Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7114

Yeah about time

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2050
Post on old board: 6782

Bee-boo-bop-bee-boo....Hello, is this Todd Knott? If I was MSU I would call up the other (pretend) MSU about their head recruiter associate head coach.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

ddillon22
(@ddillon22)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 196

I think it is good for us to have Michigan State a little better to maybe split recruiting up a bit for those who want to play for a Michigan school in the Big Ten.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 355

g-manpuck wrote:

Bee-boo-bop-bee-boo....Hello, is this Todd Knott? If I was MSU I would call up the other (pretend) MSU about their head recruiter associate head coach.

Why wouldn't they just call Hastings if they wanted to go that direction???

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1992

Hastings signed a 10 year contract

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

Chill Kessel wrote:

I didn't know he still has 5 years left on it. That's a little long for a buyout but I wouldn't be surprised if someone wanted to pay it a couple years down the road.

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1878
Post on old board: 5631

Chill Kessel wrote:

Imagine having a 10 year contract and still having to tell a high school senior that you might not be there by the time he gets to college

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mariucci Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 9798
Post on old board: 21741

J22 wrote:

Chill Kessel wrote:

Imagine having a 10 year contract and still having to tell a high school senior that you might not be there by the time he gets to college

:rim:

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 11937
Post on old board: 9626

OSU's 3rd leading scorer coming back.

[media] https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status/1514051844632363012 [/media]

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

[media] https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/1514288427008671749 [/media]

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

frozen4champs wrote:

He is an American treasure.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

If he lived in MN it would be a dream to have him as a color commentator for Gophers broadcasts after he retires from coaching

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1618

Greyeagle wrote:

frozen4champs wrote:

He is an American treasure.

He does a really nice job coaching Air Force too. Not the easiest school to recruit kids to, and they are generally competitive, but agree the dude needs a mic in front of him at all times.

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 821
Post on old board: 8405

Jerry York has announced his retirement after 38 seasons at BC.

Bonin21
(@bonin21)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1537
Post on old board: 17892

Most dominant program of ~2000-2015

Diesel Gopher
(@diesel-gopher)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 27

Bert wrote:

Last of the “old guard” of coaches in my opinion. Berenson, Parker, Lucia, Woog, Blais, the game is a lot different now, doubtful we see coaching longevity like these guys ever again.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1992

Bert wrote:

Wonder who they will look at to replace him. Dan Bylsma is in the AHL and previously played for York.

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 861
Post on old board: 11106

Fans of BU and other Boston area schools might think differently, but I always thought of him as one of the classiest if not the classiest coaches in college hockey. All the accolades he's received over his long career are well earned.

In the last 2 days, we've seen a firing, an extension, and now a retirement. We just need a resignation to complete the set.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

thinkbui wrote:

Fans of BU and other Boston area schools might think differently, but I always thought of him as one of the classiest if not the classiest coaches in college hockey. All the accolades he's received over his long career are well earned.

In the last 2 days, we've seen a firing, an extension, and now a retirement. We just need a resignation to complete the set.

Mel might just be able to complete your bingo card

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 507
Post on old board: 14946

J22 wrote:

Chill Kessel wrote:

lol... that's one of the better one liners that I have seen here in a while. :good2:

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

[media] https://twitter.com/NathanPStrauss/status/1514385115811618816 [/media]

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7374
Post on old board: 35040

Bert wrote:

Class act. Agree with the old school coaching.

Damn, that is a loss for BC.

Happy retirement, Coach. Sincerely.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4433
Post on old board: 10695

maroon_and_gold wrote:

thinkbui wrote:

Mel might just be able to complete your bingo card

In addition to "resignation" we need a "we're not going to renew the contract, even though the coach took our team to the Frozen Four"... THAT'S Mel's slot

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3824
Post on old board: 12555

Be careful what you ask for. Imagine Bill Muckalt as the UMI head coach….

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2416
Post on old board: 7833

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7374
Post on old board: 35040

I wouldn't leave for MSU. Boston...I might hear out.

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

If I were Michigan State I’d chuck a butt load of money at him

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6611
Post on old board: 18942

The Rube wrote:

And Mel was never gonna leave MTU. Wink

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1082
Post on old board: 6912

The Rube wrote:

Agree, compared to coaching MN State U (despite being in the CCHA) Michigan State is a step down, harder to recruit being the bottom team in a tough conference while Boston College is clearly a step up…

GoldyGopher81
(@goldygopher81)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 69

bearpaw28 wrote:

The Rube wrote:

Agree, compared to coaching MN State U (despite being in the CCHA) Michigan State is a step down, harder to recruit being the bottom team in a tough conference while Boston College is clearly a step up…

BU, not BC.

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

bearpaw28 wrote:

The Rube wrote:

That's crazy! Hastings developed that winning culture at Kato. Without him that program regresses. So to say that its a step down to go to B1G school that has more resources and budget is insane. Will Michigan State be winning right away and have a better record than Kato next year if that's the case, no. Though to say bussing all over the country to flying to every game is a step down, come on...

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1869

IIRC when tDon retired Hastings made it known he wasn't interested in the Gopher job. So why would he leave for MSU, especially now that he's developed a perennial contender?

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Interesting tidbit my boss told me this morning when discussing the open jobs in Boston. Hastings' son attends college at Northeastern. His daughter has already graduated from MSU here in Mankato. Like Vegoe said on the podcast, a buyout for either Boston team would be peanuts to them if they really wanted Hastings.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Saying going from Mankato (the one large fish in a pond mostly occupied by minnows) to MSU (definitely the worst team in the B1G overall, but it's still a B1G team with all that entails budget and prestige-wise) is somehow a step down is definitely insane.

If MSU really wanted to (I'd be shocked if they did, but they're big enough to pull it off if they wanted) they could make the MSU hockey budget roughly the same size as Mankato's total Athletic Department budget. That would be roughly 3x what the Gophers' hockey budget is (but that includes Women's hockey on the Gophers' budget as I recall the numbers) but it could be done. B1G schools have incredible resource availability compared to almost anyone else in College Hockey. (ASU/BC and the Ivies could probably match, not sure much of anyone else could)

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Norm wrote:

IIRC when tDon retired Hastings made it known he wasn't interested in the Gopher job. So why would he leave for MSU, especially now that he's developed a perennial contender?

Not saying he would, but to think that moving from Mankato to MSU, BU or BC is somehow a step down would be silly.

You may well be right that he has no desire to leave, but that was also several years ago, and now that he has developed the program into a true contender, maybe he might want to move on to another challenge and rebuild one of the programs that's historically been very good, but have fallen down recently.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1869

Steve MN wrote:

Norm wrote:

Not saying he would, but to think that moving from Mankato to MSU, BU or BC is somehow a step down would be silly.

You may well be right that he has no desire to leave, but that was also several years ago, and now that he has developed the program into a true contender, maybe he might want to move on to another challenge and rebuild one of the programs that's historically been very good, but have fallen down recently.

Just think, if we would have hired Hastings 4 years ago, Ben Meyers would just be coming in this fall instead of leaving for the pros.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6611
Post on old board: 18942

Saying going to MSU is a step down is hilarious.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2479
Post on old board: 15478

Um, yeah, Michigan State has a big-time history in college hockey, not least 3 national titles. They are also located in Michigan, a state not unlike Minnesota. Kids that don't go to Michigan would gladly go to State if the program is humming.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Yep. People forget that they’re a program of rich history, great resources in a great league (with far more money than Mankato) just because they’ve been so bad the past decade. They’re a sleeping giant by every sense of the term.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 986

streakygopher wrote:

Um, yeah, Michigan State has a big-time history in college hockey, not least 3 national titles. They are also located in Michigan, a state not unlike Minnesota. Kids that don't go to Michigan would gladly go to State if the program is humming.

The question is if Mike 1) cares that much about an increase in salary and 2) if he's comfortable possibly having to switch recruiting strategy.

Would he feel pressure at Mich St. to abandon having the oldest team in the country and to start bringing in younger players? He may have found the perfect place to use his strategy that has worked well for him. And Mankato is a pretty low pressure spot to coach - maybe he values that.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Idontknow wrote:

streakygopher wrote:

The question is if Mike 1) cares that much about an increase in salary and 2) if he's comfortable possibly having to switch recruiting strategy.

Would he feel pressure at Mich St. to abandon having the oldest team in the country and to start bringing in younger players? He may have found the perfect place to use his strategy that has worked well for him. And Mankato is a pretty low pressure spot to coach - maybe he values that.

That is an underrated part of it. If Hastings took a Gopher team that was first in the polls all year to the ship game and got handled like they did in the third he would be crucified alive by the fans. Instead at Mankato he’s being praised just for getting there.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1082
Post on old board: 6912

NorthernGopher218 wrote:

bearpaw28 wrote:

The Rube wrote:

That's crazy! Hastings developed that winning culture at Kato. Without him that program regresses. So to say that its a step down to go to B1G school that has more resources and budget is insane. Will Michigan State be winning right away and have a better record than Kato next year if that's the case, no. Though to say bussing all over the country to flying to every game is a step down, come on...

It’s just an opinion :D :crazy: Since winning the NCAA title in 2007 Michigan State.has been in relatively consistent decline & the formation of the Big Ten Conference hasn’t changed that trend. While Hastings has built MSU-Mankato into a National Title contender (the past 5 years) & has the advantage of recruiting a decent number of MN born players to a home state team. Give a far superior school academically and networking after graduation (St Thomas) 5 years and the quality of players on their roster will be impressive, being a state of MN school clearly matters when it comes to recruiting, whether those on GPL are willing to acknowledge it or not, it’s a fact.☝️ I’ve traveled to East Lansing, it’s a terrific ? school and better academically than Mankato, but actually living there (the actual city) is relatively comparable to Mankato Wink LoL The success Mankato’s had since realignment reminds of the old adage…better to rule in hell than serves in heaven (strictly hockey wise though) ??

Northern Gopher 218
(@northerngopher218)
Wooger Level

bearpaw28 wrote:

NorthernGopher218 wrote:

bearpaw28 wrote:

The Rube wrote:

It’s just an opinion :D :crazy: Since winning the NCAA title in 2007 Michigan State.has been in relatively consistent decline & the formation of the Big Ten Conference hasn’t changed that trend. While Hastings has built MSU-Mankato into a National Title contender (the past 5 years) & has the advantage of recruiting a decent number of MN born players to a home state team. Give a far superior school academically and networking after graduation (St Thomas) 5 years and the quality of players on their roster will be impressive, being a state of MN school clearly matters when it comes to recruiting, whether those on GPL are willing to acknowledge it or not, it’s a fact.☝️ I’ve traveled to East Lansing, it’s a terrific ? school and better academically than Mankato, but actually living there (the actual city) is relatively comparable to Mankato Wink LoL The success Mankato’s had since realignment reminds of the old adage…better to rule in hell than serves in heaven (strictly hockey wise though) ??

I guess if he isn't going to Denver, UMass and UMD it's a step down for him.

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level

Norm wrote:

Honestly, you can't take what coaches "make known" about any job too seriously. It is a no-win situation for them to say anything other than "I am happy where I am".

If they say they are interested in somewhere else but don't get the job, it simply causes negative vibes at their current situation that they remain at. Best to maintain the public attitude of "I am happy here" until you know you have the job.

And they reality is the Gophers were always going after Motzko above everybody else. Frankly, Hastings had burned some bridges when he left the U after only one season and I doubt that was totally forgotten. He knew his odds were more remote at the U (not saying that he isn't a good coach so nobody take this post out of context).

upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1892

Idontknow wrote:

streakygopher wrote:

I don’t think they’d push him to switch given he wins.

Hammy
(@hammy)
Micheletti Level

As for Michigan State, you put a good coach in that situation (with a B1G athletic department budget behind them) and it can definitely turn around.

I am not trying to dump on Mankato here but you are kidding yourself if you think having the tools of a B1G institution at your disposal (academics, finances, etc) is a step down. It will look that way in the present based on win/loss results... I will give you that. But a coach that has confidence in what he can do is going to have a vision beyond that.

And while we all love the state of hockey and the talent base here, it's not like the talent in the state of Michigan is chopped liver. Not to mention Chicago area and some good Canadian talent aren't too far away from East Lansing either.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Hammy wrote:

As for Michigan State, you put a good coach in that situation (with a B1G athletic department budget behind them) and it can definitely turn around.

I am not trying to dump on Mankato here but you are kidding yourself if you think having the tools of a B1G institution at your disposal (academics, finances, etc) is a step down. It will look that way in the present based on win/loss results... I will give you that. But a coach that has confidence in what he can do is going to have a vision beyond that.

And while we all love the state of hockey and the talent base here, it's not like the talent in the state of Michigan is chopped liver. Not to mention Chicago area and some good Canadian talent aren't too far away from East Lansing either.

Not like Hastings is using Minnesota talent to put him over the top here in Mankato. He is tapping the BCHL heavily here lately using a network of former MSU players to help him find those "late bloomers". So he wouldn't have to stay in Mankato to get the same recruits he has landed during his tenure.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Hammy wrote:

Sleeping (green) giant.

D2D
 D2D
(@d2d)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 476

Norm wrote:

Just think, if we would have hired Hastings 4 years ago, Ben Meyers would just be coming in this fall instead of leaving for the pros.

Yes, assuming Ben would have signed onto that path.

Page 1 / 11