bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1207
Post on old board: 6912

Posted by: @upnorthkid

Posted by: @j22

Posted by: @youngeagle

Amazingly, Auston Matthews is the only current player to notch two 60 plus goal seasons.

It’s shocking that between Ovie and Stammer they haven’t reached that more often.  

scoring in the NHL is up quite a bit the last 3-4 years. 

getting rid of the clutch and grab has really helped grow the game and is something that would also help the college game. 

The fact that goals & assists scored during 3x3 Overtime count as part of players stats hasn’t hurt either…

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2217

Posted by: @bearpaw28

Posted by: @j22

Amazingly, Auston Matthews is the only current player to notch two 60 plus goal seasons.

It’s shocking that between Ovie and Stammer they haven’t reached that more often.  

scoring in the NHL is up quite a bit the last 3-4 years. 

getting rid of the clutch and grab has really helped grow the game and is something that would also help the college game. 

The fact that goals & assists scored during 3x3 Overtime count as part of players stats hasn’t hurt either…

lol very fair point, though the rule change has only made games ending in OT go from 43.2% to 65.5% since 3v3 was started, which probably hasn’t been helped to the massive low attempts, high possession style that’s started now

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1230
Post on old board: 5547

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5152

Holy cow everyone you’re never going to believe this…

Mark Stone is healthy!

Must be something about the air in April. Really works wonders for that guy. 

trixR4kids, Rau4SkiUMah, MikeEruzione11 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2311

Posted by: @gopher6

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39915208/coyotes-relocate-salt-lake-city-part-nhl-plan

Yet another interesting aspect to the question, “what if Cooley had stayed one more year?” Would the Gophers be in the frozen four right now? Would it have impacted his desire to play for the Coyotes? At the end of the day he really wanted to be playing in the NHL so who knows how much this would have impacted his decision. But it’ll always make us wonder. 

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39915208/coyotes-relocate-salt-lake-city-part-nhl-plan

Yet another interesting aspect to the question, “what if Cooley had stayed one more year?” Would the Gophers be in the frozen four right now? Would it have impacted his desire to play for the Coyotes? At the end of the day he really wanted to be playing in the NHL so who knows how much this would have impacted his decision. But it’ll always make us wonder. 

Cooley has scored 20 goals and has 24 assists in 80 games and earned just shy of 1 million ($950,000)…so it’s pretty hard to argue he made the wrong decision.

ReplyQuote
gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

Cooley has scored 20 goals and has 24 assists in 80 games and earned just shy of 1 million ($950,000)…so it’s pretty hard to argue he made the wrong decision.

He was someone expected to be in the Calder running though. Definitely has had some growing pains. I think if he was drafted by an organization that wasn’t Arizona he would’ve come back. The Coyotes got a little desperate to fill a full roster. 

it would’ve cost him most of this years base salary, but he would’ve been THE guy on the team, and probably still signed tomorrow burning year 1 of his deal so FA status wouldn’t change. 

Either way it’s not like he could made a bad call. Both were completely viable options. 

ReplyQuote

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2599
Post on old board: 15478

I don't see the Calder contest as relevant. 44 points in 80 games without a bus ride is a win. He's still a young player with some maturing to do. He'll be a big deal.

It's hard to argue one way or another if the Gophers would be playing for a title. His tournament contributions last year were net negative.

ReplyQuote
gopher hockey fan 7
(@gopherhockeyfan7)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 155

Calder point is fair. Was just using it as a bar is all. With Bedard that hardly matters anyway. 

Not sure I’d call his tournament net negative last year though. Lost his cool a couple times, but he was still a dynamic player. I’d have loved him back. Him on the top line as center would’ve been better than Moore. 

all a moot point though. Just glad we had him last year. 

ReplyQuote
J22
 J22
(@j22)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1953
Post on old board: 5631

Cooley is 3rd among rookies in both points and goals. Not sure how much more in the running the kid needs to be?

ReplyQuote
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5152

Cooley was ready. Just because it took a minute to get going doesn’t mean he’d have been better served staying at the college level.

ReplyQuote
Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Oh yeah, I wasn’t trying to say he made the wrong decision just that this adds another layer to the “what if” so to speak. I would have loved for him to come back for another year but I completely understand why he wanted to make the leap. 

ReplyQuote
JAYMEDINC
(@jaymedinc)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 95

Maybe the Gophers would be playing tonight if he hadn't left? If I was going to be playing in the NHL for years, I think the $1mil could wait and I'd want that NCAA championship first. But then again, he isn't a Minnesotan, so it doesn't mean as much to him to win here. And I'm just living in a fantasy world and not reality anyway.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote
gopheritall
(@gopheritall)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 564

Posted by: @jaymedinc

Maybe the Gophers would be playing tonight if he hadn't left? If I was going to be playing in the NHL for years, I think the $1mil could wait and I'd want that NCAA championship first. But then again, he isn't a Minnesotan, so it doesn't mean as much to him to win here. And I'm just living in a fantasy world and not reality anyway.

There are a lot of reasons to go pro if you are ready. I was very surprised when he said he was coming back. I was disappointed when he flipped but understood.

If he had come back I think the Gophers would be playing still. 

Cowgirl reacted
ReplyQuote

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 751

This can go here.  The NHL is slated to buy the Coyotes for $1.2 billion and move them to Salt Lake.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12548
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Posted by: @orion

This can go here.  The NHL is slated to buy the Coyotes for $1.2 billion and move them to Salt Lake.

This has been quite the soap opera. Ownership has been a mess. The NHL really wants to have a team in the Phoenix area and at some point they want to return. Reports say the NHL will transfer the team to Ryan Smith, who is the Jan owner, for $1 billion and make a nice profit for being the middle man. A great podcast and YouTube channel to follow about this is PHNX Sports.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7669
Post on old board: 35040

Quebec is still basically begging for a team, but nope. 🙁 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 751

Crazy thing is they are already talking about the next expansion.  The clown show would give the current Coyotes owner first right of refusal on a franchise.  Phoenix and Atlanta are the two likely expansion cities.  

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6978
Post on old board: 18942

Phoenix and Atlanta?  Should the proper axiom for that prospect be, "if at first you don't succeed..." or, "the definition of insanity..."?

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7669
Post on old board: 35040

Oh man, I bet Omaha NE is drooling for an expansion team....

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5621
Post on old board: 16243

I’m in the camp of keeping the NHL at 32 teams.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

The Athletic article on the yotes ownership a few years back was a good read, just talked about how dysfunctional the org was because of it. Teams could succeed in either of those cities if they have competent ownership that isn’t solely looking to turn a profit while putting the cheapest and worst on-ice product one can offer. The league literally has a cap floor because of teams like the yotes that are hardly even trying to be competitive.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1230
Post on old board: 5547

I see the Stanley Cup finals as the Rangers vs the Oilers with the Oilers winning the Cup

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level

I see the Stanley Cup finals as the Rangers vs the Oilers with the Oilers winning the Cup

While I’d love to see the Oilers make the  Finals, I’ll go Avs vs Canes. 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

It was a crazy few minutes when I was flipping between Detroit v Montreal and Philly v Capitals. 

https://twitter.com/tsnjamesduthie/status/1780413414390612222

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7221
Post on old board: 10120

Posted by: @frozen4champs

It was a crazy few minutes when I was flipping between Detroit v Montreal and Philly v Capitals. 

They were talking about this in 93x this am, and it sounds like the flyers coach wasn’t informed that Detroit had won already when he decided to pull the goalie (I didn’t catch all the details and don’t know all the standings minutia right now so don’t know if the flyers winning would have kept them in or not). 

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @cowgirl

They were talking about this in 93x this am, and it sounds like the flyers coach wasn’t informed that Detroit had won already when he decided to pull the goalie (I didn’t catch all the details and don’t know all the standings minutia right now so don’t know if the flyers winning would have kept them in or not). 

It happened within a couple of minutes of each other, so I'm guessing Torts did not know that they were eliminated and that winning the game would not help them because of Detroit getting at least 1 point to get to OT.  I was hoping for a Flyers win as I'm not a Caps fan. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

yeah i'd imagine he didn't know, but still kind of crazy to pull him with 3 minutes left, made doubly confusing by the fact that he pulled him on a 3 on 3 (at best) rush attempt. even if you score early, caps can still pull the goalie back and you're going to likely be scored on at some point with the goalie out for 3 mins. don't blame him at all for pulling him but the timing is weird given it's entirely the same situation as the regular season. As a wings fan, was a painful way to go but for all complaining about the wings being out and caps in, just beat them when you play them or drop a pair against a shitty coyotes team in March and this isn't a conversation. Would've been a far more fun series probably between the wings and rangers than what we'll see from the caps, but the wings only have themselves to blame. 

would've been curious to know what torts would've done had he known (and maybe he did) that they were eliminated. 

ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

@upnorthkid It was a gamble for sure. Of all of the playoff teams in contention, they had the longest shot and had to have lots of things fall in their favor. Even if they would have won in regulation, and the teams above them lose, Pitt could have jumped over them tonight. They blew their chances after a horrible stretch of losses late in the year.

ReplyQuote
Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1137
Post on old board: 6069

yeah i'd imagine he didn't know, but still kind of crazy to pull him with 3 minutes left, made doubly confusing by the fact that he pulled him on a 3 on 3 (at best) rush attempt. even if you score early, caps can still pull the goalie back and you're going to likely be scored on at some point with the goalie out for 3 mins. don't blame him at all for pulling him but the timing is weird given it's entirely the same situation as the regular season. As a wings fan, was a painful way to go but for all complaining about the wings being out and caps in, just beat them when you play them or drop a pair against a shitty coyotes team in March and this isn't a conversation. Would've been a far more fun series probably between the wings and rangers than what we'll see from the caps, but the wings only have themselves to blame. 

would've been curious to know what torts would've done had he known (and maybe he did) that they were eliminated. 

Torts said after the game that if he knew Detroit scored, it wouldn’t have changed his decision anyways. 

ReplyQuote
upnorthkid
(@upnorthkid)
Broten Level

Posted by: @snowcool08

Torts said after the game that if he knew Detroit scored, it wouldn’t have changed his decision anyways. 

its what I’d figure, but in the moment you never know. Like had they flashed Detroit up 7-0 in house, does he just play it out knowing it’s over and you want to go out on a win? I’d probably still go for it as it’s “what you could control” but I’m sure will haunt red wings fans for awhile 

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3960
Post on old board: 9428

I see the NHL finally figured out how to schedule the playoffs for max engagement 

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Defense optional in Winnipeg 

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5621
Post on old board: 16243

Want to see the review that Toronto has for Winnipeg 5th goal. Because all the ones that were shown so far that puck never crossed the line.

Keep your stick on the ice...

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @gator

Want to see the review that Toronto has for Winnipeg 5th goal. Because all the ones that were shown so far that puck never crossed the line.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1782215578108715103

gator reacted
ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10504
Post on old board: 21741

Watching Parise railroad his way up and down the ice while successfully avoiding any back checking responsibility is painful.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Ullmark is putting on a goaltending clinic for Boston.  He was unreal doing the Toronna power play.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Whoa!  

Carolina turns the table in a HURRY!

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greyeagle

Whoa!  

The Islanders right now.

Sick Poison GIF by It

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

In a shocking development north dakota a**holes are doing north dakota a**hole things.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1782594823502868765

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Whoa!  

The Islanders right now.

Sick Poison GIF by It

Epic..

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1782595307760459844

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Gentzel scoring the EN game winner, taunting Nelson and then getting in a jab to the facemask…love it. He might not be a Gopher (stick boy count?) but we can claim him as Minnesotan right?

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
ReplyQuote

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Posted by: @bigbeer

Gentzel scoring the EN game winner, taunting Nelson and then getting in a jab to the facemask…love it. He might not be a Gopher (stick boy count?) but we can claim him as Minnesotan right?

When your dad is Mike Guentzel you’re an honorary gopher haha

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

I can see Palmiero acting out on the EN but don't see Nelson?

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Posted by: @slap-shot

Nelson was the player closest to Guentzel when he scored and followed him to the boards and gave him a couple of cross checks. That's when the other players came over. 

ReplyQuote
YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1709

Ullmark is putting on a goaltending clinic for Boston.  He was unreal doing the Toronna power play.

How about those Tronna Maple Leafs?? 😉 

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

Greyeagle reacted
ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Nelson was the player closest to Guentzel when he scored and followed him to the boards and gave him a couple of cross checks. That's when the other players came over. 

Nelson started wacking Guentzel after he got burned  in the race to the empty net and gave him a few more shots after he scored. 

I'm sure it was just hard nosed hockey. 

🙄

ReplyQuote
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

How about those Tronna Maple Leafs?? 😉 

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Twas a nice comeback and always good to see the B's lose.

Bold prediction:  Toronto will meet Vancouver in The Cup finals only to have Bettman cancel the finals for some stupid reason.  🤣 

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Ok. I couldn't see the name from my phone and thought it was Palmeiro doing the Ron Cherry.

ReplyQuote

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Ok. I couldn't see the name from my phone and thought it was Palmeiro doing the Ron Cherry.

He came in later, when they were along the boards.

The three goal lead is the new worst lead in hockey.  🤣 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5