219 Likes
75.5 K Views
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4676
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @the-rube

Chicago (DUH!!!!!) and Iron Maiden. I should have known them both. I guess it's to the box for 2 minutes and feel shame. 

Guess our team is down 5x3, cuz I'm right there in the box with you on Iron Maiden and Def Lepard

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10589
Post on old board: 21741

That’s a lot of bands I avoid. 😆

I had seen this earlier in the week, 1 / 3 was the one that stumped me. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2582
Post on old board: 7833

I wiffed on Iron Maiden and Chicago also.

And regarding Chicago, to quote @the-rube 

Daughter Reaction GIF

”Duh”

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5181

Def Leppard was hardest for me. I kept thinking “Ear Cat?! WTF?” But when my brain finally thought “Hearing Cat” and I noticed the hearing aid it clicked. 

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2187

Posted by: @the-rube

Name the bands (thank you Twitter)

-- attachment is not available --

I got 10. 

Bands from the 80s?  I was in college and into electronic dance music lol.  

What have I got? I got no snacks and I got no respect.
Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2381
Post on old board: 11850
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, March 15, 2024

1. Quit While You’re Ahead: Of the five different agencies that collaborated to build the International Space Station, one was the European Space Agency, and the other four were single country entities. Name as many of those four countries as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any wrong.

Canada, Japan, Russia, United States
(CSA, JAXA, Roscosmos, and NASA, respectively)

2. What Russian “symphonic fairy tale” features characters that are represented by different instruments of the orchestra, including a cat represented by the clarinet, the grandfather by a bassoon, the duck by an oboe, and the title characters by the strings and horns, respectively?

“Peter and the Wolf”

3. What peppery vegetable — usually eaten pickled or raw — gets its name from the Latin for “root”?

Radish
(“root” in Latin is “radix”)

4. What 2012 Oscar-nominated movie took place primarily in a fictional region of Louisiana called “the Bathtub”?

“Beasts of the Southern Wild”

5. Today is March 15. On this day in 1917, Tsar Nicholas II was forced to renounce his throne during the first phase of the Russian Revolution, ending the rule of what dynasty?

House of Romanov

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, March 18, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in tomorrow’s email. 

1. “American Dreams” is a prequel comic to what 2013 video game, which spawned a sequel that dropped in 2020 and a TV adaptation that dropped in 2023?

2. The Strait of Dover is the narrowest part of the English Channel. It separates England from what European country?

3. In filmmaking terms, what does it mean to “throw a lav” on somebody?

4. What is the surname of the French tennis player whose nickname was “the Crocodile”?

5. A 1973 recording of the song “Apache” is one of the most-sampled songs in hip-hop history. It was performed by an “incredible” band known for its use of hand percussion. Name that band!

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

2 France

3 wire a microphone

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1217

2. France

4. Lacoste

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

5. Incredible Bongo Band

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

1) The Last of Us  I loved the show, I like Pedro Pascal! 

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7699
Post on old board: 35040

Posted by: @karlsson

5. Incredible Bongo Band

Bongo Rock (their "other" hit) has been sampled over 600 times, too, per the google machine. 

As far as Apache goes, that has been sampled 775+ times. 

Worth watching, btw:

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Monday, March 18, 2024

1. “American Dreams” is a prequel comic to what 2013 video game, which spawned a sequel that dropped in 2020 and a TV adaptation that dropped in 2023?

“The Last of Us”

2. The Strait of Dover is the narrowest part of the English Channel. It separates England from what European country?

France

3. In filmmaking terms, what does it mean to “throw a lav” on somebody?

Put a microphone on them

4. What is the surname of the French tennis player whose nickname was “the Crocodile”?

Lacoste

5. A 1973 recording of the song “Apache” is one of the most-sampled songs in hip-hop history. It was performed by an “incredible” band known for its use of hand percussion. Name that band!

The Incredible Bongo Band

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Tuesday, March 19, 2024

1. Many consider the 1994 film “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein” to be the most faithful film adaptation of the novel. That movie was directed by Kenneth Branagh, who starred as Victor Frankenstein. What Oscar-winning actor played his monster?

2. There are three countries in South America that are considered to be part of the Guianas. Which of those three countries doesn't have a variation of the word “Guiana” in its name?

3. What state’s four-word tourism motto, conceived by an advertising firm in 1968, was originally meant to include a rotating fifth word, such as “History,” “Beach,” and “Mountain”?

4. In what war did the infamous fighter pilot known as the “Red Baron” fight?

5. “Firework,” “California Gurls,” and the titular “Teenage Dream” are three singles off a hit 2010 album by what musical artist?

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3.  Virginia (guess)

4.  WW1

He almost met his match!  

Charlie Brown Halloween GIF by Peanuts

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

2. Suriname

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

5: Katy Perry

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

1. Robert Deniro

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Tuesday, March 19, 2024

1. Many consider the 1994 film “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein” to be the most faithful film adaptation of the novel. That movie was directed by Kenneth Branagh, who starred as Victor Frankenstein. What Oscar-winning actor played his monster?

Robert De Niro

2. There are three countries in South America that are considered to be part of the Guianas. Which of those three countries doesn't have a variation of the word “Guiana” in its name?

Suriname

3. What state’s four-word tourism motto, conceived by an advertising firm in 1968, was originally meant to include a rotating fifth word, such as “History,” “Beach,” and “Mountain”?

Virginia
(“Virginia Is for Lovers”)

4. In what war did the infamous fighter pilot known as the “Red Baron” fight?

World War I

5. “Firework,” “California Gurls,” and the titular “Teenage Dream” are three singles off a hit 2010 album by what musical artist?

Katy Perry

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Wednesday, March 20, 2024

1. “Survivor,” “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” and “Shark Tank” are three shows created or produced by what British television producer and former chairman of MGM?

2. What product — invented in London in 1903 — became extremely popular in the ’70s when it adopted the marketing slogan “Get busy with the fizzy”?

3. “Grey's Anatomy” is set in Seattle. The original plan was to set it in what other major U.S. city — plans which were scrapped in order to avoid comparisons to the hit series “ER”?

4. Black Friday is celebrated the day after Thanksgiving. Cyber Monday is observed the Monday after Thanksgiving. What other commercial “holiday” is observed on the Saturday after Thanksgiving?

5. Saint Denis is known as the “Martyr of Paris.” What famous Parisian hill is home to a basilica built on the spot where he was beheaded?

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3. Chicago

5.  Montmarte (Sacre-Coeur)

ReplyQuote

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Small Business Saturday?

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

2) Sodastream!  I love mine 

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Wednesday, March 20, 2024

1. “Survivor,” “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” and “Shark Tank” are three shows created or produced by what British television producer and former chairman of MGM?

Mark Burnett

2. What product — invented in London in 1903 — became extremely popular in the ’70s when it adopted the marketing slogan “Get busy with the fizzy”?

SodaStream

3. “Grey's Anatomy” is set in Seattle. The original plan was to set it in what other major U.S. city — plans which were scrapped in order to avoid comparisons to the hit series “ER”?

Chicago

4. Black Friday is celebrated the day after Thanksgiving. Cyber Monday is observed the Monday after Thanksgiving. What other commercial “holiday” is observed on the Saturday after Thanksgiving?

Small Business Saturday

5. Saint Denis is known as the “Martyr of Paris.” What famous Parisian hill is home to a basilica built on the spot where he was beheaded?

Montmartre

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Theme Thursday, March 21, 2024

Food Blanks: Fill in the blanks in these five chain restaurant-related statements. And stay tuned for Junk Food trivia, coming next month!

Answers in tomorrow’s email.

1. The Georgia-based restaurant chain BLANK is so devoted to its mission to stay open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, that many communities consider it an unofficial barometer for the severity of incoming hurricanes.

2. Wyoming, Florida, and Oklahoma are the only states in the country with both Hardee’s and BLANK locations within their borders.

3. Roy Allen and Frank Wright teamed up to establish a chain of food and beverage stands around Lodi, California, in 1922. They called it BLANK.

4. In 2008, the hip hop group Das Racist rapped, “I’m at the Pizza Hut, I’m at the BLANK / I’m at the combination Pizza Hut and BLANK.”

5. In 1986, the Beastie Boys rapped, “We got determination, bass and highs / BLANK fries only come in one size.”

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

1 Waffle House

2 Carl's Jr

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

4. Taco Bell

5. White Castle

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3.  A&W

ReplyQuote

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5669
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @greyeagle

3.  A&W

Best Root Beer ever if you go to an actual A&W. Followed by 1919 from the keg only.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @zwak

2. Wyoming, Florida, and Oklahoma are the only states in the country with both Hardee’s and BLANK locations within their borders.

I looked this up out of curiosity... and there's no Carl's Jr. in Florida. Though only Wyoming and Oklahoma have both.  

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

I looked this up out of curiosity... and there's no Carl's Jr. in Florida. Though only Wyoming and Oklahoma have both.  

Incorrect.  As of 9 days ago, they do:

https://www.carlsjr.com/give-into-the-craving-carl-s-jr-announces-first-florida-restaurant-will-officially-open-on-march-1

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@steve-mn 

You must keep up with the fast food industries more than I... lol... j/k!!!

I'm hoping to find something different in Omaha that's not in the Cities next weekend for fast food. It just needs grilled cheese for 2/3 kids and the other kid, my wife and I can find something in the menu.

ReplyQuote
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

@steve-mn 

You must keep up with the fast food industries more than I... lol... j/k!!!

I'm hoping to find something different in Omaha that's not in the Cities next weekend for fast food. It just needs grilled cheese for 2/3 kids and the other kid, my wife and I can find something in the menu.

Nope, just use the google machine.   🤣  I hadn't heard anything about the new store until seeing your post and going digging, but figured it had to be Carl's Jr, being the same company/menu/etc, and nearly identical branding.

gator reacted
ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Thursday, March 21, 2024

Food Blanks: Fill in the blanks in these five chain restaurant-related statements. And stay tuned for Junk Food trivia, coming next month!

1. The Georgia-based restaurant chain BLANK is so devoted to its mission to stay open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, that many communities consider it an unofficial barometer for the severity of incoming hurricanes.

Waffle House
(it’s called the Waffle House Index, as in: If the Waffle House is closed, you know it’s bad)

Carl’s Jr.

3. Roy Allen and Frank Wright teamed up to establish a chain of food and beverage stands around Lodi, California, in 1922. They called it BLANK.

A&W

4. In 2008, the hip hop group Das Racist rapped, “I’m at the Pizza Hut, I’m at the BLANK / I’m at the combination Pizza Hut and BLANK.”

Taco Bell

5. In 1986, the Beastie Boys rapped, “We got determination, bass and highs / BLANK fries only come in one size.”

White Castle

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Friday, March 22, 2024

Five questions to wake up your noodle. Answers in Monday’s email. 

1. Only five artists have won both “Best New Artist” and “Album of the Year” in the same year. The years in which this happened are 1961, 1981, 1999, 2003, and 2020. Name as many of those winning musical artists as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any incorrect.

2. In the U.K. and Australia, sprinkles made from tiny, spherical balls of sugar are called “hundreds and thousands.” In the U.S., those sprinkles are known by their French name, which translates to “unequal.” Name that cake decoration.

3. In October of 1978, Cardinal Karol Wojtyła of Poland took what new title and name that he would hold until 2005?

4. What two alliterative, five-letter words are often paired as terms for the plants and animals of a particular region?

5. Today is March 22. On this day in 1934, the Augusta National Golf Club hosted the first Masters Tournament in which U.S. state?

ReplyQuote

Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

1. I think Christopher Cross is the 1981 answer

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

3.  Pope John Paul II

5. Georgia 

ReplyQuote
MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

4. Flora and fauna

5. Georgia

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

I can pinpoint that as the exact moment I stopped taking The Grammy's seriously.  

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

2. Nonpareils

ReplyQuote
MATT
 MATT
(@matt)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 223

1. 2020 - Billie Eilish

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

2) I had a friend who grew up in Australia.  They kept describing this treat called “fairy bread”, apparently de rigor at any kids birthday party. A slice of white bread, spread with butter and then completely covered with hundreds and thousands.  Then it’s cut into 4 triangles.  She said any party without fairy bread wasn’t a party.  So one time when we were drunk we made fairy bread.  It’s horrible!  The candy is hard, it falls off and gets everywhere and you might as well just eat a spoonful of sugar 🤢

Ahh, good memories.

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @kelly-red

2) I had a friend who grew up in Australia.  They kept describing this treat called “fairy bread”, apparently de rigor at any kids birthday party. A slice of white bread, spread with butter and then completely covered with hundreds and thousands.  Then it’s cut into 4 triangles.  She said any party without fairy bread wasn’t a party.  So one time when we were drunk we made fairy bread.  It’s horrible!  The candy is hard, it falls off and gets everywhere and you might as well just eat a spoonful of sugar 🤢

Ahh, good memories.

I know it's not part of the trivia question, but, if you completely cover it with cinnamon sugar... sign me up

ReplyQuote
Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @kelly-red

Ahh, good memories.

I know it's not part of the trivia question, but, if you completely cover it with cinnamon sugar... sign me up

Well now you’re talking about something delicious!  Fairy bread? Not so much.

Travis-age 6

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

chris kelly kriss kross GIF

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

@zwak 

Years ago, early 90's, my sister and I were watching some music award show on tv. They were going to commercial say up next Kris Kross, my did heard and said "I like Chris Cross" and sat down to watch as well. Both my sister and I were looking at each other and laughing. The show came on and Kris Kross performed. A little bit later my dad says something about Chris Cross and we told him he already performed. We told him is was the two kids with their clothes on backwards. He got all frustrated and went back to what he was doing. Still today, my sister and I tease my dad about Chris Cross... aka Kris Cross.

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Answers to Friday, March 22, 2024

1. Only five artists have won both “Best New Artist” and “Album of the Year” in the same year. The years in which this happened are 1961, 1981, 1999, 2003, and 2020. Name as many of those winning musical artists as you can for one point each. Zero points total if you get any incorrect.

Bob Newhart, Christopher Cross, Lauryn Hill, Norah Jones, Billie Eilish

2. In the U.K. and Australia, sprinkles made from tiny, spherical balls of sugar are called “hundreds and thousands.” In the U.S., those sprinkles are known by their French name, which translates to “unequal.” Name that cake decoration.

Nonpareils

3. In October of 1978, Cardinal Karol Wojtyła of Poland took what new title and name that he would hold until 2005?

Pope John Paul II

4. What two alliterative, five-letter words are often paired as terms for the plants and animals of a particular region?

Flora, fauna

5. Today is March 22. On this day in 1934, the Augusta National Golf Club hosted the first Masters Tournament in which U.S. state?

Georgia

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Topic starter  

Questions for
Monday, March 25, 2024

1. Regina King stars in a Netflix biopic about the first Black woman to be elected to the United States Congress. Name her!

2. What branch of physics deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and gets its name from the Greek for “heat” and “power”?

3. “A Letter to a Royal Academy about Farting” is the title of an essay written in 1781 while its author was living abroad as the U.S. ambassador to France. Name that author.

4. The 1998 spin-off album “Vincent LaGuardia Gambini Sings Just for You” features actor Joe Pesci performing as his character from what 1992 movie?

5. The pericardium is a sac in your body that contains what organ?

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7279
Post on old board: 10120

5. Heart

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7699
Post on old board: 35040

4. My Cousin Vinny

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Page 94 / 99