Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.9 K Views
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

I appreciated that we played a bad opponent and just kicked their sorry arses instead of letting them hang around and playing down to their level.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

gator reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4593
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @slap-shot

It sure looked to us from section 239 that he got his right foot down first making the "toe drag" argument moot. 

The student section was PACKED and looked even bigger than I remember from the OSU game last year, but I might have that wrong.

It was nice to see Tanner checking down to 2nd and 3rd reads a few times, but boy he sure stares down his #1 a bit too much for my liking.

Loved seeing Mo and Potts get the run game going.

Any word on the OL (#65?) that went down for a bit but did walk off the field.

The squirrel was awesome but I can't believe they let it run around as long as they did before making any effort to make it skidaddle. 

He didn't the replay showed it pretty clearly.  Toes are not enough and his heel was well into the white area.  Great catch he just didn't cut off his route early enough.

Glad to hear the student section was packed.  Whoever came up with the idea of giving the students (especially frosh) free tix to the first game has really helped revitalize that section.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @skiumahlaw

I was shocked as to how bad NMSU's gameplan was.

They insisted on running between their tackles even though nothing was there.  Their QB could only see if he was rolling out but of course he was running for his life out in space.

Their Defensive gameplan was to take 5 guys out of the box to prevent a big play-- thus allowing Ibrahim and Potts to gash their front guys over and over and over again. Normally teams try to make Tanner Morgan beat you by stopping the Gopher running game, but NMSU kept trying to dare us not to run the ball.  Even when down by three scores.

Seemed to me NMSU waved the white flag in the first quarter.  Fleck was quite gentlemanly-- if the Gophers didn't wait until there were 2 seconds on the playclock to snap the ball each play, there would have been a ton of extra time.  But we were content to get 8+ yards a carry with our starters and just grind them down.

#11 for NMSU was jawing all game at the Gophers, including Ibrahim.  At one point Ibrahim just looked at him as if "what are you talking about?"   Did he not realize he needs to go back to Las Cruces?

They better get used to this...this was Jerry Kill ball to a T.  More than a few times watching them I thought "good god I remember when we did stuff like that".

And for most of the first half we didn't milk the clock as much as we did last year.  And we showed more variable sets in one quarter than Sanford did in his entire run as OC here.  KC knows how to play to our teams strengths and minimize our weaknesses.  He also knows how to change a gameplan if things aren't working.  Getting him back was huge!

SkiUMahLaw and gator reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3345
Post on old board: 30840

Obviously the gameplan was pretty monotonous last night (for good reason, the game was pretty much over pretty quickly). But I appreciated seeing some different route combinations early on. Deep crossing routes (the first throw to MBS was a route I don't remember seeing Sanford call a single time last season) and more tight end involvement is a positive sign for the Gophers offense. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Obviously the gameplan was pretty monotonous last night (for good reason, the game was pretty much over pretty quickly). But I appreciated seeing some different route combinations early on. Deep crossing routes (the first throw to MBS was a route I don't remember seeing Sanford call a single time last season) and more tight end involvement is a positive sign for the Gophers offense. 

Agreed.  Bringing back the short and medium crossing routes (a staple of KC's offense and Tanner's best throwing plays) was what I was looking for and we saw enough of them.  We also saw more TE routes (one play we had 2 TEs in routes!) and even designed throws to the RB that weren't just screens.  We may have played vanilla, but we showed diversity which we didn't do last year.

As for the overall gameplan...Jerry had the D playing 2 deep with usually 6-7 in the box.  They obviously feared big plays and would rather give up a 7-8 yard run than a 20+ yard pass.  If they are going to hand you big chunks of yardage you take it.  Most of Mo's runs he was 4 yards past the LOS before he was touched. (same with Potts)

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gopher defensive lineman just got called for roughing the passer when he had his hands on the QB before he even threw the pass. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10550
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

There goes my dream of not giving a point during the season.  

Ballard

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1208

Gopher defensive lineman just got called for roughing the passer when he had his hands on the QB before he even threw the pass. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Contact to the head?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mnnavy

Contact to the head?

Obeying the laws of gravity? ?

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5170

Yeah that was wild. Cost us the season shutout.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @mnnavy

Contact to the head?

I don't think he touched his head unless you count almost landing on it

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Referees are getting an awful lot of airtime so far.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

This is a whoopin'.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Morgan looks awfully good today. Seeing more route combinations again and Morgan is making some great throws.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5547

I know Flecks idea of black and white is new but I do not like their black uniforms with white Helmets

Aloha!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Wow. What a ridiculous INT from Howden.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

That was a wicked amazing int!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Morgan to Spann-Ford for an easy 55 yard TD makes it 45-3 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Goldy getting a hell of a workout today. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Morgan looks awfully good today. Seeing more route combinations again and Morgan is making some great throws.

Kaliakmanis doesn't look terrible, either. Goldy Dance

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

What a beast of a run from Jelen. Goldy has to do another 62 push-ups. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12570
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1568684184113135617

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

Such a fun game to be at. Love a good non-conference beat down. 

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 241
Post on old board: 8761

Posted by: @gopher6

I know Flecks idea of black and white is new but I do not like their black uniforms with white Helmets

I know I’m in the minority but I liked the unis and especially the helmets today. Obviously prefer the traditional school colors but for an alternate uni thought they were cool.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7264
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @sunbone

I know I’m in the minority but I liked the unis and especially the helmets today. Obviously prefer the traditional school colors but for an alternate uni thought they were cool.

Much better than the anthracite imho.

GoldyGopher81
(@goldygopher81)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 84

Posted by: @sunbone

You’re not in the minority. Very popular in section 115. Don’t tell Jup that, you will get blocked from Twitter.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5650
Post on old board: 16243

Liked what I have seen on both sides of the ball last Thursday and today. The Gophers are using the non conference schedule exactly what it’s meant for. And even next week vs. Colorado, the Buffs don’t look much better than last year. Would’ve like to see a Colorado team at 2-0 with 2 convincing wins coming to the Twin Cities.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7264
Post on old board: 10120

I’m in Colorado next weekend for a course I’m taking for work. Sadly I have class all day Saturday, but I will make sure to rep as much maroon and gold as possible!

Slap Shot reacted

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

The ‘Oregon craze’ of multiple helmets and uniforms is a gimmick. Millennials and younger love them. Gen X and older are blah about it. Me personally I would like a home, away and alt jersey. Same pants regardless. And one helmet with the block “M” and changing the “M”s color and images in it once or twice a year. Though if I was in my 20s. A different uniform and helmet might be cool.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7015
Post on old board: 18942

I'd prefer they up the NC SOS a bit in coming years. I don't expect them to play Alabama but the teams they've played so far are awful.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

I'd prefer they up the NC SOS a bit in coming years. I don't expect them to play Alabama but the teams they've played so far are awful.

Though when they scheduled Colorado, Colorado wasn’t the cesspool it is now.

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 753

Call me crazy but a home at home with Iowa State would be fun

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @orion

Call me crazy but a home at home with Iowa State would be fun

They did back in 1989 (@ Ames) and 1990 (@ the Dome). And in 1997 the Gophers hosted ISU at the Dome.

GoldyGopher81
(@goldygopher81)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 84

Ask and you shall receive. North Carolina, Cal and Miss State all on the schedule in the next five years. And…. Bowling Green.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

It was a weak call, but the reason he got it was because he easily could have stopped and knew the QB didn't have the ball and chose not to.  If the game was in doubt in any way they likely don't call it but it was a pretty dumb effort by the lineman and it was an easy way for the refs to let WIU keep a little pride.

OkComputer
(@okcomputer)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 40

Posted by: @okcomputer
Posted by: @g-manpuck
Posted by: @okcomputer
Posted by: @g-manpuck

Half of Paul Allen's KFAN show at the State Fair on Thursday should be up for the PST Tournament next year.  Fargo Flash and Ryan Burns set the bar pretty high for this Gopher Football team.  While Minnesota has the easier schedule for crossover games, I would be awfully cautious to pick a sweep of Wisconsin and Iowa by the Gophers. 

I will agree that the West will be won by one of these three teams but I think it's a coin toss to who will win when they face each other. 

Pretty sure Fargo Flash’s thing is just a bit.

Burns is serious but said he sees odds of winning the west at 40% MN, 30% IA, 30% WI. Doesn’t seem that preposterous. Plus, look at Burns’s predictions over the last several years and he’s been spot on except for 2020.

Maybe preposterous is in the mirror? Wink  

Ha ha...no. 

I did read his article in Gopher Illustrated and to me still the biggest hole in his predictions is back to back wins over Iowa and Wisconsin.  One game is at home and one is on the road.  To me the best hope for the Gophers is to come out one win and one loss, flip a coin on which way that happens.  A sweep by any of the three teams is unlikely in my opinion. 

For the record...I have my Hawkeyes as an 8-4 team.  I see losses to Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, and either Wisconsin or Minnesota.  I know that Northwestern seems like a stretch but Iowa has lost to them in Iowa City their last three games.  Iowa's last home win versus Northwestern was in 2014. 

It’s a freaking game-by-game prediction for the season and you want to call it preposterous cause he said they’d win two coin flips in a row? 25% chance is preposterous? Ok Iowa.

@g-manpuck Care to revisit this conversation?

? ? 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Goldy getting a hell of a workout today. 

353 pushups...

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1732

USC has this tradition for when they win and both UCLA & Notre Dame lose. They call it a Perfect Day. 

Minnesota had that equivalent yesterday (Wisco/Iowa) plus Nebraska lost. It was an ELITE Day! 

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

MNGO4S33, Rau4SkiUMah, gator and 1 people reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Gophers open (-27) vs. Colorado.  I was thinking more like (-22.5).

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

There’s not a game yet I would have taken the points. That holds for Colorado.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7688
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @jwg

I would have this last game, and on the same note, did not expect 60+.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 333

@orion 

Playing Iowa State Each year or every other year is a no brainer from a fan perspective. The rivalries bring out the best in college football and that could develop into a very nice one with little effort. 

I think part of the reason we don't is financial. Both the Gophers and even Iowa State have leverage to get smaller schools to Travel to them.  I think the gophers end up making more money by paying lesser schools to come here and getting more home games. This year all 3 are at home, although we went to Colorado last year as a 1 for 1 home away split with them. 

Can anyone confirm that getting extra Home games by playing lesser schools would be a big Net $ gain for the gophers? 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Well, we pay roughly $1.2-$1.5M to those schools to have them come play us, so have to do the gameday take less gameday expense plus school fee to figure that out.

Though, I also think it's a bit about W's. 

The B1G is a grind and there isn't a logical non-B1G Power 5 rival for the the Gophers like there is Iowa vs. Iowa State.  You could argue NDSU if we wanted to look at the FCS, but why pay NDSU over $1M to play us when we can schedule as challenging of a FBS school and not?

Iowa State is also not going to sign up to play us and Iowa every season.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

@orion 

Playing Iowa State Each year or every other year is a no brainer from a fan perspective. The rivalries bring out the best in college football and that could develop into a very nice one with little effort. 

I think part of the reason we don't is financial. Both the Gophers and even Iowa State have leverage to get smaller schools to Travel to them.  I think the gophers end up making more money by paying lesser schools to come here and getting more home games. This year all 3 are at home, although we went to Colorado last year as a 1 for 1 home away split with them. 

Can anyone confirm that getting extra Home games by playing lesser schools would be a big Net $ gain for the gophers? 

Back of the napkin calc.

40,000 seats x $90 = $3,600,000.  So they are conservatively making $3M on tickets alone.  Add in food/beverage/parking and $3.5M is safe estimate.

Cost for attracting Lil sisters of the Poor is about $1.25M.  After production costs at Huntington Bank Stadium, I bet they rake in about $1.5-2M profit.

For an away game, they'd have to spend quite a bit to charter flights and move equipment.  Seems like a no brainer. 

But at some point if you want to consider yourself a contender you have to play teams better than this year's non conference schedule and that means occasional road games.  Now if you can pull in a good team by agreeing to a 1 for 1 home/away split, then they could sell more tickets at a higher price for the bigger name.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

With PJ's manage the clock and ball control philosophy, I rarely feel comfortable giving the spread, especially in these early games when it's up over 20.  Both 36.5 and 39 felt ludicrous.  And, if you'd told me ahead against NMSU we'd hold the ball for 45 minutes, I'd especially of thought it as I'd have assumed we only got 2 possessions a quarter as we methodically ran the ball and the clock.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

It might be a financial net gain but my question is how much does the NC schedule play into putting this program a bit higher on the map nationally relative to even Iowa and Wisconsin?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @the-rube

With PJ's manage the clock and ball control philosophy, I rarely feel comfortable giving the spread, especially in these early games when it's up over 20.  Both 36.5 and 39 felt ludicrous.  And, if you'd told me ahead against NMSU we'd hold the ball for 45 minutes, I'd especially of thought it as I'd have assumed we only got 2 possessions a quarter as we methodically ran the ball and the clock.

He isn't the type of coach to put his boot on the throat of the opponent to get higher rankings either.

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

He isn't the type of coach to put his boot on the throat of the opponent to get higher rankings either.

Agree. He runs his game plan on both games. If he wanted he could of aired it out vs. New Mexico State and put more points on the board. It’s mind boggling to read the comments on Star Trib. and in fb groups or posts. What people expectations are for Gopher Football these past two games. Makes me think 90% of them just looked at the box score and didn’t watch an actual minute of the game.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

It might be a financial net gain but my question is how much does the NC schedule play into putting this program a bit higher on the map nationally relative to even Iowa and Wisconsin?

I doubt it makes much of a difference.  Iowa and Wisconsin have more name recognition because they have been winning more games at a higher level for decades.  Look at the Bowl games they both play in and look what we historically play in.  They play in NY6 bowls and bowls with big name recognition...we just havent been doing that.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

The Gophers have been "passed over" in the past in the BT bowl hierarchy. A more significant NC win or two might have prevented that. Also this NC schedule isn't going to prepare them for important games down the stretch. I'd rather see them lose to Oklahoma St (or whatever) in September and be better prepared for Iowa and Wisconsin in the end. I realize you may not agree.

Page 4 / 20