30 Users
21 Likes
JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1794
Post on old board: 8686

Down 30 to MD early in the 2nd. This just isn’t fun to watch. Hope there’s exponential improvement with his 2nd class next year. 

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

Has anyone contacted those two prized recruits lately? Do they still want to come here?

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4366

I’m on the younger side of Gopher fandom, but is this rock bottom?

This is nearing Basement Brew embarrassment.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3303
Post on old board: 30840

Posted by: @snowcool08

Has anyone contacted those two prized recruits lately? Do they still want to come here?

I believe they signed their NIL so it doesn't matter 😉

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

There’s this school in NM that’s looking really good this year. Maybe should look into that coach. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12489
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

As Bob would say, the boogieman is still out there.

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1622680253847023617

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

Men lost by 35 in their last game, and now the women lose by 30. 

* side note unrelated to the Gophers-- The UConn women have now lost 2 in a row for the 1st time in 30 YEARS..

https://twitter.com/GopherWBB/status/1623499089039224832

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Border Gopher
(@border-gopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 421

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6925
Post on old board: 18942

That's gonna leave a mark.

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4366

WOW... 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Obviously hurts quite a bit but with the current composition of the roster I'd rather it be him than Christie. Our guard play is mostly terrible. Payne and JOJ have looked very solid (and seem to improve every game) in the post as true freshmen and Dawson Garcia is still very good and still has a couple years left. 

With him backing out hopefully Ben is able to get an impact guard in here to replace the scholarship and retain the young core with Payne, Carrington, JOJ, Henley, and Kaydn Betts (redshirting this season) without losing them to the transfer portal. 

With a good guard addition and returning this year's freshman class, along with Battle and Garcia and adding Christie into the guard mix I'd expect to see significant improvement.

Their FT shooting and 3pt shooting is absolutely abysmal and they don't have anybody other than Battle that they can really trust in close games to make FTs or to hit a big momentum swinging 3 and they don't have a guard that makes defenses stay honest. Cooper is a decent 3pt shooter (38%) but is barely 50% from the line so he basically has to drive and dish or shoot a 3 to be effective. Taurus Samuel, their primary 2 guard, is playing almost 20 minutes a game and averages 2.5 points/game while shooting a whopping 27% from the field and 28% from 3. 

Right now they basically have to play 1 guard and 4 forwards and hope the other team can't get out and run the floor. It hasn't been working very well.

Snowcool08
(@snowcool08)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1136
Post on old board: 6069

Posted by: @beauner

Umm…

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator
Rep Pts: 962
Post on old board: 8405

What a sad Program.    1 Big 10 title on 40 years     1 NCAA Tourney win in what 10 years?  

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Umm…

It still stands true. The U doesn't HAVE to let Evans out of their NIL. They probably will (or already have) but once that is signed your only option is to have the U release you or come to campus.

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

You need a player like that.  I say screw it  You committed, you are going to play  

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7404

What is to be gained by making a player who doesn't want to be here play for one year and then go into the transfer portal after their first year?

Why not let him leave and use his scholarship on a player who wants to be here.

Bert
 Bert
(@bert)
Stauber Level Moderator

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

What is to be gained by making a player who doesn't want to be here play for one year and then go into the transfer portal after their first year?

Some one star from Litchfield MN for 4  instead of a 4 star for a year.    I will take the 4 star for a year.

Reading it sounds like the Gophers will grant the release.  

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

This team has been in such a free fall the past 3 seasons.  Between everyone bailing after Pitino left and surviving on a bunch of transfers to get through Ben's first year to essentially playing all freshmen this year... what a cluster.

I mean, there's really no way the team can be worse next year.  They're already the worst B1G team by KenPom since 2004 or something.  

But, there's really no excuse for the free throw issues.  I always thought that was a Pitino thing, apparently it's a MN thing.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

Posted by: @bert

Posted by: @collegehockeyaddict

Some one star from Litchfield MN for 4  instead of a 4 star for a year.    I will take the 4 star for a year.

Reading it sounds like the Gophers will grant the release.  

Yep if a kid wants to leave their only option is to bring in a 1 star recruit from Litchfield. ? 

Jerry Peters fka DAWoJ
(@don-adams-wheel-of-justice)
Wooger Level Golden
Rep Pts: 446

I dealt with Ben Johnson's parents last year on a fundraising project.  They're nice people and I was really hoping Ben would succeed but the job is just too big for him.  The U needs to cut bait and find a more experienced coach.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5146

Posted by: @youngeagle

Dennis Evans commits to the U! 

I don’t follow squeakyshoe, but came to this thread to gauge the reaction to the news here. This was evidently the most recent post the last time I entered this thread. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

https://twitter.com/Gopherated/status/1630257355345543168?s=20

There are a lot of rumors that Louisville is where he will end up and they are currently 4-25 so I wouldn't think the team's success (or lack thereof) has much to do with the decision to decommit. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10460
Post on old board: 21741

I have to think due to the small number of players on rosters basketball has to be the sport most susceptible to change under the current rules.

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6925
Post on old board: 18942

There are more than a few replies that suggest #1 is a bit of a stretch of a reason.  Now if Henley is going to transfer...

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @slap-shot

There are more than a few replies that suggest #1 is a bit of a stretch of a reason.  Now if Henley is going to transfer...

Henley had a very difficult time for a while getting playing time (in the early season he would play 20+ minutes per game while Battle was out) but then his playing time plummeted (47 minutes across 6 games from Dec. 11 to Jan. 12). So his frustration with playing time is understandable. 

Personally I'd definitely buy into the "NIL" contract offers from Louisville more than anything else.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gophers fighting tooth and nail against Rutgers. Battle hits a buzzer beater 3 to win in dramatic fashion. The referees are reviewing every single aspect possible to try to wave the shot off but the ball left Battle's hands with .4 seconds left so IDK what the hell the issue is.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Rutgers was up 10 with 75 seconds left.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3917
Post on old board: 9428

This long ass delay after the game is over is totally ridiculous 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

After 15 minutes of trying to do whatever they can to give Rutgers the win, the referees finally determine there's no way they could wave the basket off and not get crucified for rigging the game and the basket counts!

Honestly insane that it took so long. The ball left Battle's hand with .4 seconds left. It wasn't even bang bang.

Chris83
(@chris83)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1234
Post on old board: 5215

I've been watching sports for a LONG time. That was the most ridiculous effing clown show I have ever seen in my life. What a bleeping fiasco. JFC.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

After 15 minutes of trying to do whatever they can to give Rutgers the win, the referees finally determine there's no way they could wave the basket off and not get crucified for rigging the game and the basket counts!

Honestly insane that it took so long. The ball left Battle's hand with .4 seconds left. It wasn't even bang bang.

The main ref was obviously exhausting absolutely every opportunity to try to give Rutgers a chance. The clock started immediately when we touched it with 5.8 seconds left and even if it didn’t how is that reviewable? You’re gonna wave off the basket because the clock didn’t start fast enough? Come on.

I’ve never seen anything like that, it was at least 15 minutes after the end before they finally gave up and called it. Stoopid. 

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden

Rutgers was up 10 with 75 seconds left.

You would think we would have to be perfect in that last minute to come back but of course they missed a couple shots and still somehow won. Some epic pant shitting by Rutgers. 

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/1631486375865331713

Beauner reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @frozen4champs

https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/1631486375865331713

That's a big get

Composer
(@composer)
Stauber Level Golden
Rep Pts: 770

Posted by: @chris83

I've been watching sports for a LONG time. That was the most ridiculous effing clown show I have ever seen in my life. What a bleeping fiasco. JFC.

I was also baffled by the review.  It turns out that there was a question whether the ball touched his leg before he picked the ball up.  That would have made a difference.  But still—if you can’t tell after a few minutes…

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5591
Post on old board: 16243

Seen the replay... this review should've lasted no more than a minute.

Keep your stick on the ice...

Iceburg
(@iceburg)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2497
Post on old board: 7833

Didn’t see this, but it sounds like shades of 1972 Olympic basketball final ?

gator reacted
gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5591
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @iceburg

Didn’t see this, but it sounds like shades of 1972 Olympic basketball final ?

And those silver medals still sit locked in a vault in Munich. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Gophers leading by 7 at half against Sconnie. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gophers down 1 with 6 to go. Free throws will end this team. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Gophers crumbling down the stretch. 

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden

Good lord. Make a free throw. Gophers go 2/6 in the last minute from the line. No excuse for losing this game as it was lost on the easiest shot in bball. 

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

FT shooting has been terrible all year. Wisconsin got a lead and made the Gophers try to catch up by making FTs, which they shoot at like 61% all year.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4564
Post on old board: 28736

The Gophers seem to suck at FTs every year.  I know powwow ripped both Tubby and Pitino squads for it...

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

The Gophers seem to suck at FTs every year.  I know powwow ripped both Tubby and Pitino squads for it...

It has definitely been a recurring theme throughout the years. At least in the past they'd have 2-3 guys in the 80% range for FTs. This year only Battle (85%) is above 71% (for the guys who play meaningful minutes--Treyton Thompson is shooting a respectable 77% but only plays about 11 minutes/game). 

Payne is at 48%, JOJ is at 58%, Cooper is at 58%. Henley is at 64%.

Carrington and Garcia are both at 70% (serviceable but not great).

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Just saw on Twitter that after tonight's game they are officially dead last (363 out of 363) in FT percentage on the year. Just ridiculously bad at the line. Wonder how many more wins they would have had if they made even 5% more from the line each game. 

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Brooks Level

I'm going to predict their team free throw ranking will be better next season. ? 

Players: Coach we can only go up from here.

HandyNotDan reacted
Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Saw some tweets this morning that indicated that Battle (and maybe Cooper) may turn professional-likely going to European leagues. I think it was from Gopherhole? 

That would certainly be a buzzkill. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4564
Post on old board: 28736

Battle yes...Cooper meh.

Beauner
(@beauner)
Broten Level Golden

Posted by: @handyman

Battle yes...Cooper meh.

With how terrible are guard depth was behind Cooper, I'm not super keen on relying exclusively on Carrington and Christie and TransferPortalGuy X to be the only guards.

Page 3 / 6