Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.1 K Views
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6659
Post on old board: 18942

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3824
Post on old board: 12555

I have a bad feeling the bit of momentum the Gophers were gaining since the Fleck hire is going to drift away like a fart in the wind now that other schools can get their players paid.  I love the U but they've never landed all that high on the donations list.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6810
Post on old board: 10120

How is this name image likeness related?
This is simply begging for money using NIL as a guise.

this whole thing is stupid.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Cowgirl wrote...

How is this name image likeness related?
This is simply begging for money using NIL as a guise.

this whole thing is stupid.

They aren't getting money thrown at them like players at Jackson State and Alabama so their creating revenue for themselves.  Wait until they realize the money isn't flowing in their direction and they hit the transfer portal for schools who figured out immediately they have to find donors to pay the players.

A cafe was able to somehow round up the money to pull the #1 recruit in the country from FSU to Jackson State by offering a nice NIL.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/jackson-state/2022/02/16/travis-hunter-football-jackson-state-signee-nil-deal-coffee-company/6818606001/

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 407
Post on old board: 9527

Top instate recruit Jaxon Howard picked LSU with MN in top 4. Thought we had a shot but sounds like NIL played a huge part.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

gopherguy06 wrote...

Top instate recruit Jaxon Howard picked LSU with MN in top 4. Thought we had a shot but sounds like NIL played a huge part.

Get used to it

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Do OL not get NIL offers?  Iowa kept a 4-star in-state OL.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

P.J. Fleck takes his turn hyping his team at 10:30 CT tomorrow morning as part of the <i>B1G Football Media Day:</i>

https://www.foxsports.com/live/btn

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2178

Wasn’t sure where else to put this but does anyone know if it’s possible to rent a tailgate spot for one game? Or are most spots sold for the season?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3250
Post on old board: 30840

Rau4SkiUMah wrote...

Wasn’t sure where else to put this but does anyone know if it’s possible to rent a tailgate spot for one game? Or are most spots sold for the season?

You can sometimes find people selling their tickets/tailgate spots on craigslist. Otherwise if you can get a spot in (IIRC) lot 37 you can just kinda set up your own. We've done that in the past.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Beauner wrote...
Rau4SkiUMah wrote…

You can sometimes find people selling their tickets/tailgate spots on craigslist. Otherwise if you can get a spot in (IIRC) lot 37 you can just kinda set up your own. We’ve done that in the past.

Thank you! I’ll look into that.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1760
Post on old board: 8686

Rau4SkiUMah wrote...

You may be able to do same day tailgating in lot S108 on the St. Paul campus.  They're a combo season pass / day of lot that allows tailgating.  Don't know if tailgating is restricted to the season pass holders, but that would seem hard to enforce.  They then have a shuttle back and forth from the stadium.  Lot is $10 per game.

As mentioned, you can also find people selling tailgate spots on the various 3rd party ticketing apps out there.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1184

Rau4SkiUMah wrote...

https://gophersports.com/news/2022/2/9/football-gopher-athletics-introduces-reimagined-game-day-experience.aspx

Not exactly the cheapest way to do it... but definitely easy.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I just need a spot for a grill and a cooler- before the sun comes up.

11am starts are the work of the devil….who lives on the East Coast.

OkComputer
(@okcomputer)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 34

Beauner wrote...
Rau4SkiUMah wrote…

You can sometimes find people selling their tickets/tailgate spots on craigslist. Otherwise if you can get a spot in (IIRC) lot 37 you can just kinda set up your own. We’ve done that in the past.

Lot 37 is not available for the U for individual games, but you can find spots on Craigslist or other sites like Beauner said. If it’s a “big” game (Iowa or homecoming this year) I wouldn’t be surprised if its >$100 just for that game. But lot 37 is by far the most fun lot. Get there early if you want a good spot!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mariucci Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 9865
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

Shooter devoted a big chunk of his column yesterday to Jerry Kill's ongoing personal battle against The U.  The further away MN gets from him and Claeys the better off they are.  While they certainly improved the program after Brewster was canned it could also be argued just about any coach would have improved on that disaster.

Here's the link, it's behind a paywall.

https://www.twincities.com/2022/08/13/charley-walters-jerry-kill-still-not-over-minnesota-departure/

One of Kill's quotes jumped out to me:

“My deal is this: We haven’t had a huge part in (Gophers success), but we have had a part changing that program around. And when (Fleck) came in, it was like we didn’t do anything. That’s a hard statement to take for somebody who’s poured his guts into it. People forget about that, and that hurt. And that’s coming from a guy who worked for me.”

There was certainly improvement in wins/losses and competitiveness but in hindsight, especially under Claeys, I remember the sexual assault scandal, little on field discipline, (including what seemed to be a high number of targeting and personal foul calls plus a lot of undisciplined dead ball calls, etc.), and my general perception of a program on the edge of bigger problems in the future.  I would argue Fleck had at least as big a challenge moving away from the Kill/Claeys era as the program did moving away from Brewster.

Move on Jerry.

(yes I see the irony as I post this B-) )

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

So Kill seems to want all the credit.  He should get some.   The team was turning around and he did have some nice recruiting classes.  Yet things seemed to go to hell VERY fast after he left.  How much was on Claeys and how much was on Kill?  Who knows.

Without going into the off the field issues.  The recruiting class of 2016 was excellent.  Claeys was interim HC in 2015 (last 4 games or so) and head coach in 2016.  I THNK the 2016 class was mostly a Kill recruited class.

The 2017 recruiting class was terrible until they cut Claeys and brought in PJ around January.  PJ was able to take a bunch of his recruits from Western to Minnesota and played a lot of underclassmen in the first year or two (Tanner Morgan to the rescue).  Kill had to drop out due to health reasons and Claeys was driving the program straight into the ground.  PJ saved it before we lost too much momentum.

Kill wanted Claeys to takeover for him and build the legacy.  However Claeys' coaching career quickly tumbled after losing Kill's system.  Failure as MN HC, two years at Washington State as DC, and then one year at VA Tech as a LB coach.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2075
Post on old board: 15139

The reality is that things definitely improved (would’ve been hard not to as others said) but I also would argue that there wasn’t a clear upward trajectory like there’s been under PJ. It’s also worth noting that things weren’t great even before Claeys took over. Once Kill started having seizures more regularly things kinda went to shit, I was at the 2015 game in NW (Kill had a seizure before the game) and we were cheering on the successful reception of punts because the game was that big of a disaster. The team never beat WI, didn’t beat any top 25 opponents from what I recall, and the program topped out with a New Year’s Day bowl loss and an 8-5 record.

Obviously he gave PJ more to work with than Brew gave him but there’s really no evidence to suggest the program would’ve done anything beyond what it did during those 8-5 seasons or that it would’ve improved significantly even if he stayed healthy. Too many of his teams seemed like the early years of Fleck where the team was fielding undersized MAC rosters without any NFL talent.

As for Claeys, the guy should’ve been gone after the Michigan debacle, completely embarrassing. The sexual assault investigation was the nail in the coffin. I’d also argue that Claeys wasn’t solely responsible for the culture or players involved in that, Kill talked a lot and said the right stuff about changing the culture but ultimately it was a mirage.

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1625

trixR4kids wrote...

The reality is that things definitely improved (would’ve been hard not to as others said) but I also would argue that there wasn’t a clear upward trajectory like there’s been under PJ. It’s also worth noting that things weren’t great even before Claeys took over. Once Kill started having seizures more regularly things kinda went to shit, I was at the 2015 game in NW (Kill had a seizure before the game) and we were cheering on the successful reception of punts because the game was that big of a disaster. The team never beat WI, didn’t beat any top 25 opponents from what I recall, and the program topped out with a New Year’s Day bowl loss and an 8-5 record.

Obviously he gave PJ more to work with than Brew gave him but there’s really no evidence to suggest the program would’ve done anything beyond what it did during those 8-5 seasons or that it would’ve improved significantly even if he stayed healthy. Too many of his teams seemed like the early years of Fleck where the team was fielding undersized MAC rosters without any NFL talent.

As for Claeys, the guy should’ve been gone after the Michigan debacle, completely embarrassing. The sexual assault investigation was the nail in the coffin. I’d also argue that Claeys wasn’t solely responsible for the culture or players involved in that, Kill talked a lot and said the right stuff about changing the culture but ultimately it was a mirage.

I think Kill/Claeys beat Nebraska twice when they were top 25…but that’s it and if I recall they were somewhere in the 20-25 range. I had some friends in college that were Husker fans…hilarious to watch those games with them. In a six year span that was it.  The Iowa/Michigan wins were against teams that were fairly mediocre. They never were very close to beating Wisconsin in that stretch.

The fact Claeys did not move on and become a head coach somewhere else says more than anything else could. If he would have been successful in his post U endeavours he would have found work as a HC again. I am also mildly surprised he didn’t follow Kill to New Mexico.

Kill needs to relax. He resigned and the U went a different direction. His issue with culture changes are bizarre because of the media firestorm (and rightly so) from the sexual assault issues connected to the team.  Fleck rightly wanted to install a course change for the program and to his credit he’s done a nice job in doing just that.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mariucci Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 9865
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

So kill thinks he deserves a statue when in actuality he is a footnote in Gopher football history.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

davescharf
(@davescharf)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1114
Post on old board: 11138

YoungEagle wrote...
trixR4kids wrote…

I think Kill/Claeys beat Nebraska twice when they were top 25…but that’s it and if I recall they were somewhere in the 20-25 range. I had some friends in college that were Husker fans…hilarious to watch those games with them. In a six year span that was it.  The Iowa/Michigan wins were against teams that were fairly mediocre. They never were very close to beating Wisconsin in that stretch.

The fact Claeys did not move on and become a head coach somewhere else says more than anything else could. If he would have been successful in his post U endeavours he would have found work as a HC again. I am also mildly surprised he didn’t follow Kill to New Mexico.

Kill needs to relax. He resigned and the U went a different direction. His issue with culture changes are bizarre because of the media firestorm (and rightly so) from the sexual assault issues connected to the team.  Fleck rightly wanted to install a course change for the program and to his credit he’s done a nice job in doing just that

YoungEagle wrote...
trixR4kids wrote…

Kill needs to relax. He resigned and the U went a different direction. His issue with culture changes are bizarre because of the media firestorm (and rightly so) from the sexual assault issues connected to the team.  Fleck rightly wanted to install a course change for the program and to his credit he’s done a nice job in doing just that.

One of the years they beat Nebraska they drove the length of the field in Lincoln late in the 4th quarter needing a Touchdown to win.  Before that day I could remember maybe 2 or 3 times since 1980, including some of those great Oklahoma and Colorado teams, that any team could claim they'd done that.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

trixR4kids wrote...

As for Claeys, the guy should’ve been gone after the Michigan debacle, completely embarrassing.

That Halloween game against Michigan still haunts me. No pun intended. I was in the upper deck of the student section when we thought we had scored a touchdown and the place went nuts. Only to have it get called back to the one yard line. Claeys then proceeds to waste 17 of the remaining 19 seconds on a trick play that goes to absolutely no one and the goes for a quarterback sneak that I don’t think even made it to the line of scrimmage. A reminder that a field goal would have tied the game and given us a chance in OT. The cherry on top was that for some reason the U had a firework show scheduled for after the game and whoever was in charge decided to go through with it even after everything that had happened. So as 50,000 plus miserable Gopher fans are quietly and angrily filing out of the stadium into low 40s and misting rain there are fireworks going off right after we just blew it. I mean that’s worst top 10 moments in gopher sports history level bad.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4379
Post on old board: 28736

dave,

No offense, but that drive, while awesome, was not exactly against The Black Shirts. The Nebraska team we beat was an overrated mess and they didn't take the Gophers seriously.

I was posting on GPL from the Michigan Game...I flat out said Claeys should be canned after that.  They knew it was getting called back yet they didn't set anything up, didn't really talk anything over and then, well we all know what happened.  IIRC TC threw Limegrover under the bus for that one and subsequently he didn't return. (notice Jerry isnt mad about that)

As for Kill, I loved when he was coach but in truth he needs to just STFU and go away.  He wasn't Murray Warmath no matter how much he pretends he was.  Outside of the Empire Class his recruiting was average at best (the running joke was we only recruited players that had Western Michigan offers...hmmm...who was their coach?) and he was all about hype but it never went anywhere.  Remember when he kept telling us how all his redshirted WRs were amazing at one bowl game and then not one of them ever saw meaningful minutes their entire career?  the guy was all hat and little cattle.  Plus, the discipline issues that popped up later had as much to do with how he treated the team as it did with the players themselves.  The guy whines about loyalty and he has had how many jobs since he "retired"?  He finds any reason to crap on the school and PJ even talking about his divorce. (and from the sounds of it 'Ol Jer himself is divorced now)  He is a whiny, bitter dude and whatever legacy he had he dunked in gasoline and set on fire.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

I was gonna say something similar, Nebraska definitely fell off as a program though that team at least was the end of the Pelini years. That wasn’t a bad team by any means (kinda hilarious that Pelini was canned and they’ve been mediocre ever since) but obviously that team was nowhere close to the glory years.

Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 233
Post on old board: 8761

Kill should still be thanking Brewster. It was only because Brew set the bar so low that Kill was perceived as successful by a large portion of the fan base. Somebody needs to get to Kill and let him know what a whiny little bitch he sounds like.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

What's funny is I always liked Kill as a coach and never wanted PJ to be our coach when we were looking after TC was kicked to the curb.  Now I can't stand to even see Kill's name in a post or article.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

HandyNotDan wrote...

What’s funny is I always liked Kill as a coach and never wanted PJ to be our coach when we were looking after TC was kicked to the curb.  Now I can’t stand to even see Kill’s name in a post or article.

I remember the Can Souhan Avatar.

Lars Sauve
(@lars-sauve)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 47

The most valuable lesson I learned from my grandfather was to move on before they realize you’re a serial killer.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 11966
Post on old board: 9626

The new food at the Bank this year. If only they would add some of this stuff to Mariucci...

https://twitter.com/TheDailyGopher/status/1560734644236177416

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 11966
Post on old board: 9626

Not a school color..

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1561852321138704384

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Please stop with the Goldy head on the helmet.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Nah goldy head is cool and good.

WPoSforever reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3250
Post on old board: 30840

I love the Goldy head on the helmet tbh.

WPoSforever reacted

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

I always loved the goldy helmet with the gold chrome lids.  I’m just meh on the black uniform and white helmet more than anything else.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Beauner wrote...

I love the Goldy head on the helmet tbh.

You’re a weirdo

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Goldy helmet is fine but the black is unnecessary.

Also why the h**l do I have to spend $110 per ticket vs NMSU and I'm not even lower level?

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 323

Slap Shot wrote...

Also why the h**l do I have to spend $110 per ticket vs NMSU and I’m not even lower level?

You can get into every Home game for the entire season for $200 with the gopher pass. I did it last year, worked very well.

https://gophersports.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB-PASS&linkID=uminn-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

With regards to the goldy helmet I am not a fan, but for one game I can let it pass.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote...

Also why the h**l do I have to spend $110 per ticket vs NMSU and I’m not even lower level?

Ummmm...you don't?  I am on Gophersports right now and you can get any number of tickets for $50 or less.

edit: I literally just looked and you can get 4 tickets in row 12 upper deck for $50 with seat backs not bench.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

HandyNotDan wrote...
Slap Shot wrote…

Ummmm…you don’t?  I am on Gophersports right now and you can get any number of tickets for $50 or less.

edit: I literally just looked and you can get 4 tickets in row 12 upper deck for $50 with seat backs not bench.

I didn't say there were NO tickets for less - I am well aware they exist.  If there were a wink smiley I would have used one I guess.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote...
HandyNotDan wrote…
Slap Shot wrote…

Ummmm…you don’t?  I am on Gophersports right now and you can get any number of tickets for $50 or less.

I didn’t say there were NO tickets for less – I am well aware they exist.  If there were a wink smiley I would have used one I guess.

You mean this one?

😉

teehee :yahoo:

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1760
Post on old board: 8686

Since we're talking helmets...

The last MN B1G championship was 1967.

The block M debuted on the helmet in 1968.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

If a Goldy head breaks that streak, I'd let the Block M go.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden

Slap Shot wrote...

time to give the people what they want

but actually, probably not

my official 2022 #Gophers football game-by-game season prediction + preview

i'm sure no one on twitter will get charged up one way or another

…right? https://t.co/AJuruAg3RP — Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsMN) August 24, 2022

That would be a fun ride!! Minus losing to Nebraska….

I really want the Pig and the Axe at the same time. Would be fantastic.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2050
Post on old board: 6782

Half of Paul Allen's KFAN show at the State Fair on Thursday should be up for the PST Tournament next year.  Fargo Flash and Ryan Burns set the bar pretty high for this Gopher Football team.  While Minnesota has the easier schedule for crossover games, I would be awfully cautious to pick a sweep of Wisconsin and Iowa by the Gophers. 

I will agree that the West will be won by one of these three teams but I think it's a coin toss to who will win when they face each other. 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I swear to god we are the only fanbase that gets upset because people have high hopes...such fragile fans in all our sports.

(and dont give me the Minnesota Luck BS that is a copout and plenty of places have bad luck and less fragile fans)

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I swear to god we are the only fanbase that gets upset because people have high hopes...such fragile fans in all our sports.

(and dont give me the Minnesota Luck BS that is a copout and plenty of places have bad luck and less fragile fans)

It is OK to be skeptical when A) we have an unproven OL and WR group and B) he was predicting something that has not happened in our lifetime.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

So what...its a guy making a prediction not the coach guaranteeing it or something. If I predict they go 13-0 and they don't it doesn't mean anything just some guy with some opinion.  Like the Nebraska fan/pundit who picked them to go undefeated leading up to the Michigan game at the end of the year.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

So what...its a guy making a prediction not the coach guaranteeing it or something. If I predict they go 13-0 and they don't it doesn't mean anything just some guy with some opinion.  Like the Nebraska fan/pundit who picked them to go undefeated leading up to the Michigan game at the end of the year.

Yeah.  And it was just G Manpuck saying he’d be cautious of predicting a sweep of Wisconsin and Iowa and you had a cow.

You’re so cranky lately and have to put everyone in their place.  

Page 2 / 20