684 Likes
52.2 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12642
Post on old board: 9626

https://twitter.com/TheRinkLive/status/1603155632839954434

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Posted by: @g-manpuck

maybe just realized potential.

Just a bit of trivia.  There actually is a word that means "realized potential"

en·tel·e·chy
/ənˈteləkē/

noun

PHILOSOPHY
  1. the realization of potential.

max27t reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2003

Posted by: @snowcool08

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Last year Ben Meyers had 5 goals at the break. He finished with 17 while missing time at the Olympics and also scored 2 against the U18’s and 1 against St. Thomas that went uncounted. Who’s most likely to make that sort of jump this year? I got Matthew Knies. 

Huglen seems like a guy that could make that kind of jump.

He just needs to shoot more. He likes to dance around people instead of going directly to the net. 

Maybe the fans need to holler "shoot" when he has the puck.

trixR4kids reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7487

Gophers given the best odds to win the title at +500 by Draft kings. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @slap-shot

Reading back through commentary leading into the season if posters are being honest Brodzinski has to be their surprise player so far.  ? 

I will gladly eat my words regarding him. I still think its absurd he was on the ice during 3 on 3, and even 4 on 4 seems pretty bizarre considering the skating ability of other players. But I totally underestimated his ability to bury the puck, and his line is obviously one of the X-factors if the Gophers are going to win the title.

I don’t think anyone needs to eat their words re Brodzinski, he was outmatched in a top 6 role when playing good teams but in a bottom six role his deficiencies are far less obvious and he has more time and space to shoot the puck. Idk why they kept sticking him with Walker last year but it didn’t seem to benefit either of them. 

Norm reacted
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Posted by: @slap-shot

Reading back through commentary leading into the season if posters are being honest Brodzinski has to be their surprise player so far.  ? 

I will gladly eat my words regarding him. I still think its absurd he was on the ice during 3 on 3, and even 4 on 4 seems pretty bizarre considering the skating ability of other players. But I totally underestimated his ability to bury the puck, and his line is obviously one of the X-factors if the Gophers are going to win the title.

Idk why they kept sticking him with Walker last year but it didn’t seem to benefit either of them. 

Weird that half the people on a message board could see that but the coaches couldn't. Should have had Bonnie Blair's kid center Blake and Sammy.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5335
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @norm

Weird that half the people on a message board could see that but the coaches couldn't. Should have had Bonnie Blair's kid center Blake and Sammy.

Jess Myers and I had the conversation about Grant centering Blake & Sammy this past weekend. And why it never happened.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5685
Post on old board: 16243

I always thought Cruikshank was under used and posted about it last year.  I wish he was still a Gopher this year.

Keep your stick on the ice...

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1180

https://twitter.com/teamech/status/1603432590286938117?s=46&t=zMQps_whUkFUUpusQXx3Ow

Can some gamblers tell me what this means? 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4694
Post on old board: 10695

+500 represents 5:1 odds, so if you bet 100 on the Gophers and they win the championship, you'll win 500 (600 total payout)

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2623
Post on old board: 15478

If I were a gambler (I'm not) I would be tempted to place a bet on PSU at those odds.

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1308

I don’t think anyone needs to eat their words re Brodzinski, he was outmatched in a top 6 role when playing good teams but in a bottom six role his deficiencies are far less obvious and he has more time and space to shoot the puck. Idk why they kept sticking him with Walker last year but it didn’t seem to benefit either of them. 

I honestly think Brodzinski had the worst fit being paired with Walker and McLaughlin... those two are just pure chaos players that generate most of their chances out of transition and breakdowns by opponents. I think there was some chemistry there by history and personality, but it wasn't going to work with the Gophers schedule. Conversly Nelson and Nevers are structure players that make possession plays by drawing attention, holding onto the puck and creating scoring chances with a ground game.

I clearly can't explain things, but I think hindsight 20/20 that putting Cruikshank between McLaughlin and Walker might have been the better move... maybe then they could have put Brodzinski with Nelson and Huglen... and of course at the start of the year they could have had Knies-Meyers-Lucius and fourth line of Broz-Perbix-Sorenson-Nevers.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @streakygopher

If I were a gambler (I'm not) I would be tempted to place a bet on PSU at those odds.

I wouldn’t be tempted in the slightest. Guy Gadowsky doesn’t build teams for the postseason. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10633
Post on old board: 21741

Shot across the bow….or on net. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Shot across the bow….or on net. 

Well, we're talking about PSU. If it's at their arena, a tip at the top of the circle the goes out of play without even hitting the glass might be called a SOG...

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

I clearly can't explain things, but I think hindsight 20/20 that putting Cruikshank between McLaughlin and Walker might have been the better move... maybe then they could have put Brodzinski with Nelson and Huglen... and of course at the start of the year they could have had Knies-Meyers-Lucius and fourth line of Broz-Perbix-Sorenson-Nevers.

It's not hindsight if we were saying it last year!

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

I honestly think Brodzinski had the worst fit being paired with Walker and McLaughlin... those two are just pure chaos players that generate most of their chances out of transition and breakdowns by opponents. I think there was some chemistry there by history and personality, but it wasn't going to work with the Gophers schedule. Conversly Nelson and Nevers are structure players that make possession plays by drawing attention, holding onto the puck and creating scoring chances with a ground game.

This is all true, idk the exact line combos but I agree that playing Cruikshank in his regular position prob wouldn’t have hurt and Walker prob shouldn’t have been centering a top 6 fwd line.

max27t
(@max27t)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 162

Posted by: @composer

Posted by: @g-manpuck

maybe just realized potential.

Just a bit of trivia.  There actually is a word that means "realized potential"

en·tel·e·chy
/ənˈteləkē/

noun

PHILOSOPHY
  1. the realization of potential.

Thank you for this. I will add it to my mental list of new words for 2022. Previous entries this year were metonym and strobogrammatic. I've probably missed out on many words because I don't read all the threads 🙁

Jupiter ♃ reacted
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2608
Post on old board: 7833

blush GIF

He said strobogrammatic 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1604119221876596736

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MN State 0f Hockey
(@mnstate0fhockey)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 588

Posted by: @streakygopher

I really like Quinnipiac at the same odds.  

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7572

Yeah Quinnipiac being 18 to 1 is disrespectful. At this point it would take a collapse for them to not make the NCAA tournament. As a number one or two seed in their region they should be favorite in their first game. With 16 teams in the tournament they should have a better then 1 in 16 chance.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1604858819762302976

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I know that polls don't matter until April 10th, and the pairwise is the way to judge how teams are doing, but I do get pleasure that the DUHluth PxP guy gets bent out of shape when it breaks the way of the Gophers. 

https://twitter.com/BruceCiskie/status/1604919662965317634

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Anyone that knows me at all realizes how little I agree with Ciskie, but he is right.  The polls don't matter and haven't for decades.

I do, however, share in your joy at the particular situation.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4630
Post on old board: 28736

Ciskie sucked when he posted on USCHO all the time way way back l9ng before he was the pxp guy.  His takes are just trash.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7110
Post on old board: 18942

The polls don't matter so much he felt it necessary to complain. And you know if the teams were reversed he'd have said nothing about it.

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 333

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Yeah Quinnipiac being 18 to 1 is disrespectful. At this point it would take a collapse for them to not make the NCAA tournament. As a number one or two seed in their region they should be favorite in their first game. With 16 teams in the tournament they should have a better then 1 in 16 chance.

@collegehockeyaddict   The odds do get spread out fairly thin if the field only has 1 or 2 really weak teams make the final 16. Most teams who make the tourney at least have a punchers chance, unless they are the auto qualifier from a weaker conference. I made the chart below just as a hypothetical example. The betting odds clearly give more favor to the top seeds/big programs favor but it gives a quick SWAG of how thin the odds can get. 

The betting odds are treating Quinnipiac more like my example 1/16 odds for seeds 5-8 which doesn't seem that unreasonable. They have a chance to stay as a top seed but could also drop to a more mid range 8-12 seed team and maybe they think there is some overachievement in their results so far. 

SWAG odds for a Hypothetical field of 16 

Seed Win It All % Odds Ratio Example Team (Based on Current Pairwise) Conference
1 12.50% 1/8 Minnesota BIG
2 12.50% 1/8 Denver NCHC
3 12.50% 1/8 Quinnipiac ECAC
4 12.50% 1/8 Merrimack HEA
5 6.25% 1/16 Penn State BIG
6 6.25% 1/16 St Cloud State NCHC
7 6.25% 1/16 Boston University HEA
8 6.25% 1/16 Michigan State BIG
9 4.17% 1/24 Ohio State BIG
10 4.17% 1/24 Connecticut HEA
11 4.17% 1/24 Michigan BIG
12 3.13% 1/32 Massachusetts HEA
13 3.13% 1/32 Harvard ECAC
14 3.13% 1/32 Mass Lowell HEA
15 3.12% ~1/32 Bemidji / MN State CCHA
16 0.00% ~ Atlantic Tourney winner (RIT) Atlantic

Total Odds 100.00%      

Suffering Sota Fan
(@sufferingsotafan)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 333

For what its worth, a #1 seed has won the championship 11 out of 19 times since the 4 region 16 team format started. This gives an implied win% of 14.47% for each top seed. Surprisingly the #2 seeds have only won 3 times.  of course this is a small sample. 

Year Championship Team Seed Rough 4 team Tier (16 teams) Format #
2003 Minnesota (5) #1 West 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 1
2004 Denver (6) #2 West 5-8 4 Regions--16 Teams 2
2005 Denver (7) #1 North east 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 3
2006 Wisconsin (6) #1 Midwest 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 4
2007 Michigan State (3) #3 Midwest 9-12 4 Regions--16 Teams 5
2008 Boston College (3) #2North east 5-8 4 Regions--16 Teams 6
2009 Boston University (5) #1 North east 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 7
2010 Boston College (4) #1 North east 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 8
2011 Minnesota–Duluth #3 East 9-12 4 Regions--16 Teams 9
2012 Boston College (5) #1 North east 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 10
2013 Yale #4 West 13-16 4 Regions--16 Teams 11
2014 Union #1 East 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 12
2015 Providence #4 East 13-16 4 Regions--16 Teams 13
2016 North Dakota (8) #1 Midwest 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 14
2017 Denver (8) #1 Midwest 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 15
2018 Minnesota–Duluth (2) #3 West 9-12 4 Regions--16 Teams 16
2019 Minnesota–Duluth (3) #1 Midwest 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 17
2020 Covid     4 Regions--16 Teams  
2021 Massachusetts #2 East 5-8 4 Regions--16 Teams 18
2022 Denver (9) #1 East 1-4 4 Regions--16 Teams 19

Seed Tier # of Championships for teams in given 4 team set % Implied odds for each team in that tier (Even Spread)
1-4 11 57.89% 14.47%
5-8 3 15.79% 3.95%
9-12 3 15.79% 3.95%
13-16 2 10.53% 2.63%
Subtotal  19 100.00% ---

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7110
Post on old board: 18942

JWG, HandyNotDan, Cowgirl and 3 people reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7305
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I know that polls don't matter until April 10th, and the pairwise is the way to judge how teams are doing, but I do get pleasure that the DUHluth PxP guy gets bent out of shape when it breaks the way of the Gophers. 

We are just that good. ?

tArrogance is in full swing again.  

wasn’t it just a few weeks  ago when we swept a ranked team and Denver lost to an unranked and still became number one? (Green msu and asu respectively, I think).  The polls have been weird this year.  

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

An interesting listen/watch of this weeks podcast. Jess gets into a tussle with the rest of the writers about Chaz Lucius.  Jess still claims him as a Gopher on the World Junior team and the rest are not having it. It appears Jess also will go to his grave defending the Lucius Family and says they are great people. That somewhat contradicts what I recall Jup and Vegoe vaguely hinting about what may have happened in Boston at the Frozen Four. I hope someday we will get the rest of the story about what really happened.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Do I like the Lucius family? Not really. Do we get to claim Chaz as a Gopher? Yes. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2328

I personally don’t. He played here for a year and left unceremoniously under, shall we say, interesting circumstances. Sure, he’s a gopher alumni. But I don’t claim him in regards to the WJC team and stuff like that. Was last year all his fault? No, probably not. We’ll also probably never know exactly what happened. I can’t imagine all of the pressure he was under from all sides but at the end of the day he left, like I said, under interesting circumstances, didn’t do much while he was here, and from the sounds of it, didn’t make much of an effort to be part of the team while he was here. Not to mention all of the nonsense with his parents and then his brother switching his commitment to Wisconsin. Best of luck Lucius family. After years of hearing how much they wanted to be Gophers, their time with the program was short but certainly entertaining. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1605182300513148928

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4463

Don’t have a game thread to throw this in, so putting it here.

The home game against St Cloud has potential to be a sellout. Pretty exciting. I think the atmosphere in St. Cloud Saturday will also be great. Already looking forward to that weekend.  

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

The home game against St Cloud has potential to be a sellout. Pretty exciting. I think the atmosphere in St. Cloud Saturday will also be great. Already looking forward to that weekend.  

Will the students be back from break?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

No they aren't. Hopefully a decent chunk show up though.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

They resume class the following Monday it appears so I would not be surprised if a few come back early for a Saturday night game.  I’d be willing to bet a majority of the students don’t come from too far away either.  

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5335
Post on old board: 15786

Posted by: @cowgirl

They resume class the following Monday it appears so I would not be surprised if a few come back early for a Saturday night game.  I’d be willing to bet a majority of the students don’t come from too far away either.  

It is a Sunday afternoon game at Mariucci. They should be back.

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @jupiter

It is a Sunday afternoon game at Mariucci. They should be back.

sorry, I was thinking the game in st.  cloud.  But yeah, if the U starts up again Monday the students definitely should be back!

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Have there been recent changes to the academic schedule?  I thought Spring Semester starts after MLK.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @thinkbui

Have there been recent changes to the academic schedule?  I thought Spring Semester starts after MLK.

It does, you are correct

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

@rau4skiumah 

Jimmy Snuggerud acknowledges Lucius as a former Gopher in the latest episode of “Gopher talk” with Mike Grimm ?? ok now I’m over it

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

@rau4skiumah 

Jimmy Snuggerud acknowledges Lucius as a former Gopher in the latest episode of “Gopher talk” with Mike Grimm ?? ok now I’m over it

Lol well if he’s good enough for Snuggy, maybe he should be good enough for me. 

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 747

The Gophers will sweep St. Cloud this year! I'm looking forward to watching them win 2 years in a row now in Granite city.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7572

St. Cloud fans/students don't come from too far away because their main mode of transportation is a snow mobile. ? 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden

Should be lots of Polaris jackets with this cold! 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

436 tickets left. 

Page 6 / 26