High School Hockey ...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


High School Hockey 2025-26

554 Posts
45 Users
233 Reactions
19.6 K Views
midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 246
Rep Pts: 446
 

Posted by: @teamj22tank
↑

Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts. 

Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players

That's awful of Minnetonka. Just trying to win Squirt International I guess. Jeez, West Fargo has two equal Squirt A teams. Also fyi, Moorhead does not have two equal Squirt A teams.

 


 
Posted : Sat. Feb 7, 2026 10:29 pm
teamj22tank
(@teamj22tank)
Lucia Level
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 21
Rep Pts: 51
 

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil
↑

Posted by: @teamj22tank
↑

Minnetonka is unfortunately the worst offender of this. One of the biggest associations in the state, yet they only have one squirt A team. Edina, OMG, Woodbury, Wayzata, Moorhead, etc. all field two A teams, but Minnetonka puts winning above development at squirts. 

Give Edina credit, they actually field two 10U A girls teams, I don’t know any other program that has the numbers and talent to do this. They develop a lot of high end players

That's awful of Minnetonka. Just trying to win Squirt International I guess. Jeez, West Fargo has two equal Squirt A teams. Also fyi, Moorhead does not have two equal Squirt A teams.

 

 

Yeah, they got bounced in the semis of the squirtacular by one of the Edina split A teams. Was a really close game. Parents will be extra hungry for the squirt international championship 

 


 
Posted : Sun. Feb 8, 2026 4:13 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4540
Rep Pts: 11434
Post on old board: 18942
 

woooooooosh

It's such an insipid argument the entire association is suspect and only "interested in winning" because of one level.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/association-info?a=1441


 
Posted : Mon. Feb 9, 2026 12:25 pm
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Rogers takes down Tonka 6-1 tonight. Rogers should enter section play as the #1 ranked team after winning tonight and beating Moorhead 5-3 last Saturday. 


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 10, 2026 11:27 pm
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

@bearpaw28 

6AA sections is going to be fun... Rogers, Edina, Holy Angels and Wayzata. Should make some epic semi's and finals. I'll take Edina, Giles just knows how to have his boys ready for section and even into State. 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 8:46 am
Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Bonin Level
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 458
Rep Pts: 1075
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Rogers takes down Tonka 6-1 tonight. Rogers should enter section play as the #1 ranked team after winning tonight and beating Moorhead 5-3 last Saturday. 

Rogers certainly capitalized on their opportunities.  They scored on 4/5 power plays and 6 of their 18 shots.  Not a great night for the Skipper netminders.  Skippers outshot them 36-18 or something.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 10:12 am
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 976
Rep Pts: 3000
Post on old board: 6069
 

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Rogers takes down Tonka 6-1 tonight. Rogers should enter section play as the #1 ranked team after winning tonight and beating Moorhead 5-3 last Saturday. 

Rogers certainly capitalized on their opportunities.  They scored on 4/5 power plays and 6 of their 18 shots.  Not a great night for the Skipper netminders.  Skippers outshot them 36-18 or something.

 

Saw the highlights of this game on the news.  Maybe the goalie was confused as to who had the puck?  Both teams wore the exact same blue and white colors.  No other colors to differentiate.  

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 10:21 am
Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Bonin Level
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 458
Rep Pts: 1075
 

Posted by: @snowcool08
↑

Posted by: @goldy77
↑

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Rogers takes down Tonka 6-1 tonight. Rogers should enter section play as the #1 ranked team after winning tonight and beating Moorhead 5-3 last Saturday. 

Rogers certainly capitalized on their opportunities.  They scored on 4/5 power plays and 6 of their 18 shots.  Not a great night for the Skipper netminders.  Skippers outshot them 36-18 or something.

 

Saw the highlights of this game on the news.  Maybe the goalie was confused as to who had the puck?  Both teams wore the exact same blue and white colors.  No other colors to differentiate.  

 

Yeah I noticed that, surprised Rogers wouldn’t wear their blacks.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 10:34 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Late Dec I went to a St. Louis Park/Farmington game. Both teams orange, black and white. Probably does make it harder on the goalie, as well as the stripes calling the game.


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 10:48 am
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

@gator Edina is facing a different kind of team with Rogers compared to your typical Wayzata physical grinding teams & BSM teams that have skill but tend to fold in sections in recent years. Not saying Edina can’t beat them, but won’t be easy as Rogers is ROLLING. The Rogers D core is arguably the best in the state. Rogers has won 11 in a row & are unbeaten in last 16 games


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:08 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Hermantown 0-3-1 in their last 4 games. Granted it’s against AA teams.

Moorhead (L) 5-4

BSM (T) 3-3

Holy Angels (L) 6-2

Grand Rapids (L) 6-2

 

7A is going to be another barn burner of a section. Currently, #1 Hermantown, #2 Hibbing, #9 Cloquet and #14 International Falls.


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:09 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

@bearpaw28 

Assuming Rogers is seeded higher than Edina. It’ll be interesting how both teams match up lines, especially with Rogers getting to put their lines out last.


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:18 am



bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Rogers wore their Home Whites. Tonka wore their Road Blues. Yeah, the color schemes are almost identical, but that’s not why the Tonka starting goalie was chased from the net. They were down 3-1 and then took 2 penalties giving Rogers a 5-3 power play. Rogers scored twice midway through 2nd period & that was pretty much ballgame after going up 5-1. Accordingly , the final shot totals were misleading & essentially irrelevant. Tonka also had a 5-3 pp late in 2nd period and failed to score. 3rd period Rogers hung back & protected a 5 goal cushion effectively after scoring early in 3rd on pp.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:22 am
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Broten Level
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1805
Rep Pts: 3555
Post on old board: 6912
 

Posted by: @gator
↑

Hermantown 0-3-1 in their last 4 games. Granted it’s against AA teams.

Moorhead (L) 5-4

BSM (T) 3-3

Holy Angels (L) 6-2

Grand Rapids (L) 6-2

 

7A is going to be another barn burner of a section. Currently, #1 Hermantown, #2 Hibbing, #9 Cloquet and #14 International Falls.

Hermantown can SUCK an egg. Those frauds have been sand bagging playing single A HS for 2 decades while their PeeWee & Bantam teams have competed at the AA - MAHA level. What a travesty! And this sentiment comes from a guy who’s fully aware Hermantown’s top players have a direct pipeline to my Alma Mater. Rooting Hibbing wins 7A again! 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:31 am
gator reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 2391
Rep Pts: 5177
Post on old board: 12555
 

Posted by: @bearpaw28
↑

Rogers wore their Home Whites. Tonka wore their Road Blues. Yeah, the color schemes are almost identical, but that’s not why the Tonka starting goalie was chased from the net. They were down 3-1 and then took 2 penalties giving Rogers a 5-3 power play. Rogers scored twice midway through 2nd period & that was pretty much ballgame after going up 5-1. Accordingly , the final shot totals were misleading & essentially irrelevant. Tonka also had a 5-3 pp late in 2nd period and failed to score. 3rd period Rogers hung back & protected a 5 goal cushion effectively after scoring early in 3rd on pp.

 

Tonka had a strong lead in shots from the get go.  When Rogers scored to go up 3-1, they were being outshot 8-14.

 

I have seen Rogers play twice this year and they are deadly with their shots.  They have quite a few players who flat out snipe and they never miss their shots.  That team is a machine.  They space out extremely well, enter the offensive zone and converge on the slot in waves.  Very well coached.  They have the toughest section, but my money is on Rogers to win state.

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:38 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

@bearpaw28 

110% agree… Hermantown “plays” within the rules and guidelines of the MSHSL and Minnesota Hockey to benefit themselves and pad the stats/records of their program. Hermantown pointed the finger and called out STA for years to move up, all the while having 3 fingers pointing back at them.


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:40 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

One benefit of having Hermantown in A. Makes for a fun semi final Friday afternoon at the X/Casino. Especially when you get strong programs like East Grand Forks, Mahtomedi, SCC and Warroad. Always makes Hermantown the villain with the large crowds for those A semi finals.  


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 11:50 am
Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Bonin Level
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 458
Rep Pts: 1075
 

Hibbing gets the 1 seed in 7A over Hermantown.  Wouldn’t mind seeing the Lumberjacks knock off the Hawks in the semis.


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 2:46 pm
Goldy Guy
(@goldy-guy)
Lucia Level
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 28
Rep Pts: 99
 

@goldy77 

Hibbing got the 1 seed by one vote.  The 4 and 5 seeds were determined by an actual coin flip.  Crazy.  


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 11, 2026 3:09 pm
gator and Goldy77 reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4540
Rep Pts: 11434
Post on old board: 18942
 

I think the overall numbers of kids leaving early is pretty encouraging. There's an estimated 141 h.s teams in Minnesota. If each roster has 20 players (I believe the roster limit is 22 but I'm using 20 to account for the possibility some schools are short of that) that's at least 2,820 players, meaning LESS THAN 1% left early. 

And there is still plenty of sentiment encouraging kids to stay.

https://www.legacy.hockey/news_article/show/1351818

In the eyes of some NHL scouts, leaving early simply prolongs most players’ careers in junior hockey, adding an extra season or two before they reach college.

“I don’t believe kids need to leave,” said Fred Bandel, a former NHL scout for the Florida Panthers. “If a guy has outstanding skating skills, an outstanding compete level, that should show through no matter what sweater he is wearing or what league he is in.

“You can’t cheat the process,” said Bandel, who scouted for NHL teams for 25 years. “And to me the process is four years of high school, two years of juniors and then college. It’s a grind to play two years of juniors, and now you are looking at playing maybe three years if you leave early.”

Several of those players, in an encouraging recent trend, are returning to Minnesota and suiting up for high school teams. Fourteen players from non-Minnesota State High School League programs have joined high school teams in the state this season, and many of them are making a big impact.

Recent former players are among the most influential voices encouraging players to stay through their senior seasons. Moorhead’s Mason Kraft, unprompted, shared his thoughts on the topic in a media session after the Spuds won last season’s Class 2A championship.

“If you ever have the option to stay or leave, I think you should always come back and play high school hockey,” he said. “Play one more year with your buddies. You never get this time back, ever.

“There’s no better place in the country to play than Minnesota.”

Current MHCA president Ricky Saintey, head coach at Rosemount, said he’s excited about the group’s collective mindset on limiting early departures.

“We are starting to understand the importance of keeping the kids in their homes and their communities,” Saintey said. “I think there is a pretty big buy-in across the state with our coaches … we all want what is the best for the high school player. And nothing beats staying home and playing with your buddies.”


 
Posted : Sat. Feb 14, 2026 3:40 am
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2160
Rep Pts: 3072
Post on old board: 5547
 

So in Girls hockey both Breck and Blake make it to the tournament 

https://www.startribune.com/mshsl-girls-hockey-state-tournament-bracket-and-schedule/601577329


Aloha!

 
Posted : Sat. Feb 14, 2026 12:56 pm
skiier32
(@skiier32)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 77
Rep Pts: 212
 

When did they change the 1 vs 8 game to the first game of the day?  Its been the 6pm game for as long as they have been seeding teams with the 4 v 5 at 8pm. 


 
Posted : Mon. Feb 16, 2026 10:04 am
gator reacted
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Posted by: @skiier32
↑

When did they change the 1 vs 8 game to the first game of the day?  Its been the 6pm game for as long as they have been seeding teams with the 4 v 5 at 8pm. 

Saw that as well, meant to text you while I was in South Bend wonder if it was a typo or what… lol!!!

 


 
Posted : Mon. Feb 16, 2026 12:53 pm
Chris83
(@chris83)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 714
Rep Pts: 1568
Post on old board: 5215
 

I've always felt that the #1 seed should get the maximum amount of time (assuming they win) to rest until the semi-finals on Friday evening; also, that they get the first semi-final at 6:00 instead of the second game, where you're not even sure what time you'll be starting. I don't know whether that played into the changes, but it makes sense to me.


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 6:24 am



SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 282
Rep Pts: 1114
 

Posted by: @chris83
↑

I've always felt that the #1 seed should get the maximum amount of time (assuming they win) to rest until the semi-finals on Friday evening; also, that they get the first semi-final at 6:00 instead of the second game, where you're not even sure what time you'll be starting. I don't know whether that played into the changes, but it makes sense to me.

The concern will be whether the 4/5 game then ends in a reasonable time-- and doesn't head into 3-4 OTs thus delaying the entire evening session.  

Having the 1 seed play in prime time and allowing what should be the closest matchup of the day not push other games back was good rationale for 1/8 and 4/5 games in the evening session.  But I personally agree with you-- give the 1 seed the most rest.   

 


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 9:17 am
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4540
Rep Pts: 11434
Post on old board: 18942
 

They should start Game 3 on Thursday as well as the 1st semi on Friday at 5 p.m.


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 9:57 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

They should start Game 3 on Thursday as well as the 1st semi on Friday at 5 p.m.

That’s way too early. It’s pretty tight leaving session #1 getting some food and back for session #2 (@ 6pm). Especially when session #1 runs late.

 


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 12:36 pm
skiier32
(@skiier32)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 77
Rep Pts: 212
 

@chris83 talked to one of the in arena announcers for the Tourney and he said was changed for this very reason, to give the 1 seed the max amount of rest before their 2nd and 3rd games should they win both.


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 2:14 pm
Chris83 reacted
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 976
Rep Pts: 3000
Post on old board: 6069
 

The 6pm start time is ok as long as it starts at 6. For a few years the game would start around 620 after TV did their intro, commercials, then player announcements and the anthem. They need to speed that up a bit. Start intros right away at 6 and get the game going. 


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 2:15 pm
gator reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4540
Rep Pts: 11434
Post on old board: 18942
 

Posted by: @gator
↑

Posted by: @slap-shot
↑

They should start Game 3 on Thursday as well as the 1st semi on Friday at 5 p.m.

That’s way too early. It’s pretty tight leaving session #1 getting some food and back for session #2 (@ 6pm). Especially when session #1 runs late.

That makes sense as a reason not to assuming they would never additionally move games 1 and 2 to 10 a.m. and Noon.  

Probably no perfect way to try and get G4 started sooner.  

 


 
Posted : Tue. Feb 17, 2026 3:39 pm
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Since seeding the Tourney, both girls and boys. It would be interesting the total quarterfinals upsets (8/1, 5/4, 7/2 and 6/3). Without doing much homework and looking I would assume the following.

1) Class A Girls: Not many upsets.

2) Class AA Girls: Not many, but more than Girls A.

3) Class A Boys: Not many upsets, but I would guess somewhere between Girls A and Girls AA.

4) Class AA Boys: Easily the most quarterfinal upsets. And I bet it isn't even close to the other 3. I wouldn't be surprised if Boys AA has as many as the other 3 combined. 

This is a smart group with LOTS of links and connections. I'll bet someone has the numbers and know where to get them. 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 18, 2026 2:46 pm
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 282
Rep Pts: 1114
 

Posted by: @snowcool08
↑

The 6pm start time is ok as long as it starts at 6. For a few years the game would start around 620 after TV did their intro, commercials, then player announcements and the anthem. They need to speed that up a bit. Start intros right away at 6 and get the game going. 

You aren't wrong, but with the turnaround between sessions in the locker rooms (which is usually only about 30-45 minutes at most, and they still need to clean), and the TV schedules (which generally go live only at 6pm and want to do even a little intro coming into it, as well as sell the most valuable ads they can at that hour), starting at 6pm pronto is just not in the cards.

We played against the #1 seed in that game a few years back and our schedule was dictated down to the minute as to when things would happen including warmups, resurfacing, and lineups.  They really try to keep that first game of a session on track because they do NOT want to disrupt all later games in a session more than they have to. 

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 18, 2026 5:48 pm
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Broten Level
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 2160
Rep Pts: 3072
Post on old board: 5547
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 4781
Rep Pts: 13809
Post on old board: 21741
 

So the 12th OT (day 3 of the epic tilt) was 3x3 and scoreless. Per a district decision earlier today they will go to a shootout.  

Sad to end it this way but probably the correct decision. 


“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
Posted : Wed. Feb 18, 2026 7:42 pm
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3769
Rep Pts: 11792
Post on old board: 10120
 

Posted by: @greyeagle
↑

So the 12th OT (day 3 of the epic tilt) was 3x3 and scoreless. Per a district decision earlier today they will go to a shootout.  

Sad to end it this way but probably the correct decision. 

But at this point why give up now!  

I wouldn’t be mad if hockey games could end in ties and points could just be split. 🤷‍♀️

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 18, 2026 8:38 pm
Greyeagle reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3331
Rep Pts: 7536
Post on old board: 10695
 

Posted by: @cowgirl
↑

Posted by: @greyeagle
↑

So the 12th OT (day 3 of the epic tilt) was 3x3 and scoreless. Per a district decision earlier today they will go to a shootout.  

Sad to end it this way but probably the correct decision. 

But at this point why give up now!  

I wouldn’t be mad if hockey games could end in ties and points could just be split. 🤷‍♀️

I agree on the not giving up now, but a tie isn't an option here, it's the playoffs.  (Not that I disagree during the regular season.  Ties are just fine, both teams take a point and move on with their respective lives)

 


 
Posted : Wed. Feb 18, 2026 9:10 pm



Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 23 years ago
Posts: 4781
Rep Pts: 13809
Post on old board: 21741
 

My guess is finding ice time was a challenge. 


“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 12:37 am
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Posted by: @greyeagle
↑

My guess is finding ice time was a challenge. 

Plus these were all U12’s. You can only stretch youth hockey so far with coaches and families. Work, school, other commitments… 

 

 


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 9:04 am
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 524
Rep Pts: 1506
 

Given my background, I am curious if it was the same officials for all periods of play, and how they were compensated...  

In every league I have ever worked, I have never been paid extra for overtime.  If you are making me come back to the rink on a different day to finish a game, I better be getting paid to do so.  Once I leave the arena, that 'shift' has ended.

I am also 100% sure the parents had no interest in any extra fees to compensate the officials, because every hockey parent I talk to already thinks the officials are paid way too much.

Add that to the list of reasons to end that game then, or earlier.


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 6:20 pm
Greyeagle reacted
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 1262
Rep Pts: 3941
Post on old board: 5631
 

Posted by: @fightclub30
↑

Given my background, I am curious if it was the same officials for all periods of play, and how they were compensated...  

In every league I have ever worked, I have never been paid extra for overtime.  If you are making me come back to the rink on a different day to finish a game, I better be getting paid to do so.  Once I leave the arena, that 'shift' has ended.

I am also 100% sure the parents had no interest in any extra fees to compensate the officials, because every hockey parent I talk to already thinks the officials are paid way too much.

Add that to the list of reasons to end that game then, or earlier.

If you're officiating a U12 girls game and that is your response to getting the chance to be a part of a game like that, you might be doing it for the wrong reasons. 

 


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 6:55 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2043
Rep Pts: 6153
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @j22
↑

Posted by: @fightclub30
↑

Given my background, I am curious if it was the same officials for all periods of play, and how they were compensated...  

In every league I have ever worked, I have never been paid extra for overtime.  If you are making me come back to the rink on a different day to finish a game, I better be getting paid to do so.  Once I leave the arena, that 'shift' has ended.

I am also 100% sure the parents had no interest in any extra fees to compensate the officials, because every hockey parent I talk to already thinks the officials are paid way too much.

Add that to the list of reasons to end that game then, or earlier.

If you're officiating a U12 girls game and that is your response to getting the chance to be a part of a game like that, you might be doing it for the wrong reasons. 

 

Nobody wants to ref for free including yourself if I had to guess.

 


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 7:38 pm
fightclub30, gator, Steve MN and 2 people reacted
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1382
Rep Pts: 4102
 

Posted by: @fightclub30
↑

Given my background, I am curious if it was the same officials for all periods of play, and how they were compensated...  

In every league I have ever worked, I have never been paid extra for overtime.  If you are making me come back to the rink on a different day to finish a game, I better be getting paid to do so.  Once I leave the arena, that 'shift' has ended.

I am also 100% sure the parents had no interest in any extra fees to compensate the officials, because every hockey parent I talk to already thinks the officials are paid way too much.

Add that to the list of reasons to end that game then, or earlier.

As a hockey dad from back when, I can easily say the refs had a job I wouldn’t want and put up with way too much nonsense and deserved every penny and then some.

 


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”

 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 8:06 pm
fightclub30 and gator reacted
fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Leopold Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 524
Rep Pts: 1506
 

Posted by: @j22
↑

Posted by: @fightclub30
↑

Given my background, I am curious if it was the same officials for all periods of play, and how they were compensated...  

In every league I have ever worked, I have never been paid extra for overtime.  If you are making me come back to the rink on a different day to finish a game, I better be getting paid to do so.  Once I leave the arena, that 'shift' has ended.

I am also 100% sure the parents had no interest in any extra fees to compensate the officials, because every hockey parent I talk to already thinks the officials are paid way too much.

Add that to the list of reasons to end that game then, or earlier.

If you're officiating a U12 girls game and that is your response to getting the chance to be a part of a game like that, you might be doing it for the wrong reasons. 

 

I mean sure... but also no.  I haven't skated youth hockey in quite some time, but on a dollar per hour requirement, I would make more money doing youth hockey than the levels I do now.  Nearly every official I know, especially those working U12 games have other jobs.  Most officials shift things around in their personal and professional lives to be able to work these games.  Not everyone works 9-5, M-F jobs.  What if one of those officials worked an evening shift and wasn't able to move that shift the next day on such short notice?  Now you are taking away the opportunity for them to continue to be part of that game they were assigned to and see it to the finish.  Or possibly making them risk their other job, the one that pays the bills (because U12 games sure don't), in order to work the continuation of that game.

I am not saying the overtime needs to be paid exactly the same as the original game assignment.  But some acknowledgment needs to be made that is is potentially a pretty big ask for someone.  You cannot just assume the same officials can just come back whenever the next day.  You could also say the same thing about parents an getting their children to the game, but the parents aren't 100% necessary to be there, officials are.

It isn't a cut and dry easy answer in my opinion.  And coming back to the rink once to finish it, is one thing.  Asking them to come back a third time is another, in my opinion.  (Obviously this is an extremely rare circumstance, thus why we are even talking about it). Most tournaments have things in the rules where, if it gets to this point, here is what we do.  To just have continual overtimes seems like a lack of foresight.  I am going to be there jerk here, is it really necessary for a U12 or PeeWee game to go 12 overtimes?  Was this a district championship?  I don't think regions or state are for another week or so.

Official's miss their own kid's events, family events, work events, etc. to be able to work games.  Asking/expecting someone to come back to the rink 3 nights in a row for one game (especially one that isn't a region championship or MN State game) is just silly to me.  What if they were assigned a different playoff game that third night, and now cannot work it because they have to go back and work the continuation of that original game?  Opportunity cost lost right there.

I am going to agree to disagree.  You don't have to agree with me, and I am nearly positive you won't.  But try and see it from the official's standpoint too.

EDITED TO ADD:  The "You should be honored just to be part of this" attitude is, in my opinion, a contributing factor as to why many newer officials don't stick around very long, and that we lost good, long-time officials who eventually say, I'm over it/its not worth it anymore.


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 8:12 pm
trixR4kids, Eric Vegoe, gator and 2 people reacted
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

@camo-coat-guy 

I wouldn’t want to be a high school official now days. 30 plus years ago, the stripes got razzed by fans/parents and definitely upset the coaches. Though now days, they definitely upset the coach and get razzed by the fans. It’s the parents who have lost their minds and go way overboard. I would not have no problem with booting parents if they want to act like they do at times. 


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 8:21 pm
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Brooks Level
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 1382
Rep Pts: 4102
 

@gator more than I can count embarrassing to be around certain people who feel the need to vent and way more times than not during pretty meaningless games in the grand scheme of things. I coached youth baseball and hate parents 😂


“Good pace, a lot of north and south, or it could be east and west, I’m not sure but either way…” Wooger
Pohlad baseball ⚾️ it’s not arrogance, we really are “that good” #”Hey Siri, play “faithfully” by Journey max volume”

 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 8:30 pm
gator reacted
Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Stauber Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 205
Rep Pts: 985
Post on old board: 8761
 

@fightclub30 Well said. Agree with all of this.


 
Posted : Thu. Feb 19, 2026 9:19 pm
gator reacted
gator
This user has been banned
(@gator)
Topic starter
 

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy
↑

@gator more than I can count embarrassing to be around certain people who feel the need to vent and way more times than not during pretty meaningless games in the grand scheme of things. I coached youth baseball and hate parents 😂

When I go to Farmington high school games, I really enjoy standing next to @skiier32 . Even though his son plays for Farmington, he is also an official. And he watches the game from a very neutral stance. Several times other parents will look over ask him about the call. Majority of the time he supports the stripe's call or may understand why they called what they did from their view on the ice. 

Though several times in the past years, I just want to tell fans and especially parents to put a cork in it. Last week on Saturday in Notre Dame, I notice Di Pasquo losing his skate blade almost at the moment he lost it, probably before Di Pasquo did. I was on that side of the ice and that side of the net. Di Pasquo stood up and tried to put his foot down, tried again and he realized he lost his blade. I was yelling he lost his blade. Eventually the official looked back and saw Di Pasquo raising his hand and standing on one foot. A few ND fans in my area didn't like the stripes stopping the game and were yelling about it. I was like he lost his blade, what are the stripes suppose to do, let play go on, until ND scores on on a helpless goalie. The ND fan in front of me didn't like any of it and my wife was squeezing my arm, giving me the look... lol!!!  

 


 
Posted : Fri. Feb 20, 2026 8:09 am
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2043
Rep Pts: 6153
Post on old board: 15139
 

Posted by: @fightclub30
↑

 

EDITED TO ADD:  The "You should be honored just to be part of this" attitude is, in my opinion, a contributing factor as to why many newer officials don't stick around very long, and that we lost good, long-time officials who eventually say, I'm over it/its not worth it anymore.

The mantra of many unsuccessful small companies that pay like shit 😆 

 


 
Posted : Fri. Feb 20, 2026 10:56 am



Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3574
Rep Pts: 9479
 

The Joker GIF

What makes The Joker so compelling is that he’s got some good points. 😉


 
Posted : Fri. Feb 20, 2026 11:17 am
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 3769
Rep Pts: 11792
Post on old board: 10120
 

Posted by: @gator
↑

Posted by: @camo-coat-guy
↑

@gator more than I can count embarrassing to be around certain people who feel the need to vent and way more times than not during pretty meaningless games in the grand scheme of things. I coached youth baseball and hate parents 😂

When I go to Farmington high school games, I really enjoy standing next to @skiier32 . Even though his son plays for Farmington, he is also an official. And he watches the game from a very neutral stance. Several times other parents will look over ask him about the call. Majority of the time he supports the stripe's call or may understand why they called what they did from their view on the ice. 

Though several times in the past years, I just want to tell fans and especially parents to put a cork in it. Last week on Saturday in Notre Dame, I notice Di Pasquo losing his skate blade almost at the moment he lost it, probably before Di Pasquo did. I was on that side of the ice and that side of the net. Di Pasquo stood up and tried to put his foot down, tried again and he realized he lost his blade. I was yelling he lost his blade. Eventually the official looked back and saw Di Pasquo raising his hand and standing on one foot. A few ND fans in my area didn't like the stripes stopping the game and were yelling about it. I was like he lost his blade, what are the stripes suppose to do, let play go on, until ND scores on on a helpless goalie. The ND fan in front of me didn't like any of it and my wife was squeezing my arm, giving me the look... lol!!!  

 

I thought they were supposed to switch goalies until the equipment issue could be fixed.  

/snark 😬

 


 
Posted : Fri. Feb 20, 2026 11:32 am
trixR4kids, gator, camo coat guy and 2 people reacted
Page 3 / 12

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad