 1.04 with 41 strike outs and only 5 walks while leading the team in innings pitched (34 2/3). This puts him on pace to throw 200 innings. I don't expect him to end up doing that but it shows he has done a job great job over the first month of the season.

Max Kepler has a batting average of .429 (9 for 21) since coming off the injury list. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Tampa (while playing in one of the toughest, if not THE TOUGHEST) is still last place with a -31 differential.

I'm not saying the Twins are bad, but I am saying that this stretch isn't something to puff your chest out. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

If as fans we aren't going to thoroughly enjoy an 8 game winning streak what is the point of being a sports fan? If the only thing worth getting excited about is winning the championship then being a Twins fans is pointless. Losses will always come so why not enjoy the wins no matter who they come against? 

The Twins are 15-13 with a +9 run differential. They done this with out their best player (Royce Lewis) for all but 3 innings. Their second best player (Carlos Correa) has been on the injured list for more than half of the games. His first game back was tonight. Their best relief pitcher (Jhoan Duran) has been on the injured list missing all the games. He will likely be back tomorrow.

They've played 9 series (are one game into the 10th series) with 7 of the 9 series being against teams with winning records.

The AL Central is the only division with 4 teams with winning records.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I am cheering for the team, but I'm also not spouting WS, homeboy, given the teams they have beaten. They've done the job they are supposed to do. Do the jobs you're NOT supposed to do...now I have real faith. I won't leave the bandwagon, but I refuse to be blind. 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Who said the Twins were going to win the World Series (while being serious)?

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Who said the Twins were going to win the World Series (while being serious)?

Exactly

ReplyQuote

Page 2 / 2