131 Likes
12.6 K Views
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 414

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @gopherpete

I know it would never happen, but dream scenario for me would be to get rid of the 2 class tournament. Have a single tournament with a 16 team field. No section tournaments, just have it so that the top 16 teams ranked at the end of the year are the teams that make the tournament. This would no doubt showcase the best tournament that Minnesota high school hockey has to offer.

I could see doing this overall with the AA schools, but for A they don’t have the depth to hold up against AA, no matter how good their top end is because of how school sizes have gotten, especially if you’re playing these games on consecutive days. 

For me personally, I'd rather see the 16 best teams, regardless of school size or population. If the Warroads/Hermantowns/SCC teams are good enough to be there, then they should be there. But I don't necessarily enjoy seeing feel good story teams make it and then get destroyed. Those games are not exciting and don't highlight the talent that our state produces.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1231
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

St. Cloud Cathedral and Mahtomedi need somebody to beat in the Class A tournament to make the tournament more interesting.

And Andover needs someone to challenge them in a 7AA Final besides GR..,now that DE isn’t the same without Mike Randolph coaching &’Cloquet bailed to single A.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7299
Post on old board: 10120

Serious question - (I don’t follow high school hockey much) - if you aren’t a cake eater, are folks very excited about a final with Edina? 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7572

I've never liked Edina so anybody who plays Edina "Go Team playing Edina". 😆 

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 414

I have no problem with Edina, they are a skilled team that plays hard...I enjoy watching them.

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 573

Try being a school in Hermantown's conference who never gets to go to the tournament. I get the thought of, just beat them then, but it must be frustrating.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 582

Great for cathedral! Glad to see that, they deserved it, great goaltending, now I gotta go with Chan. After last night they gotta be thinking frustrate Edina because they couldn’t stay disciplined. Should be a good one!

ReplyQuote

camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

This one has the feeling of a classic in the making 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7572

The Edina 2 minute penalty could have been called 5 minutes. I hope the Chanhassen player is OK.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

How Edina doesn’t get a 5 minute major for that is beyond me. That was worse than anything called in the gophers game

Steve MN reacted
ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level

Lou with a classic line, “the best thing that happened for Edina that period is the horn went off”😂

ReplyQuote
Old Section 8
(@old-section-8)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 27

Edina is hanging on. They don't have any great playmakers that can make a difference. I think this is case of a senior dominated team taking it to a younger team. Bigger isn't better on this level.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5205

Edina found some legs in the third. They’ve tied it up and the ice isn’t tilted one way anymore. 

Edit: Now they take the lead with a PPG. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3955
Post on old board: 12555

The 45 app sucks golf balls through garden hoses.  Keeps stalling on me.  In 2024 they should have this figured out.

ReplyQuote

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5205

I had better luck saying I’m watching on a computer, but it still froze here and there. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2253

Buzz buzz 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7086
Post on old board: 18942

The entire rest of the state had 1 job!! 

gopheritall reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10632
Post on old board: 21741

The Edina goalie was a joy to watch, every time they showed him on the scoreboard after a save, flurry, whatever he was smiling and laughing and enjoying the moment.  You could tell his teammates loved him and he was easy to root for.

Caden Lee (24) from Chan has the potential to be a very good D1 player.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5677
Post on old board: 16243

Paging @cowgirl 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2620
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @greyeagle

The Edina goalie was a joy to watch, every time they showed him on the scoreboard after a save, flurry, whatever he was smiling and laughing and enjoying the moment.  You could tell his teammates loved him and he was easy to root for.

Caden Lee (24) from Chan has the potential to be a very good D1 player.

I made this observation as well. The moment was not too big for him. That's the guy you want in the net with the game on the line--and he proved it.

I have a beef with the cross-check against Chanhassen that led to the ensuing Edina go-ahead goal. It should not have been called or both players should have gone to the box. That little kerfuffle happened in front of the benches away from the play and had no impact on the game. The Edina kid came in a little late on his hit and the Chan kid responded with a short jab back. The Hornet falls on the ice like a thunderbolt hit him. Of course, the "victim" was snickering on the bench as he got away with something. 

As a ref, I would never make a late one-sided, game-changing call like that on a play that meant nothing. It reminded me of the NCAA championship game last spring. Sure, Cooley was an idiot for standing there engaging with a player away from the puck while his team was up late by a goal, but the ref has a greater responsibility to call a fair game. If a player gets tripped or hacked and loses possession of the puck, that should be called no matter the score or time of the game. But two players giving each other the business away from the play? That's both or neither.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12642
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/David_LaVaque/status/1766898508815097889

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

I’m a big fan of Curt Giles, Lechner (Hill) and Randolph (STA). Want to see their teams at State, cause of their coaching style. Though every time I see Giles, I see Cotton Hill from ‘King of the Hill’.

IMG 0488

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 992
Post on old board: 8405

Posted by: @bertogliat

The 45 app sucks golf balls through garden hoses.  Keeps stalling on me.  In 2024 they should have this figured out.

Give the rights back to Channel 4    45 will never be close to what Channel 4 did in the past

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

Does anyone know how long Chanhassen has had a youth program.  Someone was saying only 4 kids on that team played for their youth program, the rest are outsiders.  I find that hard to believe.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bert

Does anyone know how long Chanhassen has had a youth program.  Someone was saying only 4 kids on that team played for their youth program, the rest are outsiders.  I find that hard to believe.

They co-op with Chaska for youth hockey. And at the Tourney a Chan family sat behind me. I asked the dad some questions about their feeder programs. I'm more confused after than before. It's sounds like both cities could have their own programs. Though his son was 1 of 4 Chaska kids to play at his level. And I've heard the same rumor about the the high school team, that the group of Sr's they had came from all over. 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

Posted by: @gator

They co-op with Chaska for youth hockey. And at the Tourney a Chan family sat behind me. I asked the dad some questions about their feeder programs. I'm more confused after than before. It's sounds like both cities could have their own programs. Though his son was 1 of 4 Chaska kids to play at his level. And I've heard the same rumor about the the high school team, that the group of Sr's they had came from all over. 

People were saying the same about Tonka  13 kids from outside the youth program.   Who knows   But it needs to stop.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@bert 

I've heard stuff about Tonka for the last couple years. Though I ever heard a conversation by someone sitting in my section about how Edina recruits. The Edina one was news to me. They are pretty good about developing their own talent or families more to Edina. So basically people talk to talk, have no clue what they are talking about and as you said... who knows. 

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

I would think the Edina youth program speaks for the talent the HS team has.  Don't they have the biggest youth system out there?

ReplyQuote

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7086
Post on old board: 18942

Tonka's youth program has been well ranked through the years down into squirts. Also while they had several transfers, I believe a few had previous ties to MYHA at some point in their past.  And despite it being a larger school district, overall school enrollment in the district has been down significantly so that plays a part in all of this. I doubt anyone really knows how much 'recruiting' happened, but surely it's not limited to Tonka and Chan to any degree. 

I'm curious how many players schools like Tonka, Wayz, MG, Edina, Chan, etc. didn't have on their rosters this year from playing juniors instead. 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

People were saying the same about Tonka  13 kids from outside the youth program.   Who knows   But it needs to stop.

Stop what?  Open enrollment? 

They are not indentured servants.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Doc Holliday
(@doc-holliday)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 120

Not that this is the end all, be all, but here are the 2016-17 Squirt A rosters for C/C, Edina (White & Green) & Minnetonka.  Seniors & a small amount of juniors.

ReplyQuote
Doc Holliday
(@doc-holliday)
Lucia Level

2018-2019 Pee Wee AA's C/C & Edina (couldn't find Minnetonka)

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

I would think the Edina youth program speaks for the talent the HS team has.  Don't they have the biggest youth system out there?

@vegoe may know or have the numbers. I may be dating myself, though I'm pretty sure WBL had the largest feeder system for a couple years. 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Going back to Chanhassen. Just curious how much in hurts a program in high school when they co-op? You have Chan/Chaska, Osseo/Maple Grove, Centennial/SPL...

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

Stop what?  Open enrollment? 

They are not indentured servants.  

Stop everything  LOL

Just me not a fan of kids playing lets say for Blaine Youth Hockey but hey Hockey is better at Andover so I am going to go there for HS 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Then you might as well stop watching because it's not going to change.  Ever.

ReplyQuote
Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

Then you might as well stop watching because it's not going to change.  Ever.

We can only hope it could change back to the way it was.    IMO I don't understand some of the kids that grow up playing with their buds then ditch them to play for a better program.  Hell I would rather see them go play in the USHL 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

Going back to Chanhassen. Just curious how much in hurts a program in high school when they co-op? You have Chan/Chaska, Osseo/Maple Grove, Centennial/SPL...

centennial and Spring Lake Park don’t co-op for the boys, only the girls.  Co-op girls team is common due to lower numbers.

Osseo Maple grove is a huge program and they are a juggernaut, but I think the vast majority of those kids are Maple Grove players and they only co-op because Osseo is tiny and couldn’t field teams…maybe I’m wrong but if that’s the case I don’t see a way around it unless Osseo co-ops with Champlin Park instead.

cha-cha has been a co-op for a while and they’re pretty successful at youth levels but nothing to fear.

Woodbury has very good youth hockey but the kids all split up when they get to high school.  

Wayzata, Edina and OMGHA seem to be the largest programs for youth hockey.  keep in mind a decent number of players from SW metro (Edina, Tonka, etc) also play Made/Choice instead of playing for their association.

Eden Prairie is an interesting g association.  Smaller than I would have guessed.  Only 4 bantam teams this year.  No A team. But they still get the plenty of top high school players somehow.

WBL is not that big (similar in numbers to Blaine).

ReplyQuote
Doc Holliday
(@doc-holliday)
Lucia Level

EP may be ok next year....but they may be about to take a downslide come 25-26 going forward.  

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1303

This is always the big one to check on 8U hockey numbers. I noted the big associations.

Edina 499 8U players in 22-23

OMG 424

Minnetonka 467

Wayzata 512

Lakeville 377

Rochester 341

Stillwater 347

White Bear Lake 317

Chaska/Chan 307

Blaine 293

Duluth 292

Eagan 289

Woodbury 288

Cottage Grove 288

Prior Lake 285

Centennial 284

Mounds View 288

Hastings 265

Minneapolis 255

Orono 227

Rogers 214

STMA 208

Andover 201

Rosemount 199

Mahtomedia 194

EP 192

Farmington 187

Jefferson 182

Elk River 178

Moorhead 177

Mankato 176

Grand Rapids 175

ReplyQuote
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 843
Post on old board: 5335

Didn't realize the demographic shift was that stark in EP yet, but it sure appears it's going a lot faster than the ramp up.  

ReplyQuote

HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 533

Woodbury has very good youth hockey but the kids all split up when they get to high school. 

Can confirm this.  Can also confirm that demographics for the 2 public schools in this town highly favor East Ridge (about 2/3rds of the kids in the youth program live in the ER boundary).  I guess having 2 high schools personally worked to our advantage, as my daughter played for Woodbury HS this past season.  If we had a single giant high school like Stillwater, she might have gotten cut.

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @hockeybum

Can confirm this.  Can also confirm that demographics for the 2 public schools in this town highly favor East Ridge (about 2/3rds of the kids in the youth program live in the ER boundary).  I guess having 2 high schools personally worked to our advantage, as my daughter played for Woodbury HS this past season.  If we had a single giant high school like Stillwater, she might have gotten cut.

Does Eastridge draw from the Cottage Grove association, too?  
I seem to recall the (bizarre) attendance boundary extending that far south when the school opened. 

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1138
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @hockeybum

Does Eastridge draw from the Cottage Grove association, too?  
I seem to recall the (bizarre) attendance boundary extending that far south when the school opened. 

Yes East Ridge does extend into Cottage Grove as well. The school sits about a mile from the Woodbury/Cottage Grove border. 

The city of Woodbury is split into 4 school districts. Tartan, Stillwater, Woodbury HS, and East Ridge. Plus there’s Hill-Murray taking some students. 

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @snowcool08

Yes East Ridge does extend into Cottage Grove as well. The school sits about a mile from the Woodbury/Cottage Grove border. 

The city of Woodbury is split into 4 school districts. Tartan, Stillwater, Woodbury HS, and East Ridge. Plus there’s Hill-Murray taking some students.

Yep, it's always had crazy district boundaries; not New Hope/Robbinsdale/Crystal/the Brooklyn's/Osseo crazy but still crazy.  When I went to Woodbury it included all of Newport and several parts of Cottage Grove, areas toward Afton along Bailey & Military and even some neighborhoods just north of Park HS where Tower Rd used to dump into 70th St.  I would imagine as Woodbury grew many of those areas moved to Park and eventually some to Eastridge.   

As Woodbury has expanded east along I94 Stillwater is getting more students, I think their portion of Woodbury north of Brookview and east somewhere between Radio & Woodbury Drives.  It may even expand further south as you move east, I thought I heard the new homes east of Settlers Parkway is in the Stillwater district. Tartan's area was always a small chunk of Woodbury Heights along 94, just a few blocks if i recall correctly.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

When I went to Woodbury it included all of Newport and several parts of Cottage Grove, areas toward Afton along Bailey & Military and even some neighborhoods just north of Park HS where Tower Rd used to dump into 70th St.  

Yeah, but you went to school with a horse and buggy... 😉

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

Are there any youth association that DONT follow school district boundaries?  As far as I know everyone does but some may combine school districts 

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692
Post on old board: 10695

Gotta love that the whole Hockey Hair thing has gotten big enough to deserve a New York Times article:  https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/style/minnesota-hockey-hair.html

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @orion

Are there any youth association that DONT follow school district boundaries?  As far as I know everyone does but some may combine school districts 

Rochester, Duluth and Minneapolis combine their players into a single youth program.  

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 12