2026-27 NCAA Hockey
 
Notifications
Clear all

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad


2026-27 NCAA Hockey

224 Posts
38 Users
157 Reactions
4,444 Views
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: coondog

The public perception I get is ASU is trying to CYA, and the family attorney (which I think is an ASU alum) is presenting exactly the CYA. Who knows, maybe ASU has demonstrated compassion, support, truth finding, and action. But it sure does not come across that way.

Great summary of the facts and reasonable inferences we have so far. I just wanted to add that I wouldn't put much stock into the family's attorney being an ASU alum. Maybe he only went to law school there? Arizona has two law schools total and in many smaller states basically all the practicing attorneys only come from 1-2 schools.

I personally feel nothing for the school I got my JD from, which seems to be a pretty common sentiment. If anything I actively dislike that place.


 
Posted : Sun. Sep 6, 2026 7:06 pm
coondog
(@coondog)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 82
Rep Pts: 217
 
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her
Quote: coondog

The public perception I get is ASU is trying to CYA, and the family attorney (which I think is an ASU alum) is presenting exactly the CYA. Who knows, maybe ASU has demonstrated compassion, support, truth finding, and action. But it sure does not come across that way.

Great summary of the facts and reasonable inferences we have so far. I just wanted to add that I wouldn't put much stock into the family's attorney being an ASU alum. Maybe he only went to law school there? Arizona has two law schools total and in many smaller states basically all the practicing attorneys only come from 1-2 schools.

I personally feel nothing for the school I got my JD from, which seems to be a pretty common sentiment. If anything I actively dislike that place.

FWIW, his undergrad degree was from ASU.  JD from DU..

And my wife and daughter both have similar feelings about their law schools  😀. 

 

 

Almost predictable that the following has come out: The patient’s attorney states - no acclimatization, no cold tubs, did not follow policy...

https://www.uscho.com/2026/09/05/report-asu-heat-policies-questioned-after-mayich-collapse

If they use a commonly used heat index chart, there are specific recommendations on the chart, which are easy to follow.....

Sadly, a member of Iowa’s marching band collapsed and died, and while not explicit, it is suggested it was heat-related.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football/article/iowa-band-member-dies-after-collapsing-suffering-sudden-cardiac-arrest-during-hawkeyes-win-over-northern-illinois-193420670.html

 


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 8, 2026 7:27 pm
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2025
 
Quote: g-manpuck

I really thought we have come a long way since Korey Stringer. 

I think most high level programs have figured out the precautions needed for practicing in hot conditions and know the danger. The problem is when you have cowboy trainers putting athletes in hazardous situations which is different than knowing to monitor for the risk.

I know people get upset with youth sports being cancelled for heat or air quality, but the reality is that there are a lot of people that don't know the danger or the SOP to operate in that environment.


 
Posted : Wed. Sep 9, 2026 11:26 am
coondog reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 
Quote: Eric Vegoe

I know people get upset with youth sports being cancelled for heat or air quality, but the reality is that there are a lot of people that don't know the danger or the SOP to operate in that environment.

 

This kind of piggybacks onto the recent incident in Iowa City with the band member passing away due to the heat on Saturday.  When my daughter was in summer marching band they had a "hell week" at the beginning of the season in June where they practiced 12-14 a day for five days straight regardless of the conditions.  Now they weren't denied water at any time but that practice was a lot for a bunch of rather un-athletic students.  When I got on the board, myself and a couple other parents brought in some health professionals and athletic trainers to draft a hot weather policy and practice policy.  

 

Some parents didn't understand but plenty of parents were appreciative to get a policy in place.  It was ridiculous for the UofI marching band to be in full uniform on Saturday while the conditions on the field were around 105 degrees.  It was crazy that the game wasn't delayed.  The high school games here in Mankato on Friday night were delayed by one hour because of the heat.  

 

I hope that this is the end of these incidents this year.  It's too many already.


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Wed. Sep 9, 2026 1:29 pm
coondog reacted
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 

More disgusting BS from Ann Arbor:  https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/09/09_16-Former-Hockey-Players-.php

And, I presume, the Gopher Basketball team will get another year NCAA suspension for academic violations back in the 90s.


 
Posted : Wed. Sep 9, 2026 10:03 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

What an upstanding institution. A bunch of “Michigan men” no doubt.


 
Posted : Wed. Sep 9, 2026 10:22 pm
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 

The response from the school is so bad lol, basically claiming it’s not their fault even though they hired the coaching staff responsible for letting this happen for roughly 2 decades. Not that I expect much but you’d think they’d at least pretend to be looking into it and showing concern rather than immediately denying culpability in the face of all evidence.


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 10, 2026 12:42 am
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: trixR4kids

The response from the school is so bad lol, basically claiming it’s not their fault even though they hired the coaching staff responsible for letting this happen for roughly 2 decades. Not that I expect much but you’d think they’d at least pretend to be looking into it and showing concern rather than immediately denying culpability in the face of all evidence.

Red's public statement in 2012 basically confessed two things:

image

(1) hazing was taking place during his tenure;

and

(2) coaching/program staff knew about those hazing activities

I'm actually shocked that Michigan would've ever made such a public admission and it seems like they didn't do much to walk back the statement, at that time. It nukes most of their potential legal defenses

 


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 10, 2026 2:28 pm
coondog
(@coondog)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 82
Rep Pts: 217
 

With a 2012 statement by Berenson makes me wonder if this culture extended well beyond 2001 and they only have plaintiffs up to 2001. And what does “tolerated” mean? 

This, on top of the alleged mistreatment of female staff by hockey coaches and director of hockey operations, the Steve Shields (and subsequent follow up investigations) and Stauss Mann getting forced off team for whistleblowing... doesnt look good for the Berenson era.

 


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 11, 2026 8:46 am
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: coondog

With a 2012 statement by Berenson makes me wonder if this culture extended well beyond 2001 and they only have plaintiffs up to 2001. And what does “tolerated” mean? 

This, on top of the alleged mistreatment of female staff by hockey coaches and director of hockey operations, the Steve Shields (and subsequent follow up investigations) and Stauss Mann getting forced off team for whistleblowing... doesnt look good for the Berenson era.

 

neither berenson nor pearson. i would suspect that given he made a statement in 2012, yeah there was still stuff going on. 

 

will be curious if they strip his name from Yost

 

hockey certainly has some culture issues but that this went on for this long is really concerning and I think similar to Fitz for NW, it's pretty brutal (though expunges from legal culpability) to "not know" that that's going on as a HC for that many years. It feels like far too many "specifics" and other incidents for this to be made up


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 11, 2026 10:26 am
coondog
(@coondog)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 82
Rep Pts: 217
 

So, including players, 40 -50 people (players, coaches, staff) max number as part of the program.

And players stating to “be a Michigan Man” and having ice time impacted if they complained?  

So either they condoned, turn a blind eye, did not understand the level, or was totally clueless.


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 11, 2026 5:44 pm
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

Lots of nervous hand wringing in Grand Forks😉

Nodak Fighting Canadians in jeopardy…

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/2099566356354027888?s=46&t=AvtsG2WfNuGRyXzbYJqB7g


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 6:14 pm



Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 

There are a LOT of teams that would be destroyed by that.


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 6:46 pm
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3600
Rep Pts: 9712
 

Have to imagine this would hit hockey and lacrosse hardest. Not a lot of ringette and bandy programs out there. 

Edit: I definitely read international as Canadian lol. That didn’t make sense to me so I read it again. 


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 6:53 pm
Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 1388
Rep Pts: 3432
 
Quote: Steve MN

There are a LOT of teams that would be destroyed by that.

Denver comes to mind. They're around 50% Canadian. I wouldn't say they'd be destroyed, but would have to significantly change recruiting.


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 7:17 pm
Hey_Sioux_Suck
(@hey_sioux_suck)
Micheletti Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 164
Rep Pts: 680
 

Two things that strike me…

 

1.) The politicians are from Michigan and Ohio.  Is this the first time Michigan and Ohio have come together on something?

2.) Michigan’s roster this season is 14 Canadians and 13 Americans.  
Don’t interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.  


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 7:35 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 

If only there were about a hundred billion things these dumbasses should be focused on rather than this

 

 ffs


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 9:42 pm
coondog and alignrock reacted
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

Somewhere up above the clouds, the Wooger and John Mariucci are together right now, smiling down at those Reps. and Sens. (and hopefully whispering in their ears to do the right thing for USA hockey)


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 14, 2026 10:19 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4566
Rep Pts: 11540
Post on old board: 18942
 

If it passes I can see it being challenged and overturned pretty easily.  

Any forum lawyers have thoughts?


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 2:07 am
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: Slap Shot

If it passes I can see it being challenged and overturned pretty easily.  

Any forum lawyers have thoughts?

non-citizens by definition don't get nearly as much rights and privileges. Congress also has a very powerful lever to pull with federal funding. This proposal would likely stand up to any legal challenges on the merits, it is not that much different from the various immigration/visa quotas that fluctuate constantly. Therefore, my take is that it's a political issue with a political resolution, not a legal/procedural one.


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 8:41 am
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her

Somewhere up above the clouds, the Wooger and John Mariucci are together right now, smiling down at those Reps. and Sens. (and hopefully whispering in their ears to do the right thing for USA hockey)

would it be the right thing for USA hockey? dilutes talent pool your best are playing against, Canada goes back to developing their kids via CHL while the very best keep coming down if desired, and teams who utilize the Canadians to try be competive get worse

 

Mankato has about 11 foreign born players. Augie also has 11. UND has 12.

 

I mean it would be hugely advantageous for a place like MN, but those talent pools are going to get ripped apart way more and none of those guys are now magically going to be world level competitors. Then add to it you've decreased places for US kids to play Jr at a higher level and I really see this at best as being net neutral for USA hockey while also decreasing the talent in the college game meaningfully, which stunts your guys developing there. 


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 10:05 am
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Joined: 24 years ago
Posts: 4813
Rep Pts: 14055
Post on old board: 21741
 

Historically MN has had a good mix of US/MN and OUS players on its roster.  If implemented methinks this change would lead to significant roster and recruiting chaos (even more than we see now) as teams chase a smaller pool of players.  


“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 10:15 am
upnorthkid reacted
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: Greyeagle

Historically MN has had a good mix of US/MN and OUS players on its roster.  If implemented methinks this change would lead to significant roster and recruiting chaos (even more than we see now) as teams chase a smaller pool of players.  

The dollar amounts thrown at the blue chip international kids would also go up astronomically, especially in bouncy ball


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 10:33 am
trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Brooks Level
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 2079
Rep Pts: 6309
Post on old board: 15139
 
Quote: upnorthkid
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her

Somewhere up above the clouds, the Wooger and John Mariucci are together right now, smiling down at those Reps. and Sens. (and hopefully whispering in their ears to do the right thing for USA hockey)

would it be the right thing for USA hockey? dilutes talent pool your best are playing against, Canada goes back to developing their kids via CHL while the very best keep coming down if desired, and teams who utilize the Canadians to try be competive get worse

 

Mankato has about 11 foreign born players. Augie also has 11. UND has 12.

 

I mean it would be hugely advantageous for a place like MN, but those talent pools are going to get ripped apart way more and none of those guys are now magically going to be world level competitors. Then add to it you've decreased places for US kids to play Jr at a higher level and I really see this at best as being net neutral for USA hockey while also decreasing the talent in the college game meaningfully, which stunts your guys developing there. 

The NCAA now is clearly the best developmental league for the NHL. It's why McKenna came to PSU, I kinda doubt they did this change with hockey in mind so IDK what the point is. I kinda doubt this affects basketabll or football a lot.


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 4:52 pm



upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: trixR4kids
Quote: upnorthkid
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her

Somewhere up above the clouds, the Wooger and John Mariucci are together right now, smiling down at those Reps. and Sens. (and hopefully whispering in their ears to do the right thing for USA hockey)

would it be the right thing for USA hockey? dilutes talent pool your best are playing against, Canada goes back to developing their kids via CHL while the very best keep coming down if desired, and teams who utilize the Canadians to try be competive get worse

 

Mankato has about 11 foreign born players. Augie also has 11. UND has 12.

 

I mean it would be hugely advantageous for a place like MN, but those talent pools are going to get ripped apart way more and none of those guys are now magically going to be world level competitors. Then add to it you've decreased places for US kids to play Jr at a higher level and I really see this at best as being net neutral for USA hockey while also decreasing the talent in the college game meaningfully, which stunts your guys developing there. 

The NCAA now is clearly the best developmental league for the NHL. It's why McKenna came to PSU, I kinda doubt they did this change with hockey in mind so IDK what the point is. I kinda doubt this affects basketabll or football a lot.

Yeah the very best do. More referring to tweener guys who basically are some of the only ways mid tier teams can stay competitive. How a lot of teams roster finishing would get hit a lot


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 5:49 pm
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 21 years ago
Posts: 4566
Rep Pts: 11540
Post on old board: 18942
 
Quote: upnorthkid
Quote: Greyeagle

Historically MN has had a good mix of US/MN and OUS players on its roster.  If implemented methinks this change would lead to significant roster and recruiting chaos (even more than we see now) as teams chase a smaller pool of players.  

The dollar amounts thrown at the blue chip international kids would also go up astronomically, especially in bouncy ball

Would it? What happens when supply exceeds demand - or at least in this scenario opportunity for an international player to land a roster spot? 


 
Posted : Tue. Sep 15, 2026 11:26 pm
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 

Wow!  Tom Serratore is retiring after this season.  Quite a run at Bemidji State!


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Wed. Sep 16, 2026 1:53 pm
Jankwi01
(@jankwi01)
Wooger Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 356
Rep Pts: 410
 

@g-manpuck That sarcasm?


 
Posted : Wed. Sep 16, 2026 3:34 pm
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 985
Rep Pts: 3035
Post on old board: 6069
 
Quote: g-manpuck

Wow!  Tom Serratore is retiring after this season.  Quite a run at Bemidji State!

I met him on a beach in Tampa in 2023 on an infamous Saturday morning.  Him and his family stopped to talk with me and my then girlfriend for about 10 minutes.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy and family.  All the best to him.


 
Posted : Wed. Sep 16, 2026 3:36 pm
Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 360
Rep Pts: 2025
 

https://twitter.com/evegoe/status/2100326129110249869

Bob said he had a K-2 and a King hit.


 
Posted : Wed. Sep 16, 2026 4:01 pm
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Joined: 20 years ago
Posts: 1351
Rep Pts: 3644
Post on old board: 6782
 
Quote: Jankwi01

@g-manpuck That sarcasm?

My mom taught me if I didn't have something nice to say...


I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

 
Posted : Wed. Sep 16, 2026 4:21 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

Here is the latest article from the Athletic about the ASU incident. They have opened it up for free to everyone.

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/2100534129737818250


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 6:40 am
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 

Obviously don’t have all the facts, but the article certainly does not reflect well on ASU from top to bottom


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 8:26 am
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: frozen 4 champs

Here is the latest article from the Athletic about the ASU incident. They have opened it up for free to everyone.

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/2100534129737818250

This is the exact kind of article I was waiting and hoping for. Finally some independent investigation where they spoke with the players, staff, and witnesses directly.

highlights that I think are legally significant:

image

 

image

(Kazan = Ziesel's defense attorney)


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 10:20 am
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

Sportsnet's story on Matthew Mayich.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/2100714810371649547


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 5:51 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: frozen 4 champs

Sportsnet's story on Matthew Mayich.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/2100714810371649547

Friedman is a very solid writer. Really moving story 


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 6:12 pm



Sunbone
(@sunbone)
Bonin Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 209
Rep Pts: 1034
Post on old board: 8761
 
Quote: frozen 4 champs

Here is the latest article from the Athletic about the ASU incident. They have opened it up for free to everyone.

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/2100534129737818250

Garbage coach and garbage program. I hope we never schedule these clowns again. 


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 7:06 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: Sunbone
Quote: frozen 4 champs

Here is the latest article from the Athletic about the ASU incident. They have opened it up for free to everyone.

Garbage coach and garbage program. I hope we never schedule these clowns again. 

so in the article: there's a passing remark about how the coaching community thinks of Powers as a good salesman, bad hockey tactician. And it also mentioned how he gets incredibly defensive about the latter.

Was very surprised to see the Athletic even allude to that basic fact. The writer was diplomatic about it, but he's a terrible hockey coach who's always been in way over his head, with far too big of an ego given what his resume actually looks like.

I know the article wasn't about on-ice stuff, but. Personally would've loved to see them go into lots of detail about his terrible W-L record vs. all the Minnesota schools, or how his teams constantly goon it up whenever they're playing on the road.

Like that huge line brawl up in Alaska (Anchorage?) a few years back, when Ness jumped out of the box to fight someone. Destroyed any scrap of respect I might've ever had for Powers as a coach.


 
Posted : Thu. Sep 17, 2026 10:03 pm
Sunbone reacted
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/09/18_Inside-at-ASU.php

Wodon follow-up to the Athletic piece. It's pretty neutral in tone. He also points out more potential interpretations and conflicting interests that might've affected how the Athletic / their sources presented certain key facts.


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 1:18 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/09/18_Inside-at-ASU.php

Wodon follow-up to the Athletic piece. It's pretty neutral in tone. He also points out more potential interpretations and conflicting interests that might've affected how the Athletic / their sources presented certain key facts.

I don't trust Wodon either. He has a history of only thinking his opinion is the right one. I think the courts will have to try to figure it out.


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 1:27 pm
Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Mariucci Level Golden
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 3348
Rep Pts: 7700
Post on old board: 10695
 
Quote: frozen 4 champs

I don't trust Wodon either. He has a history of only thinking his opinion is the right one

This does seem to be the pattern, yes.


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 1:43 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: frozen 4 champs
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2026/09/18_Inside-at-ASU.php

Wodon follow-up to the Athletic piece. It's pretty neutral in tone. He also points out more potential interpretations and conflicting interests that might've affected how the Athletic / their sources presented certain key facts.

I don't trust Wodon either. He has a history of only thinking his opinion is the right one. I think the courts will have to try to figure it out.

hey now. just because he's literally the only person who thinks having non-campus sites continues to be a great idea to "grow the game" doesn't mean he's always this way!


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 1:45 pm
trixR4kids, frozen 4 champs, TheBirdman and 3 people reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Mariucci Level
Joined: 12 years ago
Posts: 3600
Rep Pts: 9712
 

*cough*disingenuous*cough*


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 2:35 pm
coondog
(@coondog)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 82
Rep Pts: 217
 

Reading these articles makes me furious.  First of all ASU AD saying it is a review and not an investigation is a pure word choice, and the intent is to keep it “in house”.  

The messaging of “been in tougher work outs” misses the most important point--acclimatization.  Wooten states: According to an NCAA document on preventing catastrophic injuries, "It takes approximately seven to 10 days for the body to acclimatize to the physiologic and environmental stresses placed upon it at the start of a conditioning or practice period, especially during periods of warm or hot weather.”  Then a couple paragraphs later: "Again, whether any of those things violated ASU or NCAA standards, is still unclear.”  I think there is pretty strong testimony he had only been in Arizona a few days and certainly a couple of those must have been just moving in.  And getting back to the tough workout statements by players--- I doubt if any of those player understand Exercise related heat illness.   Heat illness can happen anywhere in August.  However, this was Arizona.    

IIRC there was a comment that this was not done under the supervision of the coaches, and also that Powers was there. Guess what, it is all done under the supervision of the head coach, even if he wasn’t there.  The head coach is the “CEO" of a corporation of about 40 “employees” (players plus staff).  it is that small. and you can be sure he was the one who hired Sir Tough guy to “toughen them up”.

On top of this, the “pussies” and Charmin references are purely immature. I could go on and on, but I do not see how he has his job, and at this point how the AD does.   

 

 

 

 

 


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 4:30 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: coondog

On top of this, the “pussies” and Charmin references are purely immature. I could go on and on, but I do not see how he has his job, and at this point how the AD does.   

 

The Athletic had this one anecdote where Powers mocked some of his guys who had left for the ECHL and WHL, and Powers said both leagues are a step down talent-wise compared to ASU.

If Powers said that right now it's laughable but sure I guess. If he said that when ASU was still independent, then Powers literally needs mental help.

Because the ECHL is definitely higher-quality puck than ASU's old routine of playing 35 games against the Alaska schools, Lindenwood, the bottom of ECAC + CCHA, literal club teams, plus a handful of charity games vs. 1 or 2 NCHC/HE/B1G teams. I think even Bemidji steamrolled them in past years 


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 5:09 pm
coondog
(@coondog)
Wooger Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 82
Rep Pts: 217
 
Quote: Walker? I Barely Know Her
Quote: coondog

On top of this, the “pussies” and Charmin references are purely immature. I could go on and on, but I do not see how he has his job, and at this point how the AD does.   

 

The Athletic had this one anecdote where Powers mocked some of his guys who had left for the ECHL and WHL, and Powers said both leagues are a step down talent-wise compared to ASU.

If Powers said that right now it's laughable but sure I guess. If he said that when ASU was still independent, then Powers literally needs mental help.

Because the ECHL is definitely higher-quality puck than ASU's old routine of playing 35 games against the Alaska schools, Lindenwood, the bottom of ECAC + CCHA, literal club teams, plus a handful of charity games vs. 1 or 2 NCHC/HE/B1G teams. I think even Bemidji steamrolled them in past years 

Even if they were a step down, it is a remarkable level of immaturity.  Also an interesting level of “insight” from a guy who was a club hockey goalie.   

Im thinking if my kid went there, Id either be having a meeting with the most senior person at ASU I could get in front of or bringing the Uhaul.

I also read where they said a water bottle was “available” and “not withheld”.

Now Sir Tough Guy is from a military background, so he claims. It is military doctrine for decades that acclimatization and following heat illness risk protocols are to be followed.  Those days of showing up in Biloxi and immediately being put through physically brutal programs are long long gone. The military protocols follow Wet Bulb Globe Temperature readings, which in this case we dont know because a significant component is related to the “black globe” temp of the turf/field, and those numbers have not been released.  However even the lowest estimated temp puts this day clearly within the heat category one level (and one does not mean no risk-- it is the first level of heat risk) and probably category two.  The level is one consideration and level of exertion is the second. I think everything points to the to be very heavy physical exertion -- meaning 20 minutes of activity and 40 minutes of rest every hour and a quart of water per hour.  if if is “heavy” exertion it is 40 minutes of activity and 3/4 of a quart.

Even granting ASU every benefit of the doubt on the environmental numbers, morning start, early day ambient heat, the structure of the workout itself, if it was one continuous grind rather than broken into monitored work/rest intervals, fails the standard regardless of what the thermometer said. And not giving those who finish later adequate time to rest and recover, well is beyond ignorance.

So several failure points. This is going to be one brutal discovery and deposition for ASU. From my perspective, considering the outcome, it should be.


 
Posted : Fri. Sep 18, 2026 6:23 pm
Walker? I Barely Know Her
(@walker-barely-know-her)
Broten Level
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1007
Rep Pts: 3884
 
Quote: coondog

So several failure points. This is going to be one brutal discovery and deposition for ASU. From my perspective, considering the outcome, it should be.

I kinda suspect ASU may be putting all of their efforts right now into negotiating a settlement asap w/ the Mayich family, rather than conducting any real investigation or cleaning house.

Not saying any of this is good, just talking about what their strategy might be. Could explain ASU's silence / inaction. A quick settlement will let ASU and Powers trade some cash for making all the uncomfortable in-depth scrutiny go away. Amount wouldn't break ASU or the men's hockey team financially.

Back of the napkin math plus what I've seen in practice: 1-2 years' worth of men's hockey operating expenses + a stipulation to not discuss this matter publicly, would be a plausible early offer from ASU.


 
Posted : Sat. Sep 19, 2026 6:24 pm
frozen 4 champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 22 years ago
Posts: 6413
Rep Pts: 18079
Post on old board: 9626
 

First USCHO poll of 26-27 season.

https://twitter.com/evegoe/status/2102087423660319007


Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
Not very objective

 
Posted : Mon. Sep 21, 2026 1:05 pm



maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mayasich Level
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4426
Rep Pts: 13184
 

14 is definitely fair. I think Anchorage is the only team we play this season that isn’t represented in this preseason poll.


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 21, 2026 1:16 pm
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Mayasich Level Golden
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 4081
Rep Pts: 12572
Topic starter
 
Quote: maroon and gold

14 is definitely fair. I think Anchorage is the only team we play this season that isn’t represented in this preseason poll.

Notre dame getting votes is an interesting one


 
Posted : Mon. Sep 21, 2026 1:34 pm
Page 3 / 5

Registered/Logged In users will not see this ad