536 Posts
67 Users
5 Likes
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1277

https://twitter.com/Hockey_Robinson/status/1514961241344602112

So door is probably open for Nazar to go major junior if he doesn't like what happens when Mel Pearson leaves.

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/1511403391213219843?s=20&t=S56n9FwobbmKNz_lc2x6BA

Rand Pecknold (QU) will coach Team USA at next year's World Juniors, '22-'23. Pat Ferschweiler (WMU; Rochester) & Reid Cashman (Dartmouth; Red Wing) are the assistant coaches - both MN natives.

MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 515
Post on old board: 7714

Everyone does realize there are professionals all over the world who interview for various positions that don’t get it and they continue on in that position with solid results, right?

For someone to say that Hastings is in a no-win situation to interview or say he isn’t happy, everyone would be foolish not to look for a better opportunity in their lives and we don’t know what that may be. As much as some of you are frustrated that you don’t know the ins and outs of coaches at the D1 level, clearly Hastings has done well in Kato and everyone wants him to be there, but we don’t know all the details and it isn’t wrong for someone to at least explore options in their professional career. He has ZERO commitment to MSUM. Zero. He can write a blank check right now most likely, especially for a big name school. Maybe not a big name hockey school, but a big time university.

I can give you a million examples where someone interviews, doesn’t get the job and no one questions their commitment to their current job. People would be super naïeve to think otherwise and maybe they aren’t in a professional career but that’s the reality of it. He needs to do what is best for him and his family. For some, it’s staying put. For others it isn’t.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6974
Post on old board: 18942

????

Bad Scooter
(@bad-scooter)
Rep Pts: 2

<s>bearpaw28 wrote:</s>

While Hastings has built MSU-Mankato into a National Title contender (the past 5 years) & has the advantage of recruiting a decent number of MN born players to a home state team. Give a far superior school academically and networking after graduation (St Thomas) 5 years and the quality of players on their roster will be impressive, being a state of MN school clearly matters when it comes to recruiting, whether those on GPL are willing to acknowledge it or not, it’s a fact.☝️

Out of 22 players on the Mike Hastings/Mankato roster that beat the Gophers, not even half the players were from Minnesota.
While 8 were Minnesotan, 4 were Canadian, 2 from Florida, 2 from Colorado and one each from Germany, Ohio, Czech Republic, California, llinios and Michigan.
Guessing that being a “Minnesota School” wasn’t too important to the majority of THIS roster.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1207
Post on old board: 6912

<s>bearpaw28 wrote:</s>

While Hastings has built MSU-Mankato into a National Title contender (the past 5 years) & has the advantage of recruiting a decent number of MN born players to a home state team. Give a far superior school academically and networking after graduation (St Thomas) 5 years and the quality of players on their roster will be impressive, being a state of MN school clearly matters when it comes to recruiting, whether those on GPL are willing to acknowledge it or not, it’s a fact.☝️
Out of 22 players on the Mike Hastings/Mankato roster that beat the Gophers, not even half the players were from Minnesota.
While 8 were Minnesotan, 4 were Canadian, 2 from Florida, 2 from Colorado and one each from Germany, Ohio, Czech Republic, California, llinios and Michigan.
Guessing that being a “Minnesota School” wasn’t too important to the majority of THIS roster.

<p style="text-align: center;">

lol…I’m assuming you were formerly registered  but had to re-register due to the server change and that’s why this is your very 1ST post…in any event…Lutz, McNeely, Bourchart, Aamont, Sandelin, Mass.. all played in the National title game & were key contributors this season…all MN born  :good2:</p>

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Yeah he noted there were 8 on the team already.  Thanks?

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2537
Post on old board: 7833

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Any relation between this Strobel and the Gopher commit?

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Uncle

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12505
Post on old board: 9626

Terms of Strobel's exit--- It appears that if he gets another job other than a Head Coach he will have to pay the school 50k.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1516077382117044236/photo/1

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335
Topic starter  

Uhhh...

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1516148736128335877

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

Strip him of the Hobey immediately!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

McKay, 25, tested positive for ostarine (enobosarm) as the result of a sample collected out of competition on January 23, 2022. Ostarine is a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Anabolic Agents and prohibited at all times under the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing, the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee National Anti-Doping Policy, and the International Ice Hockey Federation Anti-Doping Regulations, all of which have adopted the World Anti-Doping Code (the Code) and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of the case, USADA received results from a WADA-accredited laboratory that a supplement product McKay was using prior to sample collection, which did not list ostarine on the Supplement Facts label, was contaminated with that substance at an amount consistent with the circumstances of ingestion and his positive test. The Code provides the opportunity for a substantial reduction in the otherwise applicable period of ineligibility in this circumstance.

McKay accepted a six-month period of ineligibility that began on April 14, 2022, the date he accepted this sanction. The athlete was also granted a three-day credit for a provisional suspension served from January 31, 2022 through February 2, 2022. In addition, McKay’s competitive results obtained on January 23, 2022, the date his positive sample was collected, have been disqualified, including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Waiting for Ciskie's and Little Sandy's twitter response...... :popcorn:

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 832
Post on old board: 5335
Topic starter  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article/hobey-baker-winner-dryden-mckay-discusses-suspension-for-banned-substance/

Reading the details here he and his lawyer gamed the system.  He should have been ineligible for the NCAA Tournament but they waited until the last possible day to accept the penalty which was after the season.

wow.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

Wow what in the world

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1207
Post on old board: 6912

:goodpost: Holy Snikkies ? :wacko:

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Huh

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Since he played for Kato, was it Geritol or another supplement for older aged people? :mail:

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2203
Post on old board: 6782

It's interesting in that in McKay's statement he says that it was a Vitamin D3 supplement and not this other supplement that is listed in that article.  It is not surprising as well that McKay and MSU did use every bit of time to keep him eligible to play the rest of the season.  I have no doubt that it was unintentional in it's use but the doping agency is known to throw the book at every athlete in a doping investigation.

Do I think this supplement helped him win all those games and the Hobey?  Nope.  I will say that I am surprised that MSU let him have his own supplements though.  MSU's strength and conditioning coach used to sell his own brand of whey protein so he knows the ins and outs of supplements.  I would imagine that going forward that there will be an approved list of supplements for the hockey team to take.  Though this would have been a moot point if it weren't for McKay being the alternative for Olympic competition.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I remember when Nate Schmidt got nailed for the same thing when he played for Vegas. He got 20 games.

MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden

So I am good giving the kids/adult and administration a pass on this because it apparently was unintentional. What I struggle with is gaming the system to stay eligible all season and then to win the Hobey, which is awarded to the NCAA hockey player who “exhibits strength of character both on and off the ice" and "contributes to the integrity of the team and displays outstanding skills in all phases of the game"

This situation is the exact opposite of this situation and I would say it about a Gopher player as well.

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 597
Post on old board: 14946

If this had happened to a Gopher player and he won the Hobey, there would be outrage over it. Guaranteed.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

The award is given to a player who exhibits character, integrity, and sportsmanship. If a Gopher player broke the rules and then hid it so he could finish the season I would advocate for them to lose the award and apologize. As McKay should do here.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

If this had happened to a Gopher player and he won the Hobey, there would be outrage over it. Guaranteed.

This obviously isn't why he should lose it (those reasons have already been spelled out) but I did think it almost immediately. Could you imagine Bruce? Good lord it would have been something to see.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3958
Post on old board: 9428

Apparently the positive effects wore off in the second intermission of the championship game…. :yahoo:

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1998

Apparently the positive effects wore off in the second intermission of the championship game…. :yahoo:

Roids played no part in the Kato/Gopher game as we only had a decent shot or two. But who knows if this had come out a month ago maybe everything plays out different with different seedings etc?

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3958
Post on old board: 9428

Roids played no part in the Kato/Gopher game as we only had a decent shot or two. But who knows if this had come out a month ago maybe everything plays out different with different seedings etc?

”roids” ??? Did you even read the story ?

wincav
(@wincav)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 241

So Michigan loses 9 players to the Pros.  A big hit to the team that was going to “win it all” this last season. Does anyone know who they have coming in next season to replace the “elite #1  draft picks” who mostly left? Trying to get a feel for next years Big10. I really like the Gophers potential.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

So Michigan loses 9 players to the Pros. A big hit to the team that was going to “win it all” this last season. Does anyone know who they have coming in next season to replace the “elite #1 draft picks” who mostly left? Trying to get a feel for next years Big10. I really like the Gophers potential.

Yes. Michigan Ice Hockey Announces 13-Member Signing Class - University of Michigan Athletics (mgoblue.com)

A very highly regarded class.

If i missed sarcasm, sorry

ScoobyDoo
(@scoobydoo)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 112
Post on old board: 14815

Dryden McKay cheated.

coondog
(@coondog)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 163

The McKay "doping" appears to be unintentional.

According to one article: "USADA also said that a supplement he’d taken was contaminated with ostarine, according to results from a World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited lab. It was at a level consistent “with the circumstances of ingestion and his positive test,” the USADA said, and the facts label on the supplement label didn’t list ostarine."

It certainly is contrary to those who think unproven supplements "can't hurt". He is fortunate that he kept his supplements to be sent in.

I think he got a raw deal. It does not rise to be a character issue. Six months seems plenty harsh. The financial consequences of sending in supplements for testing, legal representation are not trivial.

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

McKay may be getting a raw deal but there's no way a Gopher player would be given the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

I just talked with my boss, the MSU hockey donor, about this "scandal" as it were.  Like every article has said, the level of contamination was a grain of salt in a swimming pool.  Even if it was a kiddie pool that is so small there is no benefit to the person taking it.  The NCAA and MSU was made aware of this and they both cleared McKay to play.  So the last agency in the pool, pun intended, was the USADA and their due process of charging McKay worked in his favor to finish the season.  Much like he has out on the ice at times, a horseshoe was placed in an advantageous area to his benefit.

To his detriment though, his pro career will have a steep hill to climb now...as if he didn't have a hill to climb already with very little pro interest in his services.  Which is still interesting to me since Devon Levi, who won the Richter and is a Sabres prospect, is the exact same physical size as McKay.  So there is something that every pro scout sees that most college hockey fans and writers don't.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3925
Post on old board: 12555

The McKay “doping” appears to be unintentional. According to one article: “USADA also said that a supplement he’d taken was contaminated with ostarine, according to results from a World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited lab. It was at a level consistent “with the circumstances of ingestion and his positive test,” the USADA said, and the facts label on the supplement label didn’t list ostarine.” It certainly is contrary to those who think unproven supplements “can’t hurt”. He is fortunate that he kept his supplements to be sent in. I think he got a raw deal. It does not rise to be a character issue. Six months seems plenty harsh. The financial consequences of sending in supplements for testing, legal representation are not trivial.

Six months isn't harsh in the least considering the playing season doesn't start for 6 months.  The guy already was allowed to play through the end of the season despite knowing he had taken PEDs.  Seems like no penalty at all.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1998

He was able to run out the clock until the season was over, then serve his suspension during the off season. That's about as good an outcome anyone could hope for.

HockeyBum
(@hockeybum)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 527

If anyone actually bothered to read the article, the McKay "doping scandal" is a non-story.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

If anyone actually bothered to read the article, the McKay “doping scandal” is a non-story.

I read the article and it said he was taking a supplement with Ostarine.

From WebMD

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1564/ostarine

Ostarine is a type of drug called a selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM). It's not approved by the FDA, but is sometimes found in supplements.

Ostarine attaches to proteins in the body known as androgen receptors. When ostarine binds to these receptors, it tells muscles to grow.

People use ostarine for athletic performance, involuntary weight loss due to illness, breast cancer, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.

Ostarine is an investigational drug and therefore not approved for any use by the US FDA. Despite this, it is still sometimes found in dietary supplements, particularly those marketed for bodybuilding. Ostarine, along with other SARMS, is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1165

If anyone actually bothered to read the article, the McKay “doping scandal” is a non-story.

I think the way it was handled was fair.  Has to be some consequence because there are always people that will find a way to get around the rules, but from all the evidence it seems like he was unaware.  And of all the positions in major sports where a banned substance probably wouldn't really help you anyway, it would be hockey goalie.

I'm a skeptic, so I always figure for every person that gets caught with PEDs there's a hundred that got away with it though.  People always finding ways to act like they were unaware but really knew what they were getting.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 372

It is miss leading to say that "it's like a grain of salt in a swimming pool". The USADA report never states how much was detected just that it was consistent with both samples meaning it came from that supplement. So it could be very small traces or 3mg, it doesn't say. and that's why its an issue.  That he's getting suspended it has to be an amount that's sufficient to have effects.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

It is miss leading to say that “it’s like a grain of salt in a swimming pool”. The USADA report never states how much was detected just that it was consistent with both samples meaning it came from that supplement. So it could be very small traces or 3mg, it doesn’t say. and that’s why its an issue. That he’s getting suspended it has to be an amount that’s sufficient to have effects.

Correct.  We weren't given information as to the quantity he consumed.  The way I read it was the levels in his sample were consistent with the levels in the supplement he ingested (given the quantities he consumed).  Meaning he wasn't also getting additional Ostarine from another source.  So they were confident the supplement he provided was the sole source.

As to whether or not it helped enhanced his performance....there is a reason he was taking this supplement that just happened to have an ingredient (SARM) that is often in supplements used by body builders.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I think Augie is going to be a pretty good hockey school in a few years. They are building it the right way. Great young coach, and building an arena right away. Plus, they have a deep pocket donor. With Raboin there, I can imagine that he will try to set up a series with the Gophers at some point, which selfishly will be an easy commute for me for that series in SF.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

Todd has a good overview on some of the potential rule changes that the NCAA may take a look at this off season.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1516452155300929542

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level

OT:

-Re-implement 5 on 5 OT, winner take all. Whatever you want to do after that, fine.

-Re-implement 20 minute OTs for tournaments like Beanpot

It's not hard, coaches. Just do it.

Also, yes, do this:

• Adopting the new NHL rule that a player is onside when the skate is above the blue line but not in contact with the ice.

Yes to this:

• Removing assessment of the penalty when a team scores during a delayed minor penalty. The college rules are an outlier in still imposing the penalty after a goal is scored.

Hard no to this:

• Allowing pucks that hit the netting above the glass at the end of rinks to remain in play as long as they've been shot from the offensive zone. That could prevent extra whistles but also could add a fascinating element of strategy in using the netting to set up possession behind the goal.

No to this:

• Approving shootouts to be used in non-conference games. The rules committee, however, doesn't have the power to decide how results from overtimes or shootouts are used in the Ratings Percentage Index and PairWise Rankings; that's up to the sport committees.

MNGophers29
(@mngophers29)
Micheletti Level Golden

Just posting as I needed to I click the box that emails me for every reply… :wacko:

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1708

Completely agree. There often can be a huge difference between headlines and what is actually reported. Context.. is king.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10477
Post on old board: 21741

Happy to read the coaches are looking at the faceoff rule.  This past season or two (at lest to me) it seems linesman have gotten a little power hungry when dropping the puck, I swear they have more false starts than the Vikings OL.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Happy to read the coaches are looking at the faceoff rule. This past season or two (at lest to me) it seems linesman have gotten a little power hungry when dropping the puck, I swear they have more false starts than the Vikings OL.

It's like when they call offsides...sometimes it seems like they enjoy being able to influence the flow of a game.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1951
Post on old board: 5631

Completely agree. There often can be a huge difference between headlines and what is actually reported. Context.. is king.

There's also usually a huge difference between the actual truth and the bullshit that spews out of someone's mouth when they get caught doing something illegal. Using a "supplement" that isn't on the NCAA's approved list, is hard to do accidentally

Page 2 / 11