Home and home with St. Thomas this weekend. Noon today at the new place at St. Thomas and 2:00 tomorrow at Ridder. With this Olympic depleted roster, I’m a little nervous.
Gophers 4
St. Thomas 1
The squad didn’t look good early, but Clark was strong in net. Gophers were pretty sharp after the first period.
Ohio State up 2-0 in wisconSIN after 1st period 😁
Aloha!
Gophers 1
St. Thomas 1
Gophers win the shootout for the extra conference point.
https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/2020261021496049688?s=20
Ohio State 4-1 over WisconSIN final
Aloha!
4-2 loss to Ohio State and it wasn't that close.
Announcer referred to the Gophers as Minnesota State.
Plosova and Laitinen should be back next week with their national teams bowing out in the quarters. A lot of problems to fix after this weekend and not a lot of time to fix them.
Plosova and Laitinen should be back next week
And they are
https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/2024984552104501485?s=20
Down 2-1 after 2 and not playing particularly inspired.
Game 2...Gopher's down 1-0 after 1 period. What gives with this team this year? They have talent...but seem to have peaked way too early. Having to watch Wisconsin once again start to pour it on and show continuous improvement every weekend is maddening to say the least (the wife is a huge Badger fan...so I have to hear it all the time). They are talented and generate a good brand of hockey. But come on already. Let's Go Gophers! It's never too late to turn things around. Let's do it!
Minnesota now sits fourth in NPI heading into the conference tournament. While that's not the worst thing in the world, it really shows how much heavy lifting Murphy and Bouveng have done this year.
St. Cloud next week, in all likelihood.
I'd really like to see this program play some more inspired hockey. Get a little hungry. It's nearing the end of the season yo. Let's get on with it. Let's turn things around and start winning again. This is Gopher Hockey you are playing for. So start playing like it!
Regular season stats:
F
Murphy 36-25-61
Lindsay 15-27-42
Bouveng 13-26-39
Nelson 10-29-39
Fanale 18-16-34
Kreisz 6-18-24
Kaiser 5-16-21
Plosova 8-10-18
Distad 10-5-15
Paul 3-5-8
D'Alessandro 1-7-8
Hovland 3-1-4
Kortan 0-0-0
D
Morrow 8-23-31
Laitinen 10-19-29
Primerano 9-15-24
Jordan 4-12-16
Graham 0-14-14
Franco 1-4-5
Bailey 1-1-2
Humphrey 0-2-2
G
Clark 17-6-1, .924 SV%, 3 SO
Hemp 7-3, .911 SV%, 1 SO
Johnson 0-0, .818 SV%
Disappointed not seeing Clark and Bouveng somewhere on the list.
Women look very disjointed again.
Under 2 to play in the 3rd still scoreless.
SCSU goalie has been good, but we have not helped ourselves tonight.
Depressing to see Badger Olympians return and all score tonight.
And they lose in ot.
Bout done with Frost.
Third year in a row they can't sweep the first round. If they end up losing a second one to St. Cloud, what are the chances they won't even be playing a home NCAA tournament game?
I honestly do not get this team. They have talent. This is a talented group. They have the nation's best goal scorer (one of the best ever to play at this level). Given all this...they can't score a single goal? WTF?
This team was recruited and built to win "now"...not next year or the year after that...but "now". I'm ok with losing to Wisconsin and Ohio State occasionally...but SCSU? Really?
Come on Gophers. Dig deep...you've beaten Wisconsin twice this year!
Btw, what's the deal with the Princeton transfer (Sarah Paul)? Is she injured? Is she taking the year off? I think played a few games like 4 months ago...but that's about it.
With laws these days injuries are kind of hush hush, but she is injured. Not sure if she’ll be able to return next year.
With laws these days injuries are kind of hush hush, but she is injured. Not sure if she’ll be able to return next year.
When Paul transferred it was expected to be a two-year thing. But her first couple years at Princeton were slowed down by injuries too. I hope she's all right.
Kaiser should also have an extra year of eligibility but I have no idea if she'll use it.
Up 1-0 after one. Still some players playing like infected with a severe case of the jitters
2-0. Murph is not one of those players
Murphy with some history. Crazy. Congratulations to her
3-0 Primerano PP
This should be 4-0, one of the most ridiculous wave offs I’ve seen.
This should be 4-0, one of the most ridiculous wave offs I’ve seen.
The TV guys did not hear the officials announcement that they ruled the goalies helmet came off. They kept saying goal post dislodged. The goalies helmet did come off. I don't know why the official who was 2 feet away from the play did not see it or whistle it dead right away. My only question if that is a reviewable play after the fact.
Also, I wish that had a better angle of the Murphy hit. Something happened, I just don't know what.
Looking down from my High Horse
Morality Police
That makes a lot more sense.
I did not watch or listen to today's game. Did they play more inspired hockey at least? Hoping that loss will awaken the kraken within their play.
I did not watch or listen to today's game. Did they play more inspired hockey at least? Hoping that loss will awaken the kraken within their play.
I was at both games and I didn’t think effort was the issue as much as nerves with certain players. Yesterday and the first period today I thought several players looked very tight with the puck on their sticks. After Murphy’s goal to make it 2-0 I thought most everyone seemed to relax. From that point they had the bulk of the chances for the rest of the game. Great St. Cloud goal tending kept things closer than you’d expect.
Nice start. Feeling kind of guilty that I stayed home today. Looks like I’m not the only one.
What a pretty goal
I think the announcer said Fanale’s goal was her 19th.
Other recent freshman totals of note.
Taylor Heise 13
Grace Zumwinkle 17
Abbey Murphy 8 (only 20 games. Don’t recall if Murph had some injury issues her first year)
5-1 after two. Fanale with a late shorty for her 20th
https://twitter.com/GopherWHockey/status/2028234047747440669?s=20
I think the announcer said Fanale’s goal was her 19th.
Other recent freshman totals of note.
Taylor Heise 13
Grace Zumwinkle 17
Abbey Murphy 8 (only 20 games. Don’t recall if Murph had some injury issues her first year)
I'm sure I'm not alone in this viewpoint but I believe Fanale will be on the US national team by 2028.
6-1 final. Final Faceoff next weekend at the new multipurpose building at St. Thomas. Gophers vs. Ohio State and Wisconsin vs. Mankato who upset UMD.
If Wisconsin can get past Minnesota State, they might be dangerous the rest of the way!
I don't know of any NPI calculators out there just yet, but, with as close as Northeastern (and UConn for that matter) is, I can't dismiss this logic.
The 2nd one does seem weird, though. If we beat OSU then Mankato, I can't see that dropping us enough that Northeastern only beating UConn would be enough. The other two definitely make sense.
5 years of diving and the refs still buy Murphy’s schtick.
Is losing 6 out of 8 heading into the NCAA tournament good?
