Gopher Football 202...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Gopher Football 2022/23 - Row That Boat!

977 Posts
57 Users
138 Likes
26.5 K Views
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2195
Post on old board: 6782

Posted by: @bigbeer

Posted by: @steve-mn

Posted by: @gator

WHO HATES IOWA?!?!?!

WE HATE IOWA!

I don’t hate Iowa, I pity the people who have to live there. It’s really unfortunate. 

I miss the lower taxes in Iowa, that and breaded tenderloin sandwiches. 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7646
Post on old board: 35040

I have a love-hate relationship with Toppling Goliath brewery. That's about the best I can say about Iowa. 

I take that back. Millstream Brewery and Pulpit Rock are very good. 😉 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3320
Post on old board: 30840

WHO HATES IOWA?

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10475
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  
D08B5B27 DEA6 4298 9348 6CCB472D2AAA

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4600
Post on old board: 10695

Posted by: @beauner

WHO HATES IOWA?

WE HATE IOWA!

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Just wanted to remind everyone that Fleck tells all seniors to participate in senior day regardless of whether they have decided to use an extra year or not. Basically just because someone participates today does not mean they are gone.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Iowa center 6 yards downfield on a tight end screen that ends up going for 40 yards. Right in the middle of the field.

Is ineligible man downfield not a penalty?

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Certainly not an ideal start

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5148

Yeah with their defense this might be out of reach fast. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

I thought leading with the crown of the helmet was targeting. Silly me.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

That was textbook targeting and now Kramer is in.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

#8 back out there and throwing with a little success now. 

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Kicker seemingly fails to account for wind and a good drive results in nothing

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

I don't care what you guys say, I think Ibrahim is a good running back

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3913
Post on old board: 12555

Christ on a cracker, just go win that pig.  It’s there for the taking.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Bound to put it on the ground eventually. Very bad timing though. 

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1198

Posted by: @karlsson

No damage as Ioaw goes three and out.

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

Karlsson reacted
Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @mnnavy

Posted by: @karlsson

No damage as Ioaw goes three and out.

Defense has been good, especially in the second half. 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7646
Post on old board: 35040

MN gonna MN

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

We always lose on this kind of stuff. PJ has to figure out how to beat Iowa

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level

Gonna let them run it down and then kick the FG. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

The guy who should have been ejected for targeting forces the fumble on Mo and then gets the interception to win it for Iowa.

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5288
Post on old board: 15786

Classic Gopher Choke... Afraid  

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3954
Post on old board: 9428

That loss is next level disappointing. 

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1178
Post on old board: 6912

Gophers ?absolutely cursed vs Iowa! 

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level

Is it a curse if you plain choke every damn time in important situations? Seems self inflicted. Just like this was the year to dominate the West, this was the year you beat Iowa. Messed up both. 

I’m not calling for heads, but I might be done defending them. 

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1235
Post on old board: 5215

Way too disappointed to post anything of volume right now; much, much too raw.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret"  Formal Smile  

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

JFC

gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 430
Post on old board: 9527

Slim margin for a error and two turnovers can’t happen. That fumble was killer and a missed FG. Iowa got the luck and the plays didn’t bounce our way. Had a chance for a pick at the end and couldn’t bring it down

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12497
Post on old board: 9626

Typical Gopher football. Not shocked by the loss at all.

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

There was nothing wrong with how MN played or the game plan. Should have absolutely won that game. Nothing falls on the coaches or players other than 3 unfortunate mistakes. 

Can’t blame PJ for those mistakes. 

it was a great game other then the final score. And I’m still thawing out. 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Incredibly disappointing. Wow. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2139
Post on old board: 15139

Just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in that one. This season was already shot in some ways weeks ago (getting to conference final) but would’ve been nice to win the two big trophy games. 

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

Running Mo 39 times is ridiculous. The drive he fumbled on he was clearly tired. Had his hands in his hips after every carry. They kept giving him the ball. I thought we learned that lesson a few years ago, but I guess not. He broke a few loose that if he had the top end speed, we would have scored at least 21. 

I don’t believe there was a flag thrown the entire game. It felt like after they let a few things go, they were not going to call anything unless it was egregious. 

Almost 400 yards of offense and 10 points. Poorly managed game. Settled for a FG at the half. Missed the kick. Didn’t realize that playing with the wind was the only way to score. No sense of urgency in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to put points up. When you play a control the clock game, they will always be close and have a slim margin for error. Coin flip went against us today. 

trixR4kids reacted

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3913
Post on old board: 12555

I couldn’t watch much of the game.  Did they ever let Athan keep the ball on the option?  It kills me when he hands it off and runs like he has the ball only to be totally ignored and wide open.

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

It was so brutally cold that most of the fans were disconnected from the events on the field...not a fun experience at all and no prize for the gopher faithful who stuck around until the end.

Two long fourth-quarter drives ended in red zone turnovers.  Can't do that and expect to win. They blew it, plain and simple 

bearpaw28 reacted
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

Many saw this as a key game for the West all season and in the preseason. The gophers got outmatched and simply blew it. Despite dominating, a couple bad plays like the opening screen, missed FG, fumble, to name a few, was the ultimate reason they lost. Super disappointing in the outcome. 

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

8 straight losses to the Hawkeyes. Pretty disappointing, given that the two teams are pretty even.

What was with Fleck wearing a pullover and no hat yesterday? I had about 5 layers on, including a down vest, a down jacket, down pants, and an insulated wind shell...wasn't freezing cold but wasn't comfortable either. Unfortunately, we were bucking a pitiless northwest wind all night.

ex_goldy
(@ex_goldy)
Lucia Level Golden
Rep Pts: 199

Fleck being skewered for this loss.  I agree with the criticism. Wins this year were all vs teams with losing records.  Don’t know if the DC or OC would have made the calls and not have it be a Fleck responsibility but he is the final decision.  Having a freshman QB doesn’t help but I thought his play had some bad in it but was on the whole very good. Ibrahim fumble on a scoring drive that would have put them ahead was a momentum killer.  Potts got some carries but that was too many plays in a row for Ibrahim.  Iowa win would have been a huge fix for a bad season.  Gophers put  up 280 yards on a stingy defense. I think they were only allowing 88 yards a game.   I still hate Iowa and blame coaches for this loss of a winnable game. 

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

Posted by: @snowcool08

Running Mo 39 times is ridiculous. The drive he fumbled on he was clearly tired. Had his hands in his hips after every carry. They kept giving him the ball. I thought we learned that lesson a few years ago, but I guess not. He broke a few loose that if he had the top end speed, we would have scored at least 21. 

I don’t believe there was a flag thrown the entire game. It felt like after they let a few things go, they were not going to call anything unless it was egregious. 

Almost 400 yards of offense and 10 points. Poorly managed game. Settled for a FG at the half. Missed the kick. Didn’t realize that playing with the wind was the only way to score. No sense of urgency in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to put points up. When you play a control the clock game, they will always be close and have a slim margin for error. Coin flip went against us today. 

You’re right there were no flags the entire game, random factoid my buddy mentioned after.

And yes running Mo that many times especially at the end was dumb. The guy opened up a ton for Kalianakis and they just were content to just keep running or settle for a missed FG. I get that they’re an elite D and obviously Mo was very good but they were over reliant on him and it bit them.

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10475
Post on old board: 21741
Topic starter  

Brrrr.....was happy to be on the north side of The Bank yesterday, the wind block was most welcome.

When MN got the ball back after the first turnover I thought for sure we'd score with little to no time left and claim the elusive sow but damn.  In my humble opinion two plays defined the game, one missed MN FG and the first play from scrimmage by Iowa, which basically gift wrapped Iowa's first FG.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

team2tank
(@team2tank)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 160

Can Fleck coach a Football team? Another year and still inconclusive.

Great hype man though.

trixR4kids
(@trixr4kids)
Broten Level

PJ is a good coach in terms of recruiting and overall vision but yesterdays game was called so poorly and whoever was responsible for that should probably take a serious look at what they’re doing. This was also the case in other losses this year (and last esp against BGSU). 

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4367

Posted by: @gopherguy06

Many saw this as a key game for the West all season and in the preseason. The gophers got outmatched and simply blew it. Despite dominating, a couple bad plays like the opening screen, missed FG, fumble, to name a few, was the ultimate reason they lost. Super disappointing in the outcome. 

Agree with mostly everything, but they weren’t outmatched. They blew the game. 

trixR4kids reacted
gopherguy06
(@gopherguy06)
Wooger Level

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @gopherguy06

Agree with mostly everything, but they weren’t outmatched. They blew the game. 

that’s true. Held our own in the trenches and ran all over them. Some key plays were costly

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

I disagree. A few key player mistakes cost us this game. A chip shot field goal, a fumble by a sure handed RB, and an interception on a deflection. 

There was no reason to risk the ball in the air when getting 3+ yards a run. No reason to give possession back if you don’t have to. 

Maybe you say they should have passed more on early downs, but nothing suggested they needed to. 

This loss isn’t on PJ. Players have to execute. Ours made 3 mistakes. It was one too many. 

Eric Vegoe
(@eric-vegoe)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1276

Posted by: @snowcool08

I did say to someone during the game that it must be too cold to hold... that drew a few laughs... but can't say I can remember a game where nothing got called.

GopherPete
(@gopherpete)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 406

PJ has a certain recipe that he thinks is going to give the best chance to win games. He is right more often than not, so long as the execution is near perfect. The problem is, it leaves a very small margin for error. We saw just how small that margin was. 

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

With little talent at the WR position, this is the way Fleck feels is the best way to compete.  Three big mistakes doomed us on Saturday and that doesn't change whether or not the game plan was right.

Page 14 / 20