Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
27.2 K Views
HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4647
Post on old board: 28736

Posted by: @slap-shot

The Gophers have been "passed over" in the past in the BT bowl hierarchy. A more significant NC win or two might have prevented that. Also this NC schedule isn't going to prepare them for important games down the stretch. I'd rather see them lose to Oklahoma St (or whatever) in September and be better prepared for Iowa and Wisconsin in the end. I realize you may not agree.

Its not whether I agree...its just I think you are using the wrong reasoning.  We weren't passed over because we played Nobody Tech we are passed over because we spent decades as a joke and have a marginal fanbase in comparison. (that is the perception up until very very recently)  Wisconsin and Iowa brings way more fans than we do, they are a stronger bet for the Alamo Bowl than we are. (again that is perception) It sucks but we have been complaining about it since we made the Sun Bowl in '99.

If playing marginal teams was a hinderance no Power 5 team would risk playing them.

And lets not forget, these games are scheduled years in advance and you have to find teams that want to play you as well.  2 patsies and a mid tier Power 5 squad is a pretty sound strategy and we had no way to know Colorado would be a dumpster fire at this point.  We played Fresno State twice and they were coming off a 10 and 12 win season.  You play the hand you are dealt.  We have UNC the next two years, followed by a game against Cal and then Mississippi State.

My honest opinion, I am fine with 1 Power opponent, one regional opponent and a top end G5 type squad.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3393
Post on old board: 30840

It might be a financial net gain but my question is how much does the NC schedule play into putting this program a bit higher on the map nationally relative to even Iowa and Wisconsin?

I'm not sure that many people are too concerned about non-conference games to put the program on a higher map nationally. Teams that are 7-0 or 8-0 late in October in a P5 conference will be on the map. 

Almost all the top teams will schedule a couple weak non-conference opponents and then schedule one other P5 team. The non-conference P5 team is always going to be a crapshoot on how good they'll end up being because they schedule them so far in advance. Colorado was 10-4 in 2016 and has gone back to being pretty below average since. If they had continued to do well there's no way they'd be considered a "cupcake" NC game but they have been below average or worse the last few years so now the Gophers are huge favorites.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1799
Post on old board: 8686

PJ got asked about the NC schedule specifically in his presser today (1st question).  Also reminded him Notre Dame hasn't been here since the 30's apparently.

Anyway, he skirted the question pretty well:

• Scheduled for NC are made 10-15 years out, we're still playing teams the previous staff and Admin. scheduled
  • The schedule we're building is for 10 years out, would love to see some more competitiveness to it
  • This is really handled by the administration and is outside of his scope of daily football operations

If we're going to pay to get out of playing a UNC, I'm not sure we're smart to schedule a top Power 5 school.  I get we made that decision years ago under 2 coaches ago, but the general theory applies.  If an average to above average school is more than we want, I don't see us scheduled the Top 25 anytime soon.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7119
Post on old board: 18942

Its not whether I agree...its just I think you are using the wrong reasoning.

And we disagree that I am using the wrong reasoning. ? 

As for the bigger discussion I am aware they schedule NC games well in advance and they're not going to schedule top flight programs all the way through, but NMSU and WMU are never going to be anything but terrible and I hope those in charge reduce the frequency of putting those types of teams on the schedule in the same season.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I can't speak for WIU but I am almost 100% sure the NMSU games were scheduled as a favor to McKinley Boston who was in charge there at the time.

Put it this way, let's say we play OKState and get beat and it isn't really competitive. (not a blowout but we never really threaten) Do you really think that is going to make us look better come bowl selection time?  That is the risk you take.  Me and you might think it is a good idea but I could see why the coach and school would think otherwise.  That loss could be the difference between Florida and Detroit.

As of now I am fine with it as long as we start upping the schedule incrementally which we seem to be.  Now next year when we smoke UNC everyone will downplay that too because it is obvious they are not very good 😉

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5708
Post on old board: 16243

@handyman
The Gophers could schedule Florida, Oregon and Mississippi State for their 3 non conference games and those same fans will complain.

Keep your stick on the ice...

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7744
Post on old board: 35040

The issue with scheduling tougher schools is it's a no-win situation (if you are a true power school). You lose? Your hopes for a big bowl game/playoffs are done. Win? Well, duh, you are a power school. They'd just rather take the money and run. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @gator

@handyman
The Gophers could schedule Florida, Oregon and Mississippi State for their 3 non conference games and those same fans will complain.

I wouldn't and I brought up the subject. But I also would never in a million years expect them to schedule those 3 programs in the same season.  Maybe read what I said about expected NC teams. ?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10656
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gator

@handyman

Effing cowbells.......  Sieve

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orion
(@orion)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 761

Our non-con schedule is not what is keeping us from good bowls.  We need to start consistently beat good teams in conference and in the bowls we go to and we will start getting noticed.  Alabama this year will play Utah State, LA-Monroe, and Austin Peay (had to look that one up).  The NC schedule is as week as it gets.

gator reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Well, truth to needing to just not lose more than 1 game in the not overly stout B1G West.  This year, there is no way they shouldn't beat 2 of 3 vs. WI, IA, and NE and finish 5-1 or 6-0 in the west.  At some point you need to win your division (conference) if you want to demand respect.

Also, bowl hierarchy has shifted.  The traditional 1-10 ranking of bowls in a conference doesn't really exist.  It's more tiered with 1-3 as the top 4-7 as the middle and 8-10 as the bottom.  Within those tiers, little real difference to the bowls/schools as they try to create best matchups for attendance and TV.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

Dropping a turd against IL last year really hurt.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @greyeagle

Dropping a turd against IL last year really hurt.

You lose to Illinois, but beat wisconSIN. For Gopher Football really getting to that next tier they need to win the West a couple of times in a short time frame. And stop laying eggs.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5214

I figured Wisconsin getting a better bowl game regardless of losing to us was because of Illinois and Bowling Green. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3963
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @karlsson

I figured Wisconsin getting a better bowl game regardless of losing to us was because of Illinois and Bowling Green. 

That and their fans travel so the bowl host will make more money on tickets.

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2222
Post on old board: 6782

Here is the wrinkle that in a couple years that will screw up the non-conference schedule...USC and UCLA.  I know the dust hasn't settled on this but if it comes to fruition then the number of non-conference games will be reduced while making the conference schedule probably that much more difficult. 

Kirk Ferentz referenced this last week on his radio show when asked about continuing the Iowa State rivalry.  His comment was that nothing was concrete past the current agreement which ends in 2025. 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @g-manpuck

Here is the wrinkle that in a couple years that will screw up the non-conference schedule...USC and UCLA.  I know the dust hasn't settled on this but if it comes to fruition then the number of non-conference games will be reduced while making the conference schedule probably that much more difficult. 

Kirk Ferentz referenced this last week on his radio show when asked about continuing the Iowa State rivalry.  His comment was that nothing was concrete past the current agreement which ends in 2025. 

I dont think it is that much of a wrinkle, because USC and UCLA won't be the last additions.  Pod scheduling is coming.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @g-manpuck

The biggest impact as conferences increase size will be on Notre Dame.  As conference sizes increase so will the number of conference games and one result is scheduling quality opponents becomes much more difficult for ND.  If the Iowa-ISU rivalry could be scaled back anything is possible...

g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2222
Post on old board: 6782

If the Iowa-ISU rivalry could be scaled back anything is possible...

I know that there will come a time when this game won't be an annual thing, it's just gonna happen so Iowa fans better get that in their head now.  Like Handy said, USC and UCLA won't be the last additions to the B1G so as those increase non-conference games will decrease.

If it comes down to only being able to schedule one non-conference game each season schools will just circulate who those opponents will be.  Smaller colleges want to play the big boys purely for the money they get for playing, not so much for the chance of winning.  Iowa will just put Iowa State into a rotation, I would guess, with other small schools just so that they can appease the fans of both schools.  Fans will bitch irregardless, but B1G money pays more than non-conference I would assume.

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4700
Post on old board: 10695

A very nice start to the game, good long drive, and punched it in.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @steve-mn

A very nice start to the game, good long drive, and punched it in.

Followed by a strip sack and recovery on the 11. Two handoffs to Mo and it is 14-0.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Wasn't a fan of getting backed into a 3rd and 21, but Mo delivers for 34 yards.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

And, putting the Gophers up 20-0, Mo ties Darrel Thompson for the Gopher's career Rushing TD record at 40  (they did make the kick for the extra point)

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

The only blemish for the offense so far through almost 2.5 quarters was a ball off Spann-Ford's hands that tipped into the air. It kinda looked like the CB didn't have full control of the ball when he rolled out of bounds with it but I'm not sure there would have been enough to overturn the call on the field.

Mo has 16 for 143 and 3 TDs in the first half so far.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

I'd want to see a little bit of a passing game, though.

And literally as I was typing that, Autman-Bell with the 39 yard TD reception.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1222

Morgan to Autman-Bell ... TD

28-0

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

midevil bowievil
(@midevil-bowievil)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 262

Posted by: @mnnavy

28-0

One good throw today. QB is worst player on the offense.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Uh oh.  Autman-Bell down writhing in pain and grabbing his knee 🙁

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

Posted by: @midevil-bowievil

28-0

Morgan to D. Wright ... TD

35-0

That makes at least TWO good throws today.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

28-0

Morgan to D. Wright ... TD

35-0

That makes at least TWO good throws today.

There was a decent screen pass in there too.  Not too impressive on the distance, of course.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden

Morgan to Geary ... TD

42-0

Not bad for the worst player on the offense.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

28-0

Lol OK

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

@midevil-bowievil  If you are reacting to the pass where Autman-Bell was injured, I think the pass was not intended for A-B.  There was another receiver on the same line.  The throw was too high and too hard for where A-B was, but looked like it was right on target for the other receiver.

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @composer

@midevil-bowievil  If you are reacting to the pass where Autman-Bell was injured, I think the pass was not intended for A-B.  There was another receiver on the same line.  The throw was too high and too hard for where A-B was, but looked like it was right on target for the other receiver.

Pretty sure he was meaning the TD pass earlier.  Not that I agree with Morgan being the worst player

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden

Another good upper-body workout day for Goldy.

I'm a bit nervous going into the B1G season with so little of an apparent passing game, though, especially next week.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

I was at a birthday party and saw CAB get hurt.  Has there been any updates?  I haven’t been able to watch since.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @bertogliat

I was at a birthday party and saw CAB get hurt.  Has there been any updates?  I haven’t been able to watch since.

Hard to guess what it was. It looked like a nothing play but he immediately grabbed for his knee and could hardly put any weight on it leaving the field. 

PJ said in post game he was getting "pictures taken" with the medical staff so I assume that means MRI.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Next week should be a big test after facing 3 TERRIBLE non conference opponents.  Hopefully they can get up to MSU’s speed quickly.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

WA is owning MSU so far.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Will an MSU squad getting spanked therefore become a squad that's pissed off, or will they instead be shell-shocked and timid after this? 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

Will an MSU squad getting spanked therefore become a squad that's pissed off, or will they instead be shell-shocked and timid after this? 

I really hope the Holy Gopher Empire rolls over Sparty.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5214

I really hope the Holy Gopher Empire rolls over Sparty.

Agreed. Send them back on their shields.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1161
Post on old board: 6069

Michigan St opens as a 1 point favorite. Usually home teams in college get 3-4 points for just being at home. That means Vegas thinks the Gophers are a touch better right now. 

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Posted by: @steve-mn
Posted by: @composer

Pretty sure he was meaning the TD pass earlier.  Not that I agree with Morgan being the worst player

Could be--The time stamp on the post was the same as your post about Autman-Bell hurting his knee, which made me think it was related to that.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @snowcool08

Michigan St opens as a 1 point favorite. Usually home teams in college get 3-4 points for just being at home. That means Vegas thinks the Gophers are a touch better right now. 

Gophers +1.5 now.  It's somewhat an urban legend that home team gets 3 points for being home.  It comes from the stat that home teams win on average by 3 points.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7744
Post on old board: 35040

The 3 point standard is not just for college football. It's for all of football. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12651
Post on old board: 9626

The Colorado AD had to issue a statement after the Gophers smoked them.

https://twitter.com/adamcm777/status/1571658708077391873

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Topic starter  

Coaches should know it's time to update your résumé when the vote of confidence comes their way.

Steve MN reacted
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Saw a stat, like 90 of Colorado’s players are freshmen and sophomores. They’re in a rebuild. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @the-rube

The 3 point standard is not just for college football. It's for all of football. 

I have read what's that is not really true anymore...

gator reacted
Page 5 / 20