2022 Frozen Four - ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] 2022 Frozen Four - Boston (April 7 & 9)

611 Posts
86 Users
0 Likes
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

For any Frozen Four attendees, Red Sox tix went on sale today for April. They play Baltimore on the 6th (Wed.).

We got a couple tix and will head out a day earlier.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

And now I'm thinking the stupid MLB season may get delayed and we'll be in Boston a day early with no Sox game... D'oh!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626

JWG wrote:

And now I'm thinking the stupid MLB season may get delayed and we'll be in Boston a day early with no Sox game... D'oh!

After a 2 year hiatus of not attending the FF, we are looking forward to going again. Last time in Boston was a blast and we went to the bar that has a garage door that opens up to Fenway. I know a couple of the bars down the street from the Garden have closed (The Fours and The Garden Sports Grille) since we last went, so that is a bummer.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10549
Post on old board: 21741

Mrs. GE plus YE and future the Mrs. YE are going to the FF but a sox game was not in the cards for us. Even before the strike/lockout talk. Flying out Wed afternoon and back Sunday.

Should be a good time, lots to do in Boston and if the Gophers get hot next month it could be even more fun!

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

I go to the Frozen 4 every year. The Boston Mayor has dropped the covid vaccination requirement for TD Garden and local restaurants.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4618
Post on old board: 10695

I'm doing Sunday-Sunday this year. I'll have to check when it gets closer and maybe go to that Wednesday game.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Ugh. FU MLB…

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7427

Fully expect this years squad to be there.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2162

We’re in! Meeting old college friends on Friday for dinner, otherwise just being a tourist. A pilgrimage to Mikes Pastries will be made, I must have a pistachio cannoli. Maybe TWO and pretend it’s breakfast.

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

Was thinking of going but kid has an out of town soccer tournament that weekend.... Hopefully I will be able to find a bar to watch the Gophers win the national championship!

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Just got our flight changed from leaving Tuesday 4/5 to Wednesday 4/6 since our MLB game was canceled. This will be our 4th trip to Boston for the Frozen Four and we're staying downtown at the Marriott Boston Long Wharf across from Faneuil Hall. We've done all the downtown walking tours and history stuff on our previous 3 trips.

Thoughts on what we should do this time?! I hate sitting in the room all day but I don't think I can do the walking tour stuff again. I've been to the Bull & Finch several times as well. Was going to see if there were any shows downtown to maybe catch.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

If you're in to Naval History, Battleship Cove down in Fall River is very good, but you'll need a car. If you haven't been to Fenway, at least head out to do a tour.

Outside of that, not really sure.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Fenway tours only go through 4/1 as of today. Will look again in as they run 30 days out. That's a good idea for one of the days.

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

Early Frozen 4 prediction:

Gophers

Whioux

Purple Cows

St. Cloud

With of course the Gophers winning!

Goldy77
(@goldy77)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 440

gopherfun83 wrote:

Gophers

Whioux

Purple Cows

St. Cloud

That would be fun!

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

gopherfun83 wrote:

Gophers

Whioux

Purple Cows

St. Cloud

I’d take the WCHA reunion show, but I don’t think those 4 teams all get their own regional.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

JWG wrote:

Just got our flight changed from leaving Tuesday 4/5 to Wednesday 4/6 since our MLB game was canceled. This will be our 4th trip to Boston for the Frozen Four and we're staying downtown at the Marriott Boston Long Wharf across from Faneuil Hall. We've done all the downtown walking tours and history stuff on our previous 3 trips.

Thoughts on what we should do this time?! I hate sitting in the room all day but I don't think I can do the walking tour stuff again. I've been to the Bull & Finch several times as well. Was going to see if there were any shows downtown to maybe catch.

Even if you’re not normally a “museum” person, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is a real winner. The collection of a single woman obsessed with art, decor and had the money to indulge it. An absolutely gorgeous mansion turned into a private art museum. And the site of one the biggest art heists in the world, still unsolved.

Travis-age 6

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 745

JWG wrote:

gopherfun83 wrote:

Gophers

Whioux

Purple Cows

St. Cloud

I’d take the WCHA reunion show, but I don’t think those 4 teams all get their own regional.

Assuming, the whioux, purple cows, and Gophers all win their conference tournaments. All 3 would be #1 seeds and St. Cloud ends up out east again.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1179

JWG wrote:

If you rent a car, there are some pretty cool, relatively short drives. Rockport and Salem, Massachusetts are cool coastal towns. Portsmouth, NH is cool too.

Lexington Green is kind of cool to go see, but there's really not much to do there other than just see the site.

The basketball hall of fame is in Springfield, Mass. and is about 1.5 hours from Boston.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2318

I went out to Boston a long time ago when I was a kid but the coolest thing I remember going to was the USS Constitution. If you’re a history buff I would say that is a must.

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2222

gopherfun83 wrote:

JWG wrote:

gopherfun83 wrote:

Gophers

Whioux

Purple Cows

St. Cloud

Assuming, the whioux, purple cows, and Gophers all win their conference tournaments. All 3 would be #1 seeds and St. Cloud ends up out east again.

in this scenario, MN probably ends up out west with Denver in their home regional (Denver likely to be the 5, Kato 1, UND 2/3, Mich 2/3, MN 4). I'm all for the Gophers dodging UND or the Purple Cows until the FF.

Magic
(@magic)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

I haven't been to Boston since their last Frozen 4 in 2015. If you like seafood I highly recommend Atlantic Fish (about 4 blocks west of Trinity Church). If you want cheaper more casual seafood there is a place on the water called Yankee Lobster in the Seaport. I believe their is a comedy club called Laughs Boston a few blocks away from Yankee Lobster also.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

Magic wrote:

I haven't been to Boston since their last Frozen 4 in 2015. If you like seafood I highly recommend Atlantic Fish (about 4 blocks west of Trinity Church). If you want cheaper more casual seafood there is a place on the water called Yankee Lobster in the Seaport. I believe their is a comedy club called Laughs Boston a few blocks away from Yankee Lobster also.

We like Union Oyster House, eaten there several times. I’m always on the lookout for a great lobster roll, will check out Yankee Lobster. We have resys for Friday at a classic Northside Italian spot our Boston friends love, La Familgia Giorgio’s. They have house made pasta and about 10 different sauces. There’s a ton of Italian places on the Northside, some good, some meh.

Travis-age 6

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Kelly Red wrote:

Magic wrote:

We like Union Oyster House, eaten there several times. I’m always on the lookout for a great lobster roll, will check out Yankee Lobster. We have resys for Friday at a classic Northside Italian spot our Boston friends love, La Familgia Giorgio’s. They have house made pasta and about 10 different sauces. There’s a ton of Italian places on the Northside, some good, some meh.

La Familgia Giorgio’s is really close to our hotel. I think we'll try to get a reservation here as well. We're also going to try and get a Fenway tour on Thursday before the games. It's not a game, but at least we get to go (assuming availability). I don't do seafood but my dad does, may have to try one of those as well for him.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

I found a couple of things we booked to do that looked fun and/or different since this will be our 4th Frozen Four in Boston.

https://www.citybrewtours.com/boston/tours/the-original-brew-tour/

Boston Original Brew Tour - 5 hour van tour to 4 different breweries:

• Sam Adams

• Cambridge

• Bearmoose

• Night Shift Brewing

Includes lunch and sampling 16 different types of beer I think it said. There's a shorter version (The Sip of Boston Tour) you can do as well. They're limited to 13 people and our tour on Saturday @ 11am was down to 7 after we booked. Looked like a fun way to get to a number of breweries. $99/person

https://www.undergrounddonuttour.com/boston-historic-downtown-tour

Underground Donut Boston Downtown Tour - 2 hour walking downtown donut tour and sampling

A mix of history and donut eating, seemed like a fun idea. They have 9am and 12p times for their 2-hour walking tour that goes about 1.5 miles and has 5 stops on it. We're doing this Friday AM at 9am as our hotel is only about 1/2 mile from the start and finish (different spots). $40/person (a bit of an overpriced breakfast but looked fun).

We're then going to try and grab a Fenway tour on Thursday mid-morning and stop in at Atlantic Fish for a later lunch before heading up to the arena for the Thursday games.

Still working on Friday afternoon / evening but think we'll just save it for walking around during the day and may do one of the ghost tours or Ayslum Improv that night. Trying to fit La Famiglia Giorgio's in as well - may do so Friday or Saturday after the beer tour since the game isn't until 8pm. The ghost tour leaves at 6pm so would have to do a late dinner Friday if we tried for that.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

JWG wrote:

I found a couple of things we booked to do that looked fun and/or different since this will be our 4th Frozen Four in Boston.

• Sam Adams

• Cambridge

• Bearmoose

• Night Shift Brewing

Includes lunch and sampling 16 different types of beer I think it said. There's a shorter version (The Sip of Boston Tour) you can do as well. They're limited to 13 people and our tour on Saturday @ 11am was down to 7 after we booked. Looked like a fun way to get to a number of breweries. $99/person

Underground Donut Boston Downtown Tour - 2 hour walking downtown donut tour and sampling

A mix of history and donut eating, seemed like a fun idea. They have 9am and 12p times for their 2-hour walking tour that goes about 1.5 miles and has 5 stops on it. We're doing this Friday AM at 9am as our hotel is only about 1/2 mile from the start and finish (different spots). $40/person (a bit of an overpriced breakfast but looked fun).

We're then going to try and grab a Fenway tour on Thursday mid-morning and stop in at Atlantic Fish for a later lunch before heading up to the arena for the Thursday games.

Still working on Friday afternoon / evening but think we'll just save it for walking around during the day and may do one of the ghost tours or Ayslum Improv that night. Trying to fit La Famiglia Giorgio's in as well - may do so Friday or Saturday after the beer tour since the game isn't until 8pm. The ghost tour leaves at 6pm so would have to do a late dinner Friday if we tried for that.

I had to check out the Donut Tour. Haha, they literally give you the route and suggested donuts. The “famous Northside” spot HAS to be Mikes Pastries. Why not save the $40 and go do it yourself? You could buy a lot of :censored: donuts for $40.

And we’re at La Famiglia Friday at 6. If you’re there say hi. Yes yes, that’s like a Senior Citizen meal time but our friends live outside Boston, he works insane hours at Brigham Young hospital and so no late nights. I told my hubby we’d have an early dinner and then when they bag out we’ll hit the bars.

Travis-age 6

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Kelly Red wrote:

JWG wrote:

• Sam Adams

• Cambridge

• Bearmoose

• Night Shift Brewing

I had to check out the Donut Tour. Haha, they literally give you the route and suggested donuts. The “famous Northside” spot HAS to be Mikes Pastries. Why not save the $40 and go do it yourself? You could buy a lot of :censored: donuts for $40.

And we’re at La Famiglia Friday at 6. If you’re there say hi. Yes yes, that’s like a Senior Citizen meal time but our friends live outside Boston, he works insane hours at Brigham Young hospital and so no late nights. I told my hubby we’d have an early dinner and then when they bag out we’ll hit the bars.

I get lazy on vacation and like to have people do stuff for me LoL - plus I figure I'm helping keep someone employed by having them walk us around. Probably some BC/BU kid :D I'm also hoping the drop a bit of history knowledge on us during the walk, we'll see.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

I’d suggest you pay me the $40@ and I’d walk you around but I’m lazy too. And in spite the fact I have a History degree, American History was my least favorite, so I’d just make :censored: up as I went along. I used to do that with my nephew all the time when he was little. I have an excellent poker face.

Travis-age 6

GO4
 GO4
(@go4)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 39

https://treehousebrew.com/

https://www.trilliumbrewing.com/

Those two should be on any beer lovers list.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7527

JWG wrote:

Kelly Red wrote:

JWG wrote:

• Sam Adams

• Cambridge

• Bearmoose

• Night Shift Brewing

I get lazy on vacation and like to have people do stuff for me LoL - plus I figure I'm helping keep someone employed by having them walk us around. Probably some BC/BU kid :D I'm also hoping the drop a bit of history knowledge on us during the walk, we'll see.

Maybe if you are lucky Kramer will be your tour guide. LoL

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Booked a Fenway Tour for 12p on Thursday and a lunch reservation at Atlantic Fish (it’s 1 mile down the road from Fenway and on the green line) at 1:45p. Figured we’d be done at about 3p and can make our way to the arena.

Ended up having a pretty busy trip.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Wanted to at least get a booking down so got one at citizenM across from the arena. Nothing special but seems it could get the job done.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Resurrecting for non-Gopher game discussion.

Guessing we'll see a few more of you rubes in Boston now... :D

Love we get two MN and two B1G teams into the Frozen Four and that we're guaranteed "a" MN team in the final.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

The Gopher land only travel package (overpriced) mentions a Sota Social, which is typically also open to not package folks (at least for football). It doesn't have any details yet, but imagine it will be before the Thursday semi and (if win) before the Saturday final. If anyone sees the details definitely post them and I'll look for them to firm them up as well.

NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 140

Nearly 1400 for that package without airfare or game tickets seems steep.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

JWG wrote:

Booked a Fenway Tour for 12p on Thursday and a lunch reservation at Atlantic Fish (it’s 1 mile down the road from Fenway and on the green line) at 1:45p. Figured we’d be done at about 3p and can make our way to the arena.

Ended up having a pretty busy trip.

I was looking forward to it when we booked and now that the Gophers are joining the party we are super excited!

Mrs. GE and I went to Atlantic Fish when we went to Boston for our 20th and really enjoyed it.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

OK. Do we need to set up a GPL gathering? Either pre-game someplace, or between games on Thursday?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

NYC Gopher fan wrote:

Nearly 1400 for that package without airfare or game tickets seems steep.

It's not good. Hotel should be ~$750 per person (assuming a $500 hotel, which isn't unrealistic near TD Garden). So, that extra $650 seems steep for a duck boat ride, some name tags and lanyards, and a pep rally.

Same was true for the Gopher bowl game. We stayed at the same hotel, paid separately for the pep rally and saved a LOT of money. Didn't get a name lanyard (oh well).

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Steve MN wrote:

OK. Do we need to set up a GPL gathering? Either pre-game someplace, or between games on Thursday?

There's no passing out between games so it'd have to be in arena for a chat. We're sitting in Loge 12 for the game, last row aisle.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5635
Post on old board: 16243

Steve MN wrote:

Might not be much time between games on Thursday. Games at 4 and 7:30.

Keep your stick on the ice...

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12567
Post on old board: 9626

Steve MN wrote:

Our plan is to be at the bar that is designated the "Gopher" bar before the game on Thursday and am also willing to meet between the games that day. IIRC in 2015, the Greatest Bar hosted the Whioux and Omaha with one downstairs and one upstairs. Providence and BU had each separate bars around the arena as well. It will be interesting which bars are involved this time around as a couple of them down by the arena ( The Fours and Sports Garden for sure) have since closed.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

frozen4champs wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

Our plan is to be at the bar that is designated the "Gopher" bar before the game on Thursday and am also willing to meet between the games that day. IIRC in 2015, the Greatest Bar hosted the Whioux and Omaha with one downstairs and one upstairs. Providence and BU had each separate bars around the arena as well. It will be interesting which bars are involved this time around as a couple of them down by the arena ( The Fours and Sports Garden for sure) have since closed.

I expect we will hear where the Gopher bar is very soon from UMAA and/or Gopher sports. We would do the same on Saturday (if we play) and maybe Thursday (coming from a 1:45p lunch). Thursday between has to be in arena.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

gator wrote:

Steve MN wrote:

Might not be much time between games on Thursday. Games at 4 and 7:30.

Should still be about an hour between games. Absolute minimum of about 50 minutes. They'll resurface the ice, give that at least a few minutes to dry, then the teams come out for warm-ups starting 38:00 before puck drop.

Doc Holliday
(@doc-holliday)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 120

Creative Charters is nice if you don't want to deal with any logistics.

If you're willing to look yourself, it definitely will cost a lot less.

I know many people that don't care & are willing to pay the extra money to not worry about it. I did it for football game to USC in 2011. It was nice to just get on a bus, be at the hotel, show up & go. But you are definitely paying for that planning.

gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

Creative Charters is doing 2 packages. 1 Wednesday departure and 1 Thursday. Staying at the Boston Plaza hotel.

I opted for Thursday. $925 per person. Good deal in my book. They are returning Sunday, however it'll be a flight to Milwaukee and a bus ride from there.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Our hotel and air (self-booked back in January) totaled about $3,000 for 4 nights. That's convenient Delta flights (leave at 1pm on Wednesday return at 8am on Sunday) and the Marriott Boston Long Wharf. Marriott is convenient to the Subway, easy walk across the street from faneuil hall marketplace, easy walk to the arena (1.3 miles or so). So, we're at ~$1,500 per person. Could have saved a bit more with crappy timed flights or less central hotels.

So, a $1,000 charter sounds amazing (especially given the land only Gopher deal is $1,400 per person).

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Hotel and airfare for two (one arriving Friday night) ~2,250. All direct flights, one way on JetBlue rest on Delta.

First three nights across the street from the arena, added a night near airport to fly back Monday AM.

NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden

I think we’re going to back out on price. Charter is a decent deal but the Milwaukee bus situation isn’t ideal so balanced out with all the other costs, it’s just a lot

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

JWG wrote:

Our hotel and air (self-booked back in January) totaled about $3,000 for 4 nights. That's convenient Delta flights (leave at 1pm on Wednesday return at 8am on Sunday) and the Marriott Boston Long Wharf. Marriott is convenient to the Subway, easy walk across the street from faneuil hall marketplace, easy walk to the arena (1.3 miles or so). So, we're at ~$1,500 per person. Could have saved a bit more with crappy timed flights or less central hotels.

So, a $1,000 charter sounds amazing (especially given the land only Gopher deal is $1,400 per person).

We are just down the road a bit at the Doubletree for the same general cost.

Leaving Wed mid afternoon and returning Sunday mid afternoon via Delta & flights were roughly $500 in November.

I can see not wanting to come via Milwaukee.....what a pia.

NYC Gopher fan
(@nyc-gopher-fan)
Lucia Level Golden

Greyeagle wrote:

JWG wrote:

We are just down the road a bit at the Doubletree for the same general cost.

Leaving Wed mid afternoon and returning Sunday mid afternoon via Delta & flights were roughly $500 in November.

I can see not wanting to come via Milwaukee.....what a pia.

Doubletree is a great location. I’ve stayed at nearly every hotel in downtown and Cambridge for work over the years, with my favorite ones the Copley sq/back bay hotels. But you can really walk everywhere. Had we booked six weeks ago I’m sure this would be affordable. Hard to arrange last minute like Tampa was years ago

Page 1 / 13