A few thoughts on last night.
- I thought B.C. looked solid early, but after three quick Gopher goals played most of the rest of the game on their heels.
- Freshman Ava Thomas was B.C.’s best player. I thought she had a good chance to wind up here.
- The Gopher “D” has more excellent puck handlers than they’ve had since maybe the undefeated team era. Molly Jordan is a great pick up.
- Bella Fanale will be a fan favorite.
- Sarah Paul is slight of build, but has some skills and should add some offense.
- Sienna D’Alessandro’s skating is not elite, but she plays tough in high traffic areas and should chip in some offense.
- I thought Tereza Plosova had a solid debut. Tall, lanky girl who skates better than I was anticipating and has some skill.
- I think Avery Hovland might get more ice time than I was expecting. Great skater, non-stop motor.
- Team’s depth will be tested as the various Olympic teams come calling. Abby Murphy, Nelli Laitinen, Josefin Bouveng and Tereza Plosova are probably locks for their countries and Chloe Primerano is probably about a 50/50 bet and will for sure miss some pre-Olympic training stuff. Don’t think Hungary qualified so Emma Kreisz should be around.
@iceburg Agree with your statement that BC did have some shots early on in the game last night. But after the first few possessions, I never had the feeling MN was not in control. They definitely had the early jump, and I was very impressed with their passing and skating overall. There always seemed to be someone in front of the net salivating for the perfectly timed pass. Loved their energy and pace. I know it's only been one night so far, but it's been a few years since I've seen a Minnesota team completely dominate in the way they seemed to own the puck.
My wife is a huge Badger women's hockey fan so it's been a rough past few years for me, but I think from what I observed last night...this gopher top line can dance with the with Badger top line. They looked fearless which is exactly how the Badger women's team plays.
One game down and in the W column. Let's keep it up and make this a special year!
Things close to the same for game two. A little shuffling in lines two and three, and looks like Hemp will get the start in net.
https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1971681181394698677
Eleven! Eleven goals! Ah ah ah.
Gopher women's team looked very good as the game went on. Their depth and skill was very apparent. Keep it up! Go Gophers!
Chloe Primerano available in Boston this weekend?
https://thehockeynews.com/womens/international/team-canada-camp-underway-in-toronto-news-and-notes
Chloe Primerano available in Boston this weekend?
https://thehockeynews.com/womens/international/team-canada-camp-underway-in-toronto-news-and-notes
It's a two-week camp so… probably not.
Thinking we won't have Murphy either--at least not Friday. Since Wisconsin moved their series to Saturday morning/ Sunday vs UMD in an attempt to get their players back from USA camp.
Thinking we won't have Murphy either--at least not Friday. Since Wisconsin moved their series to Saturday morning/ Sunday vs UMD in an attempt to get their players back from USA camp.
Never mind. I can't read a schedule. It's next weekend that Murphy may miss not this weekend.
@gopherguy05 Whew...hoping to see them in action for Saturday's game at least. Hoping as well for another blow out weekend...though that could be tougher to do against BU (who is better than BC at this stage). Still will be a good game I think to see and compare how they fare on the road this time around. Go Gophers!
Game times this weekend
Today 5:00
Saturday 3:00
Both games on….

Murphy dives and the Eastern refs pay it off for her...lol
it's gonna be a long season, I don't know how much more of her I can watch
Gophers up 2-0 after two. Murphy and Laitinen with the goals.
Gophers win 5-0. Sweet! Now for the sweep tomorrow.
Gophers win 5-0. Sweet! Now for the sweep tomorrow.
Fanale, Kaiser and Murphy with the three third period goals.
Murphy dives and the Eastern refs pay it off for her...lol
it's gonna be a long season, I don't know how much more of her I can watch
Abbey Murphy had 2 goals and an assist tonight. In three games this season she has 12 points, 6 goals, and 6 assists and is +11. It really sucks having to watch her play. 🤔 😉 😀
I got to the game in time for the second period. Seemed like BU got off to a strong start before I got there but cooled down considerably after the first 10 minutes.
Game two identical to game one except Layla Hemp gets the start in net.
https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1974550085716377790
Gophers go into the third down 2-1, but turn it on to win 5-2. Murphy with the hat trick. Laitinen and Plosova with the others
Was at the game today. BU really played them tough for two full periods. Was impressed to see them give the gophers troubles...but they really played a super third period scoring 4 goals to convincingly win. Hatty for Abbey today. Nice job!!!
The Women do a home and home with St. Cloud this weekend. Ridder tonight at 5:30 and in St. Cloud tomorrow at 1:00. Huskies led by a couple of ex-Gophers, Mira Jalusuo, in her first year as head coach, and assistant Noora Räty. The Huskies are 3-1 on the season, sweeping Lindenwood at home and splitting 2-1 games at UConn.
Tomorrow’s game on FOX 9+
Gophers up 3-1 after two. Not a real pretty game, but they’re limiting chances. Murphy with a nice billiard shot off the goalie. Paul and Bouveng with the other two.
4-1 final. Plosova with the empty netter
Made the drive up today. Good seats are available
The game is on FOX 9+
Made the drive up today. Good seats are available
![]()
The game is on FOX 9+
That's the way to do it, go to the game.
People in the northern part of the state don't have FOX9, can't watch men's or women's Gopher hockey.
Down 0-1 after one. Weird deflection goal. Gophers with the better chances but overall not real sharp.
Primerano
1-1
Murphy
2-1
2-2
Murphy
3-2
3-3
End of two
3-3
Shots 36-17 favoring Gophers
Hemp out, Clark in to start the third
And as I type this…..
Paul
4-3
Kreisz
5-3
5-3 final
shots 47-24
Outshot 46-29 in a 4-1 home loss. Kaiser got the one goal, deep into the third.
Minnesota jumps out to an early lead and wins 6-3 despite being outshot 30-22. Very chippy at the end. A Buckeye got ejected in the third for boarding Laitinen.
https://twitter.com/NicoleHaase/status/1980025883952828493
Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
The reverse replay angle looks even worse. #27 for OSU takes down Kreisz then gives her a full two handed stick chop to her leg, then cross checks her while she is down on the ice. Then Primerano comes in to defend her teammate and all hell breaks loose.
Graham will get an automatic one-game suspension for a game disqualification, as will OSU's Carmichael. We'll see what else comes of this.
Graham will get an automatic one-game suspension for a game disqualification, as will OSU's Carmichael. We'll see what else comes of this.
Primerano was suspended a game by the league (so was OSU's Petrie).
A little different take.
https://www.theicegarden.com/ohio-state-and-minnesotas-frozen-fury-was-not-an-unsightly-event/
A little different take.
https://www.theicegarden.com/ohio-state-and-minnesotas-frozen-fury-was-not-an-unsightly-event/
I'm more inclined to believe in this line of thinking. I wasn't super into pro women's hockey before the PWHL even though I did love the college game. But now with two years of hearing the players' various perspectives on how they want to play, this view does seem to be in the majority among the people on the ice. College should have *less* of it, and this was an extreme example. But I am definitely against it being seen as a referendum.
How about a referendum on a higher officiating standard?
Gophers a bit short tonight. Primerano sitting out her suspension. Sarah Paul didn’t play after the first period on Sunday. Olivia Kortan dressing for her first game.
https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/1981844366089134537
