684 Likes
50 K Views
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2194
Post on old board: 6782
Topic starter  

Since the offseason thread is closed...time to fire up the season thread!  Let's keep this thread to general season talk, use game threads during that week for game specific talk.  Let's try not to post the same thing in both threads.  

I'll get the ball rolling.  So Cow fans have been blabbering on how hard their schedule is to start off the season.  I did a deep dive...out of their first six opponents only 3 of them are ranked, two of them in the top 10.  The Gophers first six opponents have 5 out of 6 ranked, 4 out of 6 in the top ten, with the other team receiving votes.  This is according to the USCHO poll. 

We will know what kind of team this Gopher team will be in short order with this schedule.  I know that not all of these rankings will hold even a month from now, but I am excited to see what the youth will bring to the experience we have coming back.  I am also excited to see what affect Steve Miller will have with this defensive group!

Can't wait for the puck to drop!

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Greyeagle and SkiUMahLaw reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level
Rep Pts: 7379

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1574779851885748229?s=21&t=Dg91iBp7F9_Heib_Yad5rg

Gophers #1 in CHN preseason poll

Jupiter ♃
(@jupiter)
Brooks Level Admin
Rep Pts: 5282
Post on old board: 15786

I created an FAQ post about streaming options on Bally Sports North. Be sure to check it out.

https://gopherpucklive.com/forum/faq/cord-cutting-streaming-gopher-games

Do not like how this board is run?
Get your own board!

g-manpuck reacted
jc111
(@jc111)
Rep Pts: 10

Thanks for the info on ways to stream. I will throw it out there that last year I used the BTN+ subscription to a single school for the games on Bally. They let you do that month to month for $9.95. Last year, I got away with doing only 3 months (Oct, Nov, Jan) and getting all of those Bally games. So, it was only $30 for that Bally games that way. I had Hulu so I got the other games included there. Without knowing what the TV schedule is like for Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb, this may or may not end up being cheaper than BTN+ hockey subscription.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1989

I notice Staudacher isn't on the GPL roster. Did I miss something?

Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Rep Pts: 10

@norm I'm sure Staudacher is still on the team.  Jaxon Nelson is missing too.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden
Rep Pts: 12447
Post on old board: 9626

The Farm Kid talks about this season.

https://twitter.com/GopherSports/status/1574917051478515712

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 6915
Post on old board: 18942

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10428
Post on old board: 21741

Fantastic!

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1576265217453232128?s=20&t=_lZXm0u9QEtUcX2C8VMt6g

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Greyeagle and gopher6 reacted
frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

20% of his 25 players are Gophers.

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1577373659647328265

I'm 50% factual and 50% sarcastic. When you get to know me, you will know which is which.

MNNavy
(@mnnavy)
Bonin Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1194

and nearly half (12 of 25) are from B1G schools.

Maroon M Large = 5
ugly helmets = 5
tOSU = 1
the evil empire = 1

Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes - Harry S Truman

YoungEagle
(@youngeagle)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1698

I know retired numbers have always been a hot debate here.  I found something at NC State that would be cool if the U ever decided to move forward with it.  Essentially the way it works for NC State is if you wear the number 16 (Russell Wilson's Number) your jersey will have a small patch on it recognizing the person whose number is honored.  As an example you would see a Micheletti patch on Carl Fish's jersey.   Would be a cool way to honor players who were incredible here without retiring it.  Selfishly as a lover of Gopher Hockey history it would be fun to see younger players wearing patches of previous great players here.   

'29, '40, '74, '76, '79, '02, & '03
GPL's Resident Cabin Enthusiast & Cadets Hockey Fan

MN State 0f Hockey, coondog, Slap Shot and 2 people reacted
g-manpuck
(@g-manpuck)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2194
Post on old board: 6782
Topic starter  

Well I said I would be happy with a split and that is what happened.  I don't think this team has anything to hang their head about and there is plenty of things on tape of what they did very well and need to improve on.  I had plenty of Mav friends come in to the reception after the game to let me know that they were impressed with the Gophers over what they have faced the last couple of years.  Obviously the defense and Snuggerud where the top two things that were covered.  Several fans believe Snuggy will be a one and done, I really hope not. 

I am the official Iowa Hawkeye football fan of GPL!

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden

Andy Carroll will be 26 in February. That's just plain stupid.

gopher6
(@gopher6)
Bonin Level
Rep Pts: 1223
Post on old board: 5547

Posted by: @youngeagle

I know retired numbers have always been a hot debate here.  I found something at NC State that would be cool if the U ever decided to move forward with it.  Essentially the way it works for NC State is if you wear the number 16 (Russell Wilson's Number) your jersey will have a small patch on it recognizing the person whose number is honored.  As an example you would see a Micheletti patch on Carl Fish's jersey.   Would be a cool way to honor players who were incredible here without retiring it.  Selfishly as a lover of Gopher Hockey history it would be fun to see younger players wearing patches of previous great players here.   

I thought Wilson was a badddger graduate?

Aloha!

Greyeagle
(@greyeagle)
Mayasich Level Moderator Golden
Rep Pts: 10428
Post on old board: 21741

He went to w as a free agent signing…er… transfer. 

“When your best friend is the son of God, you get tired of losing every argument.”

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Gophers stay at #2 in the polls. Will likely be #3 Nodak @ #2 Minnesota next week. If that doesn’t get you excited nothing will

MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4342

Posted by: @norm

That is absurd and totally ridiculous.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Denver's coach, who is in his 5th season as head coach, is 32.

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3910
Post on old board: 12555

Posted by: @gopher6
Posted by: @youngeagle

I thought Wilson was a badddger graduate?

He played football at Wisconsin for one season and from everything I've read, he never took a class.

Prior to that he played 3 seasons at NC State.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

https://twitter.com/B1GHockey/status/1579879598535626753

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

So far we’ve had two B1G first stars in two weeks. No one will get a star this week obviously but I’m predicting a Matthew Knies first star two weeks from now?

JWG
 JWG
(@jwg)
Leopold Level Golden
Rep Pts: 1787
Post on old board: 8686

Freshmen rule week 2. 

In the B1G 3 stars of the week... freshmen forwards killing it.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level
Rep Pts: 2290

Posted by: @maroon_and_gold

So far we’ve had two B1G first stars in two weeks. No one will get a star this week obviously but I’m predicting a Matthew Knies first star two weeks from now?

Hope you’re right! I can definitely see Knies having a big weekend against North Dakota.

Norm
 Norm
(@norm)
Leopold Level Golden

Posted by: @rau4skiumah

Hope you’re right! I can definitely see Knies having a big weekend against North Dakota.

Seems like Knies is missing Meyers alot. Those two were a perfect fit.

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Yeah, they were great together. I like Knies and Huglen on the same line but I feel like there is a better fit for that line than Brodzinski. No, this is not some anti 22 rant. But as many of us have already stated, I think it would benefit both parties if the lines were juggled and Brodzinski was put somewhere else. I just don’t know where. I wonder if it’s a bit of a crisis of confidence with him. For his sake and the sake of the team I hope he gets some mojo going.

D2D reacted
maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Knies is just trying to do a little too much right now. He’ll settle in eventually. Not nearly as bad as his play at the summer WJC. He was trying to do EVERYTHING by himself and it just wasn’t working at all. He’s looked better so far this year, which you have to remember is only 4 games old. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Yeah, they were great together. I like Knies and Huglen on the same line but I feel like there is a better fit for that line than Brodzinski. No, this is not some anti 22 rant. But as many of us have already stated, I think it would benefit both parties if the lines were juggled and Brodzinski was put somewhere else. I just don’t know where. I wonder if it’s a bit of a crisis of confidence with him. For his sake and the sake of the team I hope he gets some mojo going.

Yeah I think they should switch 22 and 18. Strobel-Nelson-Brodzinski would be a nice heavy line and Nevers creativity would compliment Huglen and Knies well. I wasn’t a fan when they stuck Nevers with Knies and Meyers last year however  because I felt like he slowed the line down, but I feel like junior Nevers has a better chance of keeping up with Huglen than sophomore Nevers had keeping up with Meyers.

Rau4SkiUMah reacted
MikeEruzione11
(@mikeeruzione11)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4342

He has had countless chances to score and hasn’t buried. I personally wouldn’t worry about him. He skates hard night in and night out.

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

He works so hard night in and night out. The floodgates will open eventually, and when they do, watch out. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

My last year hot take is that Knies was the best player on that line.

frozen4champs
(@frozen4champs)
Mayasich Level Golden

I was at this game at the X. Vanek's 1st goal. Also, recorded the game and Vanek let the "F" word out during a between period  interview with Clay Matvick that they forgot to edit out. The look on both of their faces after that was priceless. That may have started Lucia's rule of not allowing freshmen to be interviewed until Jan 1st.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1580211702708289543

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Too bad he won't likely get to use them. 

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

Love the waffle board!

thinkbui
(@thinkbui)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 933
Post on old board: 11106

There is something satisfyingly old school and simplistic about the design.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness
Not every disease is visible. Not every pain comes from an obvious wound. Some people you see day-to-day may be suffering in ways you or I may never understand and fighting just to live a normal life. Please consider contributing to the Facial Pain Association and together we can find a cure.

Chill Kessel
(@chill-kessel)
Leopold Level
Rep Pts: 1999

Posted by: @slap-shot

I suspect he will be using them quite a bit

Rau4SkiUMah
(@rau4skiumah)
Broten Level

Are they still doing the coaches show with Motzko this year? I didn’t see anything after the weekend against Mankato. 

Slap Shot
(@slap-shot)
Brooks Level Golden

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Not a game, practice.

Bigbeer
(@bigbeer)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 3909
Post on old board: 9428

Posted by: @chill-kessel

Not a game, practice.

We’re talking about practice, man

Slap Shot reacted
Gopherguy05
(@gopherguy05)
Stauber Level
Rep Pts: 831
Post on old board: 5335

Are they still doing the coaches show with Motzko this year? I didn’t see anything after the weekend against Mankato. 

They usually don't do them the week of bye weeks.  Should be back after this weekends series

RiderJake
(@riderjake)
Rep Pts: 5

Posted by: @frozen4champs

I was at this game at the X. Vanek's 1st goal. Also, recorded the game and Vanek let the "F" word out during a between period  interview with Clay Matvick that they forgot to edit out. The look on both of their faces after that was priceless. That may have started Lucia's rule of not allowing freshmen to be interviewed until Jan 1st.

https://twitter.com/GopherHockey/status/1580211702708289543

?

That's right, there's no need for freshmen to talk. It's better to let them talk only in the second year.

Hey, everybody!

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

If we don’t land Musser, should Close be offered a 5th year? (No this isn’t an overreaction to Bartoskziewicz tonight just a genuine talking point)

Bertogliat
(@bertogliat)
Broten Level Golden

If we don’t land Musser, should Close be offered a 5th year? (No this isn’t an overreaction to Bartoskziewicz tonight just a genuine talking point)

It depends on how well Bartoskziewicz plays this season. You seem to have Close on a pedestal and Bart in the gutter for some reason.  Close was the 3rd string goalie at the end of 2021.  

What about a Bart’s game last night has you so down on him?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

A bit of an overreaction on my part but it was obvious he got flustered there and Close seems so cool all the time like nothing gets to him. 

We’ll see down the stretch how Barto responds once he gains a little more experience. 

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

But sometimes people around here act like Close playing good is an accident or something. At a certain point he’s just a good goalie. I think he is. 

Steve MN
(@steve-mn)
Brooks Level Golden
Rep Pts: 4590
Post on old board: 10695

I can definitely see giving Bart a start against a good team to see how he handles pressure.  And, looking at how the goals were scored last night, there's a very good chance that Close would have let them in exactly the same.

Close appears to be a little better right now, but I don't think it would have mattered on probably the first 3 goals.

B1G refs... corrupt, or just incompetent?

maroon and gold
(@maroon_and_gold)
Brooks Level

My gut tells me Close saves one out of that 4 goal cluster. One more save is all we needed. 

Whatever. Barto will have his chances and I’m rooting for him!

streakygopher
(@streakygopher)
Broten Level Golden
Rep Pts: 2598
Post on old board: 15478

Posted by: @steve-mn

I can definitely see giving Bart a start against a good team to see how he handles pressure.  And, looking at how the goals were scored last night, there's a very good chance that Close would have let them in exactly the same.

Close appears to be a little better right now, but I don't think it would have mattered on probably the first 3 goals.

I think that's why he got the start last night. In a high-pressure, non-conference game, coach wants to see what he's got. There's so much about goaltending that's between the ears, and how he performs in a game like this may be telling.

I was hoping he could make a couple saves he had no business making, but it didn't work out that way. He was the victim of a couple bad bounces and a team that frankly let him down, but he deserves another start.

Page 1 / 26