746 Reactions
72 K Views
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13275
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

More motivation for the Knies, Cooley and Snuggy line.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7912

Comical really

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Correct me if I’m wrong but the list of nominees is a giant nothing burger right? Like Snuggy, Knies and Cooley can still win it?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Sounding like the list of nominees is final so no one on our top line is eligible to win the award. Seriously? What kind of bs is that?

Go Faber and LaCombe I guess

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

There's a dozen names on that list that wouldn't even dress for Minnesota 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

Sounding like the list of nominees is final so no one on our top line is eligible to win the award. Seriously? What kind of bs is that?

Go Faber and LaCombe I guess

That is absolutely ridiculous if true. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

IIRC, they cut the list to 10 from the original list. Fan voting makes up only a sliver on who wins it. (1 percent)

Head coaches of NCAA Division I schools nominate the top three players in their league and the top three players in the nation. College hockey fans can also vote online at this time—and fan voting can be an important factor in the balloting outcome. Price Waterhouse Coopers tabulates the votes and the top 10 candidates are announced.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Looks like if you’re left off the first list you are ineligible to win. Absurd. More motivation I guess. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2022-04-08/history-college-hockeys-hobey-baker-award?amp

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

What a giant whiff by the committee. I mean seriously, is Ralph Engelsted chairman of the Hobey committee? I can maybe get only taking one off that line because you wanna give other programs their moment in the sun but neither one of them even getting NOMINATED. Goodness that’s bad. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

The coaches create the initial list.  My thinking now is that those 3 split the votes among the coaches and knocked each other out. 

There are three steps involved in the award’s selection process. First, the head coaches of NCAA DI ice hockey schools nominate the top three players in their respective leagues and the top three players in the nation. College hockey fans can also participate by voting online during this step. Price Waterhouse Coopers accounting firm counts these votes and the top 10 finalists are announced.

Next, voting begins for the “Hobey Hat Trick,” which narrows the award field from ten finalists to three. The winner is then selected from this trio of players. The voting in this step of the process is by the Hobey Baker Memorial Award Selection Committee. The committee is “a geographically balanced group of 29 individuals representing print and electronic sports media, college hockey coaches and officials, and NHL scouts.” There is also a round of fan voting in this step of the process.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

The coaches create the initial list.  My thinking now is that those 3 split the votes among the coaches and knocked each other out. 

There are three steps involved in the award’s selection process. First, the head coaches of NCAA DI ice hockey schools nominate the top three players in their respective leagues and the top three players in the nation. College hockey fans can also participate by voting online during this step. Price Waterhouse Coopers accounting firm counts these votes and the top 10 finalists are announced.

Next, voting begins for the “Hobey Hat Trick,” which narrows the award field from ten finalists to three. The winner is then selected from this trio of players. The voting in this step of the process is by the Hobey Baker Memorial Award Selection Committee. The committee is “a geographically balanced group of 29 individuals representing print and electronic sports media, college hockey coaches and officials, and NHL scouts.” There is also a round of fan voting in this step of the process.

I definitely think there is something to the fact that they all "cannibalized" each other with voting.

Well, just logged in and voted for Faber. I will vote for Lacombe tomorrow. Hopefully one of them makes a run!

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2402

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

I definitely think there is something to the fact that they all "cannibalized" each other with voting.

Well, just logged in and voted for Faber. I will vote for Lacombe tomorrow. Hopefully one of them makes a run!

Ahh, the conundrum of competing actors from the same film at academy award ceremonies. ? Studios contort themselves into knots to avoid this situation.  I guess Hobeys the same way and now they’ve split the voting, they don’t even get the honor just to be nominated.

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

More motivation for the Knies, Cooley and Snuggy line.

The coach of ASU called this line the best college hockey line he's ever seen...no Hobey candidates though. ? 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

Posted by: @j22

There's a dozen names on that list that wouldn't even dress for Minnesota 

At least one who figured that out and ran east before even trying.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertogliat reacted

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4509
Post on old board: 12555

Those two are 17th and 18th in the nation for PPG and both Freshman.....?

Just reaching.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Snuggy and Cooley are both Top 10 for total points and there are other Fr in the list. Given how many we're named....

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8136

Come the end of the season this is going to look even more foolish. The past few weeks there has been some leveling off from Snuggy although at some point he will get his second wind but my prediction is Cooley has become take off and look out.

Knies may not draw as much attention from some people since he isn't as flashy (although the short handed goal against Notre Dame sure was) but teams who play against him (if they don't already know) quickly find out that he is a great player. Obviously awards like the Hobey often focus around goals/points but Knies is a complete player.

BTW, eight of the top 10 scorers are freshmen and sophomores 4 of each. The days of giving it to an upper classmen IMO should be over but then again nobody who decides this asked for my opinion. ?  

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

Vote For Hobey 2023 – Nominees

I don't care about the fan voting, but how did they leave off Cooley and Snuggerud?

I counted 82 guys. Yep Cooley, Knies, and Snuggy clearly aren't Top 82. ? 

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

Yeah, it's mostly a marketing thing.  It was fun when we basically went to war with RIT or RPI 15 or so years ago, but in the end it's essentially just a tiebreaker.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

I don't care about the fan voting, but how did they leave off Cooley and Snuggerud?

I counted 82 guys. Yep Cooley, Knies, and Snuggy clearly aren't Top 82. ? 

No no thinking any of those 3 are Top 82 is clearly homerish. 

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1392

Coaches nominate the players for the initial stage. Some coaches nominate as many players as they feel comfortable throwing out there. Motzko has never really gotten into why he would leave a guy off his nominations, but I'd just speculate that he is a little old school and wants the attention focused on guys who have made the biggest contribution to his program.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Whoever’s fault it is I still think it’s a huge swing and miss to have none of 89, 92, 81. Forget making the first cut. Not even being nominated? Idk just seems wild to me. 

Go Brock and Jackson!

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4200
Post on old board: 9428

So the giant list has no forwards from the team  tied for 4th in team scoring in the country including the players at 13th and 14th in scoring? 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

So the giant list has no forwards from the team  tied for 4th in team scoring in the country including the players at 13th and 14th in scoring? 

Apparently Bob didn't want to dilute the votes for Brock Faber Scissors or Jackson Lacombe by adding 2 other Gophers.  Great returning players deserve that.  By returning to play this year, when they could have signed pro contracts, I think they've earned that respect.

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2402

And the Hobey is supposed to be more than just numbers.  It’s class, community service, overall game.  I don’t think freshman have proven themselves just because they’re a good player, it’s being well rounded. 

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

Apparently Bob didn't want to dilute the votes for Brock Faber Scissors or Jackson Lacombe by adding 2 other Gophers.  Great returning players deserve that.  By returning to play this year, when they could have signed pro contracts, I think they've earned that respect.

I would include Knies in the players you listed and he should be in there. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

#2 Quinnipiac gets shut out 4-0 by Cornell who moves up to #11

Wisconsin shuts out Oho State 4-0 dropping them to #7

Penn loses 2-1 at home to Notre Dame dropping to #5 while the Irish move up to #13

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

6 of the 7 Big Ten teams are in the Top 14

Minnesota #1

Penn State #5

Ohio State #7

Michigan #8

Notre Dame #13

Michigan State #14

The Gophers are leading the Big Ten conference by 12 points over Penn State/Ohio State and they've  played the same amount of conference games.  

gator reacted

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @kelly-red

And the Hobey is supposed to be more than just numbers.  It’s class, community service, overall game.  I don’t think freshman have proven themselves just because they’re a good player, it’s being well rounded. 

Two freshmen have won the Hobey... Paul Kariya ('93) and Jack Eichel (2015). And if a % if it is based on class and community service, that alone should eliminate any UND player... lol!!!

Keep your stick on the ice...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Hockey East has one team in the Top 14

Boston University #6

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @gator

Two freshmen have won the Hobey... Paul Kariya ('93) and Jack Eichel (2015). And if a % if it is based on class and community service, that alone should eliminate any UND player... lol!!!

Sue players are known for their giving such as tossing out dinner ware, a kitchen table, and a lawn mower for anybody to have. ? 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/canadian-hockey-player-matt-frattin-dismissed-from-university-of-north-dakota

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

North Dakota wins the toilet bowl with UMD. Can’t say I hate seeing both of them miss the tournament this year?

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Hockey East has one team in the Top 14

Boston University #6

You would almost want to be 12 or higher in the pairwise to feel safe for the tourney. Atlantic Hockey will get a spot and every conference besides the BIG has a team or teams that can win their conference tourney and are currently on the outside of the tourney now. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

North Dakota wins the toilet bowl with UMD. Can’t say I hate seeing both of them miss the tournament this year?

UMDuh is fighting hard to stay Top 40. They are currently #37 seven spots below Wisconsin who is #30.

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1482
Post on old board: 6912

UMDuh is fighting hard to stay Top 40. They are currently #37 seven spots below Wisconsin who is #30.

lol…I’d take shots at my little bro to the North too… if they had won not one, not two, but three National Championships since 2011 while big bro is in the midst of a 20 year drought ☝️☝️☝️lol 

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

Posted by: @bearpaw28

lol…I’d take shots at my little bro to the North too… if they had won not one, not two, but three National Championships since 2011 while big bro is in the midst of a 20 year drought ☝️☝️☝️lol 

Thatll Do Shrek 2 GIF by PeacockTV

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Too bad the NIT hockey tournament idea isn't in play this season that way Duluth would have something to play for.

Although even if a NIT hockey tournament had 16 teams they would be missing that too.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Looking forward to scooping up Isaac Howard from the portal in the offseason?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Death, taxes, and the badgers winning just enough to keep Granato’s job

Rau4SkiUMah and Bigbeer reacted
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Brooks Level Golden

Duluth is awful this year.  Their fans deserve that.

gator reacted
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Not to pile on you personally but let’s not revel in UMD having a down year. We should be better than that. Respect. 

J22 reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

But on the other hand…

Fuck Them Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

gopher hockey fan 7, Bigbeer, Rau4SkiUMah and 2 people reacted

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Not to pile on you personally but let’s not revel in UMD having a down year. We should be better than that. Respect. 

Speak for yourself man LOL

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2123

Sue players are known for their giving such as tossing out dinner ware, a kitchen table, and a lawn mower for anybody to have. ? 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/canadian-hockey-player-matt-frattin-dismissed-from-university-of-north-dakota

And Danny Kristo sacrificed his toes for his community.

gator reacted
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7720
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @norm

Don’t forget Brandon Bochenski who tried to give away his money…..er, his fake money…?

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

Posted by: @cowgirl

Posted by: @norm

Don’t forget Brandon Bochenski who tried to give away his money…..er, his fake money…?

Hey, he’s the mayor now. That should check off the community box!

talking episode 11 GIF

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

But on the other hand…

Fuck Them Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Also a valid point….

J22 reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Why?  I keep being told they are a rival...spit on rivals whenever possible. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2669
Post on old board: 15478

I know a number of lifelong Duluthians who couldn't name a single player - on any of their championship teams.

The fanbase is full of posers, more likely tipping over a bonfire by 7 p.m. than settling in to watch the game. The first faint tinkling of bar glasses can be heard by mid afternoon from the most rundown hovel to the big house on the hill. By four, the coolers come out.

Leastwise, those are the people I know ? 

Page 14 / 44