249 Posts
50 Users
119 Reactions
Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 7719
Post on old board: 10120

They are determined to keep us from full strength apparently.  We need to get the first one and get the ball rolling.  Send the husky women home with their tails between their legs! 

GO GOPHERS!! MG M  

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2458

Must be NCHC refs calling this game ?

Wilson34
(@wilson34)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 254

Got another snooze fest on our hands. 

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2458

Better second period but need to quit shooting (and missing) far and high. 

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

How did none of those go in?!!  We’ve been buzzing, keep up the pressure and they will crack!   

GoldyShuffle
(@goldyshuffle)
Lucia Level
Rep Pts: 28

Kelly Pannek is a massive downgrade on Gigi. 

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

I know this goes w/o saying but it’s so much fun to watch 81-92-89 play. Constant creativity & good engines. Keep at it Gophs!

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Nice ceremony between periods to honor the ‘02 and ‘03 championship teams.   Hope we get to do it for real in a few months! 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden
Rep Pts: 8294
Post on old board: 35040

1.....need more. Want more. Get more.....

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5567

Less than a split doesn’t sit well with me.

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

5 minutes of playing not to lose, and then on to the stupid human tricks. Whee. 

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the United States you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Less than a split doesn’t sit well with me.

Agreed.  But let’s still get the win!  

Karlsson reacted
The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4878
Post on old board: 28736

Cooley went Thomas Vanek on the bit.

3x3 is still trash but I will take it!

Eric Vegoe reacted

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 8128

Time almost over. Pressure on. Cool as the other side of the pillow. Cooley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5th game in the last 7 days. 9th game in the last 14 days.

MinnesotaKnies218
(@minnesota_knies218)
Micheletti Level
Rep Pts: 675

Too Cool 92… too cool

Karlsson
(@karlsson)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 5567

Cooley decides enough is enough and just completely dominates the ice on that shift. JFC. 

The Rube
(@the-rube)
Mariucci Level Golden

Posted by: @minnesota_knies218

Too Cool 92… too cool

I like the nickname. Let's get it to stick. "Too Cool 92."

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

That was a beauty. Thank you Cooley! 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @karlsson

Cooley decides enough is enough and just completely dominates the ice on that shift. JFC. 

When he threw the Husky down about 15 seconds before that you knew he was gonna find a way to get a chance.

He is just so dang good.

Faber was a beast today as well.

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Fun series... Two of, if not the two best teams in the country. Nice to see a very friendly exchange in the handshakes. None of the UND I wannabe a tough guy, when actually I'm not handshakes. 

Keep your stick on the ice...

bearpaw28
(@bearpaw28)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1477
Post on old board: 6912

Great Finish by Cooley barely in the nic of time & nice  assist by Faber! 

gator
(@gator)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 5940
Post on old board: 16243

Posted by: @the-rube

I like the nickname. Let's get it to stick. "Too Cool 92."

By the sounds of it, it could be "Too Cool for School" as well.

Keep your stick on the ice...

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

6 guys missed practice time (including Friday) due to being sick. 4 guys just came back from the World Juniors playing a ton of games.

These were two incredibly hard fought games between two really good teams. Tight defensive games like these are good for the team in the long run.

College Hockey Addict
(@collegehockeyaddict)
Mariucci Level

Coach just said that Huglen was missing the first half (and he knows it) but he has been back playing the way he can since the Christmas break. Coach said he calls him Huggy Bear. #GoHuggyBear 

Driftryder
(@driftryder)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 612

Great goal in OT by Cooley! The effort on that last OT shift, the skill this kid has is incredible.

This team has been fun to watch this season, they are getting better as the year goes on which is what you hope happens. The 2nd half of the season should be exciting. Go Gophers!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level
Rep Pts: 7890

Color me very impressed with St. Cloud. That’s a Frozen Four team over there. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

I disagree.  They are good, but I don't think they have the horses for a run unless they get a very favorable matchup.  

I respect the hell out of them though...if Michigan played with that much structure and passion they would win the National Title.  

I just think when the the NCAAs come around and the rinks get smaller they will break down more.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @handyman

I disagree.  They are good, but I don't think they have the horses for a run unless they get a very favorable matchup.  

I respect the hell out of them though...if Michigan played with that much structure and passion they would win the National Title.  

I just think when the the NCAAs come around and the rinks get smaller they will break down more.

Good point. It was clear they knew how to play on the big sheet. Very structured with great goaltending. 

The top 4 teams are Minnesota, Qpac, St Cloud and Denver and it’s not even close. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11345
Post on old board: 21741

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1612232732037332994?s=20&t=EwyIxgXYZWEJK_aW5xgaHQ

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden
Rep Pts: 748

Totally agree, all great players. The Gophers were able to shut them down. What a fun game to watch. Go Gophers!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

I am however very surprised that St. Cloud decided to play the ole Mankato State muck it up type game. Everything I’d heard about Cloud was that they were as fast and as up tempo as we were. I was expecting some 5-4 games this weekend. 

Again very important that the Gophers are showing they can win in different ways. 

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 11345
Post on old board: 21741

Impressed the Gophers didn't fall into the 'always trying for a home run pass' trap that the trap can can cause teams to do.  

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J22
 J22
(@j22)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2144
Post on old board: 5631

St. Cloud can skate but there isn't much talent on that team. No different than Mankato, their entire system depends on incompetent officiating.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4200
Post on old board: 9428

I hope we don’t see St.Cloud again as there were some long stretches of boring hockey. The NCHC referees should be embarrassed as they were obviously letting StCloud get away with WAY more than the Gophers, to the point of there being multiple obvious penalties not called. If we do see them again an evenly officiated game will help us. 

gopherfun83 reacted

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4807

Thank you Logan Cooley!!

Faber was outstanding today also. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

At the end of this weekend:

Snuggy 12G

Knies 12G

Cools 11G

There should be a betting line on who finishes the year with the most goals. I’ll cautiously take Knies. 

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

I am however very surprised that St. Cloud decided to play the ole Mankato State muck it up type game. Everything I’d heard about Cloud was that they were as fast and as up tempo as we were. I was expecting some 5-4 games this weekend. 

Again very important that the Gophers are showing they can win in different ways. 

I think they thought they could get under the skin of the skill players.  They knew they could not skate with us or match us in skill (few teams can) and so they looked to get us to act out of character.  It definitely worked with Brodzinski who was off his game most of the day. (not ripping him, just saying they had him on tilt)  It was a smart strategy because if they skated end to end they would have gotten boatraced.  The Gophers were clearly the faster team today and were very confident with the puck for most of it.  If they try to run with us they will likely leave too much space and block way less shots.

Honestly, I thought they would get to Cooley too cause they were throwing the kitchen sink at him (and his whole line) trying to stop him from getting good looks.  He showed a lot of poise especially in the third.  When we got the PP in the third it was obvious either the players or coaches (or both) wanted things going through him and he made the play to get the PPG.  Then in OT there is just no one that SCCC could put out there that could stop him with that much space.

3x3 OT (still trash and no I will never not say it) was likely to be a nightmare for SCCC.  We have so many D that can skate that there was going to be issues for them.  I mean you have LaCombe who obviously can play forward but watch Faber on the OT goal...not many defensemen can skate that well.  

I have zero ill will towards SCCC, I really applaud their effort and enjoyed watching them more than I have watching much of the Big Ten.  Honestly, of the former WCHA squads they are one of the few I would like us to keep playing as long as Bob is our coach.

JoeGopher
(@joegopher)
Wooger Level
Rep Pts: 336

@bigbeer 

The officials for today's game were B1G, not NCHC.

HandyNotDan
(@handyman)
Brooks Level Golden

Snuggy 12G

Knies 12G

Cools 11G

There should be a betting line on who finishes the year with the most goals. I’ll cautiously take Knies. 

I think Knies is the smart pick if you are betting.  No idea if you are gonna try and guess points though that is where it could come down to just a freak occurrence.

Better question...which of them end up First Team All Big Ten and All-American?

Cowgirl
(@cowgirl)
Mariucci Level Golden

What was the reason for today’s post game stick salute?  I really don’t want to become like every other team who does it after every game and would like to see it continue to be reserved for the ??.

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

That goal gave me flashbacks to the 2008 Final Five when we also beat SCSU with seconds left in the game.  That one was under very difference circumstances (ex. Mike Howe was a 4th liner), but I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole drive home including during all the stops for errands.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

gopherfun83
(@gopherfun83)
Micheletti Level Golden

Posted by: @cowgirl

What was the reason for today’s post game stick salute?  I really don’t want to become like every other team who does it after every game and would like to see it continue to be reserved for the ??.

Not sure, maybe since it was the only home game win of the weekend. St. Cloud also did it yesterday after the game.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @gopherfun83

Not sure, maybe since it was the only home game win of the weekend. St. Cloud also did it yesterday after the game.

Yeah but they also raise banners for winning a faceoff 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Mariucci Level

Posted by: @handyman

Snuggy 12G

Knies 12G

Cools 11G

I think Knies is the smart pick if you are betting.  No idea if you are gonna try and guess points though that is where it could come down to just a freak occurrence.

Better question...which of them end up First Team All Big Ten and All-American?

They split it up into East and West right? The committee is gonna have their hands full with this line and Western Michigan’s top line not to mention Fantilli

Kelly Red
(@kelly-red)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2402

I thought they now did it at the end of each weekend? Sweep or not.  I think of it as a thank you from the players to the fans, so reserving it for sweeps doesn’t really cut it.  

Note: Due to inflation dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

Idontknow
(@idontknow)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1185

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Posted by: @idontknow

Posted by: @eric-vegoe

Posted by: @mikeeruzione11

Any favorite bars/restaurants for Gopher fans in St. Cloud? Quick google search shows Howie's and Shooters are both very close nearby. 

Val's is the stop for food early enough, MC Dugout is also a must for a Hairy Buffalo and Red Carpet for post game entertainment... 

I've heard about Val's but haven't tried it yet. Someday, someday...

If you haven't been to 7 West Taphouse (St. Cloud or Duluth) they have great burgers and fries (and tons of beers).  Worth a try.

Thanks for the info! Planning on trying out 7 West Taphouse before the game.

So what did you think?  I ended up there myself as MCs was too crowded.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13267
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

Love the mid afternoon starts. Nice to get home before 9pm.

Great grind out win.  I feel like they played better tonight, and I thought they were going to get a second PP goal. They were buzzing on the last PP. Chesley really played well tonight. Huglen has no puck luck, but I loved his driving the net. Close played well both games. 

A couple of things they need to work on. 

1. When they are on the PP and it gets down to 5 seconds, maybe they should be aware of the guy coming out of the box. This has happened at least 3 times this year that the opponent has scored coming out of the box.

2. My only concern with Cooley is he tends to stay out much longer than his line mates. 

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 13267
Post on old board: 9626
Topic starter  

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Page 4 / 5