27 Users
21 Likes
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3335
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

Corey Provus is doing the gopher basketball game on BTN tonight. 

I assume he's been a regular there?  He's fairly good. I still think there's one guy I could listen to all day long and that's Mike Grimm. He's such a spectacular radio guy.

I know Grimm went from doing just basketball and then added football. I assume Provus went from baseball to add basketball?

I imagine going from baseball radio to just about anything has got to be difficult. 

He does a little of everything for BTN I believe. I know I've heard him on football games before. He's pretty good in hoops and football but I think he's damn near perfect for baseball.

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1067
Post on old board: 29516

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

Corey Provus is doing the gopher basketball game on BTN tonight. 

I assume he's been a regular there?  He's fairly good. I still think there's one guy I could listen to all day long and that's Mike Grimm. He's such a spectacular radio guy.

I know Grimm went from doing just basketball and then added football. I assume Provus went from baseball to add basketball?

I imagine going from baseball radio to just about anything has got to be difficult. 

He does a little of everything for BTN I believe. I know I've heard him on football games before. He's pretty good in hoops and football but I think he's damn near perfect for baseball.

the radio announcers and in-stadium PA guys we have in this town are unmatched. Most are HOFers

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Sonny Gray signs a 3 year $75 million deal with St. Louis.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1729151129001623943?t=ydBFxkQYzCmEsiHVWGI6jg&s=19

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12505
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

2 years, $16 million. Cheap Pohlads ? 

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1729914809489993825

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1228
Post on old board: 5547

The Pohlads would rather make money from their hi priced car dealerships Audi and BMW

Aloha!

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Geez.  Give the Twins a chance.  You never know....they may sign some big name free agent pitchers this off season to make up those losses.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@gopher6 My post was a tongue in cheek shot at the Poland's. I'm fine not paying Pagan 8 million a year.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6973
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @bertogliat

Geez.  Give the Twins a chance.  You never know....they may sign some big name free agent pitchers this off season to make up those losses.

Nothing like the first time.

mnpuckguy
(@mnpuckguy)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 75

They will go after some older pitcher that's had Tommy John surgery & is attempting a comeback!  Or they can blow $11 million on some has been like Joey Gallo!

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1708

Posted by: @slap-shot

I mean signing Correa (the first time) two years ago was a huge deal for them.  I think he was listed as the top free agent of that year.  I won't argue that its rare they make a huge splash, but it has happened.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @youngeagle

I mean signing Correa (the first time) two years ago was a huge deal for them.  I think he was listed as the top free agent of that year.  I won't argue that its rare they make a huge splash, but it has happened.  

For fielders, yes.  Pitchers, not so much.  They did splash a little last year....and saw some success.  But it sounds like they might be looking to cut salary and they've already lost two pitchers.  I'll be curious how they deal with that.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

Have to replace 40% of the starting rotation?  No big thing.

We'll see what "cut payroll" means but leave it to the Twins to be on the cusp of something and be all, "meh, that was good enough."

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jwg

Have to replace 40% of the starting rotation?  No big thing.

We'll see what "cut payroll" means but leave it to the Twins to be on the cusp of something and be all, "meh, that was good enough."

I actually think they have depth in their rotation. Lopez, Ryan, Varland, Ober and Paddack. I would prefer that they add 1 more veteran starter, as a couple of those have question marks. Sonny will be greatly missed for sure, but 3 years $75 million for a 34 year old, I can see why the Twins passed. Maeda got 2 for $24 million was more reasonable, but his health is a major concern.Have to hope Varland is the real deal, Ryan gets back to early season form and Paddack stays healthy. I know, it is a lot of ifs. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @youngeagle

For fielders, yes.  Pitchers, not so much.  They did splash a little last year....and saw some success.  But it sounds like they might be looking to cut salary and they've already lost two pitchers.  I'll be curious how they deal with that.

The Twins, and most teams outside NY, LA, and Texas, are far more likely to trade for a frontline SP than they are to sign one. Always will be. Its more financially responsible AND can yield better results. While there are some obvious home runs recently with high dollar FA SPs (Gerrit Cole comes to mind) there are a bunch of whiffs that would crush the Twins payroll long term. Most "ace" SPs on the FA market are at or near 30+ years old and seek 7-8 year deals, and most will start seeing a decline in performance before half of that contract is over. That's why teams with strong position player farm systems, like the Twins currently, are going to be far more willing to trade for younger SPs on cost-controlled deals and then try to sign them to an extension that skips their arbitration years - like they did with Pablo Lopez. They're paying "over slot" (what the MLB contracts would pay out based on pre-arbitration/arbitration years) early and hopefully under-paying on the back half of the contract. 

As far as the cutting salary, my gut says Polanco will be traded as part of a package for a SP. He's a quality bat and better 2B than basically any FA, on a mostly team-friendly deal (10mil) and the Twins have replacements readily available (Julien already up, Lee and Martin marinating in AAA). 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Pohlad's spending some cash...

He is a reliever that has appeared in 169 games with his best year being in 2021 with 64 games and 2.88 ERA with 16 holds. He has struggled a bit the past 2 years.

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1740075345653772398

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1740069999320944644

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Joe "Baby Jesus" Mauer elected to Baseball Hall Of Fame on his 1st ballot.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

Way to go Kid St. Columba!

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7473

Beauner reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4601
Post on old board: 10695

Orion and Cowgirl reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1750575446901579955

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5611
Post on old board: 16243

First, it's one thing to have Wayne Greztky in your phone contacts. It's another that he would actually text you and congratulate you. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2532
Post on old board: 7833

Watched the greeting session from Cooperstown this morning. One of the reporters asked Joe and Todd Helton who was the better quarterback. Joe said he was looking forward to tossing the football around with Helton this summer. I knew nothing about Helton’s athletic versatility.  His first two years at Tennessee he backed up Heath Shuler, then his junior year he was backing up Jerry Colquitt. Colquitt gets injured and Helton takes over. Three weeks later Helton does his best Wally Pipp impersonation and gets injured so some true freshman schmuck named Peyton Manning is forced into action. In baseball beside all the hitting prowess you would expect Helton was also an excellent relief pitcher. Per Wikipedia he holds the Division 1 record for consecutive scoreless innings at 47.

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2532
Post on old board: 7833

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

I'll miss Polo but that seems like a good return for a 30 year old infielder with emerging players at his positions. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

I will his "oh my God it's a fastball down the pipe" look.

young frankenstein igor GIF

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertogliat and Iceburg reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I'll miss watching Polanco but this trade makes a lot of sense. It's probably our deepest position in the organization. While his production when healthy has been great and he seems to be a tremendous leader, he's also got a significant injury history piling up.

The Twins get a quality bullpen arm, an MLB top 100 prospect (Gabriel Gonzalez) who hit .298/.361/.476 in single A last year at age 19. Even the throw-in (Bowen) has some upside. He's the type of pitcher they've developed really well the last couple years (a Varland type where he can add 2-3mph velo to his fastball and become a viable starter but probably projects better as a reliever, IMO).

DeSclafani is a meh SP. He'll probably be the 5th guy in the rotation behind Lopez, Ober, Ryan, and Paddack but he's been a solid middle of the rotation guy throughout his career. 

Hopefully they can add another higher upside type SP to the front of the rotation, either from trade or FA.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1753630597656817732

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Anthony DeSclafina's salary this year is 1.5 million higher than Jorge Polanco's so with Seattle including 8 million in the trade the Twins were left with a net of 6.5 million that they used to sign Carlos Santana.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1753633336411426914

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1753630597656817732

He's a switch hitter too isn't he? I like that signing at 5 and change million. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1756757177799163952?s=20

Another solid arm for the bullpen. Twins traded Nick Gordon to the Marlins for Okert today.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Hopefully Nick gets a chance to play a lot for them. Seems like an awesome kid who ran into some crappy luck. Didn't seem like he was going to make the roster here but his skillset as a utility guy and left handed bat fits perfectly in Miami. Would love to see him have success there.

Iceburg reacted
Milhouse
(@milhouse)
Rep Pts: 12

Go sign Trevor Bauer RFN!

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @milhouse

No thanks.  I'm good on keeping douchebags as far away from my teams as possible. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @milhouse

Absolutely not.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The bases loaded stat is nice, but I'd rather see him improve the other numbers because that situation is so infrequent.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

All the numbers are really good.

Page 2 / 2