58 Users
169 Likes
28.8 K Views
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

I hope this is a "kick-ass" pick and not a trade back. We'll see.

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3927
Post on old board: 12555

They deserve the idiot that was just interviewed with his first words “Let’s get paid.”

ReplyQuote
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1797
Post on old board: 8686

Posted by: @bertogliat

They deserve the idiot that was just interviewed with his first words “Let’s get paid.”

Definitely brings Randy Moss attitude vibes. 

ReplyQuote
Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

@bertogliat

worthless GIF

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7552

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

I get why people can/will be turned off by the phrase "Let's get paid" but it is the way the kids say lets get to work, ball out/produce, so we can get paid. Before saying it he said I'm ready to get to work and right after said we are going to score all night.

Beauner reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

I get why people can/will be turn off by the phrase "Let's get paid" but it is the way the kids say lets get to work, ball out/produce, so we can get paid.

I am more pissed that the Vikings picked a WR when they already have 2. They still need D players at every level including a CB1.  They need an RB so they can cut Dalvin.  We can always use a good OL.  But they go and pick the position they need the least.  And they do it with a weenie guy in a pink suit and white sunglasses whose first words are “Let’s get paid.”  Flashback to our former Prima Donna WRs who we had to trade away.

ReplyQuote

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3977
Post on old board: 9428

Addison going from LA to MN is apparently gonna be a bit harsh 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

He was in LA/USC for only his last year. He is originally from Maryland and went to college at Pittsburgh winning the award for the best D1 college WR while there in 2021.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

The city that wins the SB should get to host the draft make it happen 

The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7688
Post on old board: 35040

That's a decent idea. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4404

I get why people can/will be turn off by the phrase "Let's get paid" but it is the way the kids say lets get to work, ball out/produce, so we can get paid.

I am more pissed that the Vikings picked a WR when they already have 2. They still need D players at every level including a CB1.  They need an RB so they can cut Dalvin.  We can always use a good OL.  But they go and pick the position they need the least.  And they do it with a weenie guy in a pink suit and white sunglasses whose first words are “Let’s get paid.”  Flashback to our former Prima Donna WRs who we had to trade away.

Lol… wow is all I’ll say. Get off Bertgoliat’s lawn! Did you know who Jordan Addison was before tonight? ? 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Well, I mean, for Prima Donna WRs, Randy Moss worked out overall, in the big picture. And Stefon got MN JJ....just sayin. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

ReplyQuote
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7007
Post on old board: 18942

They need defense, but they also need a QB and WR.  Levis dropped for a reason, and if they can't get a franchise QB this draft the QB pool will be better next year anyway.  Still time to add defensive pieces, and RB can be had in later rounds and via FA. 

ReplyQuote

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @chris83

I hope this is a "kick-ass" pick and not a trade back. We'll see.

I was hoping at that point they'd go with Banks at CB, but time will tell how it all works out.

ReplyQuote
bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1212
Post on old board: 6912

At least Vikings didn’t trade down & take a nicked up safety & CB. ?

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4592
Post on old board: 28736

Yeah why would we want another Randy Moss or Stefon Diggs...this town is just so damned milquetoast.  

There is like 110000000 rounds left, I am sure they will be fine.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Yeah why would we want another Randy Moss or Stefon Diggs...this town is just so damned milquetoast.  

They only have 4 more picks.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3340
Post on old board: 30840

Drafting Jordan Addison makes a ton of sense. Is it a luxury pick? Yes. Absolutely it is. When Joey Porter Jr. was still on the board for us I fully expected him to be the pick. But he's a WR who was excellent (Biletnikoff Award winner excellent) in the slot at Pitt in 2021 and then went to USC and played a lot of outside WR and was excellent there as well. He is a smooth route runner and creates separation with his routes extremely well. Should be a great replacement for Thielen. We saw towards the end of the season (and especially in the playoff game) that teams basically paid 0 attention to Thielen and/or Osborne and would double/triple team JJ to keep him in check. If Addison is as good as he can be, they won't be able to triple JJ without getting torched by Addison and TJ. I like his prospects in the offense KOC runs quite a bit.

The draft is arguably the deepest CB draft in recent memory so I'm OK with them not addressing that spot in round 1 (especially because last year's second pick Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans will both be back and healthy and they signed Byron Murphy and Joejuan Williams) as well. 

They will likely be able to get a very quality CB in round 3, possibly without even having to move up given how much they slid down the board yesterday (Joey Porter Jr. was projected as high as 10 all week and is still on the board). JPJ, Kelee Ringo, Tyrique Stevenson, Julius Brents, DJ Turner, Terrell Smith (former Gopher), Cam Smith, Riley Moss, Clark Phillips, and Darius Rush will all potentially hear their names called tonight or early tomorrow. Maybe even more tbh. 

I would have been OK if they took a flyer on Will Levis from Kentucky but there's just something about the guy that seems off. I think it's telling that both Tampa Bay (Baker Mayfield) and New Orleans (Jameis Winston) both also need a potential franchise QB and neither one took him. Levis and Hendon Hooker both being available in round 2 was very unexpected. 

ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

Drafting Jordan Addison makes a ton of sense. Is it a luxury pick? Yes. Absolutely it is. When Joey Porter Jr. was still on the board for us I fully expected him to be the pick. But he's a WR who was excellent (Biletnikoff Award winner excellent) in the slot at Pitt in 2021 and then went to USC and played a lot of outside WR and was excellent there as well. He is a smooth route runner and creates separation with his routes extremely well. Should be a great replacement for Thielen. We saw towards the end of the season (and especially in the playoff game) that teams basically paid 0 attention to Thielen and/or Osborne and would double/triple team JJ to keep him in check. If Addison is as good as he can be, they won't be able to triple JJ without getting torched by Addison and TJ. I like his prospects in the offense KOC runs quite a bit.

The draft is arguably the deepest CB draft in recent memory so I'm OK with them not addressing that spot in round 1 (especially because last year's second pick Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans will both be back and healthy and they signed Byron Murphy and Joejuan Williams) as well. 

They will likely be able to get a very quality CB in round 3, possibly without even having to move up given how much they slid down the board yesterday (Joey Porter Jr. was projected as high as 10 all week and is still on the board). JPJ, Kelee Ringo, Tyrique Stevenson, Julius Brents, DJ Turner, Terrell Smith (former Gopher), Cam Smith, Riley Moss, Clark Phillips, and Darius Rush will all potentially hear their names called tonight or early tomorrow. Maybe even more tbh. 

I would have been OK if they took a flyer on Will Levis from Kentucky but there's just something about the guy that seems off. I think it's telling that both Tampa Bay (Baker Mayfield) and New Orleans (Jameis Winston) both also need a potential franchise QB and neither one took him. Levis and Hendon Hooker both being available in round 2 was very unexpected. 

The people who praise this WR pick seem to rely on Booth and Evans turning out to be starters (NFL caliber starters, not bad defense- someone has to play- starters).  I don't have time to research and track players like many other people do, but I don't recall these guys playing, even with the bad defense the Vikings threw out each week.  I see now Booth didn't play a snap on defense until week 10.  It looks like Evans played in 10 games and started only 2, but was in and out of the lineup all year.

Were these guys both injured early, or just not NFL caliber starters?  If they were in the line up due to lack of talent, are they legit starters now or are we in trouble?

And if we couldn't hit with these 2nd and 4th round CBs last year, why are we so confident we can get starting CBs in this years draft in rounds 3 and later?

And don't the Vikings need someone on D to pressure the QB?  The depth chart looks awful, especially when you consider Kendricks was cut, Harrison Smith is on the decline and Za'Darius asking to be released.

The defense was awful last year.  I am hopeful Byron Murphy is decent.

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @beauner

The people who praise this WR pick seem to rely on Booth and Evans turning out to be starters (NFL caliber starters, not bad defense- someone has to play- starters).  I don't have time to research and track players like many other people do, but I don't recall these guys playing, even with the bad defense the Vikings threw out each week.  I see now Booth didn't play a snap on defense until week 10.  It looks like Evans played in 10 games and started only 2, but was in and out of the lineup all year.

Were these guys both injured early, or just not NFL caliber starters?  If they were in the line up due to lack of talent, are they legit starters now or are we in trouble?

And if we couldn't hit with these 2nd and 4th round CBs last year, why are we so confident we can get starting CBs in this years draft in rounds 3 and later?

And don't the Vikings need someone on D to pressure the QB?  The depth chart looks awful, especially when you consider Kendricks was cut, Harrison Smith is on the decline and Za'Darius asking to be released.

The defense was awful last year.  I am hopeful Byron Murphy is decent.

Booth hurt his ankle in training camp/preseason IIRC and basically was held out for rehab until the Buffalo game, played Buffalo and Dallas game and I believe suffered a meniscus injury that landed him on IR the rest of the season.

I believe Evans injury that knocked him out for the year was a concussion suffered in the Jets game. He did look really solid in the playing time he saw, including the Buffalo game. I think he had a sprained ankle or something in game 3 that sat him out for a couple weeks as well. 

My guess is Flores has worked with them and feels like they'll be a viable fit for the defense he wants to run. Those two returning (if they can stay healthy) plus Cine's return from his gruesome injury should hopefully bolster the defense. Byron Murphy has shown to be a high quality CB so far in his career. The team also signed Joejuan Williams (CB from New England) and Marcus Davenport (he had a bad season last year but had 9 sacks in 11 games in 2011 and should help bolster the edge rushing spots.

The defense was admittedly TERRIBLE last season but I am a firm believer that Flores is the type of coach that can turn them around quickly. He's already stated multiple times that he's not a "We're running THIS defense and this defense only" type of coach. He is going to run a multiple-type defense based on the offense they play against each week and use the players on the team to put them in the best position to succeed. He has a track record of putting some very good defenses together. TBH my biggest concern is what they're planning to do at DT. They are pretty thin there behind Tonga and Phillips.

ReplyQuote

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @bigbeer

They only have 4 more picks.

For now...

I didn't watch the draft, dont know anything about the guy they drafted or who was available that was maybe a better fit and I would bet 99% of the people commenting on this around the state are in the same boat.  If he is a good WR then it is fine.  If he is a bit of a primadonna I can deal with it.  Unless there was a surefire OL or CB or whatever I dont see the big deal.  I am sure if there was someone that Flores really liked they would have drafted him but otherwise go best player on the board.  It isn't like WR came out of the blue...it came up on KFAN a lot they might go that way. (though QB seemed a better bet)

We will see...I think people worry way too much about the draft.

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5547

@handyman 

He won the Fred Biletnikoff award last season as college Footballs best receiver ?

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @gopher6

@handyman 

He won the Fred Biletnikoff award last season as college Footballs best receiver ?

He won it in 2021, his sophomore year. Jalin Hyatt from Tennessee won it last year.

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Honestly doesn't change my opinion much.  The guy he is replacing played at Mankato State and no one had heard of him even here.

If he is good it is a great pick, if he sucks he isn't.  What awards he won in college matter little to me cause he is no longer playing in college.

I hope KOC knows what his team needs and who will fit in.  

(I also hope we trade Dalvin Cook for picks...wont hold my breathe though 😉 )

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

The Giants shut down our passing game pretty well in the playoff game so if that was their reason for replacing Thielen it’s understandable. They certainly weren’t paying him 20 million either. 

I don’t see getting much for Cook with his high salary…just getting someone to take it would be the compensation. . 

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

In exchange for dealing No. 87 to the 49ers, the Vikings received the following selections:

Round 3, 102 overall

Round 5, 164 overall

Round 7, 222 overall

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Vikings select CB Mekhi Blackmon. He played most of his college career at Colorado before playing one season at USC.

ReplyQuote

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

The Vikings select CB Mekhi Blackmon. He played most of his college career at Colorado before playing one season at USC.

Had 15 PBUs and 3 INTs last season for USC and is supposed to be a very good tackler as well.

ReplyQuote
streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2610
Post on old board: 15478

In exchange for dealing No. 87 to the 49ers, the Vikings received the following selections:

Round 3, 102 overall

Round 5, 164 overall

Round 7, 222 overall

Huh, they must need some guys on the kicking team. 

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

That kind of trade, especially after the quote of "It's not how many picks you have..." leads me to believe that the Vikes wanted to throw 3 darts, instead of 1 dart.

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @streakygopher

Round 3, 102 overall

Round 5, 164 overall

Round 7, 222 overall

Huh, they must need some guys on the kicking team. 

The team getting the throw in 7th rounder is always getting the worst of the deal

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Viking trade 4th round pick (#119) to Kansas City for 4th round pick (#134) and 2024 5th round pick.

ReplyQuote
College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

The Vikings in the 4th round select safety Jay Ward LSU

Then trade up in the 5th round trading pick 158 and pick 211 for pick 141

With the pick select DT Jaquelin Roy LSU

Three of their four picks so far have been defense a CB, S and DT.

They currently have two picks left.

Overall they traded down twice (both times it was 15 picks lower) and traded up once (17 picks higher).

ReplyQuote
Zwak
 Zwak
(@zwak)
Broten Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 2375
Post on old board: 11850

Us old guys are wondering if Jay Ward’s nickname is either Rocky or Bullwinkle.  ?

Iceburg reacted
ReplyQuote

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12570
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1652387933394018305

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12570
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1652426560429867009

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 577

I don’t really get the point with the fifth round quarterback. To compete with the backup they picked up last year? They couldn’t add some more depth chances on defense in the fifth round? I just walk away from the Vikings draft year after year and get what they’re thinking for like 2 or three picks and the rest is a waste. 

ReplyQuote
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

It's a fifth round pick it's all about taking a flyer on someone. 

Steve MN and The Rube reacted
ReplyQuote
Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Could be the next Tom Bra……

I think QB in rd 5 is a throw away.  He can’t even play special teams.

ReplyQuote
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Now, the follow up question is: how many are superstars/known entities, but...

NFL

ReplyQuote
psych
(@psych)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 139

Isn’t that sort of misleading? Rounds 4-7 make up 57% of the draft, so 63% of the players being drafted in those rounds plus UDFA’s playing in the NFL sounds about right. 29% of the draft is the 2nd/3rd round, so 23% of the players coming from those rounds is fairly close. 14% of the draft is the 1st round, so 13% of the players in the NFL being from that round sounds right. Not everyone playing will be 1st round picks, or there would be what, 5 NFL teams?

I think taking a QB in the 5th round is a fantastic idea. If he doesn’t pan out, you wasted a low-level pick. If he does, you have a cheap rookie-deal QB at the most important position, maybe in all of sports, which allows a team to extend superstars like JJ, while having cap room to sign a high-priced FA or two.

ReplyQuote

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Agreed, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 

ReplyQuote
camo coat guy
(@camo-coat-guy)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 577

I’m gonna criticize the Vikings draft just because. When you’re a 13-4 team with basically the worst defense in football, and your division is growing their offenses I think you take risks with later round picks with defensive players because they need a lightning in a bottle player(s) on that side of the ball. 

ReplyQuote
Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

I’m fine with a mid round flyer on a QB but I was hoping it would be Jake Haener 

ReplyQuote
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I have no real issue with taking a shot on Hall. He's a really good athlete, has a strong arm, and has a lot of tools that could make him a decent developmental QB. His age was part of the reason he was available in the 5th round (he's 25 and still a "developmental" QB) but he's got the ability to run a bit-660ish yards rushing over the last couple seasons-and can extend plays with his feet when needed. If he was 21-22 years old with his tape and his athletic ability he probably would have been in the conversation for a day 2 pick instead of day 3. 

They also added the below for UDFA (so far). The names that stand out the most to me are Andre Carter and Ivan Pace. Pace is on the small side for an inside linebacker (5'10" and like 230lbs) but he is an explosive athlete. I had seen him listed anywhere between 4th and 6th round for draft projections based on his production. He was an All-American (in basically every publication) for Cincy along with #3 overall pick Will Anderson and #18 overall pick Jack Campbell. Seems like a guy who should be able to contribute on special teams immediately and potentially work his way into the rotation.

Andre Carter had 15.5 sacks in 2021 at Army as an edge rusher. He's 6'6" and 255-260lbs right now and could feasibly add more weight to stick as a DE or stay that weight and be a blitzing LB type in a 3-4 style defense. His poor testing at the combine likely doomed his draft stock, but 15.5 sacks in one season in college, particularly when they play a couple option teams that Army does, is impressive.

https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/1652465999684444162?s=20

ReplyQuote
Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden

Not current team related of course, but Joe Kapp has passed away at the age of at age 85. He was the QB on the '68 Central Division champs and the '69 NFL champs. Those two squads reeled me in and made me a fan of the Purple forever. Joe is my favorite Viking and that will never change. RIP.  ?

ad47bc6e1d386c9360f8044248d220cd

ReplyQuote
gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5547

Vikes go to Vegas Dec 11 host GB on New Year’s Eve 

Aloha!

ReplyQuote
gator
(@gator)