Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.9 K Views
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3977
Post on old board: 9428

Pretty cool to hear the rouser loud and clear after the pick 6

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3339
Post on old board: 30840

Lindenberg takes a cut block from Cuse RB and his ankle sticks in the turf. He limps off the field with help from the trainers.

ESPN broadcast just showed Athan in a walking boot on the sidelines.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1208

WR screen to Jackson for 6.

28-13 Gophers

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @mnnavy

WR screen to Jackson for 6.

28-13 Gophers

That play was very well blocked, then some poor tackling by SYR to let him walk in 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Darius Green and Coleman Bryson, both freshmen getting their first career start, have had some really nice plays today. They've certainly had some misplays but for two guys with minimal playing time, it's nice to see them on the field making plays.

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

Woof, that game was hard to watch.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2610
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @don-adams-wheel-of-justice

Any win in the last game of the year is a good win, but neither of these teams looked like New Years bowl teams. Gophers won without their starter qb, center and Ibriham for most of the game.

The field was absolutely horse bleep, if not dangerous.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Nice to see Mo and Tanner on the field for Victory Formation. 

I know Tanner had his drawbacks but he gave his heart and soul for the program and leaves the team the winningest QB in history and at/near the leaderboard in a lot of other stats.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him as a coach either on our sidelines or somebody else's sidelines sooner than later if that's the route he wants to take.

Greyeagle and coondog reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 28736

I think I twisted my ankle watching that game...you know it is bad when even the ESPN crew are downgrading the field. (and they are not supposed to)  Apparently the radio crew was very unkind...

I followed the game thread on Gopherhole while watching the game...good god their whining and teeth gnashing make the mood swings in our threads look like child's play.  Terrible takes, hating on PJ and players, quitting on the team after every 3 and out or giving up a first down...its a sight to see.  And this was a worthless second tier bowl game...it is nuclear fallout during the season EVEN WHEN THEY WIN! (Wisconsin game threads can be hilarious...and the non-con games are a sight to see!)

Actually even better was there is a thread about who should start the game.  Obviously most wanted AK but if you dared say anything nice about TM it lead to epic rants.  Of course all of this was based on the idea that no one had said AK was the starter.  Multiple posters even said if TM starts and they were AK they would leave the team...cause you know, guys with 1.5 good games who quit on their team before the bowl game are hot commodities.  Then he started (as everyone guessed) and as soon as he got hurt those same people were crying like 4 year olds.  Then, even though they spent most of the year saying it is Morgan's fault the offense is boring get mad because on a crappy field after the starter went down in a game we are winning we decide not to take a bunch of stupid chances.  Apparently Morgan and (to use their logic) his crappy arm should have been slinging the ball all over the field...it isn't like players are slipping and falling all over the place and getting hurt.  Nah lets take unneeded chances what is the worst that can happen.

I swear this town is filled with people who be miserable if they had a 4 way with 3 supermodels.

coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 163

I can't imagine anyone is too interested in playing in Yankee Stadium too soon. Irony that the sponsor was a mower company in the Bronx and that the turf sucked so badly.  It was a good call to pull Ibrahim. Seeing Athan in a boot was much better than a knee immobilizer, unless he tore his achilles. I was concerned about ACL when he came off.

coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I think I twisted my ankle watching that game...you know it is bad when even the ESPN crew are downgrading the field. (and they are not supposed to)  Apparently the radio crew was very unkind...

I followed the game thread on Gopherhole while watching the game...good god their whining and teeth gnashing make the mood swings in our threads look like child's play.  Terrible takes, hating on PJ and players, quitting on the team after every 3 and out or giving up a first down...its a sight to see.  And this was a worthless second tier bowl game...it is nuclear fallout during the season EVEN WHEN THEY WIN! (Wisconsin game threads can be hilarious...and the non-con games are a sight to see!)

Actually even better was there is a thread about who should start the game.  Obviously most wanted AK but if you dared say anything nice about TM it lead to epic rants.  Of course all of this was based on the idea that no one had said AK was the starter.  Multiple posters even said if TM starts and they were AK they would leave the team...cause you know, guys with 1.5 good games who quit on their team before the bowl game are hot commodities.  Then he started (as everyone guessed) and as soon as he got hurt those same people were crying like 4 year olds.  Then, even though they spent most of the year saying it is Morgan's fault the offense is boring get mad because on a crappy field after the starter went down in a game we are winning we decide not to take a bunch of stupid chances.  Apparently Morgan and (to use their logic) his crappy arm should have been slinging the ball all over the field...it isn't like players are slipping and falling all over the place and getting hurt.  Nah lets take unneeded chances what is the worst that can happen.

I swear this town is filled with people who be miserable if they had a 4 way with 3 supermodels.

I thought the TV announcers were spot on about PJ — he has substance.  I like the fact he cares about his players and goes out to check on them when they are injured. He seems to have delegated well. We forget he played (albeit shortly) in the NFL and probably understands issues better than the Gopherholians.

Even though his teams haven't pulled it off yet, most years it isn't unreasonable to think they could sweep Iowa, WI, and Nebraska and give Michigan a good game.  The last few years it has been disappointing they didn't win the division or go to a bigger bowl. When in our lifetimes whas that a mindset?  They have not made the next big step yet, but the fans can at least see its possible.  

Don't hear off the field stuff either.    I also thought it was cool he bought gifts for employees kids — yes yes he can afford it, but contrast that to the MSU coach who signed a 10 yr $95 M contract and then was given a 100K bonus to split everyone (including office staff) and kept it.  

HandyNotDan reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

Posted by: @don-adams-wheel-of-justice

Any win in the last game of the year is a good win, but neither of these teams looked like New Years bowl teams. Gophers won without their starter qb, center and Ibriham for most of the game.

The field was absolutely horse bleep, if not dangerous.

Pretty sure both starting safeties were out as well.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Nubin was out for sure...

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Just saw that the Gophers D is ranked 5th in the country by yards given up per game. Helps that they have played on average about 100 less total plays that most of the other teams due to the prolific running game. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I guess at his PC Fleck said the injuries to CL ad AK were "2 week injuries" or something similar.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @coondog

I thought the TV announcers were spot on about PJ — he has substance.  I like the fact he cares about his players and goes out to check on them when they are injured. He seems to have delegated well. We forget he played (albeit shortly) in the NFL and probably understands issues better than the Gopherholians.

Even though his teams haven't pulled it off yet, most years it isn't unreasonable to think they could sweep Iowa, WI, and Nebraska and give Michigan a good game.  The last few years it has been disappointing they didn't win the division or go to a bigger bowl. When in our lifetimes whas that a mindset?  They have not made the next big step yet, but the fans can at least see its possible.  

Don't hear off the field stuff either.    I also thought it was cool he bought gifts for employees kids — yes yes he can afford it, but contrast that to the MSU coach who signed a 10 yr $95 M contract and then was given a 100K bonus to split everyone (including office staff) and kept it.  

The main issue I see moving forward is that divisions will likely be gone and we couldn’t even win the weak west under PJ thus far. Which could eventually affect recruiting. I think he’s done a decent job and stuff like CAB not playing a snap this year or Mo getting hurt before Purdue aren’t things he can really control. But ideally this team would’ve reached the B1G championship game by now under the current division alignment.

Point being I think things get harder moving forward not easier, though I also think PJ is as up to the challenge as anyone.

coondog reacted
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5547

Gopher broadcasting this game was located at home plate Yankees booth broadcasting from the end zone 

Aloha!

coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden

@trixr4kids Id think with more teams, the divisions would be more important and that the BIG10 championship game is a money maker. To be honest, haven't thought how the realignment of college football championship series impacts this. Even if this divisions are kept the West has gotten much tougher.

Your point is also well taken that he is about as able as anybody.  Even with an unlimited pocket book, there are maybe 3-5 coaches that would be "game changers" (Riley, Smart)

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

My guess is they still have a B1G championship just without the divisions. So top 2 just play in it. I also don’t think the west has gotten tougher because NE and WI are both down recently, IL is really the only one that got better (they at least gave Michigan a run for their money in the big house). Also the gophers haven’t had to play Michigan in years and had OSU at home once (mostly haven’t had to play them). This year the schedule was really favorable too.

That said we’ll see what happens, given that OSU and Michigan always play each other and scheduling always will have a big impact there’s always gonna be variables to consider. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Divisions are going to be killed and yes the setup will likely be "Top 2 make it" which is friggin stupid.  It will likely make "The Game" (I hate that name) less important most years.  I have said since this was first floated it is a moronic plan especially since the stupid faux tourny is expanding anyways.  This screws over every program that isn't Penn State/Michigan/tOSU most years and makes it highly unlikely there is any real surprise teams that make a run for the title game.

Now...it might be a weird consolation prize but you will have the rest of the teams that are on our level fighting for what was once the most coveted prize anyways...The Rose Bowl. (or whatever becomes the top non Tourny Big Ten Bowl Game)  Most of us will not have a realistic shot at the Tourny if the Big Ten is in a normal year so instead of worrying about all of that (or the Big Ten Title Game) so it is all about just trying to beat your real peers and get the best bowl possible.  Might be more fun for fans of teams like ours...

In other news former Gopher Ky Thomas who transferred from here to Kansas to be "closer to family" is transferring again.  He should have never left here.

fightclub30
(@fightclub30)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 990

I still think the GameDay OPS staff is missing a huge opportunity to have this be the end of 3rd quarter bit.  Okay, I know I am probably one of maybe 2 people on this board who listens to the music regularly, but I think this would be awesome!! (and probably me alone thinks that, haha)

Amon Amarth - Put your back into the Oar (Starting at 3:45 to 4:54):

Lyrics:

RowRowRowRowRowRowRowRow
RowRowRow (the oar is your best friend)RowRowRowRow (for a triumphant end)Row
RowRowRow (row for victory)RowRowRowRow (into history)
Grab your oarsRow to glory warsAnd for victoryInto history

You could cut the battle clips, and add gopher football highlights.

We've all seen Mosh Pits, I bet not many people have seen a Rowing Pit.
Let's get a rowing pit in the student section.

(Also, Amon Amarth is fantastic to see live, if you're into that kind of thing.)

Steve MN and Greyeagle reacted

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4619
Post on old board: 10695

I like it.  I'm imagining almost the entire end of TCF Bank doing the Rowing Pit.

Looks like the main video is only 10 months old, so not likely something that would have been on the radar in time to line up for this past season.  Love the idea for the future, though.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10550
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

That is perfect, hope The U listens.

No chance I'd ever go see them live. ? 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

Holy sausage party!  Not a girl within 10 miles of that place.  LOL

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7006
Post on old board: 18942

Not touching that.

Greyeagle reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Karlsson reacted
Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Can Rutgers just offer a ton of money or what? Didn't this guy already try seeing if the grass was greener elsewhere?

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Can Rutgers just offer a ton of money or what? Didn't this guy already try seeing if the grass was greener elsewhere?

yes and yes

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

So do they give the job to Matt Simon or is there someone out there we should be poaching? Kliff Kingsbury should be in need of a job shortly.

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 431
Post on old board: 9527

Third coach to leave in two days and add Kenni Burns. Three of the four to roles within the conference at Purdue and Wisconsin. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

Whatever Kirk. We get it, you don’t want to be in MN.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

What a weird move.  The other coaches I get (position coaches leave all the time) but this one?  I know he has fault on the east coast but why go to Rutgers?  Even if they promise you the fear coaching job later on its friggin Rutgers.

And I don't get everyone's love for Matt Simon...it isn't like our WRs have been great under his watch the last 3 years.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 834
Post on old board: 5335

What a weird move.  The other coaches I get (position coaches leave all the time) but this one?  I know he has fault on the east coast but why go to Rutgers?  Even if they promise you the fear coaching job later on its friggin Rutgers.

And I don't get everyone's love for Matt Simon...it isn't like our WRs have been great under his watch the last 3 years.

His daughter plays soccer for Rutgers and his son plays lacrosse for Monmouth just down the road.  If he got a stupid raise which is reportedly what happened, and was already an OC for Schiano for three years the first time he coached at Rutgers, I can understand the move.  

But yeah I would love to have been a fly in that room between him and PJ talking this over and how it all went down.  

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Schinao will end up canning him again and he will end up looking for a job at a small school.  

Should have never signed his extension. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10550
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

I have a hard time getting worked up about coaches coming in from or leaving for Rutgers.

Until RU joined the B1G (which is still the most baffling conference move ever) I didn't realize they even had a football team.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

I have a hard time getting worked up about coaches coming in from or leaving for Rutgers.

Until RU joined the B1G (which is still the most baffling conference move ever) I didn't realize they even had a football team.

They were awful for the longest time and then Schiano had some good years with them back when they were in the ACC.  That's what led to Schiano getting his NFL job.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Rutgers was 100% NY/NJ TV viewership for B1G networks and nothing more.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2001

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @greyeagle

They were awful for the longest time and then Schiano had some good years with them back when they were in the ACC.  That's what led to Schiano getting his NFL job.

They were good when they had Ray Rice.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12569
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1612521812700835840

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

That has disaster written all over it.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

Yeah I’m sure that won’t back fire at all. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Why would it backfire?  It isn't like we havent been running Co-OCs for a while. (Simon has been Co-OC since I think the Auburn Game)  My guess is Simon will set up the schemes call the plays Harbaugh is basically the equivalent of "Associate Head Coach" in that it is a title with a raise and he is the QB coach with some play design help.  Same setup as before just without Sanford or KC in the lead roll.

As long as the jobs are defined this is much ado about nothing.  If they aren't then one of them will be gone next year. (Harbaugh)

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Meh why do I care what Pro Football Focus thinks?

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

Nobody does and you shouldn’t. I posted it in jest. 

HandyNotDan reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @snowcool08

Nobody does and you shouldn’t. I posted it in jest. 

The sad thing is plenty do...

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I assume that's based on like individual player rankings at each position? I know JMS and BSF frequently were in their top 3 per position each week. I assume Mo Ibrahim and Tyler Nubin also were. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12569
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/TheDailyGopher/status/1613635773336588301

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Everyone is now a co-coordinator.  The coordinator title isn't going to be worth anything.

I can see our next head coach will have previous experience as Co-Offensive Coordinator of Third and Long Running Situations.

Page 18 / 20