29.9 K Views
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2469

Posted by: @slap-shot

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Perhaps a stupid question - why wouldn't every player 'join' DA?

can do things on own. Unsure but DTA may do a “split pot” model with things being divided amongst a team and may have mandated “appearances” each player has to do to be part of it, which some may wish to opt out of. Not like it’s just necessarily free money to be part of the collective

I get the 'split-pot' angle, but if the top-end players for the most part opt in, how much opportunity is there for some of these players to earn NIL on their own?

no idea, but they may just be opting out saying the NIL is not great and that they don’t want to do the appearances, interviews, all access stuff. Or maybe they have their own agent. Or maybe they don’t want to deal with the taxes/finances side. No player has really said why they’re not in DTA so just trying to come up with some possible reasons

Slap Shot reacted
ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1279
Post on old board: 5547

I know the Gophers lost a lot of players from last seasons team and this years team is very young but this years team is not to good yet to many splits with games played.

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1068
Post on old board: 29516

Posted by: @gopher6

I know the Gophers lost a lot of players from last seasons team and this years team is very young but this years team is not to good yet to many splits with games played.

They've played nationally ranked teams for two straight months. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1068
Post on old board: 29516

Jesus. I just looked at the schedule. 

we repeat this stretch again from the end of January through march. We basically have OSUx2, CC, and RMU to get our stuff figured out. 

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2375

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

we repeat this stretch again from the end of January through march. We basically have OSUx2, CC, and RMU to get our stuff figured out. 

I have a feeling that it’ll look a little different and much more in our favor. Motzko’s teams always seem to grow into the season. Sweep the next eight games of OSU x2, RMU, and CC and then make the rest of the conference remember why we are back to back regular season champs and why we were picked to win it again this year. This team still has a lot of talent and depth. Most of our losses are of our own making. While that’s very frustrating the positive is when the team cuts those out they’ll be one of the top teams in the country. Pretty much every year we have seen Motzko’s teams come back stronger after the break. 

dxmnkd316 reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10937
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

Good. 
I have confidence in this team and the staff and methinks the other teams will be more concerned about playing MN. 

College Sports Cape GIF by Minnesota Gophers

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1344

Perhaps a stupid question - why wouldn't every player 'join' DA?

BTW -- some players get contacted by DA to 'sign' and never respond.

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12917
Post on old board: 9626

From Bob's radio show--

-- said 1 player got dinged up last weekend, but will be fine for this weekend.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1733193414068277623

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
sterfry9
(@sterfry9)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 42

man that dangle at the end against the michigan kid, oooofta ya gotta feel for poor kid. what a nice highlight that will be for pitlick to show his kids some day

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4692

Want to make it clear I’m not doom and gloom on this season. The team is very talented. And they’re sitting okay for the NCAAs if they play well.

BUT, it was a major recruiting fail on the defensive side of things this offseason. The coaching staff clearly doesn’t trust Rud and Begley. Nor should they, the fans don’t trust them either. Hardly even played tonight with Fish out. Woof. 

ReplyQuote
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Want to make it clear I’m not doom and gloom on this season. The team is very talented. And they’re sitting okay for the NCAAs if they play well.

BUT, it was a major recruiting fail on the defensive side of things this offseason. The coaching staff clearly doesn’t trust Rud and Begley. Nor should they, the fans don’t trust them either. Hardly even played tonight with Fish out. Woof. 

Now now, don’t be too negative or you’ll get told you need a hobby ? ? 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

You have very valid points, and I will throw out what I think the issue is. Coming into this year, I was fine with the defensive unit. I knew they would never be as good as last years, but that group was a 1 in 20 year group. I felt Koster, Chesley and Thomas would anchor the 3 units along with Mittelstadt and Rinzel in the top 2 groups. I was ok with Fish being the 6th guy, and felt Rud and Begley would battle it out for #7. The issue is, Chesley and Mittelstadt have not grown or improved as quickly as I had hoped. Granted Chesley battled an injury early, but I believe he is fine now. I am actually more disappointed with Luke this year. I know he is supposed to be more of an offensive d-man, but in my eyes he has really struggled. Plus, Luke only has 2 more points than Thomas so far, and he should be far ahead of him. Koster gets a pass because of his "lower body" injury, so I'm hoping the time off really helps him. Thomas, Fish and Rinzel are playing at the level I expected, with Rinzel having a few growing pains.  So, I think Bob should have added a guy 3 years ago, who would  be a junior now, and would have brought some more maturity to the group. I know it's easier said than done, as recruits would probably rather played a #3 role in other programs than be a #6 here for 2 years. The other option was to bring in a transfer guy this off season, but if Bob really liked his group, why upset that mix. I also think Bob thought the offense would cover up any defense weaknesses and that hasn't happened. I hope this break will provide a reset and Chesley will come back from the world juniors with more confidence. 

I don't mind if fans are critical of the team. I just don't like when they have Bonin like takes ( not you ) and go off on every little mistake. This team certainly has not played up to our expectations, and the season is not clearly over, so one can only hope they get it figured out for the 2nd half. I'm looking forward to the break as I think we all need a mental break. 

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Posted by: @frozen4champs

You have very valid points, and I will throw out what I think the issue is. Coming into this year, I was fine with the defensive unit. I knew they would never be as good as last years, but that group was a 1 in 20 year group. I felt Koster, Chesley and Thomas would anchor the 3 units along with Mittelstadt and Rinzel in the top 2 groups. I was ok with Fish being the 6th guy, and felt Rud and Begley would battle it out for #7. The issue is, Chesley and Mittelstadt have not grown or improved as quickly as I had hoped. Granted Chesley battled an injury early, but I believe he is fine now. I am actually more disappointed with Luke this year. I know he is supposed to be more of an offensive d-man, but in my eyes he has really struggled. Plus, Luke only has 2 more points than Thomas so far, and he should be far ahead of him. Koster gets a pass because of his "lower body" injury, so I'm hoping the time off really helps him. Thomas, Fish and Rinzel are playing at the level I expected, with Rinzel having a few growing pains.  So, I think Bob should have added a guy 3 years ago, who would  be a junior now, and would have brought some more maturity to the group. I know it's easier said than done, as recruits would probably rather played a #3 role in other programs than be a #6 here for 2 years. The other option was to bring in a transfer guy this off season, but if Bob really liked his group, why upset that mix. I also think Bob thought the offense would cover up any defense weaknesses and that hasn't happened. I hope this break will provide a reset and Chesley will come back from the world juniors with more confidence. 

I don't mind if fans are critical of the team. I just don't like when they have Bonin like takes ( not you ) and go off on every little mistake. This team certainly has not played up to our expectations, and the season is not clearly over, so one can only hope they get it figured out for the 2nd half. I'm looking forward to the break as I think we all need a mental break. 

You and I discussed this already but more maturity in the D corps is a big reason why I wish Staudacher had stuck around. While he wouldn’t have been the most talented of the defensemen, he knew his role and played it relatively well. He also had three years of experience under his belt. The only person who really has that is Koster. Even with Fish being a senior this is his first year with consistent playing time. I would agree that I am far from despondent about the season but at the same time a little disappointed and frustrated with how the first half has gone. Not going to go into all the reasons why. We’ve all covered them extensively over the past two months. But I’m going mentally relax over the break, enjoy the World Juniors, and by January hopefully this team and the fans are ready to get back to it and make hay in the second half of the season. Still more than confident that this team can put it together for solid run at the natty in April. Win it all in St. Paul! 

ReplyQuote

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7713

The people who’ve given up on the team at Christmas break really make me laugh. No one really has here it’s mostly on that God forsaken Twitter app, but it leaks into here every now and then. 

People knew before the season that the Big Ten would be a bloodbath, but then complain when it actually is?‍♂️

ReplyQuote
GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 415

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

The people who’ve given up on the team at Christmas break really make me laugh. No one really has here it’s mostly on that God forsaken Twitter app, but it leaks into here every now and then. 

People knew before the season that the Big Ten would be a bloodbath, but then complain when it actually is?‍♂️

Yes, but there is a difference between battling in a tough conference, and just simply playing below their abilities. In my opinion, we've witnessed the latter.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @gopherpete

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Yes, but there is a difference between battling in a tough conference, and just simply playing below their abilities. In my opinion, we've witnessed the latter.

perfect. Then given we’ve already beaten the #5 and #7 PWR teams we should be easily able to contend for a title given they have plenty more to tap into. 

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

I have not been to Mariucci this season, I saw posts that the All Americans were not added to the wall yet due to construction any updates?

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7713

@gopher6 

That is true from the last I’ve seen of it. The 2022 Olympians still haven’t been added to that area of the rink either.

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1857
Post on old board: 8686

There’s some additional concourse work being done over the offseason that I imagine would impact these areas. That may be why. At least according the discussion I had with one of the Golden Gopher Fund folks. It’s the last phase of the arena renewal. 

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

I saw a ridiculous shootout record the Gophers have in shoot outs last weekend I know they have not won any this year and all time was like 2-18 all time I am not sure if this is the correct record but it was something close to it they have not scored a goal yet this season

Aloha!

ReplyQuote

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2771
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @gopher6

I saw a ridiculous shootout record the Gophers have in shoot outs last weekend I know they have not won any this year and all time was like 2-18 all time I am not sure if this is the correct record but it was something close to it they have not scored a goal yet this season

Maybe it’s just that the stakes aren’t high enough 

Tv Show Gun GIF by GritTV

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level

I remember in the 70’s the WCHA would have 10 minute over time if games were tied after 3 periods 

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

A pretty good coaches show this week. Worth a listen. Bob talks shootouts, injuries, trying to hold on to 3rd period leads etc..

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/268-inside-gopher-athletics-45631683/episode/gopher-hockey-weekly-with-bob-motzko-134766737/

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Listening to those two talk about the first half and hearing Bob break everything down and telling us how he and coaches are feeling really makes me feel better about things going forward. Seemed to steady everything, acknowledge the good and the bad, and give encouragement and a plan for the second half. Remember, in Bob we trust! 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Batting a 1.000 so far this season!  ? 

Excited Season 9 GIF by The Office

Kidding aside the game day experience has been tremendous so far this season.  Few years ago you could almost hear conversions from across the ice so it's to have an improved game day atmosphere.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7603
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @greyeagle

Batting a 1.000 so far this season!  ? 

Excited Season 9 GIF by The Office

Kidding aside the game day experience has been tremendous so far this season.  Few years ago you could almost hear conversions from across the ice so it's to have an improved game day atmosphere.  

I’m at 76-97% for mine (why a range?) I’ve used all of mine but my seatmates (whose seats are in my name) are the culprits.  ?

ReplyQuote
rowshkex
(@rowshkex)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 327
Post on old board: 5728

I'm also at 76-97%, and my seatmates are also the culprits...  It's just that they would sometimes rather play with Legos and color than watch hockey (a**holes...).

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Come on people... I'm at 100% with a bit of a drive ? 

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Come on people... I'm at 100% with a bit of a drive ? 

Hey now; I have a bit of a drive, too!!  If it was in a Model T.  ? 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1735472221164888483

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 510

A pretty good coaches show this week. Worth a listen. Bob talks shootouts, injuries, trying to hold on to 3rd period leads etc..

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/268-inside-gopher-athletics-45631683/episode/gopher-hockey-weekly-with-bob-motzko-134766737/

Live in the UK at the moment, and even with the VPN iHeart won’t work.  Any chance someone could summarize this?

Overall optimistic about the team and have watched every game and some replays multiple times as my 2 year old loves “ockey” and routinely wakes up at 5AM.  Good excuse to be a good dad.  Most games we are a few plays away and have the talent.  

Need some Gopher Hockey stimulus during the dead period to keep me going.  Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @boninthebear

Live in the UK at the moment, and even with the VPN iHeart won’t work.  Any chance someone could summarize this?

Overall optimistic about the team and have watched every game and some replays multiple times as my 2 year old loves “ockey” and routinely wakes up at 5AM.  Good excuse to be a good dad.  Most games we are a few plays away and have the talent.  

Need some Gopher Hockey stimulus during the dead period to keep me going.  Thanks in advance!

Try this link:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gopher-hockey-weekly-with-bob-motzko-12-11-23/id1466088193?i=1000638254605

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Try this link:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gopher-hockey-weekly-with-bob-motzko-12-11-23/id1466088193?i=1000638254605

Worked great, thank you!  

ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 606

I agree on being a few plays away in most games. The team has enough pieces to beat anyone. Not seeing them execute as cleanly as they need and not seeing a cohesive team. I also don't see them giving up though which is good.

This is a year to focus on enjoying the games and hope for the best at the end of the season.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2501
Post on old board: 11850

Norm reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

An article about the Farm Kid from a local paper in SW MN.

https://www.dglobe.com/sports/conversation-magnolia-native-jaxon-nelson-still-excelling-as-a-gopher-hockey-player?fbclid=IwAR2KE7VJcpvsm0JwefLWSZ64_00-wCLLYmNj1daAijnNGqjS130Z39HayrE

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1742035066627162590

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2068

How is he in shootouts?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4916
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @norm

How is he in shootouts?

Until any of the rest of the team can score in one, does it matter?

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

I assumed Norm was asking how he was as a shooter

MikeEruzione11, Norm, Bertogliat and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/MikeGrimm3/status/1745172355314303125

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Just listened to this. They spend an odd amount of time talking about last season.

ReplyQuote
BoninTheBear
(@boninthebear)
Micheletti Level

Just listened to this. They spend an odd about of time talking about last season.

This has been the biggest opportunity from a leadership perspective in my opinion.  Bob too often talks about last years squad.  We’ve let a crushing National Championship loss negatively impact this years results. 

Move on, pick your britches up and write your own narrative boys.  Now or never.  It’s January, I don’t care what Faber’s number was.

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Just listened to this. They spend an odd about of time talking about last season.

This has been the biggest opportunity from a leadership perspective in my opinion.  Bob too often talks about last years squad.  We’ve let a crushing National Championship loss negatively impact this years results. 

Move on, pick your britches up and write your own narrative boys.  Now or never.  It’s January, I don’t care what Faber’s number was.

this is my biggest hope with the guys coming back from the WJC. Get rid of the skittishness around big games, show you can win, and get the guys moving forward

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

I don’t care what Faber’s number was.

Exactly. Fish's comments about last years team made it seem like he is reminiscing about it and comparing it to this year. Lets move on and make a run.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2638
Post on old board: 15478

Bob too often talks about last years squad.  We’ve let a crushing National Championship loss negatively impact this years results. 

After that weekend in Tampa, he said they were 4 minutes away from a perfect weekend. I would argue they were one game away. Most of that game belonged to Q, a team that played with a cocksure "We have nothing to lose but a National Championship" attitude. Minnesota, on the other hand, seemed to be playing it safe, trying not to lose a national title.

I'd have to go back and look, but in Vanek's second year, and for that matter 2015, the year after Philly and another loss to a first-timer, the teams never seemed to rise to their previous season's consistency level. 

For this team to turn its season around, it's time for the senior+ guys to start contributing consistently. No more weekends off. They can't depend on Snuggy's one-timer to get them to or advance them through the postseason.

I will add that this defense can't skate the puck like last year's team, and the coaches have to make the necessary adjustments to play a style needed for them to win more consistently. I've been saying all year that they should play a tighter defensive game, limiting the scoring opportunities of their opponents while scoring off of the transition. Giving up five goals to St. Thomas and 6 goals to CC three months later, not to mention high shot totals all season, makes this an obvious point, but one that has not been addressed satisfactorily. 

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

Bob too often talks about last years squad.  We’ve let a crushing National Championship loss negatively impact this years results. 

I will add that this defense can't skate the puck like last year's team, and the coaches have to make the necessary adjustments to play a style needed for them to win more consistently. I've been saying all year that they should play a tighter defensive game, limiting the scoring opportunities of their opponents while scoring off of the transition. Giving up five goals to St. Thomas and 6 goals to CC three months later, not to mention high shot totals all season, makes this an obvious point, but one that has not been addressed satisfactorily. 

Nailed it. Not all teams are created equal. You need to play a different style until you can bring in better talent on the defensive side of your roster this offseason. Play tight and structured hockey the rest of the year.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

The hangover from last year was my biggest fear going into this year. We saw it in 2015. This sense of we were so close so let’s just get there again. Losing sight of the whole season. It felt the same way in 2018 with the Vikings the season after the Minneapolis Miracle. For my soccer fans out there, I’m a big Liverpool fan and in 2013-14 they had this really fun team and got so close to winning it all. But in the off season their star player left and their stalwart captain was on his last legs. The following season just wasn’t it. Felt like they never fully recovered from the emotional hangover of the previous season. 

There’s still time to get it together but it better happen asap. No better time than this weekend. 

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5834
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

The hangover from last year was my biggest fear going into this year.

I've been saying this under my breath all season. With the star power, leadership they lost, and I honestly believe the way they lost in the Nat'l Champ game has had a mental effect on this team. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 15