ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4706
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @zwak

5. Harper Lee

That didn't seem right, so I looked it up... it was Lee's neighbor and friend growing up.  (Yes, I know the name, but not putting it in here)

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2203

5) Truman Capote

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2399
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, March 7, 2024

Every answer will be a famous person or character with a first name that is also commonly used as a last name, like “Nelson Mandela” or “Jackson Pollock.”

1. Who, prior to embarking on a career in cable news, spent his teens working as a Ralph Lauren model and an intern at the CIA?

Anderson Cooper

2. Extravagantly celebrating your 22nd birthday became a popular tradition beginning in 2012, thanks to the hit song “22” by what then-22-year-old artist?

Taylor Swift

3. What character was portrayed on NBC by actor and dancer Alfonso Ribeiro from 1990 to 1996, and is currently portrayed on Peacock by actor and singer Olly Sholotan?

Carlton Banks
(On “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and “Bel-Air,” respectively)

4. Whose earliest film roles were in the 1993 movies “Joey Breaker” and “Coneheads,” although her reputation as the “Queen of the Indies” didn’t begin until her appearance in “Dazed and Confused” later that year?

Parker Posey

5. What famed Southern writer was the inspiration for the character Dill Harris, the neighbor boy who helps Scout and Jem try to lure Boo Radley out of his house, in “To Kill a Mockingbird”?

Truman Capote

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, March 8, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Meryl Streep has won Academy Awards for her acting performances in three different films. Name those three films for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. Actors Sydney Sweeney and Jacob Elordi have individually hosted episodes of “Saturday Night Live” this season. They both star in what HBO teen drama?

3. Baseball player Honus Wagner, race car driver Arie Luyendyk, an older iteration of KLM’s reward program for frequent customers, and a legendary ghost ship all share the same nickname. What is it?

4. In which U.S. state will you find the Green Mountains?

5. Today is March 8. On this day in 1971, boxer Joe Frazier retained his world heavyweight championship by winning a 15-round decision over what former champion at Madison Square Garden in New York City?

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1223

4. Vermont

5. Mohammed Ali

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10660
Post on old board: 21741

4.  The Flying Dutchman - if I recall correctly  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

2. Euphoria

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5222

1. Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice…

Can’t think of the third for the life of me. 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

1. Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice…

Can’t think of the third for the life of me. 

That would be Iron Lady.  

Travis-age 6

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7755
Post on old board: 35040

Saw this on Twitter, and wow, that is quite the question! 
3 men in MLB History have had 30 homers 40 Doubles and 40 Stolen bases in the same season....

I got one, couldn't even fathom a guess on the other two. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, March 8, 2024

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Meryl Streep has won Academy Awards for her acting performances in three different films. Name those three films for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

“Kramer vs. Kramer,” “Sophie’s Choice,” “The Iron Lady”

2. Actors Sydney Sweeney and Jacob Elordi have individually hosted episodes of “Saturday Night Live” this season. They both star in what HBO teen drama?

“Euphoria”

3. Baseball player Honus Wagner, race car driver Arie Luyendyk, an older iteration of KLM’s reward program for frequent customers, and a legendary ghost ship all share the same nickname. What is it?

The Flying Dutchman

4. In which U.S. state will you find the Green Mountains?

Vermont
(“Vermont” comes from the French for “Green Mountain”)

5. Today is March 8. On this day in 1971, boxer Joe Frazier retained his world heavyweight championship by winning a 15-round decision over what former champion at Madison Square Garden in New York City?

Muhammad Ali

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, March 11, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. It was revealed last month that Anya Taylor-Joy plays a surprise role alongside new cast members Christopher Walken and Austin Butler in what sequel film, currently in theaters?

2. Misty May-Treanor, Danielle Scott-Arruda, and Park Man-bok have all been inducted into the Hall of Fame for what sport, which was invented in 1895 at a YMCA in Holyoke, Massachusetts?

3. As you probably know, Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address four score and seven years after 1776. What year was that?

4. What website was the subject of a 2013 book called “The Everything Store”?

5. The Apollo 14 mission landed on the moon in February 1971. The commander of that mission was also the first American to travel into space, in 1961. Name him.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3:  1863

5: Alan Shepard

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

2.  Volleyball

4.  Amazon

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

1. Dune?

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2639
Post on old board: 7833

Posted by: @the-rube

Saw this on Twitter, and wow, that is quite the question! 
3 men in MLB History have had 30 homers 40 Doubles and 40 Stolen bases in the same season....

I got one, couldn't even fathom a guess on the other two. 

Not sure how thorough my research is, but…….

Alfonso Soriano (twice)

2B - HR - SB

51 - 39 - 41 (2002)

41 - 46 - 41 (2006)

Bobby Abreu

47 - 30 - 40 (2004)

Howard Johnson

41 - 36 - 41 (1989)

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, March 11, 2024

1. It was revealed last month that Anya Taylor-Joy plays a surprise role alongside new cast members Christopher Walken and Austin Butler in what sequel film, currently in theaters?

“Dune: Part Two”

2. Misty May-Treanor, Danielle Scott-Arruda, and Park Man-bok have all been inducted into the Hall of Fame for what sport, which was invented in 1895 at a YMCA in Holyoke, Massachusetts?

Volleyball

3. As you probably know, Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address four score and seven years after 1776. What year was that?

4. What website was the subject of a 2013 book called “The Everything Store”?

Amazon.com

5. The Apollo 14 mission landed on the moon in February 1971. The commander of that mission was also the first American to travel into space, in 1961. Name him.

Alan Shepard

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, March 12, 2024

1. The United States Bullion Depository is located next to what U.S. military post?

2. Film distribution company A24 announced an album called “Everyone's Getting Involved: A Tribute to Stop Making Sense,” featuring Miley Cyrus, girl in red, and The National covering songs from a 1984 album by what band?

3. How many syllables does the second line of a haiku typically have?

4. The palm of your hand consists of five bones. What are these bones called?

5. What Steven Spielberg movie — released June 20, 1975 — is considered by many to be the first-ever summer blockbuster?

ReplyQuote
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2005

5. Jaws

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

1.  Fort Knox

james bond GIF

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

2. The Talking Heads

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. 7

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

4) metacarpal 

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, March 12, 2024

1. The United States Bullion Depository is located next to what U.S. military post?

Fort Knox

2. Film distribution company A24 announced an album called “Everyone's Getting Involved: A Tribute to Stop Making Sense,” featuring Miley Cyrus, girl in red, and The National covering songs from a 1984 album by what band?

Talking Heads

3. How many syllables does the second line of a haiku typically have?

Seven

4. The palm of your hand consists of five bones. What are these bones called?

Metacarpals (or metacarpus)

5. What Steven Spielberg movie — released June 20, 1975 — is considered by many to be the first-ever summer blockbuster?

“Jaws”

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, March 13, 2024

1. Section 15.2.1 of the WBC Rules and Regulations states that milk beverages served to the judges must have “good color contrast definition,” “symmetrical design,” and a “glass-like sheen.” What does “WBC” stand for?

2. English musician Sophie Ellis-Bextor performed her 2001 hit “Murder on the Dance Floor” at the 2024 British Academy Film Awards, a nod to the song’s reentry into the mainstream following its use in what 2023 film starring Barry Keoghan?

3. Baloo the Bear originated in “The Jungle Book,” but resurfaced as a pilot in a 1990s cartoon. What was it called?

4. A Scottish author named Samuel Smiles wrote a book in 1859 whose title is now the name of an entire non-fiction genre, which sells roughly $10 billion in books every year. Its subtitle is “with Illustrations of Character and Conduct.” What is that book’s title?

5. The comedian Retta goes by her first name in part to avoid the connection with her aunt Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who was the president of what African nation from 2006 to 2018?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

I got badgered......er....skunked.....er same thing......I got nothing today.....

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greyeagle

I got badgered......er....skunked.....er same thing......I got nothing today.....

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

Me too!  I knew them all yesterday and today I got nothing.

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

3. Tale Spin

5. Liberia

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) World Barista Championship

2) Saltburn

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

Oh come on I’m answering #4…

Self-Help

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, March 13, 2024

1. Section 15.2.1 of the WBC Rules and Regulations states that milk beverages served to the judges must have “good color contrast definition,” “symmetrical design,” and a “glass-like sheen.” What does “WBC” stand for?

World Barista Championships

2. English musician Sophie Ellis-Bextor performed her 2001 hit “Murder on the Dance Floor” at the 2024 British Academy Film Awards, a nod to the song’s reentry into the mainstream following its use in what 2023 film starring Barry Keoghan?

“Saltburn”

3. Baloo the Bear originated in “The Jungle Book,” but resurfaced as a pilot in a 1990s cartoon. What was it called?

“TaleSpin”

4. A Scottish author named Samuel Smiles wrote a book in 1859 whose title is now the name of an entire non-fiction genre, which sells roughly $10 billion in books every year. Its subtitle is “with Illustrations of Character and Conduct.” What is that book’s title?

“Self-Help”

5. The comedian Retta goes by her first name in part to avoid the connection with her aunt Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who was the president of what African nation from 2006 to 2018?

Liberia

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, March 14, 2024

Happy Pi Day!: Today is Pi Day, the sweetest of the mathematical holidays. Let’s celebrate with five sweet questions.

Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. Nearly all processed sugar in the world is produced from either sugar beets or sugarcane. Which gives up more sugar worldwide: the beets or the cane?

2. A 2022 Variety article named 2005’s “Sugar, We’re Goin Down” as one of the “best emo songs of all time.” What band recorded that song?

3. Extraterrestrials Amethyst, Garnet, and Pearl are three of the Crystal Gems who defend our world in what GLAAD Media Award-winning animated series, created by Rebecca Sugar?

4. What composer is responsible for the piece “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy”?

5. After Gerald Ford lost his re-election campaign in 1976, his secretary of defense returned to private life, became a big-pharma CEO, and led the charge to legalize the controversial sugar substitute aspartame. Name that secretary of defense!

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

4. Tchaikovsky

ReplyQuote

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4506

2. Fall out Boy

ReplyQuote
Viking
(@viking)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 526

5. Donald Rumsfeld

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

3) Steven Universe

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, March 14, 2024

Happy Pi Day!: Today is Pi Day, the sweetest of the mathematical holidays. Let’s celebrate with five sweet questions.

1. Nearly all processed sugar in the world is produced from either sugar beets or sugarcane. Which gives up more sugar worldwide: the beets or the cane?

Cane
(80% to 20%)

2.  A 2022 Variety article named 2005’s “Sugar, We’re Goin Down” as one of the “best emo songs of all time.” What band recorded that song?

Fall Out Boy

3. Extraterrestrials Amethyst, Garnet, and Pearl are three of the Crystal Gems who defend our world in what GLAAD Media Award-winning animated series, created by Rebecca Sugar?

“Steven Universe”

4. What composer is responsible for the piece “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy”?

(Pyotr Ilyich) Tchaikovsky

5. After Gerald Ford lost his re-election campaign in 1976, his secretary of defense returned to private life, became a big-pharma CEO, and led the charge to legalize the controversial sugar substitute aspartame. Name that secretary of defense!

Donald Rumsfeld

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, March 15, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Of the five different agencies that collaborated to build the International Space Station, one was the European Space Agency, and the other four were single country entities. Name as many of those four countries as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

2. What Russian “symphonic fairy tale” features characters that are represented by different instruments of the orchestra, including a cat represented by the clarinet, the grandfather by a bassoon, the duck by an oboe, and the title characters by the strings and horns, respectively?

3. What peppery vegetable — usually eaten pickled or raw — gets its name from the Latin for “root”?

4. What Oscar-nominated 2012 movie took place primarily in a fictional region of Louisiana called “the Bathtub”?

5. Today is March 15. On this day in 1917, Tsar Nicholas II was forced to renounce his throne during the first phase of the Russian Revolution, ending the rule of what dynasty?

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2 Nutcracker Suite

5 Romanov

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

1. United States, Russia, Canada and Japan?

ReplyQuote

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

2) Peter and the Wolf

4) Beasts of the Southern Wild

Im going for a third answer since it’s after 7 pm.

3) radish

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Name the bands (thank you Twitter)

Bands

I got 10. 

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Without the answer key... pretty sure I'm at 11 and still puzzling on the last one.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

I just got 3rd row #3. Ugh. I don't have top row, 3rd. 2nd row 2nd (unless they are talking about a 70's band that lasted into the 80's and beyond...), and 4th row #3. 

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

That one is pretty easy in my opinion. 

Cinderella, Poison, Iron Maiden

Scorpions, Kiss, Europe

Ratt, Wasp, Def Leppard

Guns N Roses, Heart, Chicago

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

3/3 is the one I'm puzzling on.  Pretty sure I have the rest, and I'd say 2/2 is what you're thinking that started 70s

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

And, Karlsson steps in with 3/3 and... DUH, plus, I had 1/3 wrong, but yeah.

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Chicago (DUH!!!!!) and Iron Maiden. I should have known them both. I guess it's to the box for 2 minutes and feel shame. 

ReplyQuote
Page 93 / 100