Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.5 K Views
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4573
Post on old board: 28736

Again the "Co" deal has been around a while.  It is like Assistant Head Coaches its not that big of a deal.

BTW this guy has local ties which we know everyone loves.  Dad coached under Wacker, he hails from Mahtomedi and he went to SCCC.  Sounds like the Cuse fans are upset he left they like him a lot.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3913
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @handyman

Again the "Co" deal has been around a while.  It is like Assistant Head Coaches its not that big of a deal.

BTW this guy has local ties which we know everyone loves.  Dad coached under Wacker, he hails from Mahtomedi and he went to SCCC.  Sounds like the Cuse fans are upset he left they like him a lot.

Yeah, I don't care.  How depressing is it when we're sold on having the offensive coordinator of Team X, only to find out they never called plays while being the OC?  It's a fake title IMO.

As a defensive coach, his dad coaching under Wacker might be a detriment....LOL.  But I get he has ties.  He might be great.  I don't know a thing about him.  I always hope for the best.  But these titles are just so odd.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6945
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @bertogliat

Yeah, I don't care.  How depressing is it when we're sold on having the offensive coordinator of Team X, only to find out they never called plays while being the OC?  It's a fake title IMO.

When they hire a coach for a specific role they know what his previous experience was or was not. The previous title is irrelevant.  Coaches take promotions with other programs all the time including stepping into a role where they'll be the primary play caller or whatever.  Whether or not we're sold on the idea doesn't matter.  Never mind "we" shouldn't be automatically skeptical unless they have  a history making more bad coaching hire decisions than good.

HandyNotDan reacted
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

I can’t pretend I’m well versed with Walker era gophers but from what I understand the offense wasn’t the issue those years.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @trixr4kids

I can’t pretend I’m well versed with Walker era gophers but from what I understand the offense wasn’t the issue those years.

offense was not the issue 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah and by the time he recruited some defensive talent there was no way he was ever going to coach them.  Wacker games were fun to watch...basically current Big 12 style football in the Big Ten.

I believe this guy's dad was a grad assistant so you can't blame him too much 😉  Personally I don't care about local ties but that is what moves the needle with a lot of the locals.  

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3320
Post on old board: 30840

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10475
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

Yeah and by the time he recruited some defensive talent there was no way he was ever going to coach them.  Wacker games were fun to watch...basically current Big 12 style football in the Big Ten.

I believe this guy's dad was a grad assistant so you can't blame him too much 😉  Personally I don't care about local ties but that is what moves the needle with a lot of the locals.  

If I remember correctly the 1993 football game against Purdue (MN 59-PU 56) was higher scoring than either of the men's basketball games the same season.  Or....something like.

Never mind, the BB stat is incorrect.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

If only Rosanne Rosanadanna had been around for Schweaty Balls.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 430
Post on old board: 9527

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Wow...

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/TonyLiebert/status/1631414509217939456?s=20

Edit: Peach State Class A Division 1 Offensive Player of the Year. Led Prince Avenue Christian to a perfect 14-0 record and a title. Completed 274 of 397 pass attempts (69 percent) for 4,598 yards with 54 TD to go against 8 INT. Also carried the ball 68 times for 361 yards (5.3 average) and 8 more scores.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Top offer from Liberty?  ? 

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

A commit from a junior doesn't really mean much at this point.  He'll likely get better scholarship offers if he has a good senior season so I wouldn't put much stock in a verbal now.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1158

Liberty finished 17th in the AP Poll in 2020.  https://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?seasonid=2020

They're not world-beaters, but decent.  His best offer (other than us) was Georgia Tech.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @idontknow

Liberty finished 17th in the AP Poll in 2020.  https://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?seasonid=2020

They're not world-beaters, but decent.  His best offer (other than us) was Georgia Tech.

That was the COVID year where nobody played outside their conference.  And I don’t think they even play in a conference. Do they?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

That was the COVID year where nobody played outside their conference.  And I don’t think they even play in a conference. Do they?

They went 10-1 and beat #12 Coastal Carolina in the bowl game. They had Malik Willis which vaulted them to national prominence temporarily.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

conference usa

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

This is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1632811782237462528?s=20

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10475
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

Wicked awesome! 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I have no idea about depth, but would MBS expect more touches this year?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

I take this as good news for our new transfers we brought in. I don't think either one believes they will see playing time next year. Just my assumptions though.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

I have no idea about depth, but would MBS expect more touches this year?

Given what we saw from Brockington at the end of last season (particularly the Wisconsin game) and the addition of Crooms coming in via transfer portal as a primarily slot receiver (the same position MBS played), with Elijah Spencer as another WR from the portal, along with CAB, Wright, Jackson, and Hoskins returning and some pretty highly touted freshmen coming to campus, I would be pretty surprised if MBS was going to get a lot of run without a lot of injuries. 

I think the offense will be more pass-happy with Kaliakmanis playing QB but I'm not sure that MBS would have been on the field for many of them.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/1638213960158662658?s=20

Interesting. He certainly could have been a big weapon for the team this fall. 

Article says:

Last week, Dylan Wright's name was removed from the Gophers online roster. After talking with multiple sources, my intel says that Dylan didn't return to Minnesota after spring break, which the team was back on campus on March 12th. PJ Fleck was asked about Wright today and confirmed that Wright isn't with the team currently.

Over the past two seasons, Dylan caught 35 passes for 645 yards and three touchdowns, but that's a gaudy 18.4 yards per reception. The thing to watch now with Wright is that his name can't be entered into the transfer portal until May 1 because he's already transferred once before. And with that, that means if he's going to be eligible for an FBS team this fall, that means he'll have to graduate by August. If not, he'd have to sit out a year at the FBS level, but he could mitigate that by potentially dropping down to the FCS level, where he'd be eligible immediately.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Wright had a lot of talent, but he never had his head in the game.  His attitude sucked especially when Morgan was the QB.  He has personal stuff he has been dealing with and I just don't think he ever took the time needed to really get emotionally where he needed to be and so couple that with an already bad attitude and you have a perfect storm.  For all the talent he had he had 17 catches and 1 TD last year...I almost had that!

MBS was never coming back.  That has been known for a while...certainly since the bowl game.  I think he knew his playing time was going to go down and rumor was the year was tough on him what with having some high profile drops that cost the team dearly.  I wish him nothing but the best.

Potts too.  He doesn't look right, I am not sure if it was the injury or if he was just a mirage playing behind one of the best lines in Gopher history when Mo got hurt a couple years back but last year he did not look like a Big Ten back.  He seems like he could thrive at a G5 school.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Wright had a lot of talent, but he never had his head in the game.  His attitude sucked especially when Morgan was the QB.  He has personal stuff he has been dealing with and I just don't think he ever took the time needed to really get emotionally where he needed to be and so couple that with an already bad attitude and you have a perfect storm.  For all the talent he had he had 17 catches and 1 TD last year...I almost had that!

MBS was never coming back.  That has been known for a while...certainly since the bowl game.  I think he knew his playing time was going to go down and rumor was the year was tough on him what with having some high profile drops that cost the team dearly.  I wish him nothing but the best.

Potts too.  He doesn't look right, I am not sure if it was the injury or if he was just a mirage playing behind one of the best lines in Gopher history when Mo got hurt a couple years back but last year he did not look like a Big Ten back.  He seems like he could thrive at a G5 school.

Agreed. Wright is super talented but definitely had some attitude issues (the scene where he was waving off/ignoring the coaching staff last season stands out a lot). I can't blame him for not putting up a ton of catches or TDs given the overall passing "attack" last season though 😉

Potts definitely didn't look the same as he did 2 years ago when he was running behind that incredible OL. He is a decent back but I don't think he's got the speed or physicality to be a full time Big Ten RB. Mo wasn't super fast either, but he was so strong he was able to break tackles at an incredible rate. With the freshmen they have on the roster and the transfer they brought in, Potts would have had a hard time getting a lot of carries IMO.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

While the passing stats were um...lacking for the team it isn't like he was smoking everyone.  He was 4th on the team in receiving and CAB has similar stats and he played in 3 games.  MBS had more yards and receptions (which is saying something) and both BSF and Jackson beat him in every category.

I wish no ill will on the guy, and I hope he figures it out and finds a place he fits.  Next year I won't even remember him though he made almost zero impact.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

That one stings.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

That one sucks. Really weird timing for him to leave too. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Spring ball must be showing where people are landing on depth charts and the like, otherwise the timing makes no sense.  This all feels bad, but I guess it's the new NCAA.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Unless he got lazy I can't see it being a depth chart thing.  Something smells fishy...

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 430
Post on old board: 9527

I am guessing it was NIL deal

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I read elsewhere that the portal is "officially" closed until May?  He had been participating in team practices and promoting the Dinkytown Collective NIL fund recently so this is weird.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

The portal being closed is semantics.  He technically can't transfer yet he just made his intentions known.  Let me guess...reading Gopherhole and a certain poster who half the board has blocked and has already been banned once? 😉 (Gophers4_life)

I can't imagine someone offered him a ton of cash.  He has almost no stats to speak of and has been on the team for 4 years.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I don't go to Gopherhole and I know it's semantics - that doesn't change the fact it's an odd situation. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

That is why I said it's fishy.  The guy has like 3 career sacks so I highly doubt anyone poached him.  I don't want to cast dispersions but I wonder if it wasn't his choice completely...

We won't really know until we see where he ends up. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

That is why I said it's fishy.  The guy has like 3 career sacks so I highly doubt anyone poached him.  I don't want to cast dispersions but I wonder if it wasn't his choice completely...

We won't really know until we see where he ends up. 

Wasn't he all-conference honorable mention this season? The sack numbers were not impressive but I seem to recall he was pretty good in the middle of the line.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I dunno but honorable mentions don't tend to make big bucks...especially if they are entering their I believe fifth year. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

The rumor on Ghole (from a guy who has a few connections) is that he might end up back closer to home somewhere like Georgia Tech.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12502
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1640061122588942336

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1643780768106438659?s=20

Interesting move.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12502
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1645604202054406144

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

He went from "all in and ready to row the boat" to decommitted in about 40 days.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @beauner

He went from "all in and ready to row the boat" to decommitted in about 40 days.

Apparently he visited up here a week ago and realized just how far away it was from home and didn;t like that.

Guess we aren't teaching high schoolers how to read maps now a days...

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @gopherguy05

Posted by: @beauner

Apparently he visited up here a week ago and realized just how far away it was from home and didn;t like that.

Guess we aren't teaching high schoolers how to read maps now a days...

Was at least his 3rd visit too.  

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Let me throw out the obligatory "NIL" reason... 😉

Page 19 / 20