Went to Doug Woog Arena yesterday for Farmington/St. Louis Park in the South StP holiday tourney. They have an organ/electric piano player. He actually is really good. I knew at one time both Eagan and Richfield had an organ at their arenas, but don't know if they still do.
Shakopee’s tallest kid in the high school might be their goalie and that’s not on skates. He’s 6’10” plus with his skates.
Shakopee 4, Farmington 2
Shakopee’s tallest kid in the high school might be their goalie and that’s not on skates. He’s 6’10” plus with his skates.
Shakopee 4, Farmington 2

All season I’ve been finding the best source for hs hockey scores and rankings is the Lets Play Hockey fb site. Both boys and girls and both AA & A. And they are pretty much on schedule. You can see a post with all the boys scores late Tuesday and Thursday nights. And Saturday score late evening. Same for the girls. They also post the rankings through out Tuesday late morning and early afternoon.
I know there’s other apps and sources out there, but LPH is really easy to read and well put out.
All season I’ve been finding the best source for hs hockey scores and rankings is the Lets Play Hockey fb site. Both boys and girls and both AA & A. And they are pretty much on schedule. You can see a post with all the boys scores late Tuesday and Thursday nights. And Saturday score late evening. Same for the girls. They also post the rankings through out Tuesday late morning and early afternoon.
I know there’s other apps and sources out there, but LPH is really easy to read and well put out.
Heres another option, very up to date with box scores and stats.
https://www.legacy.hockey/schedule/day/league_instance/224377?subseason=948428
All season I’ve been finding the best source for hs hockey scores and rankings is the Lets Play Hockey fb site. Both boys and girls and both AA & A. And they are pretty much on schedule. You can see a post with all the boys scores late Tuesday and Thursday nights. And Saturday score late evening. Same for the girls. They also post the rankings through out Tuesday late morning and early afternoon.
I know there’s other apps and sources out there, but LPH is really easy to read and well put out.Heres another option, very up to date with box scores and stats.
https://www.legacy.hockey/schedule/day/league_instance/224377?subseason=948428
Thats another good one, especially for live scores.
Hockey day Minnesota this weekend in Hastings gonna be a wear your long John’s kinda day.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
At least Hastings won't have the snow to go along with the cold like Mankato did in 2022. Even with the cold it was an amazing event only because there were plenty of places to warm up. The biggest pain was keeping the diesel generators going to power the event tent. The generator from my work gelled up a couple times even with #1 diesel and fuel treatment. Finally had to make something up to block the wind and insulate around the bottom of the generator to keep the cold at bay.
I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!
At least Hastings won't have the snow to go along with the cold like Mankato did in 2022. Even with the cold it was an amazing event only because there were plenty of places to warm up. The biggest pain was keeping the diesel generators going to power the event tent. The generator from my work gelled up a couple times even with #1 diesel and fuel treatment. Finally had to make something up to block the wind and insulate around the bottom of the generator to keep the cold at bay.
pretty cool to see the players embrace the weather for what it is. I’m willing to bet they’d all rather have it colder than usual than warmer. Nothing worse than soft wet outdoor ice.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
Pretty sure it was up at Baudette bay when the zam went to refill with water during the entire period just to make it back in time to resurface again.😂
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
Do kids change the cut on their blades when it’s this cold. Ice can be more brittle in extreme coldness. Though resurfacing as much they do would help.
@gator good question, all I know is some kids are really particular about what grind some more than others. I’m out of the loop on it since kid is graduated so I’m no longer a hockey dad and can ice fish again for the first time in like 12 years 😂and honestly never got into those particulars he just got the grind that was for speed (the number was stuck in my head for years). I can say the times I skated outside in extreme cold even sharp skates didn’t feel sharp enough.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
You have me curious now too😁 someone here knows.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
The short answer is yes they will change the grind/depth for Outdoor games for some players but it’s all based on feel/pregame skate based on what I’ve read (same deal with guys getting skates sharpened during games or between periods). Some people also will change blade system entirely for this kind of stuff (like using flare blades) or go to a deeper cut to add grip
for hs, would agree you may notice less “grip” but most kids probably can’t tell a ton as the speed and direction change pace is lower (from personal experience as well). But I’m also sure that they’ll all be talking about it ahead of time like it’s going to be the key out there because there are like 500 articles on it now as skate blade tech has changed a ton in the last decade (gotta keep making those margins ya know)
All I remember worrying about in the extreme cold with his skates was the plastic tukk exploding from being brittle if it took on a hard shot since he played in front of the goalie a lot. Never happened though fortunately.
“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”
If a kid goes from 1/2” cut to a 3/8” for an outside game. How much, if at all does it affect their skating. They’ll have less of a glide, but more of a edge.
If a kid goes from 1/2” cut to a 3/8” for an outside game. How much, if at all does it affect their skating. They’ll have less of a glide, but more of a edge.
generally speaking, you're onto the adage. harder ice want more bite which will decrease your glide/speed but allow you to make rapid turns. so yes the typical is adage is the 1/8 change (at least that's what all our coaches and sharpeners said). I think it's certainly noticeable when your skates hit a different set of ice (one would notice quite a bit of difference skating at the mini Ralph vs TRF vs the barn in RLF back in the day) and I'd so most people can feel when the ice feels "faster" or where you have less grip on hard ice.
That said, I don't know if most kids would be able to tell you the 1/8 inch difference. then you add in general ice quality on the outdoor games and I think it ends up being a crap shoot. Most kids are just not skating that dynamically i'd expect them to notice. High end talent, maybe. College highly likely to notice. Pro level, definitely.
Are pros and maybe college skating on a 34/“ to 1” cut?!?!?!
that tbh i have no idea what they're skating on now with the changes in skate tech. would imagine highly variable. There are some good articles on it online. It kind of has a fascinating following amongst people on Reddit and other hockey blogs as well (kind of like people who like to know pros gamers PC settings).
I think pros are typically in the 5/8 to 3/4 (for skaters, not goalies) but that's from memory of reading about it prior but there are also some guys who are big outliers the other direction too. It's all personal preference.
Would be interesting to hear how each individual place is cutting skates for most youth players now or if they're all still going the standard 1/2 to 5/8
Does anyone know, are there any section final games scheduled at the new St. Thomas Arena this year?
Seems to be with Ridder, St. Thomas and the soon to be MN Hockey Hall of Fame Arena coming to Inver Grove there will be some great options to host Finals games.
Watching Hockey Day in Minnesota, one end of the ice looks strange, it looks like a flood or spill on the ice
my stupidity its sun glaring through the glass
Aloha!
If a kid goes from 1/2” cut to a 3/8” for an outside game. How much, if at all does it affect their skating. They’ll have less of a glide, but more of a edge.
3/8", wow that's a lot of drag. I didn't hear about the ice conditions today but I can't see a good skater going on a 3/8.
Reading and watching an article about Mason West who played at Edina is going to Michigan State. And they showed him getting his ankles taped up before every practice and game. I asked a friend of mine, whose son is currently a three-year letterman for a local high school team and he said his son has never taped his ankles.
@upnorthkid, What’s your knowledge on hockey players getting their ankles taped. I assume it’s not at the of football or hockey.
Reading and watching an article about Mason West who played at Edina is going to Michigan State. And they showed him getting his ankles taped up before every practice and game. I asked a friend of mine, whose son is currently a three-year letterman for a local high school team and he said his son has never taped his ankles.
@upnorthkid, What’s your knowledge on hockey players getting their ankles taped. I assume it’s not at the of football or hockey.
This is the first I’ve ever heard of it. tie your skates tighter lol.
I played with a high ankle sprain which hurt, but your skates give you a ton of support unless you’re someone who likes them loose or don’t tie them all the way up
he’s a pretty big dude but I’m going to assume his ankles are plenty strong (and personally I liked having more ankle mobility for balance and cutting, but I’m a small guy). Would guess it’s more just a mindset thing with football and all those things for west
I guess maybe I could see it if someone has really flimsy ankles? But seems like you’re just setting them up to not develop the strength and balance
My Pre-Season Section Winners:
1AA: Farmington @skiier32
2AA: Minnetonka
3AA: Rosemount
4AA: White Bear Lake
5AA: Maple Grove
6AA: Edina
7AA: Rock Ridge
8AA: Moorehead
Down the final stretch before Section and it's getting interesting...
My Up To Date Winners:
1AA: Farmington @skiier32 / Lakeville South is a threat.
2AA: Minnetonka / Shakopee is Tonka's biggest threat.
3AA: Rosemount / STA and CDH are very will in the mix.
4AA: White Bear Lake / Sticking with the Bears, but probably come down to Hill or Stillwater.
5AA: Maple Grove / It's their section to lose...
6AA: Edina / A three horse race along with Rogers and Wayzata and a dark horse Holy Angels.
7AA: Duluth Marshall / Probably the most open section along with Rock Ridge, Andover and Forest Lake.
8AA: Moorehead / It's be call the the Miracle of 8AA if Moorhead doesn't come to StP.
Thanks! Can you handicap class A?
Thanks! Can you handicap class A?
Check out Class A Guy
https://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=32
I saw that score on Saturday night. Makes me wonder if Chaska had boys out sick or suspended.
Waseca 24, Fairmont 0
You have to feel for lots of these smaller A programs. They just don't have the kids to compete. They may have a handful of players that can play hockey, but rest just don't have it. The feeder programs struggle to put out a team and it just snowballs. Even some AA programs are the same way in AA, but if they dropped to A, people would complain. You also have to feel for the coaches. I guarantee they are trying, just the cupboards is bare. As for A, I guess you start seeing more and more cities/programs combine and go by an area name and not city or school names.
I have my opinions about feeder systems and youth hockey and I've expressed them before. And I've also expressed how much the high school coaches should be involved with their associations and youth programs. Especially when it comes to developing players and teaching the game. And not getting caught up in winning and losing, youth Weekend/District/State trophies. Teach the game and develop players JV down to Mites. Let Varsity worry about winning or losing and the ultimate goal of getting to StP and winning State.
Well I think that's the beauty of the Minnesota system instead of other states where there seems to be more of a AAA type system - that there is a lot of emphasis placed on development at younger ages. Some associations have very large house numbers filled with players that never make a traveling team.
Now to your thoughts surely there are gaps and room for improvement, and we know there are coaches/associations that focus too much on W/L at younger ages. Yet overall the home state way of doing things is the preferred model and sometimes nothing can be done to save a program from itself. I mean the city of Fairmont has more people than Waseca per Google and I doubt Fairmont is much of a feeder program. Of course I could be wrong about that.
Well I think that's the beauty of the Minnesota system instead of other states where there seems to be more of a AAA type system - that there is a lot of emphasis placed on development at younger ages. Some associations have very large house numbers filled with players that never make a traveling team.
Now to your thoughts surely there are gaps and room for improvement, and we know there are coaches/associations that focus too much on W/L at younger ages.
Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts.
Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players
Well I think that's the beauty of the Minnesota system instead of other states where there seems to be more of a AAA type system - that there is a lot of emphasis placed on development at younger ages. Some associations have very large house numbers filled with players that never make a traveling team.
Now to your thoughts surely there are gaps and room for improvement, and we know there are coaches/associations that focus too much on W/L at younger ages.
Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts.
Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players
If you say so. Edina girls have one 12U A team, but they along with Tonka and a few others each have two 15U A teams. Something other than putting winning first might be at play.
Well I think that's the beauty of the Minnesota system instead of other states where there seems to be more of a AAA type system - that there is a lot of emphasis placed on development at younger ages. Some associations have very large house numbers filled with players that never make a traveling team.
Now to your thoughts surely there are gaps and room for improvement, and we know there are coaches/associations that focus too much on W/L at younger ages.
Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts.
Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players
If you say so. Edina girls have one 12U A team, but they along with Tonka and a few others each have two 15U A teams. Something other than putting winning first might be at play.
There are zero associations in the state with two 12U A teams. Edina’s best two 12U girls also happen to play on the boys Peewee A team.
Why does an association of Minnetonka’s size only have one squirt A team?
Well I think that's the beauty of the Minnesota system instead of other states where there seems to be more of a AAA type system - that there is a lot of emphasis placed on development at younger ages. Some associations have very large house numbers filled with players that never make a traveling team.
Now to your thoughts surely there are gaps and room for improvement, and we know there are coaches/associations that focus too much on W/L at younger ages.
Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts.
Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players
If you say so. Edina girls have one 12U A team, but they along with Tonka and a few others each have two 15U A teams. Something other than putting winning first might be at play.
There are zero associations in the state with two 12U A teams. Edina’s best two 12U girls also happen to play on the boys Peewee A team.
Why does an association of Minnetonka’s size only have one squirt A team?
The point was if they have two 15U A girls teams it seems counter-intuitive to claim the entire association values winning above all else. Especially considering your only reason to make the claim is they have only 1 boys squirt team - ignoring they're not remotely alone having just the 1. It's impossible to consider something else could be at play? I have a niece on one of their 15U teams and neither parent has anything negative to say on their experiences the past handful of years. Whatever I won't belabor it further.
Thats an outlandish statement…Tonka only having one Squirt A team and attributing it to them putting winning over development at the Squirt level. Squirts playoffs end at the District level. There is no State Tournament for Squirts. So there’s not exactly a huge incentive to field one team. Sounds more to me like someone’s grandson didn’t make the Tonka A squirt team & is bitter they had to play B1 Squirts. 😉Well I think that's the beauty of the Minnesota system instead of other states where there seems to be more of a AAA type system - that there is a lot of emphasis placed on development at younger ages. Some associations have very large house numbers filled with players that never make a traveling team.
Now to your thoughts surely there are gaps and room for improvement, and we know there are coaches/associations that focus too much on W/L at younger ages.
Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts.
Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players
Waseca 24, Fairmont 0
Thats just ridiculous, a score usually doesn’t get that bad unless Waseca refused to take their foot off the gas and that’s just gross if so.
Waseca 24, Fairmont 0
Thats just ridiculous, a score usually doesn’t get that bad unless Waseca refused to take their foot off the gas and that’s just gross if so.
It's a goal nearly every 2 minutes and the 3rd was in running time. So it's probably more like a goal 1:30/1:45.
Was at Rosemount @ Farmington last night. Rosemount up 3-2 late in the 3rd, Rosemount gets a penalty after the whistle, but a Farmington player skates and takes a boneheaded penalty to even it up. Rosemount scores quickly after the matching penalties and adds an empty netter.
South Suburban Conference has a very good chance of having 3 teams making State. Farmington (1AA), Shakopee (2AA) and Rosemount (3AA).
Were can I access MN high school scores? Star Tribune varsity sucks
Aloha!
Were can I access MN high school scores? Star Tribune varsity sucks
Legacy hockey is the best site I’ve seen:
https://www.legacy.hockey/page/show/5461215-mshsl
@mikeeruzione11 Ya picked a bad day for this tip as the site is screwed up right now, the schedule tab is frozen on Dec 4th, 2025
Yep.. normally it is pretty reliable!
https://twitter.com/legacy_hockey/status/2020221538289811713?s=46&t=UtlPiq7Vt1Te97QT76L7LQ

