26.2 K Views
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3560
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

So obviously we’re all really happy we won the Pig. But I was flying yesterday and unable to watch the game. But going through social media and this thread it seems like prior to us winning on a crazy turn of events everyone was pretty fed up with the game, the team, and Fleck and his staff. Is that a fair assessment? Where do we go from here? Does this give us some momentum going forward or just enjoy the rare win over Iowa but know that this team is still probably not going to go very far? 

With PJ I feel like there are times where he gets a bit overly conservative and shows too much respect to Iowa’s defense (which admittedly is elite). Part of this is because the gopher offense is young and kinda lacks talent so I understand why this happens, but it’s still kinda frustrating because typically vs Iowa they make a few more plays than us in these games every year to eek out an ugly win. Last year being a good example. 

The bigger issue to me is the combination of Athan and the receiver talent being pretty mid which makes the offense very predictable and hard to watch. I assume Autman Bell is injured again because I don’t remember seeing him all year, Jackson and Crooms are alright and had some decent plays yesterday but aren’t all that consistent, haven’t seen much Brockington (he was solid last year). It’s not like having Bateman and Johnson, especially for the one game per year where CAB was healthy. Idk it just seems like recruiting has taken a step back from what we had in 2019 and I don’t know what it would take to get that back on track, I’m sure more NIL money wouldn’t hurt but it just seems like this program is nowhere near the elite NCAA teams when it comes to that. To me that’s the greater concern, that PJ has potentially peaked. But I think he deserves some leeway given the factors I just mentioned.

Brockington is out for the season. He got hurt in game 3 IIRC.

Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 877
Post on old board: 5335

Posted by: @beauner

Posted by: @trixr4kids

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

So obviously we’re all really happy we won the Pig. But I was flying yesterday and unable to watch the game. But going through social media and this thread it seems like prior to us winning on a crazy turn of events everyone was pretty fed up with the game, the team, and Fleck and his staff. Is that a fair assessment? Where do we go from here? Does this give us some momentum going forward or just enjoy the rare win over Iowa but know that this team is still probably not going to go very far? 

With PJ I feel like there are times where he gets a bit overly conservative and shows too much respect to Iowa’s defense (which admittedly is elite). Part of this is because the gopher offense is young and kinda lacks talent so I understand why this happens, but it’s still kinda frustrating because typically vs Iowa they make a few more plays than us in these games every year to eek out an ugly win. Last year being a good example. 

The bigger issue to me is the combination of Athan and the receiver talent being pretty mid which makes the offense very predictable and hard to watch. I assume Autman Bell is injured again because I don’t remember seeing him all year, Jackson and Crooms are alright and had some decent plays yesterday but aren’t all that consistent, haven’t seen much Brockington (he was solid last year). It’s not like having Bateman and Johnson, especially for the one game per year where CAB was healthy. Idk it just seems like recruiting has taken a step back from what we had in 2019 and I don’t know what it would take to get that back on track, I’m sure more NIL money wouldn’t hurt but it just seems like this program is nowhere near the elite NCAA teams when it comes to that. To me that’s the greater concern, that PJ has potentially peaked. But I think he deserves some leeway given the factors I just mentioned.

Brockington is out for the season. He got hurt in game 3 IIRC.

And Autman-Bell is still working back from last year's injury and did play yesterday. But he's the #3 right now at best. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

I think if we had our usual running game the receiver issue would solve itself.  The problem is our RBs are hurt and well, not elite. (yet...there is potential for sure)  This allows teams to not need to stack the box and dare Athan to throw against more DBs which also makes it tougher for WRs to get separation.  The offense is just not working in general...

And yeah saying PJ doesn't know how to play to win is ridiculous.  He is easily the best coach in my lifetime and there arent many that would stay at this job this long that would have as good of a record as he does.  Now if the team struggles again next year then it might be cause for concern but he gets a year reprieve after the nice run he had and the big wins he has brought us.

What's funny is before the season on Ghole fans were pretty much on the "7 wins" prediction but when pressed said they would take a bad season overall if we beat Iowa finally.  We did, and for the most part they are holding to it.  Hell if we beat Wisconsin again that would mean we beat them both for the first time since I was in friggin elementary school. (1990)

dxmnkd316 reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1870
Post on old board: 8686
Topic starter  

That was the ugliest prettiest win ever. 

Also, I wish Rob Wegner got as much PJ scrutiny as his other coordinators because he and our ST are terrible. 

They can’t field the ball. They can’t block on kicks or returns. They get negative yards anytime they try a return (which is so rare it’s like Hayley’s Comet). It’s embarrassing and shouldn’t be accepted. 

Ryan Burns is murdering them on the Iowa recap podcast. He’s not wrong calling them a HS unit (Kessich aside).

They really are disgraceful and it’s unacceptable we’ve kept this as ok for 7 years now. The only upside to that punt return having counted is the media would have finally lit PJ up for this.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4808

Posted by: @jwg

That was the ugliest prettiest win ever. 

Also, I wish Rob Wegner got as much PJ scrutiny as his other coordinators because he and our ST are terrible. 

They can’t field the ball. They can’t block on kicks or returns. They get negative yards anytime they try a return (which is so rare it’s like Hayley’s Comet). It’s embarrassing and shouldn’t be accepted. 

Ryan Burns is murdering them on the Iowa recap podcast. He’s not wrong calling them a HS unit (Kessich aside).

They really are disgraceful and it’s unacceptable we’ve kept this as ok for 7 years now. The only upside to that punt return having counted is the media would have finally lit PJ up for this.

I have been pounding the same drum. I think Ron Wenger has illicit photos of PJ. That’s the only logical reason for him to still be on the staff. It’s beyond atrocious and embarrassing each game. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

I think special teams just gets overlooked on a lot of teams even at the NFL level. It’s literally cost the Packers multiple playoff games over the years and yet they somehow remain bottom of the league in that area every single year despite coaching changes at that position.

For the gophers I agree that the ST coach should probably change, that’s a good place to start, but sometimes the problems run deeper than that. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8303
Post on old board: 35040

LOLOLOLOL this is brilliant!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1715883170741031314

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I guess you and I have different definitions of brilliant...

Slap Shot reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

I guess you and I have different definitions of brilliant...

Until the "that's just unheard of" part, the timing was pretty darn good with the over-dubbing. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

As far as Athan and the passing game goes, I said this last year here IIRC but his throwing motion is just a hair too slow. Makes the RPO much more difficult when you have the windup he does.

He's got more than enough arm talent to be a top 4-5 QB in the conference IMO. But when they run the RPO and his release allows the DL to get their hands up, LBs to take a step farther back in their drop and seal up the windows that would otherwise be there with a quicker release. Obviously this Gopher offense is tailored around the run game and the RPO but it feels like defenses, particularly on the second level, are getting to the passing lanes easier when they see Athan looking to throw on the quick slants etc. 

In Morgan's monster season (and granted he was aided by two exceptional WRs in Bateman and Johnson) it seemed like those RPO slants were an easy 8-10 yards whenever they wanted because his release was so quick the LBs didn't have a chance to drop into the passing lanes. Once you start hitting those, the safeties and CBs start creeping up and you can hit them with the sluggos over the top. It just feels like Athan hasn't gotten that rhythm down in-game yet, which is part of my biggest overall gripe with the way PJ runs the offense when the Gophers have a 3 score lead (like Northwestern this season, for example). They got the big lead against Northwestern and IMO that's the perfect time to try to get some more in-game reps against a real opponent on snaps that matter. Call a couple of those RPO slants, call a sluggo, let Athan get a feel for game speed with those plays against a real live opponent.

I know PJ doesn't want to run the score up but at some point you've gotta be willing to continue running your offense into the 4th quarter rather than just shutting it down and playing the clock game. 

dxmnkd316 and SkiUMahLaw reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2522
Post on old board: 6782

Okay...deep breath.

First, let me say this...I am NOT crying the blues over the loss or the outcome of the punt return call.  As far as losing there were 58 minutes of a football game for it not to come down to that punt return to get Iowa the win.  Iowa was bad offensively again and Minnesota did enough on defense to get this win. 

Eight yards of offense (*sorry, it was 2 yards) in the second half is NOT going to win a game...Iowa did everything they could to make sure they lost that game.  Deacon Hill is awful and he is making Spencer Petras look like an All American at this point.  He over threw or under threw passes to open receivers which would have made a difference in the game.  The running game was neutered to 51 yards gross and 11 yards net, Iowa's offensive line looked as bad as they did good the last two weeks.  Again, if Iowa did enough offensively they would have won the game by getting 20-25 yards to get themselves in FG range but Deacon Hill is awful and Brian Ferentz is awful.

Iowa's defense did enough to keep Iowa in the game.  The typical bend don't break philosophy did it's job by keeping the Gophers out of the endzone.  Iowa had it's first multi-sack game of the season I believe while the DB's didn't really impact the game like they needed to.  Again, the defense did their job but Iowa's offense couldn't do their part.

The play.  The final call made was the right call as the rules state.  I'm going to let the Twittersphere debate the arm waving thing.  Here is my ONE issue with the play and it comes from the quote that the head ref gave after the game,

“Going back to the play. The receiver makes a pointing gesture with his right hand and he makes multiple waving gestures with his left hand. If you look at the video, you’ll see that. That waving motion of the left hand constitutes an invalid fair catch signal. So, when the receiving team recovers the ball, by rule it becomes dead. So, that is a reviewable element of the game. We let the play run out and then when we went to review, review shows with indisputable evidence that there is a waving motion with the left hand. And that is when these rules are applied.

By the rules the play should have been blown dead as soon as DeJean touched the ball.  The refs didn't blow it dead.  My understanding is that both valid and invalid fair catch signals the play is blown dead as soon as the receiving team touches the ball.  If the refs KNEW that it was a invalid fair catch signal why didn't they blow it dead?  Why did they need review?  To see if they missed a call?  The crap that people are spewing on Twitter about how they were looking at if DeJean stepped out of bounds is just that...crap.  I was listening to the game and the Iowa sideline reporter talked with the sideline official about the review and he reported that the officials were looking at the fair catch signal...out of bounds wasn't even looked at.  So sour grape Iowa fans need to shut up about that. 

Iowa fans just need to move on.  Iowa lost.  Minnesota won.  Floyd is in Dinkytown.  Live with it Iowa.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Okay...deep breath.

First, let me say this...I am NOT crying the blues over the loss or the outcome of the punt return call.  As far as losing there were 58 minutes of a football game for it not to come down to that punt return to get Iowa the win.  Iowa was bad offensively again and Minnesota did enough on defense to get this win. 

Eight yards of offense in the second half is NOT going to win a game...Iowa did everything they could to make sure they lost that game.  Deacon Hill is awful and he is making Spencer Petras look like an All American at this point.  He over threw or under threw passes to open receivers which would have made a difference in the game.  The running game was neutered to 51 yards gross and 11 yards net, Iowa's offensive line looked as bad as they did good the last two weeks.  Again, if Iowa did enough offensively they would have won the game by getting 20-25 yards to get themselves in FG range but Deacon Hill is awful and Brian Ferentz is awful.

Iowa's defense did enough to keep Iowa in the game.  The typical bend don't break philosophy did it's job by keeping the Gophers out of the endzone.  Iowa had it's first multi-sack game of the season I believe while the DB's didn't really impact the game like they needed to.  Again, the defense did their job but Iowa's offense couldn't do their part.

The play.  The final call made was the right call as the rules state.  I'm going to let the Twittersphere debate the arm waving thing.  Here is my ONE issue with the play and it comes from the quote that the head ref gave after the game,

“Going back to the play. The receiver makes a pointing gesture with his right hand and he makes multiple waving gestures with his left hand. If you look at the video, you’ll see that. That waving motion of the left hand constitutes an invalid fair catch signal. So, when the receiving team recovers the ball, by rule it becomes dead. So, that is a reviewable element of the game. We let the play run out and then when we went to review, review shows with indisputable evidence that there is a waving motion with the left hand. And that is when these rules are applied.

By the rules the play should have been blown dead as soon as DeJean touched the ball.  The refs didn't blow it dead.  My understanding is that both valid and invalid fair catch signals the play is blown dead as soon as the receiving team touches the ball.  If the refs KNEW that it was a invalid fair catch signal why didn't they blow it dead?  Why did they need review?  To see if they missed a call?  The crap that people are spewing on Twitter about how they were looking at if DeJean stepped out of bounds is just that...crap.  I was listening to the game and the Iowa sideline reporter talked with the sideline official about the review and he reported that the officials were looking at the fair catch signal...out of bounds wasn't even looked at.  So sour grape Iowa fans need to shut up about that. 

Iowa fans just need to move on.  Iowa lost.  Minnesota won.  Floyd is in Dinkytown.  Live with it Iowa.

My assumption as to why they let the play run instead of immediately blowing it dead is that they wanted to make sure what they saw would constitute an invalid fair catch. He was certainly pointing with one hand and if they weren't 100% sure his other hand was waving around (for whatever reason) they know the ability to review the play is in their back pocket to confirm. 

As a football fan in general I'm much more in favor of "Let the play happen, then review it" than I am of the "We think this play is dead, so blow the whistle" and then replay clearly shows the play should have been live and there's nothing they can do to correct their missed call. Imagine DeJean starts that play by pointing with both hands and then as he starts going to the ball he moves his left arm toward his body and a referee sees that as a wave, even though he's just tucking his arm to run, and blows the play dead as soon as he picks it up but with the crowd noise the play continues and he scores, but ope the play was blown dead because the back judge thought his running motion was a wave.

dxmnkd316 reacted
Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11350
Post on old board: 21741

It seems comparable to a close offsides call, if they are not 100% sure linesmen have been letting play continue & if there is a goal they can circle back.  Pros and cons either way but it seems like a good way to manage the game.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1227
Post on old board: 6069

Also, if the officials on the field did not know to make the call and the video review ref did, isn’t that what they are there for? Their job is to make everything is correct. They have targeting calls that weren’t called on the field at all reviewed and overturned. 

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

What happens if DeJean gets tackled in five yards?  Do they waste the time to review it or let it go?  By the rule they should review it and move the ball back five yards. 

I bet your sweet bippy that most college programs special teams coaches are making this a point of emphasis this week in practice.  

And the use of review refs is getting ridiculous.  I couldn't believe how many plays went for review on Saturday.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

What happens if DeJean gets tackled in five yards?  Do they waste the time to review it or let it go?  By the rule they should review it and move the ball back five yards. 

I bet your sweet bippy that most college programs special teams coaches are making this a point of emphasis this week in practice.  

And the use of review refs is getting ridiculous.  I couldn't believe how many plays went for review on Saturday.

I saw in the UNC meltdown to UVA Saturday night that the UNC returner did the get-away signal then grabbed the ball and went 5-6 yards with it. No idea if they moved him back to where he picked it up or not because all the twitter clips ended after he was knocked out of bounds.

But I bet every officiating crew in the entire country got a nicely worded email this morning about that type of play.

As far as the reviews go, I mostly agree. It's been getting a little out of hand for a while. 

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1892

Okay...deep breath.

Eight yards of offense (*sorry, it was 2 yards) in the second half is NOT going to win a game...Iowa did everything they could to make sure they lost that game.  Deacon Hill is awful and he is making Spencer Petras look like an All American at this point.  He over threw or under threw passes to open receivers which would have made a difference in the game.  The running game was neutered to 51 yards gross and 11 yards net, Iowa's offensive line looked as bad as they did good the last two weeks.  Again, if Iowa did enough offensively they would have won the game by getting 20-25 yards to get themselves in FG range but Deacon Hill is awful and Brian Ferentz is awful.

The end of that game even after the called back punt return call was setting up to be a typical Iowa win vs Minnesota.  Execute complimentary defensive football with special teams pinning us down in our own end and getting the ball back only needing 20 yards for GW field goal.  How many times have they done that to the Gophers over the past decade?  IMO Iowa fans (as you point out) should be more upset about the terrible offensive line/QB play that led to the game sealing INT, as that truly cost them Floyd.  There is just no way Brian Ferentz should be coaching D1 football.  

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

In the UNC game they didn't move or back if i read right. Not sure of why.

While I normally am all for letting it play out I think in this case it backfired twice... and could have been even worse.  First, the Gophs saw the signal and at least two players let up.  Some people on Ghole said even an Iowa player went to the sideline.   It was pretty obvious to many what was happening.  By not blowing it dead you have taken those players out of the play...

Also, he made a game changing play.  If he goes 5 yards it is no big deal...either review happens and everyone shrugs or it doesn't and the Gophers wine for 10 seconds and move on.  By letting it play out (and with players quitting on the play) he made a huge gamechanging play and it all blew up in their face. 

Imagine someone gets hurt on that play...how bad would the officials look then?  

I think it works be better after this year to just reword the rule.  Any waving motion is now a fair catch if the ball is fielded. If you wave off your team cause it's bouncing then you are giving up on the play so a touch is an automatic whistle.  No more confusion just very clear and concise.  Any wave is a fair catch.

g-manpuck reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

My assumption as to why they let the play run instead of immediately blowing it dead is that they wanted to make sure what they saw would constitute an invalid fair catch. He was certainly pointing with one hand and if they weren't 100% sure his other hand was waving around (for whatever reason) they know the ability to review the play is in their back pocket to confirm. 

As a football fan in general I'm much more in favor of "Let the play happen, then review it" than I am of the "We think this play is dead, so blow the whistle" and then replay clearly shows the play should have been live and there's nothing they can do to correct their missed call. Imagine DeJean starts that play by pointing with both hands and then as he starts going to the ball he moves his left arm toward his body and a referee sees that as a wave, even though he's just tucking his arm to run, and blows the play dead as soon as he picks it up but with the crowd noise the play continues and he scores, but ope the play was blown dead because the back judge thought his running motion was a wave.

110% agree...  Even though I was yelling at my tv for the stripes to blew their whistle. I'm glad they didn't and looked at replay. I wish this happens more often, even if it causes my blood pressure to spike. And I've said it several times on here before, let the play play out and let replay take it's course. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

@g-manpuck 

The bigger question... What does Sr. do with Jr? Without going to Hawkeye football social media sites. Are fans at pitchfork level and beyond with Jr?

Keep your stick on the ice...

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2199
Post on old board: 15139

They have been since last year at least.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

Gophers not wasting anytime trying to capitalize on the Iowa win, I got my season ticket renewal notice today.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

@g-manpuck 

The bigger question... What does Sr. do with Jr? Without going to Hawkeye football social media sites. Are fans at pitchfork level and beyond with Jr?

Every Iowa fan I know hates BF, but I think short of firing KF as well (cause he is protecting his kid) I dont see them getting rid of BF.  And I am down for a kickstarter to keep him around!

g-manpuck and Greyeagle reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

I love Brian. I think he should get the head coaching job. 

Greyeagle reacted
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1069
Post on old board: 29516

Posted by: @snowcool08

Also, if the officials on the field did not know to make the call and the video review ref did, isn’t that what they are there for? Their job is to make everything is correct. They have targeting calls that weren’t called on the field at all reviewed and overturned. 

yes, there is a clause in the rules that grants fairly broad powers to the video review ref

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level

While I normally am all for letting it play out I think in this case it backfired twice... and could have been even worse.  First, the Gophs saw the signal and at least two players let up.  Some people on Ghole said even an Iowa player went to the sideline.   It was pretty obvious to many what was happening.  By not blowing it dead you have taken those players out of the play...

Also, he made a game changing play.  If he goes 5 yards it is no big deal...either review happens and everyone shrugs or it doesn't and the Gophers wine for 10 seconds and move on.  By letting it play out (and with players quitting on the play) he made a huge gamechanging play and it all blew up in their face. 

I think it works be better after this year to just reword the rule.  Any waving motion is now a fair catch if the ball is fielded. If you wave off your team cause it's bouncing then you are giving up on the play so a touch is an automatic whistle.  No more confusion just very clear and concise.  Any wave is a fair catch.

I disagree. The right call is the right call. Only one pathway erroneously deprives a team from making a play. That's blowing it dead when it shouldn't have been. I'd be pissed if they blew a very clear opportunity at a pick six dead if one of our CBs makes a shoelace catch that he runs back from the line (to use another extreme example).

The injury point is irrelevant UNLESS it's a relatively dangerous situation (stalled forward progress or a helmet coming off are the ones that come to mind).  Err on the side of safety there. As for run backs, the chance of an injury is roughly the same as it would be for any other subsequent play after the reviewed call. 

As for the UNC game,(not directed at you handy) I don't understand why people are pointing to that as a reason to not make the correct call here.  A bad call is a bad call. Get it right or change the rules. 

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @youngeagle

Okay...deep breath.

The end of that game even after the called back punt return call was setting up to be a typical Iowa win vs Minnesota.  Execute complimentary defensive football with special teams pinning us down in our own end and getting the ball back only needing 20 yards for GW field goal.  How many times have they done that to the Gophers over the past decade?  IMO Iowa fans (as you point out) should be more upset about the terrible offensive line/QB play that led to the game sealing INT, as that truly cost them Floyd.  There is just no way Brian Ferentz should be coaching D1 football.  

Bingo. trillions of bits would never have been sent over the internet if Iowa doesn't throw that pick. It was a hideous play

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @dxmnkd316

I disagree. The right call is the right call. Only one pathway erroneously deprives a team from making a play. That's blowing it dead when it shouldn't have been. I'd be pissed if they blew a very clear opportunity at a pick six dead if one of our CBs makes a shoelace catch that he runs back from the line (to use another extreme example).

The injury point is irrelevant UNLESS it's a relatively dangerous situation (stalled forward progress or a helmet coming off are the ones that come to mind).  Err on the side of safety there. As for run backs, the chance of an injury is roughly the same as it would be for any other subsequent play after the reviewed call. 

As for the UNC game,(not directed at you handy) I don't understand why people are pointing to that as a reason to not make the correct call here.  A bad call is a bad call. Get it right or change the rules. 

This was the point I made a couple times on Twitter on Saturday night. Just because one crew doesn't know the rulebook doesn't mean the call in Iowa was wrong. It means ACC officials are going to get a memo about that rule.

dxmnkd316 reacted

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1716630737154125964?s=20

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1716627529711173776?s=20

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

Iowa fan: We would never make such a big deal and parade Floyd like that

Minnesota fan: Yeah, because you don't have an NFL team

dxmnkd316 reacted
dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level

Posted by: @slap-shot

Minnesota fan: Yeah, because the only other thing you have is an endless sea of corn that stands between you and civilization

ftfy

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

Minnesota fan: Yeah, because you don't have an NFL team

I swear they stormed the Dome before, but too lazy too look it up 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

They did. And tore down the goal posts. 
Then tried to get them out through a revolving door. 
Sobriety lost momentum that day. 

The Rube reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5569

Was that before or after going at it in the restrooms?

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

That was it. I give them credit to try to carry it down the main drag....damn. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)

Posted by: @karlsson

concurrent. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

A shoestring catch is close, this was not even questionable.  Letting it play out was stupid even if players hadn't quit on the play.  The refs created controversy where there didn't need to be any.

I am all for letting a lot of plays play out because you can't go back and fix a lot of issues after the whistle but in this case there was no question about it and the only reason the ref didn't blow it dead was he knew he was getting bailed out on replay.  That is dangerous, lazy and stupid.

People who use the UNC game as proof (while ignoring the Bama game which backs up the call completely) is like those jerks who complain they got nailed for speeding while everyone else sped.  What other people do doesn't make what you did ok.  Just because you got caught breaking the rules and others didn't is not a mitigating factor.  Hell that is the story of my whole family 😉

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Same game...

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

A shoestring catch is close, this was not even questionable.  Letting it play out was stupid even if players hadn't quit on the play.  The refs created controversy where there didn't need to be any.

I am all for letting a lot of plays play out because you can't go back and fix a lot of issues after the whistle but in this case there was no question about it and the only reason the ref didn't blow it dead was he knew he was getting bailed out on replay.  That is dangerous, lazy and stupid.

People who use the UNC game as proof (while ignoring the Bama game which backs up the call completely) is like those jerks who complain they got nailed for speeding while everyone else sped.  What other people do doesn't make what you did ok.  Just because you got caught breaking the rules and others didn't is not a mitigating factor.  Hell that is the story of my whole family 😉

There was a Southern Miss game last week or two weeks ago that had literally the exact scenario Minnesota-Iowa had (except it wasn't with 2 minutes left). SMU guy waved people off, caught the ball and returned it for a TD. Refs reviewed it and saw his arm wave and called it back. But nobody was paying attention to that one either 😉 

dxmnkd316 reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

Yesterday the B1G Coordinator of Officiating and NCAA rules editor had a conference call with one reporter from Iowa City and the Pioneer Press to talk about the play.  Here is the link to the Hawk Central article:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2023/10/23/why-was-cooper-dejean-punt-return-overturned-big-ten-ncaa-replay-minnesota/71289170007/

A couple answers stick out from this conference call:

• A fair catch is reviewable and thus so is a non-valid signal even though it is not explicitly stated. 
  • Fleck's assessment of "Poison or Peter" kills the play was wrong.  Nothing that is audible is a fair catch or non-valid signal.  The waving of arm is what kills the play.
  • And here is the quote that I wanted to hear...“In retrospect, we would have preferred if they were confident (on the field) that signal was an invalid signal, we should have killed the play.”

My Twitter feed is just littered with fans that won't get over this.  Like it was said I am pissed about the 2 yards of offense in the second half and then the complete ability to get into FG range with the possession we had after this whole silly situation.  Iowa lost the game and it was not because the refs erroneously let that punt return play out instead of blowing it dead.  Iowa lost the game because they are a bad football team.  In the words of Common this is a biblically bad offense that will be remembered and loathed by Iowa faithful for decades.

Do Iowa fans hate Brian Ferentz?  Hell yes we do!!  I believe at the last two home games chants of "Fire Brian!" have broke out.  He is awful at every aspect of his job.  He can't call a game, he can't develop players, and he obviously can't recruit talent.

Does Kirk need to go?  No, he still is winning games even with awful coaching and marginal talent on the offensive side of the ball.  Hayden Fry would have been out the door earlier if it weren't for Tavian Banks and Tim Dwight saving his bacon.  Kirk has reached near the Hayden level of respect from Iowa fans and no matter how this Brian thing works out Iowa fans will still talk about the years of winning under him.  I do think with the expansion of the B1G may spell the doom for Kirk though, this year may have been his last chance to make it to the conference championship game.  Iowa could contend year after year with the divisions to make it to the conference championship but I don't see it after expansion with him at the helm.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @greyeagle

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1716630737154125964?s=20

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1716627529711173776?s=20

People can say what they want about "parading" Floyd out there. It's great marketing.  Keep Gopher football on people's minds, show some positivity, maybe sell some tickets.  Also a nice reward for those players that got to be at the game and represent the U of M.

dxmnkd316
(@dxmnkd316)
Bonin Level

There are people complaining?

Greyeagle reacted

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7905
Post on old board: 18942

I haven't been to gopherhole lately but I can only imagine.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

I have zero issue with the Gophers bringing Floyd to US Bank.  

Greyeagle reacted
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

There was a Southern Miss game last week or two weeks ago that had literally the exact scenario Minnesota-Iowa had (except it wasn't with 2 minutes left). SMU guy waved people off, caught the ball and returned it for a TD. Refs reviewed it and saw his arm wave and called it back. But nobody was paying attention to that one either 😉 

It happened to the Gophers in the Eastern Michigan game.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Yesterday the B1G Coordinator of Officiating and NCAA rules editor had a conference call with one reporter from Iowa City and the Pioneer Press to talk about the play.  Here is the link to the Hawk Central article:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2023/10/23/why-was-cooper-dejean-punt-return-overturned-big-ten-ncaa-replay-minnesota/71289170007/

A couple answers stick out from this conference call:

• A fair catch is reviewable and thus so is a non-valid signal even though it is not explicitly stated. 
  • Fleck's assessment of "Poison or Peter" kills the play was wrong.  Nothing that is audible is a fair catch or non-valid signal.  The waving of arm is what kills the play.
  • And here is the quote that I wanted to hear...“In retrospect, we would have preferred if they were confident (on the field) that signal was an invalid signal, we should have killed the play.”

My Twitter feed is just littered with fans that won't get over this.  Like it was said I am pissed about the 2 yards of offense in the second half and then the complete ability to get into FG range with the possession we had after this whole silly situation.  Iowa lost the game and it was not because the refs erroneously let that punt return play out instead of blowing it dead.  Iowa lost the game because they are a bad football team.  In the words of Common this is a biblically bad offense that will be remembered and loathed by Iowa faithful for decades.

Do Iowa fans hate Brian Ferentz?  Hell yes we do!!  I believe at the last two home games chants of "Fire Brian!" have broke out.  He is awful at every aspect of his job.  He can't call a game, he can't develop players, and he obviously can't recruit talent.

Does Kirk need to go?  No, he still is winning games even with awful coaching and marginal talent on the offensive side of the ball.  Hayden Fry would have been out the door earlier if it weren't for Tavian Banks and Tim Dwight saving his bacon.  Kirk has reached near the Hayden level of respect from Iowa fans and no matter how this Brian thing works out Iowa fans will still talk about the years of winning under him.  I do think with the expansion of the B1G may spell the doom for Kirk though, this year may have been his last chance to make it to the conference championship game.  Iowa could contend year after year with the divisions to make it to the conference championship but I don't see it after expansion with him at the helm.

I don't think Fleck was saying anything vocal kills the play...he was saying waving your arms to tell people to back off is "poison" and thus kills it.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

No.

rodentsrulejr
(@rodentsrulejr)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 135

Lmao. What are these Iowa jerseys?

as soon as I saw them I knew we'd win ? 

IALTO

Greyeagle reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden

tell people to back off is "poison" and thus kills it.

Poison or Peter are the words that most programs have returners to use to yell at team mates to back off. 

Here is PJ's quote on that..."The other part of the rule is if you ‘poison’ or ‘Peter’ a ball (common words to get teammates away from a bouncing ball), you cannot advance that ball.”

On the Talking Hawks podcast former Iowa WR Matt Vandeberg talks about how "Peter" is the word Iowa uses to call off team mates.  It was funny that during that podcast his wife can't get over this play but the Meerkat is much more calm in his assessment.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Topic starter  

I love the One MN aspect to sports we've adopted, recognizing each team and sport across all.  Floyd at US Bank was great marketing for MN just like PJ and others promote the pros when appropriate.  It's only in the past few years we've started doing that and I think it's awesome.

Page 10 / 20