50 Users
111 Likes
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12432
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

The last non conference series of the regular season. Gophers are currently #1 in the pairwise, while SCSU is currently 5th. Very limited amount of tickets are remaining.

GPL podcast returns on Weds night @ 9:30pm with guest Drew Cove. 

January 7, 2023

6:00 pm
National Hockey Center

Minnesota at St. Cloud State

TV: CBSSN, NCHC.tv
Radio: 1130 KTLK-AM/103.5 FM

January 8, 2023

3:00 pm
3M Arena at Mariucci

St. Cloud State at Minnesota

TV: Bally Sports North
Video Stream: BTN+, BS+
Radio: 1130 KTLK-AM/103.5 FM

Promotion schedule this week.
  • Goldy's Kids Club Day
    • Discounted tickets for GKC members
    • Spin-to-win prize wheel for GKC members
    • Locker room tour for GKC members
  • First 1,000 UMN students receive FREE Gopher Hockey t-shirts

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1164
Post on old board: 6912

This should be a good series with a quick turnover between games, Concrete Center should be wild Saturday night & Mari full on Sunday afternoon. 

gator reacted
gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 737

We're going to both games! Looking forward to a Gophers sweep!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5582
Post on old board: 16243

Wife and I going to the game in SCSU. When I ordered the 2 seats, I thought they were on the glass. When I looked them up, they were on the glass... right behind the SCSU penalty box... lol!!! Hopefully we'll get to see a couple "Huskey Women" visit the box and successful power play goals for the Gophers. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Kelly Red reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2290

I’ll be going to both games as well! Saturday I’ll be at the Concrete Center with a couple of friends who are St. Cloud alumni (the things you do for friends ?) and then I’m very excited to be getting back to Mariucci for the first time in a month next Sunday to hopefully watch our Gophers complete the sweep of the Huskies. Although, if I’m being honest, with how good both teams look I think we’re looking at a split on the weekend. Hopefully the boys come out flying and prove me wrong. 

gopheritall reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7365

The exhibitions showed we can win close low scoring games not just out scoring our opponents. Having many ways to win is huge. 

Should be 2 very entertaining games. 

FargoGopher7
(@fargogopher7)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 87

I'll be up watching them on red lake fishing. So having our world junior guys back isn't looking so good right now

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @fargogopher7

I'll be up watching them on red lake fishing. So having our world junior guys back isn't looking so good right now

The championship game is on Thursday. They will be back by the Saturday game.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

They’ll be back, but will they play Saturday. I can see them playing Sunday, but Saturday?

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gator

@frozen4champs 

They’ll be back, but will they play Saturday. I can see them playing Sunday, but Saturday?

I'm guessing yes. I'm just going by last years games at Penn St where those guys coming back from the Olympics had a horrible travel schedule and they played. Plus, I'm sure they scheduled the series for Sat & Sun with the intension of having those players back. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6891
Post on old board: 18942

They're traveling back from Canada not Europe.  Unless something goes wacky during their return I'd expect them to play on Saturday. 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

That's the biggest positive. The World Championships are in Canada and halfway around the world. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@frozen4champs 

That's the biggest positive. The World Championships are in Canada and halfway around the world. 

Also, I hope they don't have to fly Southwest ? 

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

They are safe there... Southwest doesn't fly in or out of Canada... lol!!!

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4331

Can’t wait for this weekend! SWEEP the Gopher rejects.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Six days out and there’s only 49 tickets left. All singles as well. Really hope the students come back for this one. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Last year we skated them into the ice for 3 periods at Mariucci yet somehow lost 2-1 so karma came back to bite husky fans with that wacky (and in my opinion downright hilarious) McLaughlin jersey tug goal. 

What an instant classic. Parrish’s call was everything. ??

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 323

@frozen4champs 

It's an interesting question, especially if they are in the Championship game.  That would mean 5 games in 7 days.  I get they are young, but you rarely see NHL players having to play that many in that short of time.

Assuming they are in the championship, I imagine they will suit up and play limited shifts on Saturday.

Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 159

St Cloud and Michigan are always my two favorite series to watch. I'm rooting for a sweep, but this has split written all over it. Don't be surprised if the Gophers and St Cloud both make it to Tampa in April (assuming they don't get put in same Regional)

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 240

Posted by: @joegopher

@frozen4champs 

It's an interesting question, especially if they are in the Championship game.  That would mean 5 games in 7 days.  I get they are young, but you rarely see NHL players having to play that many in that short of time.

Assuming they are in the championship, I imagine they will suit up and play limited shifts on Saturday.

Count me in the minority that hates the World Junior Tournament. We shouldn’t be wondering if some players will be playing or not in a meaningful college hockey game because of a gimmick tournament that just concluded.

gator reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3902
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @wilson34

@frozen4champs 

Count me in the minority that hates the World Junior Tournament. We shouldn’t be wondering if some players will be playing or not in a meaningful college hockey game because of a gimmick tournament that just concluded.

It's a very, very big tournament for players of this age.  Almost all of the big NHL players had played in the IIHF  World Junior Championships.  I was in Toronto several years ago (maybe 10 years now) just before the IIHF WJC when Connor McDavid got hurt (I believe he was playing for the Otters).  The Canadian version of Sports Center was wall to wall coverage of whether or not McDavid would be able to play in the WJC.  Hours straight of Connor McDavid injury discussion.  They were taking calls from viewers....

That said, EVERY year this same discussion is brought up and the players returning from the tourney rarely play for the Gophers when they return.  And honestly when they do play, they often don't play well, likely due to fatigue.  So the coaches have to figure it out and not schedule important games for the first weekend after the IIHF WJC.

gator and JoeGopher reacted

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

@frozen4champs 

Hopefully Motzko keeps scheduling the exhibition games over Christmas break because of this.

And I’ve heard Motzko say a couple times already that all 4 will be back and will be playing Saturday. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7159
Post on old board: 10120

@frozen4champs 

why is it a gimmick?   

gator reacted
Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @bertogliat

@frozen4champs 

It's a very, very big tournament for players of this age.  Almost all of the big NHL players had played in the IIHF  World Junior Championships.  I was in Toronto several years ago (maybe 10 years now) just before the IIHF WJC when Connor McDavid got hurt (I believe he was playing for the Otters).  The Canadian version of Sports Center was wall to wall coverage of whether or not McDavid would be able to play in the WJC.  Hours straight of Connor McDavid injury discussion.  They were taking calls from viewers....

That said, EVERY year this same discussion is brought up and the players returning from the tourney rarely play for the Gophers when they return.  And honestly when they do play, they often don't play well, likely due to fatigue.  So the coaches have to figure it out and not schedule important games for the first weekend after the IIHF WJC.

Not disputing how big the tournament is. It’s clearly a barometer for scouts and NHL teams with college hockey being collateral every year. I have zero interest in the the NHL and their future prospects.

I’m a college fan, obviously specifically the Gophers, so that’s there I’m coming from. I’m sure Wisconsin would of liked to have Stramel against Clarkson…

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The schedule now is 100% better than in years past. I remember many Mariucci classics when the Gophers were always down 4 or 5 players and in some years could not field a complete team. I know Bob has said its tough to get teams to come in for the classic, but I'm sure he is fine with not playing any real games until after the world juniors. 

I would be ok if Peart missed his plane back to Minnesota.

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @cowgirl

@frozen4champs 

why is it a gimmick?   

It’s 100% a promotional tool for the NHL. They even air it on their own network. It’s a glorified exhibition contest with zero ramifications. Therefore a gimmick.

Turning into the wrong thread. Just want the Gophers to beat St. Cloud with their full lineup.

gator reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

I think we’ll beat them either way?‍♂️

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Standing room only is all that is left

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1610356797227032576?s=20&t=H-ZqLmgM-xhiGK50dWgXxQ

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10379
Post on old board: 21741

I really hope MN exposes them for what they are.  

jan brady wig GIF by HULU

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot and Iceburg reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Do people think we’re going curb stomp these guys? I feel like SCSU is pretty good. Also, while I think the gophers are really solid we’re definitely not without our weak spots. I don’t want to be a wet blanket and be like a certain former poster. But the Huskies are a solid squad and with it being a home-and-home this series feels like it has “split” written all over it. 

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1998

gator and HandyNotDan reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6891
Post on old board: 18942

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Do people think we’re going curb stomp these guys? I feel like SCSU is pretty good. Also, while I think the gophers are really solid we’re definitely not without our weak spots. I don’t want to be a wet blanket and be like a certain former poster. But the Huskies are a solid squad and with it being a home-and-home this series feels like it has “split” written all over it. 

I've seen quite a few mentions of "sweep" but I don't know how much of that is people fully expecting a sweep, just having fun/being a fan/trolling with the whole arrogance thing. 

I'm with you and while the team is very capable of a sweep, unless SCSU is overrated (and I would not classify them that way yet) they're going to be a tough out.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

I've seen quite a few mentions of "sweep" but I don't know how much of that is people fully expecting a sweep, just having fun/being a fan/trolling with the whole arrogance thing. 

I'm with you and while the team is very capable of a sweep, unless SCSU is overrated (and I would not classify them that way yet) they're going to be a tough out.

I’m guessing it’s mostly in jest. Which is perfect btw. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I would absolutely love to sweep these guys and think the Gophers definitely can. Emphasis on can. But you’re right, it will be a tough out. Possibly one of our toughest weekends of the season. I think a lot of it depends on when the WJC players get back, if they play on Saturday/how much, and what shape they’re in when they do suit up. 

Greyeagle reacted
BIll
 BIll
(@bill)
Rep Pts: 6

Correct me if i'm wrong. But Saturdaty game is CBSSN only no Fox 9+. Should be a great series. I see a split.

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 737

St. Cloud lost their last game at Miami 5 to 0, so I seriously think the Gophers will sweep this weekend. Go Gophers!!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @gopherfun83

St. Cloud lost their last game at Miami 5 to 0, so I seriously think the Gophers will sweep this weekend. Go Gophers!!

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gopherfun83 reacted
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Hey, believe me, I couldn’t be happier if I’m wrong. Let’s go Gophers! Take it to ‘em!! 

gopherfun83 reacted
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1247

It’s 100% a promotional tool for the NHL. They even air it on their own network. It’s a glorified exhibition contest with zero ramifications. Therefore a gimmick.

The WJC is a major deal to the hockey world -- it's the last best on best age group competition that's guaranteed for the world. It's also a major proving ground for the draft eligible players competing against older players. Once skaters get past the U20 event, the 'Olympics' and 'World Cup' and 'World Championships' are opportunties to win for your country, but it's not the same because of the players being held out by pro contracts. USA Hockey basically turned up the heat on the meaning of the U-17, U-18 and WJC U-20 by establishing the USNTDP.

The WJC also has significant ramifications for the players involved, as basically a gold medal finish has just as many bragging rights as an NCAA Title, Olympic Gold Medal or Stanley Cup Ring... especially in Canada if you've watched how much TSN has given to the event over the past two decades or the attention fans/scouts pay to the tournament every year. A great performance on this stage can cement a No. 1 overall pick and a poor one can start a slide into the teens.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

You're probably the lone ranger in that group.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

As a Gopher fan it's tough to lose players for a few weeks but luckily it occurs during a slow time of the season.

As a Gopher fan I love it because you almost always see a significant jump in confidence & production in the young players when they return from the tourney.

As a hockey fan I place the Jr. tourney and games right up there with the NCAA and Stanley Cup playoffs.  It's awesome hockey and I'm grateful the NHL Networks provides us with (I think) 100% game coverage.

As a Gopher fan I really hope we kick Jan into Tiger's doghouse.

The Brady Bunch Bitch Please GIF

Bertogliat and gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@greyeagle 

Prior to '98, you would lose players for the year.  Not just the first week in Jan. Or for 2 weeks in Feb like last season. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

@greyeagle 

Prior to '98, you would lose players for the year.  Not just the first week in Jan. Or for 2 weeks in Feb like last season. 

I think you're recalling the Olympics when players would join the team for the entire season, in which case you're 100% spot on.

Good catch though, I would put the Olympic tournament right up there and when the NHL players compete there is no better hockey tournament.

gator reacted

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

I think you're recalling the Olympics when players would join the team for the entire season, in which case you're 100% spot on.

Good catch though, I would put the Olympic tournament right up there and when the NHL players compete there is no better hockey tournament.

Yep... thanks for correcting me.

Though as for the NHL'ers and the Olympics. I just wish they would play on the bigger Olympic sheet and open the game up more!!! There's nothing like World Jr's, the Olympics and even the World Cup of Hockey.  The pride and honor those players put out for their countries!!!

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

The WJC is a major deal to the hockey world -- it's the last best on best age group competition that's guaranteed for the world. It's also a major proving ground for the draft eligible players competing against older players. Once skaters get past the U20 event, the 'Olympics' and 'World Cup' and 'World Championships' are opportunties to win for your country, but it's not the same because of the players being held out by pro contracts. USA Hockey basically turned up the heat on the meaning of the U-17, U-18 and WJC U-20 by establishing the USNTDP.

The WJC also has significant ramifications for the players involved, as basically a gold medal finish has just as many bragging rights as an NCAA Title, Olympic Gold Medal or Stanley Cup Ring... especially in Canada if you've watched how much TSN has given to the event over the past two decades or the attention fans/scouts pay to the tournament every year. A great performance on this stage can cement a No. 1 overall pick and a poor one can start a slide into the teens.

Right. Again, not disputing the scope and the magnitude that NHL teams and scouts put into the tournament. Made that clear in previous posts. I’m looking at this from the college perspective, and the college game being collateral for the World Juniors every year.

I don’t care how Canada covers the tournament. If they are so enthusiastic about the tournament they would of showed up last August. Most of these players fates have already been decided as most are drafted going into the tournament. And the draft eligibles? They’ll be fine regardless and still get drafted high.

I respectfully disagree that a WJ Gold holds the same weight as a NCAA title (viewing from an American perspective), a traditional Olympic medal, or a Stanley Cup ring. I think some may be singing a different tune if Cooley or Snugeruud tear a ACL at this exhibition tournament.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 330

Did Bob or anyone else confirm that the Saturday, Sunday scheduling was intentional to give more time between World Juniors? It would make sense that St. Cloud would agree in advance to it since they typically have a few players in the tournament. 

I am pleasantly surprised we have seen so much demand for the Sunday tickets.  I would of thought the traditionalists who prefer the standard Friday Saturday time slots would of suppressed demand more.

Greyeagle reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @sufferingsotafan

Did Bob or anyone else confirm that the Saturday, Sunday scheduling was intentional to give more time between World Juniors? It would make sense that St. Cloud would agree in advance to it since they typically have a few players in the tournament. 

I am pleasantly surprised we have seen so much demand for the Sunday tickets.  I would of thought the traditionalists who prefer the standard Friday Saturday time slots would of suppressed demand more.

Yes, he confirmed it on one of the Gopher Weekly Podcasts. Smart move by everyone involved. So excited for this weekend!

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Any favorite bars/restaurants for Gopher fans in St. Cloud? Quick google search shows Howie's and Shooters are both very close nearby. 

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1135

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Any favorite bars/restaurants for Gopher fans in St. Cloud? Quick google search shows Howie's and Shooters are both very close nearby. 

It's been a few years but I remember MCs Dugout being a place with many Gopher fans.  7 West taphouse has great burgers and fries if you're just looking for good food.

Eric Vegoe reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7617
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Val's. Always Val's. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Chris Eckes
(@chris-eckes)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 558

Anybody have spare tickets for Sunday's game?  Hoping to bring my dad and my 4yo son.  Hit me up if you've got extras you want to sell!

Page 1 / 5