Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.5 K Views
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

Lately?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

g-manpuck reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2203
Post on old board: 6782

I didn't mean to elicit a response by my post about the high hopes for the Gophers 2022 season.  I guess as a fan I am prone to trying to be grounded in my expectations of my team.  I was a little surprised by the high expectations by two of the well known writers of the Gopher football team. 

I'll stick by my stance that the Big Ten West will be a coin flip right now, by mid-season I think it will be clearer who will win it. 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1708

Posted by: @g-manpuck

I didn't mean to elicit a response by my post about the high hopes for the Gophers 2022 season.  I guess as a fan I am prone to trying to be grounded in my expectations of my team.  I was a little surprised by the high expectations by two of the well known writers of the Gopher football team. 

I'll stick by my stance that the Big Ten West will be a coin flip right now, by mid-season I think it will be clearer who will win it. 

I agree. I don’t think there’s much difference between UW/Iowa/MN.  I would think it will be a lot like last year with tiebreakers coming into play.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

g-manpuck reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3335
Post on old board: 30840

I mean Fargo Flash has literally never picked the Gophers to not go undefeated since the first time he went on KFAN. He has them winning every single game every single week. 

I think the fans are right to be optimistic. The OL lost a lot last year for sure, but they returned JMS and brought in Quinn Carroll via transfer and have quite a few OL who saw time last year (particularly Ruschmeyer and Boe). Fleck is very very high on Ersery (the projected LT) and Ruschmeyer started 6 or 7 games in 2020. They may not be as outright dominant as they were last year but they should be solid still.

The secondary lost Coney Durr which will likely be a pretty big loss, as he was a very good corner here for us for a couple years. But Walley, Terrell Smith, Nubin, and Howden all returned and they brought in two high end transfers (Beanie Bishop and Ryan Stapp) and have a lot of talented freshmen corners/defensive backs that could crack the lineup soon - particularly guys like Steven Ortiz and Rhyland Kelley. 

The run defense was one of the best in the entire nation last year - I think they finished 8th in yards allowed/game. They lost Mafe and Otomewo to the NFL and Jack Gibbens, who was an absolute stud last season, signed as an UDFA. The loss of Gibbens is going to hurt the LB group but Mariano Sori-Marin returned and was very good last season. Braelen Oliver is back as well and if he can stay healthy is a very good LB. The LB group has typically been very good under Rossi so hopefully they are strong enough to balance the loss of Gibbens this year. The defensive line obviously took 2 big hits with Mafe and Otomeo, but also lost Pinkney and Dew-Treadway.  They returned Thomas Rush as the primary pass rusher, who was very good last season and hopefully will build on it with more snaps. There are a lot of talented defensive linemen in the program that will have to step up to fill some big shoes.

Rau4SkiUMah and MNGO4S33 reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6966
Post on old board: 18942

My concerns until proven hopefully wrong will be both lines, LB and WR.  I am more sold on Tanner than some if the OL can protect and if the return of their OC can find the magic they had in 2019.  There are legit reasons for optimistism for sure and I hope they'll live up to them.

D2D reacted
OkComputer
(@okcomputer)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 40

Half of Paul Allen's KFAN show at the State Fair on Thursday should be up for the PST Tournament next year.  Fargo Flash and Ryan Burns set the bar pretty high for this Gopher Football team.  While Minnesota has the easier schedule for crossover games, I would be awfully cautious to pick a sweep of Wisconsin and Iowa by the Gophers. 

I will agree that the West will be won by one of these three teams but I think it's a coin toss to who will win when they face each other. 

Pretty sure Fargo Flash’s thing is just a bit.

Burns is serious but said he sees odds of winning the west at 40% MN, 30% IA, 30% WI. Doesn’t seem that preposterous. Plus, look at Burns’s predictions over the last several years and he’s been spot on except for 2020.

Maybe preposterous is in the mirror? Wink  

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1795
Post on old board: 8686

This team is a 7-10 win team in my mind.  It really comes down to how do they play against WI, IA, and NE and managing to not fall victim to last year’s odd ducks like Bowling Green and Illinois.

If this team executes on all cylinders, they’re in Indy.  If they don’t, that over / under could be the under.

I’m going to go with a 9 win season.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I get the concerns about WR but Dylan Wright is super talented. Not sure why he didn't get going last season but it feels like its only a matter of time.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @chill-kessel

I get the concerns about WR but Dylan Wright is super talented. Not sure why he didn't get going last season but it feels like its only a matter of time.

Tanner Morgan’s dad passed away right before last season started so I am going to give the passing game the benefit of doubt.  I expect a better season this year.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @okcomputer

Half of Paul Allen's KFAN show at the State Fair on Thursday should be up for the PST Tournament next year.  Fargo Flash and Ryan Burns set the bar pretty high for this Gopher Football team.  While Minnesota has the easier schedule for crossover games, I would be awfully cautious to pick a sweep of Wisconsin and Iowa by the Gophers. 

I will agree that the West will be won by one of these three teams but I think it's a coin toss to who will win when they face each other. 

Burns is serious but said he sees odds of winning the west at 40% MN, 30% IA, 30% WI. Doesn’t seem that preposterous. Plus, look at Burns’s predictions over the last several years and he’s been spot on except for 2020.

Ha ha...no. 

I did read his article in Gopher Illustrated and to me still the biggest hole in his predictions is back to back wins over Iowa and Wisconsin.  One game is at home and one is on the road.  To me the best hope for the Gophers is to come out one win and one loss, flip a coin on which way that happens.  A sweep by any of the three teams is unlikely in my opinion. 

For the record...I have my Hawkeyes as an 8-4 team.  I see losses to Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, and either Wisconsin or Minnesota.  I know that Northwestern seems like a stretch but Iowa has lost to them in Iowa City their last three games.  Iowa's last home win versus Northwestern was in 2014. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

My guess is that it was a combination of Tanner's family life and the OC being terrible. It seemed like 90% of the time the WR ran 2 routes and 2 routes only. There were very few read-options where Tanner could pull the ball down and hit a WR on a slant or a sluggo route. Two routes they absolutely devastated teams with under Ciarrocca in 2019 (obviously Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman are NFL players now so that probably helped matters). Morgan's arm strength is not his best feature, yet too often it seemed like they had him just trying to throw a straight vertical route last year rather than get a WR open from route combinations and let Tanner hit him in the 20-30 yard window. 

Wright has a lot of talent. So does Daniel Jackson and Chris Autman-Bell, and Mike Brown-Stephens was arguably our most consistent receiver last season. Losing Brady Boyd hurts, as I think he had the potential to be a very very good receiver here. 

If those 4 stay healthy and Brevyn stays healthy, I think Tanner has a very good season.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1276

Posted by: @beauner

I think the fans are right to be optimistic. The OL lost a lot last year for sure, but they returned JMS and brought in Quinn Carroll via transfer and have quite a few OL who saw time last year (particularly Ruschmeyer and Boe). Fleck is very very high on Ersery (the projected LT) and Ruschmeyer started 6 or 7 games in 2020. They may not be as outright dominant as they were last year but they should be solid still.

The defensive line obviously took 2 big hits with Mafe and Otomeo, but also lost Pinkney and Dew-Treadway.

I actually think the OL has a chance to be better than the one last year with some guys who are a little more athletic and nimble on their feet. I know that the size of the group last year was something special, but I think the weaknesses showed up when they couldn't produce against Bowling Green and Illinois. I'm actually shocked that Wisconsin didn't learn anything from the film to take advantage.

I think the Gophers have started to build some depth at DL, but I worry about the turnover especially with the run stoppers in the middle. It's an under-appreciated role the space eaters take up in there, but the fast LBs don't look so quick if they have to take on blockers to their reads or worse have to guess to beat the back to the hole.

This season for me comes down to if they can take care of business against Iowa. Fleck's staff hasn't been able to do it so far and I think it puts the program in a massive position to win the west if they pull that one off on senior day... but I'll believe it when I see it.

MNGO4S33 reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

I think the o line will be a strength myself for quite a few reasons but that is always tough to gauge.  All reports were the D line looked good and is deeper, lets just hope someone develops into a Mafe who takes control.  That will be the key.

I believe Dylan Wright had some off the field things that caused his season to go the way it did.  A death of some sort either a friend or relative.  IIRC he missed a game because of the funeral or something.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Cannot wait to take down Kill and his Aggies. 

A lot of recycled gopher coaches down in the state of New Mexico right now. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't know the lot or # yet but we'll be at a tailgate behind Mariucci on Thursday night if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. 

OkComputer
(@okcomputer)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 40

Posted by: @okcomputer

Ha ha...no. 

I did read his article in Gopher Illustrated and to me still the biggest hole in his predictions is back to back wins over Iowa and Wisconsin.  One game is at home and one is on the road.  To me the best hope for the Gophers is to come out one win and one loss, flip a coin on which way that happens.  A sweep by any of the three teams is unlikely in my opinion. 

For the record...I have my Hawkeyes as an 8-4 team.  I see losses to Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, and either Wisconsin or Minnesota.  I know that Northwestern seems like a stretch but Iowa has lost to them in Iowa City their last three games.  Iowa's last home win versus Northwestern was in 2014. 

It’s a freaking game-by-game prediction for the season and you want to call it preposterous cause he said they’d win two coin flips in a row? 25% chance is preposterous? Ok Iowa.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Laugh

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

HAPPY GOPHER GAMEDAY!!! 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @youngeagle

HAPPY GOPHER GAMEDAY!!! 

College Sports Cape GIF by Minnesota Gophers

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4368

Very high hopes for this season. Can't wait to get down there tonight for the game. Go Gophers!

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

I hope Jer experiences a large beatdown tonight.  Such a bitter man.

gator reacted

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4600
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @border-gopher

I hope Jer experiences a large beatdown tonight.  Such a bitter man.

He seemed mostly ok until the program teetered on collapse (particularly off-field) with Claeys.  I get being loyal to the people you bring in to a program, but could anyone reasonably expect the school to keep any coach around that was in charge when that all came out?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

The B1G Trailblazers show currently on BTN features Tony Dungy. Really fascinating and highly suggest looking for a replay to watch. 

He’s such an interesting man. One interesting tidbit, Tony’s father was a Tuskegee Airman. 

HandyNotDan reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

This beautiful moment truly deserves a sappy Celine Dion song.

https://twitter.com/DannySpewak/status/1565493090005045248?s=20&t=3OuF0-_nZ586uTrAAKj_wg

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

That's a good start.....but will most likely be overturned in review.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Took too much time on that drive. Won't reach 70 points that way. 

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5288
Post on old board: 15786

Jerry Kill is well prepared for Halloween... He's got the homeless person look down pat.

MG M  

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bigbeer reacted
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @jupiter

Jerry Kill is well prepared for Halloween... He's got the homeless person look down pat.

MG M  

th 926629012

HandyNotDan reacted

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5596
Post on old board: 16243

I seriously think most of these color announcers are getting worse. They either state the obvious, have no clue what they are talking about or just talk to talk and hear themselves talk.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

That Aggie defense is pumped up now that they made a tackle and held us to a field goal. GAME ON

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

So the rule is you can toe tap for a catch but if you're trying to get a foot down it has to be the whole foot? What an odd way to write a rule.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gator

I seriously think most of these color announcers are getting worse. They either state the obvious, have no clue what they are talking about or just talk to talk and hear themselves talk.

To be fair to Millen, this is as good as he gets....which is not saying much.

Unfortunately, whenever he says he likes a player every NFL GM promptly crosses the player off their draft list. ? 

D2D and Border Gopher reacted
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

Millen takes Autman-Bell in the 1st, no doubt. 

HandyNotDan reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

Fleck looks weird, right? Is it just me?

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

He had surgery on his face.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

Millen takes Autman-Bell in the 1st, no doubt. 

Oh for sure!

And Bateman the previous year with Johnson on the roster from a couple years before.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Sori-Marin reminds me of Bateman in the movie ‘The Replacements’.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level

• Posted by: @karlsson

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/pj-fleck-recovering-from-facial-surgery/amp/

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

MN owned the first half, as they should have, and hopefully they do not let up to start the 2nd half.  

Do not give NMSU any hope.  None.  

season 3 starz GIF by Black Sails

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

So the rule is you can toe tap for a catch but if you're trying to get a foot down it has to be the whole foot? What an odd way to write a rule.

When I saw the replay, I said "TD". Then I heard the explanation and just rolled my eyes.  They make such silly and unnecessary rules in sports.  Especially when they want more offensive and scoring.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Took too much time on that drive. Won't reach 70 points that way. 

I rather them run the offense and not have an air attack just to put 70 on Jerry "Springer" Kill.  Though they need to cover... LoL!!!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4600
Post on old board: 10695

Got the game up finally, but certainly seems like the kind of warm up game the team needed.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3954
Post on old board: 9428

How is Kill a D1 head coach? He looks like the guy who fixes my mower…

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

The rumors that MN has a punter are true.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

Solid win.

MG M

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 241
Post on old board: 8761

Fun night at the Bank. Did exactly what you need to do against a bad team. Give them no hope. Felt like we easily could have gotten over 50 points but PJ called off his dogs in the 4th. Impressive turnout in the student sections which was great to see. Mo looked really good which was great to see. ?

HandyNotDan reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4584
Post on old board: 28736

The call was correct and the rule was butchered by Millen. (Mike P. tried clearing it up a bit)

He didn't toe tap he put his foot flat.  If any part of the foot is deemed out of bounds it is out of bounds.  A toe tape requires forward momentum and a next step. (or hop)  If he had gotten a second step in his heel is immaterial.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

It sure looked to us from section 239 that he got his right foot down first making the "toe drag" argument moot. 

The student section was PACKED and looked even bigger than I remember from the OSU game last year, but I might have that wrong.

It was nice to see Tanner checking down to 2nd and 3rd reads a few times, but boy he sure stares down his #1 a bit too much for my liking.

Loved seeing Mo and Potts get the run game going.

Any word on the OL (#65?) that went down for a bit but did walk off the field.

The squirrel was awesome but I can't believe they let it run around as long as they did before making any effort to make it skidaddle. 

SkiUMahLaw reacted
SkiUMahLaw
(@skiumahlaw)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 556

I was shocked as to how bad NMSU's gameplan was.

They insisted on running between their tackles even though nothing was there.  Their QB could only see if he was rolling out but of course he was running for his life out in space.

Their Defensive gameplan was to take 5 guys out of the box to prevent a big play-- thus allowing Ibrahim and Potts to gash their front guys over and over and over again. Normally teams try to make Tanner Morgan beat you by stopping the Gopher running game, but NMSU kept trying to dare us not to run the ball.  Even when down by three scores.

Seemed to me NMSU waved the white flag in the first quarter.  Fleck was quite gentlemanly-- if the Gophers didn't wait until there were 2 seconds on the playclock to snap the ball each play, there would have been a ton of extra time.  But we were content to get 8+ yards a carry with our starters and just grind them down.

#11 for NMSU was jawing all game at the Gophers, including Ibrahim.  At one point Ibrahim just looked at him as if "what are you talking about?"   Did he not realize he needs to go back to Las Cruces?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

Posted by: @gator
Posted by: @karlsson

He had surgery on his face.

Well that would certainly explain it.

Page 3 / 20